The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 17, 2017, 10:50:56 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jekyll & Hyde the Musical  (Read 348 times)
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« on: October 02, 2015, 09:17:03 am »

Now, here's a production with an odd history. What started off as a really good, dark musical that got rave reviews during its original runs pre-Broadway got "cleaned up" for Broadway where that production was widely panned. If you were one of the lucky ones who got to see the "original" version (and even then one didn't necessarily see the same show from night to night, as it was a work in progress), and you were enthralled with that production, you would be one of the ones who wouldn't recognize much from the final "official" product.

For comparison, we'll look at three different versions. I wasn't able to find the original concept album online with Colm Wilkinson as the lead (but you should definitely obtain a copy if you can), but here's the closest I can find for you for free online. Note that the host site says this is the original concept album, but it isn't; this one features Anthony Warlow in the lead. This music stayed the same throughout the original "trial" runs in Houston and elsewhere, with the principal changes being made to staging, so this auditory experience will be the closest to what the producers intended and the audiences loved that you'll be able to get.

(This is the first link to the album; if you listen to this on YouTube it will flow into the remaining numbers without interruption.)

Jekyll & Hyde - 1. Prologue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi8uEnyz4fo&list=PLg2TFrrlrvGGSNrmGO38PHr-3GtwiW8SU

The next two versions are the "same", but with different performers in the lead. This first one is the rehearsal for the official DVD version of the final Broadway product. Features Rob Evan in the lead.

Jekyll & Hyde: The Musical

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ4uADMtmj8

And this last is the "official", final Broadway version, with David Hasselfhoff in the dual roles.

Jekyll & Hyde: The Musical Act I.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAQKsUolXGU

To give you some sort of an idea as to just how different the two shows were even in their staging, the penultimate* number "Confrontation" as originally presented features the Jekyll and Hyde duet with Jekyll physically present on stage but the Hyde part represented, in a pre-recorded bit, as a red-tinted, severe closeup in a large mirror, which Jekyll shatters at the end of the number. Compare that to how it is done in the Broadway production.

So, I throw this (appropriately seasonal) discussion open to you, gentle readers. Which version(s) do you prefer, and why?

*Some have argued that this should have been the final number, and I tend to agree, as the show's ending in all versions is "The Wedding Reception", which presents a weak climax to the show compared to what could have been by having "Confrontation" close the show.
petrichor-and-clockwork
Deck Hand

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 07:21:41 pm »

OOO! I reccomend the Anthony Warlow version. It's a personal favorite of mine, though Act 2 drags on for a bit. Seriously, if you skip everything else in act 2, just listen to "The World Has Gone Insane" and "Confrontation". Warlow's tone in Confrontation is splendid, and I didn't realize they could actually make a backing track sound steampunk, but they managed with The World!
Also, don't... just save yourself some tears and don't watch the HassleHyde version. Bless his heart, but the man CANNOT fill this role.
Or, go ahead and watch it, and just laugh at his faces in "Dangerous Game". It's your choice, though I reccomend listening to the Warlow version first.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 02:58:16 am »

As familiar as I am with the concept album, I already tend to skip any bit that doesn't feature Wilkinson/Warlow and/or Linda Eder.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: