The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 20, 2017, 04:30:38 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My daughter wants a steampunk wedding!  (Read 1143 times)
Jimbob
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: October 01, 2015, 03:36:14 pm »

I am new to steampunk but did tell my daughter about the fabulous gear I saw at Lincoln Castle. She now wants a steampunk wedding. At last I now have the excuse I need to get a full outfit. I was dreading buying a new suit but now can't wait to get some great gear!

All we have to do now is start planning Smiley

Jimbob aka Heracles J Ramshadow

Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 09:15:28 pm »

great! sounds like a great wedding already!

"Crazy pseudo-scot living in a fantasy world"
pakled
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Minions Local 305, at your thervice!

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 05:20:37 pm »

...then you know you've raised her right...Wink
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 05:44:36 pm »

I'll just leave this here  http://www.steampunkdj.co.uk/

Whereabouts will the wedding be?

Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish

www.steampunkdj.co.uk  Please follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SteampunkDJ & Facebook https://www.facebook.com/steampunkdj
Jimbob
Deck Hand

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 06:21:58 pm »

The wedding will be in Knutsford, Cheshire but not till Nov 16!

I am already looking at outfits Smiley

JB
Serrac
Officer

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 12:22:55 am »

A steampunk wedding just screams out for a period photographer complete with a plate camera....

If I leave my grin behind, remind me that we are all mad here. (SJ Tucker: Cheshire kitten)
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 12:41:38 am »

The wedding will be in Knutsford, Cheshire but not till Nov 16!

I am already looking at outfits Smiley

JB

Seems to be the year for Steampunk weddings.  I have several booked already.
pharris74
Swab

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2015, 10:07:10 pm »

Hi guys
really need some help, i'm going to be best man at a steampunk wedding next july and although i can look on the internet for ideas, i really need someone to help me work this out in my head and help with the shopping, i need to know where and what, i'm in south east uk so brighton and london are easy enough, is there some angelic soul out there who can help me out

many thanks for reading

paul
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2015, 10:14:10 pm »

Hi guys
really need some help, i'm going to be best man at a steampunk wedding next july and although i can look on the internet for ideas, i really need someone to help me work this out in my head and help with the shopping, i need to know where and what, i'm in south east uk so brighton and london are easy enough, is there some angelic soul out there who can help me out

many thanks for reading

paul

it may be an idea to post in anathomical, lots of lovely people to help you there!
Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2015, 10:25:28 pm »

A steampunk wedding just screams out for a period photographer complete with a plate camera....

On a related note, this gives me an idea for a SteamPunk mod.

Make a period camera enclosure that holds and operates a modern camera inside.

Thus it looks old-timey, but works on the new-tech that gets the job done.
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2015, 10:38:47 pm »

Hi guys

many thanks for reading

paul
Is there a colour scheme / pallet you have to stick to?

Most "wedding suits" already look quite Steampunk as they are based around Victorian / Edwardian designs.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2015, 11:02:52 pm »

Hi guys

many thanks for reading

paul

Be grateful that as best man you at least won't have to wear a corset (probably)!  My advice, for what it is worth, is to ask the bride and groom what sort of look they want and take it from there.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2015, 12:08:44 am »

I hope to give this a go at some point -I have a small bellows-style camera body (circa 1920s or 30s) that I would like to integrate with a old digital model. The fact I haven't done so yet is due to the fact I want to ascertain how to do this without any permanent modifications to the vintage piece.

Hi guys

many thanks for reading

paul

Be grateful that as best man you at least won't have to wear a corset (probably)!  My advice, for what it is worth, is to ask the bride and groom what sort of look they want and take it from there.

I have to agree - usually the best man follows the groom's lead, so what planned there probably needs to be clarified.

Yours,
Miranda.
Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2015, 12:09:54 am »

Hi guys

many thanks for reading

paul

It might be as easy as find out what the colors are, get a 3 piece suit of a victorian-compatible style that matches and add a few Steampunk gadgets ( a cane, goggles, or techno-wrist band or arm/leg brace) and you're in the club
Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2015, 12:16:12 am »

I hope to give this a go at some point -I have a small bellows-style camera body (circa 1920s or 30s) that I would like to integrate with a old digital model. The fact I haven't done so yet is due to the fact I want to ascertain how to do this without any permanent modifications to the vintage piece.

Hopefully we're not side-tracking the thread.  I see the camera-shell idea as a way to embed a steampunk photographer so they stay in character, but you get the fancy photos you'll want.

For Miranda's old camera body, consider instead using that as a model to make your shell.  Thus, you don't damage the antique, but use it as a design guide for the prop.

On aspect I considered, is the old timey cameras had that cloth drape over the back that the photographer hunched under to take the shot.  This means you can hide the entire real camera in there with an open back, so you can get to it's controls. Just mount the camera near the front of the box, in alignment with the external aperture, and the back of the box is empty for you to see the LCD screen and stick your hand in there to take the shot (or push the button if you have a quick-release rigged up)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: