The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 20, 2017, 04:36:47 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spam safari?  (Read 976 times)
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« on: September 17, 2015, 08:39:24 am »

I just had a sickly twisted idea for a forum game.

what if we transferred spam posts into a seperate subforum and the first person to reply to them with a screen cap image gets to claim it as a trophy.

Maybe keep a tally file of the post numbers you've bagged. the only clue of a wild spam about the forums is the moved file notice on the forums, no link to the safari subforum. you just have to jump over to the sub forum and open the right spam grab a screen cap and post it as a reply. Bamph first post gets to claim the trophy.

then all signs elsewhere get deleted. Big game hunters can maybe post their trophies in a pinned thread or two and edit update the post with each trophy.

Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 12:34:27 pm »

Sick, twisted and evil, rovingjack!
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 01:10:00 am »

Hmmm
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 09:21:16 am »

Oooh, this sounds fun. The concept has shown up before in the now-perished Amusing Spam thread, and screencapping sounds like it would circumvent the issues that made Proteus close the old thread.

Maybe we could just start a trophy-room thread here in the engine room (off-topic doesn't seem quite right) and award trophy points for posting a screencap? No need to mess about with moving the spam around or creating a new subforum, just snag a screenshot before the mods delete it. (I kind of doubt the mods want the extra work of moving posts and waiting around for someone to bag them before deleting them permanently.)

~-- Purveyour of Useless Facts, Strange Advice, Plots --~
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 01:44:51 pm »

Please, what is a screencap?
Major Vincent Smith
Eccentric Gentleman
Board Moderator
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Vampyre Lord of the Twilight Overlord of Hellfire

jacknife98
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 02:13:06 pm »

A screen cap is more commonly known as a screenshot.

I think I'm fairly safe in saying on behalf of all the mods, we'd rather not mess around more than we need with spam. I quite like the idea of you guys trying to catch it before we delete it. Some mods ban then delete the post, some delete the post and then ban, depending on the time of day it will vary. Makes it into a bit of a competition to see if the mods can delete it before anyone can grab it, not just who can grab it first. Sounds like harmless fun to me.

Spammers Flattened: 52
"Not on my watch!"
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 07:18:33 pm »

Please, what is a screencap?

Is this your card...?

Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 09:44:42 pm »

I can't avoid the obvious pun - this spam safari sounds like a canned hunt.     Grin

But seriously - capturing the spam and releasing it into the confines of a designated sub-forum for we hunters to come in and race to take the first pot-shots at it, is the very same style of artificial 'hunt' we are accusing that Dentist of conducting lately.

I say 'no', the spambeasts should be allowed to roam freely on the vast open Savannah of our forum, grazing on the green grass of the gullible link-clickers.... until one of us follows its spoor and puts both barrels of the trusty .375H&H spamhammer straight through its vitals.

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
Major Vincent Smith
Eccentric Gentleman
Board Moderator
Snr. Officer

Vampyre Lord of the Twilight Overlord of Hellfire

jacknife98
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 08:00:44 pm »

Indeed, like I said, we'd rather not fiddle with it Smiley
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2015, 07:37:14 am »

yes, yes, I know. the suggestion of putting them in the forum equivalent of a park was due to the desire to not have them cluttering up the rest of the forums.
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2015, 12:02:01 pm »

So if we spot it and report it first on "stand by to repel boarders!" AND we get conformation that we were the first to "bag" it. We get to keep the now defunked topic number as a trophy?
That way your not messing around with screen grabs and such?

Well if that's the case. I'll get my pump action fully automatic elephant gun. "Puts so much metal down range you might as well be chucking cars at the blighter's!"

« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 12:04:28 pm by Clym Angus » Logged

Peter Brassbeard
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2015, 04:56:22 pm »

In addition to the extra work for moderators, putting spam in a hunting preserve makes it way too easy if one of us decided to build a hunting clank.  The contest of finding and reporting spam in the wild is far more sporting.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: