The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 18, 2017, 07:45:06 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your Favorite 19th Century Painting  (Read 4358 times)
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #75 on: December 19, 2015, 12:58:38 pm »

Ilya Repin: Reply Of The Zaporozhian Cossacks To Sultan Mehmed IV of The Ottoman Empire

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reply_of_the_Zaporozhian_Cossacks#/media/File:Ilja_Jefimowitsch_Repin_009.jpg

That's one of my favourites, too.

I find it difficult impossible to choose a single favourite painting from any period, but I'm a great fan of the Pre-Raphaëlites. This ranks very highly among them.

Ooh, I like that^

I love landscapes with epic brooding thunderstorms. This is Puget Sound on the Pacific Coast by Albert Bierstadt

There's another one I like, but don't know the name of to look it up: a tall ship trapped in arctic ice with a black storm over hills and a polar bear in one corner. I'd love to find what it was and get a print of it someday.

It is a moody and moving piece. I can see  why it grabs you.

Have you tried google reverse images ?  If you find the picture,  copy n  paste the picture in  or the http  and it  searches for it online .  

Just tried a different sort of keyword search again, and here it is: An Arctic Summer: Boring Through the Pack in Melville Bay

~-- Purveyour of Useless Facts, Strange Advice, Plots --~
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #76 on: December 19, 2015, 09:13:08 pm »

Ilya Repin: Reply Of The Zaporozhian Cossacks To Sultan Mehmed IV of The Ottoman Empire

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reply_of_the_Zaporozhian_Cossacks#/media/File:Ilja_Jefimowitsch_Repin_009.jpg

That's one of my favourites, too.

I find it difficult impossible to choose a single favourite painting from any period, but I'm a great fan of the Pre-Raphaëlites. This ranks very highly among them.

Ooh, I like that^

I love landscapes with epic brooding thunderstorms. This is Puget Sound on the Pacific Coast by Albert Bierstadt

There's another one I like, but don't know the name of to look it up: a tall ship trapped in arctic ice with a black storm over hills and a polar bear in one corner. I'd love to find what it was and get a print of it someday.

Have you tried google reverse images ?  If you find the picture,  copy n  paste the picture in  or the http  and it  searches for it online .  

Just tried a different sort of keyword search again, and here it is: An Arctic Summer: Boring Through the Pack in Melville Bay

oooh that's pretty!

"Crazy pseudo-scot living in a fantasy world"
Khem Caigan
Zeppelin Overlord

Aut Inveniam Viam Aut Faciam

« Reply #77 on: December 21, 2015, 08:06:31 pm »

There was an artist named Cole, who did a series of paintings on the ages of man. The first one is of childhood, with Heaven in the background...don't recall the name, but I likes it...Wink

There is a virtual gallery dedicated to the works of Thomas Cole,
featuring his Voyage of Life series, here :

http://tinyurl.com/btcgroo

Some history and discussion of these works can be found there.

Cole is still very popular up here in the Kaatskills of New York
and, if you have a GPS unit handy, you may visit many of the
places where he, along with many other artists of the Hudson
River School
, set up easels along the trails at North-South
Lake Park

"Let us create vessels and sails fashioned for the heavenly Æther, for there
will be plenty of people who do not shrink from the vastness of space."
~ Johannes Kepler, letter to Galileo Galilei, 1609.
Khem Caigan
Zeppelin Overlord

Aut Inveniam Viam Aut Faciam

« Reply #78 on: December 21, 2015, 08:14:06 pm »

What is your favorite painting from the 1800's ?

Arnold Böcklin's Isle of the Dead.

Always drop by for a visit when I'm in Manhattan.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 07:21:26 pm by Khem Caigan » Logged
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #79 on: December 22, 2015, 12:43:34 am »

It's very hard to pick a 'true' favourite as there are so many to choose from. Apart from the Cezanne I chose early on in the thread there are still heaps of others I really like.

I am another vote for the Pre-Raphaelites, also like Klimt, and some of the Fauves, the 'Blue Rider' school (It is a pity that the cream of the 'Blue Rider' school were killed in WWI.), and I quite like that Mucha a few pages back - very Art Nouveau!

You could probably tell from most of my choices that I am very much a colourist - think Kandinsky - but am more inclined to favour individual paintings than necessarily all the artists' work. Some 'Blue' & 'Rose' period Picasso for example, but not all his genres. I also find that to some extent the character of the artist also influences my choices - Picasso was right bastard, for example, but Marc Chagall was not!
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #80 on: December 22, 2015, 05:38:04 am »

[/quote]

Persistence paid off !!

They must have been very bleak exploration  voyages back in the day
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: