The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 13, 2017, 10:16:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk Swords 2: Steampunk Melee Weapon  (Read 1195 times)
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« on: September 19, 2015, 09:07:26 pm »

Because i don't want to netcromance a long dead thread and i want to branch out to other type of melee weapon, here whole new thread on those subjects.

Lets rock and|or roll:

Anything here:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlxU3AJ6UGk&list=PLxClq4a6GD70OeFq6TsjoX74KTvL0BuWm&index=1

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKoH1SOJVrc&list=PLxClq4a6GD70OeFq6TsjoX74KTvL0BuWm&index=2

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL5-mUB1-L0&index=3&list=PLxClq4a6GD70OeFq6TsjoX74KTvL0BuWm

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEtgUGMeyFM&list=PLxClq4a6GD70OeFq6TsjoX74KTvL0BuWm&index=8

Pickaxe
Energy Sword
Rail Mallet

« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 09:20:28 pm by chicar » Logged

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 04:28:13 pm »

following this thread and watching the videos when I can

"Crazy pseudo-scot living in a fantasy world"
Keith_Beef
Snr. Officer
France France

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 08:55:37 pm »

That monster khukuri looks interesting… for water-buffalo sacrifices?

--
Keith
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 09:39:45 pm »

The Bowie (first video, around the 8:30 mark) can indeed be used for chopping attacks. However, the Texican method of using the knife involves holding the blade edge up. One uses the thick spine (the unsharpened back of the blade) to parry the opponent's weapon, then slashing upwards in the belly for disembowelment.

The small, curved oriental blade from the same video, the one with the ring pommel, does anyone know what that is called?
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 01:09:45 am »

The Bowie (first video, around the 8:30 mark) can indeed be used for chopping attacks. However, the Texican method of using the knife involves holding the blade edge up. One uses the thick spine (the unsharpened back of the blade) to parry the opponent's weapon, then slashing upwards in the belly for disembowelment.

Is that blade extending from the thumb or little finger?

We used to use blade downward in combination with a good hard steel bracer with a lambs wool quilting underneath. Sure you feel the hits but defensively it feels very natural.

Where may I discover more information on the Texan fighting style? These things do intrigue me in a purely intellectual sense, of course.

The one thing I have seen making an appearance (mores the pity) are zombie knives, properly build nasty little weapons with lurid green handles for some reason. My better heavier chain-work would shrug them off but still. If they find you on the street with it in "jolly old England" then it's up to 2 years in the nick and 5000 sovereigns.

Armour on the other hand. Wear as much as you like no one batts an eye. Smiley

Like the videos. Cheesy
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 01:22:59 am by Clym Angus » Logged

GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 01:52:10 am »

Is that blade extending from the thumb or little finger?

I'm not sure I follow the question, unless you're asking about forward or backhand style. If that's what you're asking, then forward, so I suppose the thumb.

Where may I discover more information on the Texan fighting style? These things do intrigue me in a purely intellectual sense, of course.

Now, that is a good question...for which I do not have a good answer. I was taught how to do it this way, and additionally I've encountered numerous smiths and historians who verify that this is the "correct" historical style.

Doing a quick search, I did find this page, which you might try:  http://bowieknifefightsfighters.blogspot.com/  The author of that blog also has a book, which may be available for download.
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 02:24:58 am »

Excellent site. I will review in the mean time however....

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWl8EbNN8NM

GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 02:41:10 am »

Excellent site. I will review in the mean time however....

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWl8EbNN8NM

Ha!

Y'know, we still quote that line...
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2015, 02:52:28 am »

It is a good line. There is the sh*t that calls itself a knife that snaps on my maille. Then there is the bowie.

I have a lot of respect for that blade. Simplicity, efficiency and it looks good to.
Steampunk Away
Zeppelin Captain

Long Live The Icarus!

https://twitter.com/Steam
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2015, 03:12:06 am »

The monster Kukri reminds me of a yataghan, a Persian weapon with a Kopis style blade. It commonly only had ornamental langets, no guard, and a dovetail pommel made from two pieces of wood surrounding a strip of metal (separate from the tang).

Welcome aboard Steampunk Away! We are a small custom order shop, creating jewelry, props, costumes, drawings, and models. Email us at steampunkaway@gmail.com to have us create your special order on commission! Have a mechanical day!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: