The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 20, 2017, 06:22:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nosferatu (1922)  (Read 662 times)
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« on: October 02, 2015, 11:18:50 am »

This classic of the silent film era is the first screen adaptation of Bram Stoker's Dracula. The problem is, they didn't bother to secure the rights from Stoker's widow. Murnau's version changed names and locations (Orlock for Dracula, Bremen for London, etc.), hoping she wouldn't notice, but she did. She sued, and the court ordered all copies of the film destroyed. Luckily for us, some slipped past the pyre.

Nosferatu, a Symphony of Horror - F. W. Murnau (1922) HD - 2005-06 restored version - Full Movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fay_SoxvxUo
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 07:36:33 pm »

This classic of the silent film era is the first screen adaptation of Bram Stoker's Dracula. The problem is, they didn't bother to secure the rights from Stoker's widow. Murnau's version changed names and locations (Orlock for Dracula, Bremen for London, etc.), hoping she wouldn't notice, but she did. She sued, and the court ordered all copies of the film destroyed. Luckily for us, some slipped past the pyre.

Nosferatu, a Symphony of Horror - F. W. Murnau (1922) HD - 2005-06 restored version - Full Movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fay_SoxvxUo

Loved Max Schreck's look in that film, and the scenes that set the benchmark for those who followed - Count Orlok pivoting bolt upright from his coffin, the vampire's shadow ascending the stairs then the hand over Ellen's heart...

By the way, what do you think of Shadow of the Vampire?

Yours,
Miranda.

GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 03:06:42 am »

Pretty genius, actually. It runs a bit slow for the tastes of modern audiences, but as a (classic) horror geek I thought it was a brilliant concept with acceptable execution. For its high concept it could have come out far worse than it did, so I give the film full marks. Not a great film, but it still exceeded my expectations, and it is still a far sight better than many other so-called horror films. It's on my list to add to the collection.

And you?
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 04:47:48 am »

...the vampire's shadow ascending the stairs...

Just for you, Ms. Miranda (nobody else look!), some Halloween Horror Humour:

http://www.teefury.com/come-on-scoob

http://www.teefury.com/arf
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2015, 11:21:52 am »

Grin!

Scooby Doo meets Nosferatu - it's only a matter of time...

Yours,
Miranda.

Pretty genius, actually. It runs a bit slow for the tastes of modern audiences, but as a (classic) horror geek I thought it was a brilliant concept with acceptable execution. For its high concept it could have come out far worse than it did, so I give the film full marks. Not a great film, but it still exceeded my expectations, and it is still a far sight better than many other so-called horror films. It's on my list to add to the collection.

And you?

Yes, we saw this one way back BC (Before Children) at our local arts cinema (used to see quite a few off-beat things there, releases by Almodóvar and such like; now I'm for more familiar with the 3D 'family' animations - no doubt there will be a trip to Hotel Transylvania 2 in the near future). We liked it; a neat twist on the tale, nice black humour and some good horror moments in its own right. Got to watch it again recently via a 'Film 4' transmission, which was nice. Now if they'd just show Dance of the Vampires again (I've and old VHS recording which is pretty ropey and unwatchable...)

Yours,
Miranda.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 11:36:02 am by Miranda.T » Logged
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2015, 05:19:16 pm »

...Now if they'd just show Dance of the Vampires again (I've and old VHS recording which is pretty ropey and unwatchable...)

Yours,
Miranda.

Ah! Another good black comedy ("Oy! Have you got the wrong vampire..."). We managed to score it on DVD somewhere. I'll look it up and give you the SKU or whatever it is that substitutes for an ISBN number for videos.
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2015, 06:25:17 pm »

'The Fearless Vampire Killers, or Pardon Me, But Your Teeth Are in My Neck' (shortened to 'The Fearless Vampire Killers' and originally released in the UK as Dance of the Vampires) is available on Amazon for £8 new or £6 used under the 'Fearless Vampire Killers' title.

Or under the title 'Dance Of The Vampires' on (Region B) Blu-ray for about £10.

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2015, 06:45:08 pm »

Thanks! I'd forgotten that my DVD's information wouldn't be any good for players in the U.K.
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2015, 06:46:19 pm »

Thanks! I'd forgotten that my DVD's information wouldn't be any good for players in the U.K.

Be alright for mine...all regions...all codes.
I find it easier.  Wink
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2015, 06:48:31 pm »

Yeah, I'm going to have to look into one of those, since some of the titles I want I can only find in non-Region 1 formats.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2015, 07:47:56 pm »

'The Fearless Vampire Killers, or Pardon Me, But Your Teeth Are in My Neck' (shortened to 'The Fearless Vampire Killers' and originally released in the UK as Dance of the Vampires) is available on Amazon for £8 new or £6 used under the 'Fearless Vampire Killers' title.

Or under the title 'Dance Of The Vampires' on (Region B) Blu-ray for about £10.

Many thanks - I shall have to add it to my Christmas list. It always used to have a fairly regular airing on the broadcast channels but it hasn't been shown for a while, although I can guarantee that the week after we buy it, it will be on...

Yours,
Miranda.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2015, 07:58:09 pm »

Many thanks - I shall have to add it to my Christmas list. It always used to have a fairly regular airing on the broadcast channels but it hasn't been shown for a while, although I can guarantee that the week after we buy it, it will be on...

Isn't that always the case? And it happens with everything. Several years ago, my lady was desperately searching for a gravy boat...any gravy boat. She finally found one at a restaurant supply store. Now? They're flippin' everywhere...
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2015, 08:08:32 pm »

Isn't that always the case? And it happens with everything. Several years ago, my lady was desperately searching for a gravy boat...any gravy boat. She finally found one at a restaurant supply store. Now? They're flippin' everywhere...

I know that feeling! A few years ago my mother wished for a new three-tier cake stand, as my father had been a little clumsy with theirs... We looked everywhere with no success; eventually I found a set of vintage china plates of different sizes in a charity shop, and my father drilled them out to add the stand from the original one. Now, with the current popularity for vintage styling in the UK, they are in all the homeware shops.

Yours,
Miranda.
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2015, 05:16:58 am »

I was looking for watch parts years ago, you know, gears and such...
now there everywhere! Roll Eyes

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2015, 07:39:16 pm »

We've developed a theory for this phenomenon...

A single person is frantically and furiously asking around for a (gravy boat, three-tiered cake stand, watch parts, etc.) absolutely everywhere, to no effect. However, the sales representatives of each establishment hear of this search, and put in a call to suppliers. The suppliers hear from every place at which the one person made inquiries, and come to the conclusion that there is suddenly a high demand for said product. The market is then flooded with same, with suppliers being unaware that the apparent stampede of inquiries can be sourced to the original seeker only.

This may be good for all those coming behind, but meanwhile the original person, who has since either found the item at a highly specialized shop or fabricated what they needed from parts, is almost literally stumbling across these same items, their appearance neither bidden nor sought, for them to proclaim, "What the --? Where were all of these when I needed them?"
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2015, 07:09:52 pm »

Hey, Miranda T! I found this nice review:

Halloween Horror Movies 2015 - Day 6 - SHADOW OF THE VAMPIRE
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/10/06/1425156/-Halloween-Horror-Movies-2015-Day-6-SHADOW-OF-THE-VAMPIRE

After reading this, now I really have to get DVD. I saw this soooo very long ago.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: