The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 15, 2017, 06:47:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Real Jerks of the 19th Century  (Read 2247 times)
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2015, 12:51:27 am »

Maybe not a person but a place which gets my asshat award for suffering above and beyond the call of duty. Bedlam.

It spawned generations of manipulative controlling (and possibly insane) wardens and custodians. Where were all the psychos in and around 1880's London? In bedlam of course! Putting the beat down on the nutters.

By the gods that place you didn't want to find yourself in EVER.

Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2015, 01:22:01 am »

Reverend Samuel Marsden, aka "The Flogging Parson". Took great delight in having convicts flogged half to death if not all the way. As a magistrate there were limits on the number of lashes that could be ordered, but Marsden ignored that and dished out as many as he wanted to on the day. Unfortunately he had access to a lot of convicts. He did not flog personally, but took obscene pleasure in watching the pain and horrific damage inflicted during a sentence of 100 or 150 lashes. Apparently he watched every flogging he ordered to make sure the flogger did the job properly, 'crossed the cuts' and caused as much pain and suffering as possible. No doubt he got a good deal of pleasure from the occasion as well. Marsden had an intense dislike of the Irish, Catholics in general and Irish Catholics in particular,

"The number of Catholic Convicts is very great... and these in general composed of the lowest class of the Irish nation; who are the most wild, ignorant and savage Race that were ever favoured with the light of Civilization; men that have been familiar with ... every horrid Crime from their Infancy. Their minds being Destitute of every Principle of Religion & Morality render them capable of perpetrating the most nefarious Acts in cool Blood. As they never appear to reflect upon Consequences; but to be ... always alive to Rebellion and Mischief, they are very dangerous members of Society. No Confidence whatever can be placed in them..."

In 1806 Marsden was the originator of the New South Wales "Female Register", which classed all women in the colony (excepting some widows) as either 'married' or 'concubine'. Only marriages within the Church of England, including those celebrated by Marsden, were recognized as legitimate on this list; women who married in Catholic or Jewish ceremonies were automatically classed as concubines.

Marsden had a very high regard for New Zealand, as it wasn't a convict settlement. The Australian poet Kenneth Slessor wrote a rather unflattering poem about him, called "Vesper-Song Of The Reverend Samuel Marsden" which just about sums him up.

"MY cure of souls, my cage of brutes,
Go lick and learn at these my boots!
When tainted highways tear a hole,
I bid my cobbler welt the sole.
O, ye that wear the boots of Hell,
Shall I not welt a soul as well?
O, souls that leak with holes of sin,
Shall I not let God's leather in,
Or hit with sacramental knout
Your twice-convicted vileness out?
Lord, I have sung with ceaseless lips
A tinker's litany of whips,
Have graved another Testament
On backs bowed down and bodies bent.
My stripes of jewelled blood repeat
A scarlet Grace for holy meat.
Not mine, the Hand that writes the weal
On this, my vellum of puffed veal,
Not mine, the glory that endures,
But Yours, dear God, entirely Yours.
Are there not Saints in holier skies
Who have been scourged to Paradise?
O, Lord, when I have come to that,
Grant there may be a Heavenly Cat
With twice as many tails as here—
And make me, God, Your Overseer.
But if the veins of Saints be dead,
Grant me a whip in Hell instead,
Where blood is not so hard to fetch.
But I, Lord, am Your humble wretch."
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2015, 01:27:31 am »

The arse-hole gallery is filling up nicely.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2015, 02:13:43 am »

Maybe not a person but a place which gets my asshat award for suffering above and beyond the call of duty. Bedlam...

We'll file that under "Institutional Evil" next to the Magdalen Laundries.

Reverend Samuel Marsden, aka "The Flogging Parson". Took great delight in having convicts flogged half to death if not all the way. As a magistrate there were limits on the number of lashes that could be ordered, but Marsden ignored that and dished out as many as he wanted to on the day. Unfortunately he had access to a lot of convicts. He did not flog personally, but took obscene pleasure in watching the pain and horrific damage inflicted during a sentence of 100 or 150 lashes. Apparently he watched every flogging he ordered to make sure the flogger did the job properly, 'crossed the cuts' and caused as much pain and suffering as possible...

Yep; I'd say he definitely qualifies.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2015, 02:18:34 am »

The arse-hole gallery is filling up nicely.

Indeed. We'll likely have two more once Atterton gives us more information on Bell and Peary.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2015, 06:29:11 am »

Thanks!

I've been trying to find the whole movie, but save one or two real dodgy websites which promise a full movie only the 4 you tube videos seem to be the way to watch it.  The first video has a really interesting beginning but screwed up audio toward the end of the video, and the second video has a really interesting background development (retrospective)  scenes. The first video shows the assassination attempt, and the other videos develop the back-story events leading to the attempt. Then they jump back and forward into the present to show the lynching of the would be assassin.

They went a bit overboard on the grunge, but the costuming and cinematography is beautiful showing some of the up/down class structure and race/colour of skin social structure as well you see the European and Native aspects of this hybrid society), it describes some of the social atrocities of the time stemming from the progress, such as the forced mobilization of Northern Mexican Natives by train.

The movie has nice frames of trains in action. Some salacious and even kinky love scenes  Grin, I even saw an Edison Phonograph mounted on a bike  Grin  Great Steampunk idea for Mr. Bicycle builder.  Grin  I haven't seen the other two videos yet - I'll watch them tomorrow, but the movie is good for the images, if a bit slow on the pace (I guess that's to be expected of an Indie film, right?).
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 06:34:05 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

creagmor
Zeppelin Captain
South Africa South Africa

« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2016, 05:45:39 pm »

What say you about Cecil Rhodes? I think he fits the period.

“Love is an emotional thing, and whatever is emotional is opposed to that cold true reason which I place above all things.” Sherlock Holmes, in The Sign of Four.
BGHilton
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2016, 03:44:12 am »

Leopold II of Belgium?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leopold_II_of_Belgium
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2016, 12:33:17 am »

Leopold II was NOT a very nice person!

If we were to have a page for 'Heroes of the First Quarter of the 20th Century', his grandson Albert, King of Belgium during WWI would most definitely qualify!

GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2016, 10:37:35 pm »

What say you about Cecil Rhodes? I think he fits the period.

Oh, he absolutely belongs on this list.

Bagged and tagged on page one.

Hey, Atterton:  We're still waiting to hear from you re:  Bell's scam and whatever Peary did. I know I'm curious, and I can't be the only one...

What do we say about Sir Henry Bartle Edward Frere, 1st Baronet and Lt. General Frederic Augustus Thesiger, 2nd Baron Chelmsford for instigating the Anglo-Zulu War?
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2016, 11:20:24 pm »

Sir James Brooke, Rajah of Sarawak
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Brooke

Only in the wiki about beautiful civiliser and the wrestler with the pirates And actually, bloody adventurer.

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2016, 11:40:54 pm »

Only in the wiki about beautiful civiliser and the wrestler with the pirates And actually, bloody adventurer.

I've never heard of this fellow before, but he bears further investigation. However, quoting from your linked article, "...His own abilities, and those of his successors, provided Sarawak with excellent leadership and wealth generation during difficult times, and resulted in both fame and notoriety in some circles. His appointment as Rajah by the Sultan, and his subsequent knighthood, is evidence that his efforts were widely applauded in both Sarawak and British society..."

Who else has heard of Sir James? Those of you who have, please weigh in.
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2016, 11:59:55 pm »

I've never heard of this fellow before, but he bears further investigation. However, quoting from your linked article, "...His own abilities, and those of his successors, provided Sarawak with excellent leadership and wealth generation during difficult times, and resulted in both fame and notoriety in some circles. His appointment as Rajah by the Sultan, and his subsequent knighthood, is evidence that his efforts were widely applauded in both Sarawak and British society..."

Who else has heard of Sir James? Those of you who have, please weigh in.

The British Empire was to protest against what he has put under its control this area?
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2016, 01:25:53 am »

Okay, it looks like we're having a language difficulty, and I can't tell if we're in agreement or disagreement.

(And, I agree about online translation tools; for all I know, I've suggested unmentionable acts with farm animals in multiple languages instead of asking "Where's the library?" as intended...)

Are you suggesting the British were unhappy with Brooke supplanting their authority in the area, that the Sarawak/Malay locals were unhappy having such close ties to a foreign power, or...?

If there's anyone else out there who can help morozow and I with the language barrier it would be greatly appreciated.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2016, 07:26:43 pm »

Peary stole a meteorite from the snow people.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2016, 09:57:10 pm »

Flash Gordon saved the Clay People.
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2016, 09:15:35 am »

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen.

Your post intrigued me, so I went around to Wiki:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cape_York_meteorite

What a strange adventure, to be sure.

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily

RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2016, 09:22:27 pm »

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily

From the sounds of things, the meteor was "stolen" from people that didn't really consider it to be property.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2016, 09:33:00 pm »

I think that goes for a lot of "stolen" cultural objects.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2016, 05:42:10 pm »

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily

Having read the information provided by Prof. Cecily, Atterton, Peary really pulled a d**k move (removing it for a tidy profit). However, we have to ask ourselves if this went above and beyond the (then) norm. Let us consider all the explorers (in this case a euphemism for grave robbers and other cultural exploitation) who likewise "rescued" artifacts, antiquities, and/or natural resources from their rightful owners, all in the name of science (in this case, a euphemism for fame and profit).

What say you, followers of this thread:  Should Peary be on the list for this sin, or no? Please discuss.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2016, 06:23:25 pm »

Given my uncertainty on including Peary on the list (I await, of course, your commentary before making up my mind), it reminds me of my hesitation to include any of the murderers from the Colfax Massacre (the Reconstruction incident leading to the horrid U.S. v Cruikshank decision), because there is simply so much blame to go around. Keeping in mind that we're looking for the exceptionally bad actors from an era whose societal norms are radically different (well...in many cases) from today's, can we single out a handful from this atrocity, not being certain who the ringleaders were? The first person I'd like to include would be Christopher Columbus Nash, who appears to have led the group in addition to having earlier murdered his political rival, but this behavior was rampant across the Reconstruction South (and, like everyone else involved at Colfax, he was never convicted).

How should something like this be handled for the purposes of our "above and beyond" criteria for bad actors?
keithjones
Gunner

« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2016, 02:44:37 am »

I'll throw in Thomas Edison.  "The War of the Currents"  would be fodder for an entire website.  Long story short - Tesla = AC, Edison = DC, the dogs of Menlo Park, NJ were not safe due to Edison's monomania in proving that AC current is a Bad Thing.

And then there was Henry Clay Frick.  Rhymes with dick.  As a member of the South Fork Fishing and Hunting Club, he along with other members of the club, didn't believe in maintenance of what was the world's largest earthen dam.  The operative word is "was", the dam broke, resulting in the Johnstown Flood.  If that wasn't bad enough, as a partner in the Carnegie Steel Company, his actions, including imposition of a 12 hour work day, resulted in the Homestead Strike, resulting in 9 strikers killed and the need for 8,000 state militia members to quell the strike.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2016, 01:19:31 pm »

Flash Gordon saved the Clay People.

Video killed the radio star.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2016, 01:21:47 pm »

I'll throw in Thomas Edison.  "The War of the Currents"  would be fodder for an entire website.  Long story short - Tesla = AC, Edison = DC, the dogs of Menlo Park, NJ were not safe due to Edison's monomania in proving that AC current is a Bad Thing.

And then there was Henry Clay Frick.  Rhymes with dick.  As a member of the South Fork Fishing and Hunting Club, he along with other members of the club, didn't believe in maintenance of what was the world's largest earthen dam.  The operative word is "was", the dam broke, resulting in the Johnstown Flood.  If that wasn't bad enough, as a partner in the Carnegie Steel Company, his actions, including imposition of a 12 hour work day, resulted in the Homestead Strike, resulting in 9 strikers killed and the need for 8,000 state militia members to quell the strike.

Edison's bagged and tagged on page one. I definitely lean towards adding Frick to the list; what say the populace?
keithjones
Gunner

« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2016, 01:29:49 am »

"Edison's bagged and tagged on page one"  I need new spectacles!
I have a very indirect connection to Frick.  Frick mentored Charles M. Schwab (not the investor guy) who became president of Bethlehem Steel - my great-grandfather worked there during his tenure.  I posted a picture of Schwab's mansion in the Steampunk Places area.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: