The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 22, 2017, 12:10:05 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Steampunk a Conformist Subculture?  (Read 3221 times)
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2015, 03:44:48 am »

I was curious about something, so I checked around...I'm not finding a lot of Steampunk forums (blogs out the wazzoo, but a dearth of actual forums). In fact, I could only find two one could even consider "alive". Note that I was only looking for forums in English, so my observations will be biased in this respect. I would, however, be very interested in comparing the stats from forums of non-English speaking Steampunk groups if any of you have the time and/or inclination to provide same. Also note that I'm not including any "forums" on Facebook, as that is just the antithesis of good organization and discussion (unless you're only interested in discussions from the past couple of days or so).

Again, there are a ton of blogs, and they appear to be very active and popular. But as these are the voices of only one or two people, I don't know if we can consider them "the voice" of the community/philosophy/insert-your-own-descriptive noun in the same way that a forum, which gives voice to a large, extremely diverse number of people, can represent the Zeitgeist of Steampunk in general.

Steampunk.com, which has been active since 2010, has a "forum" page which looks more like a blog, but even then the last post was in 2011. The Steampunk Empire, which does not have readily viewable statistics (well, at least I couldn't find them, but by now you all know my computer skills are laughable at best) so I don't even know when they started, appears to be quite active, but they only have 4,658 topics (perhaps they're not as old as BG?). I found another forum, begun in 2012 as near as I could tell, for which I wrote down stats (27 topics), but I forgot to write down the name (sorry!), which only has 15 members, and the only posts made since 2013 were a number by a known spammer. Compare all these to Brass Googles, active, unless I'm reading things wrong, since 2007, with a whopping total of 36,155 (as of the time I'm typing this) topics.

Now, I don't know about consensus, status quo, if this forum is thriving or dying, whether or not Steampunk is or should be declared dead, or any of the other related topics we go on about every so often in our moments of reflection, but I do know that nothing has ever been settled. For that matter, I don't believe, as a group, we've ever really managed to form any real "consensus" on any topic, other than "Steampunk is in the eye of the beholder," and even that has so far been far from unanimous (and barely a majority consensus, at that).

What I do know is that, right now, we're here. We discuss, we inform, we make, we reflect, we illuminate. And so, we grow. We may not be "happy" with our numbers at present, but did any of us actually come here for good statistics? Or did we come here for a sense of camaraderie, a place to share our thoughts and ideas about whatever Steampunk is to us individually, and to learn and hear from others, so that we may all transcend ourselves, so that our own passions do not become stagnant, and hopefully by our own passion rekindle the passion of others?

No, we do not agree on everything. We never will. As several previous commenters have noted, we are a collective of individuals, united by common interests. Were we mere followers, we would not be here. Does that make us conformists in our non-conformity?

Does it, ultimately, matter? What are labels other than terms devised to separate and catalog us?

What does matter, is we are here.

We endure.

Steampunk endures.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 04:50:19 am by GCCC » Logged
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2015, 04:00:46 am »

Again, there are a ton of blogs, and they appear to be very active and popular. But as these are the voices of only one or two people, I don't know if we can consider them "the voice" of the community/philosophy/insert-your-own-descriptive noun in the same way that a forum, which gives voice to a large, extremely diverse number of people, can represent the Zeitgeist of Steampunk in general.

*snip*

Compare all these to Brass Googles, active, unless I'm reading things wrong, since 2007, with a whopping total of 36,155 (as of the time I'm typing this) topics.

*snip*

Steampunk is Brassgoggles  Grin

Cubinoid
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Cubinoid and Tixia Loxtonian

cubinoid
« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2015, 05:51:58 am »

Conformity...let's consider a few of the major elements that conform society: politics, religion, music, fashion, intellect, wealth....

Certainly I have met right wing and left wing Steampunks: and they all rub along.
I am good friends with religious and anti-religious Steampunks: and all are friends with each other.
There are those that are interested in literature, and those that are more influenced by film.
Steampunks who are former punks, former goths, and those that have been neither.
I have met Steampunks that have incredible knowledge of history, engineering, science...and those that just like dressing up and having fun.
I have met Steampunks that have the wardrobe a Victorian gentleman would be happy with - with bespoke clothing, and those that have made their own goggles from loo rolls and tin foil. And yet...all get along.

Yes, there are elements that tie us together: a dash of Victoriana, perhaps one too many hats in the wardrobe, and maybe we did once all involuntarily conform to (or should I say were conformed by) the television programming that gave us a daily diet of Mr. Benn, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Thomas the Tank Engine, Dr. Who, as well as the late night sci-fi B-movies. Did it affect our collective subconscious, only later to surface, all blended and mellowed within us to create this thing we call Steampunk - a word that was created as a kind of pun to describe something that had no genre?

And perhaps that is what we are. Conformists to a genre that has no boundaries, no leader, no rules set in stone - a movement that is fluid, evolving, yet contained by the limits of our imagination, yet tied somehow to a past that never was.

If that is the case, I am a happy Steampunk conformist. It is the non-conformists that are missing out.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 06:03:57 am by Cubinoid » Logged

We are proud to present the Surrey Steampunk Convivial, for your pleasure:
ewoudo
Gunner
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2015, 08:12:53 am »

I have met Steampunks that have the wardrobe a Victorian gentleman would be happy with - with bespoke clothing, and those that have made their own goggles from loo rolls and tin foil. And yet...all get along.

Isn't this what it is all about?

why do we try to put everything in cubicles? Whole society works this way nowadays, if we cant find a right stamp for it we make up a new one, as long as we can identify it and put u in your cube with people with the same stamp.

I like the idea of everything goes, be yourself and use your own imagination, the Skye is the limit

Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2015, 10:45:39 am »

We're doing this again are we? Cheesy
(where did I put my Soco Inglês?)

Don't worry, I probably won't be around for more than another day or two and you guys will be able to get back to the status quo and be left in peace for another year.

But fighting you is fun, Mr Tower. That's the point after all? Everyone on the dance floor, couple of punches a few loose teeth makes you feel alive. What better way to illustrate that the fight hasn't quite left steampunk yet.

Congratulations by the way. A small ball of solid yell that can't be reasoned with, bargained with or generally paid off...... I had one myself a while back. Still with a firm hand and an implacable mind you will be seen as a god to that child as I am to mine. I am also sorry to hear about your land issues and thankful that you have a "plan B" resourcefulness is a quality you are know for. Nice gun by the way is that WW2?

Enough with the pleasantries. I've just realised this is going to turn into a Daddy fight isn't it? How middle aged is that? Cheesy

Anyway your strong when people make statements, it gives you something to get into, pare back and pull apart. So I'm not going to make any.
So should Steampunk have a universal Idiom? A philosophy that should be pervasive? If so what? If not then why are we arguing?

I have missed this. Smiley
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 11:07:02 am by Clym Angus » Logged

Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

At the helm of the Frumious Bandersnatch

« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2015, 05:01:58 pm »

Missed you, Tower!  Sorry to hear that the Tower itself is in peril.

Nice family, btw.  Well done.

Is that a Springfield 1903A3?  I have one, but it is only a National Ordnance rather than a real maker.  Still a great piece, though.

Z

Captain Sir Charles A. Lyerly, O.B.T.
Soldier of Fortune and Gentleman Adventurer
wire: captain_lyerly, at wire office "Yahoo dot Qom"

"You'd think he'd learn."
"Heh! De best minions neffer do!"
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2015, 01:38:41 am »

Springfield! Yes! That's the fella! It's got the stock and the profile. Yet it is at best an informed guess.
Young master Tower would you care to enlighten us, as to the particulars of your most ernest "boom" stick?
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2015, 11:31:34 am »

Stumbled (Bumbled?) over the following, and it seemed germane to the topic...

"Conformist, you say? Bah!"

(NSFW):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2015, 08:17:47 am »

The fact that we don't care about stats or outside opinions that growth == success just screams noncomformity...

yhs
pm

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2015, 09:07:51 am »

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen.
...Yes, there are elements that tie us together: a dash of Victoriana, perhaps one too many hats in the wardrobe, and maybe we did once all involuntarily conform to (or should I say were conformed by) the television programming that gave us a daily diet of Mr. Benn, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Thomas the Tank Engine, Dr. Who, as well as the late night sci-fi B-movies. Did it affect our collective subconscious, only later to surface, all blended and mellowed within us to create this thing we call Steampunk - a word that was created as a kind of pun to describe something that had no genre?

And perhaps that is what we are. Conformists to a genre that has no boundaries, no leader, no rules set in stone - a movement that is fluid, evolving, yet contained by the limits of our imagination, yet tied somehow to a past that never was.

If that is the case, I am a happy Steampunk conformist. It is the non-conformists that are missing out.

Hear, hear.
I'd throw in The Wild, Wild West television series as well.
And yes, the original Star Trek series.

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
Shadow Of The Tower
Snr. Officer

« Reply #60 on: November 10, 2015, 11:04:24 am »

I actually didn't mean to walk away from this thread when I did but it seems time moves in strange ways these days and sometimes what feels like a few days turns into weeks.

Springfield! Yes! That's the fella! It's got the stock and the profile. Yet it is at best an informed guess.
Young master Tower would you care to enlighten us, as to the particulars of your most ernest "boom" stick?

Actually its an Enfield #4 mark 1*, chambered in .303 British,  Vintage 1944, seemed the most suitable gun for a little Mad Maxian style Cosplay. One of the first guns that I bought with my own money. Sadly although you can still buy ammunition in .303 caliber its rare and expensive so it doesn't get shot as much as it deserves.

Congratulations by the way. A small ball of solid yell that can't be reasoned with, bargained with or generally paid off...... I had one myself a while back. Still with a firm hand and an implacable mind you will be seen as a god to that child as I am to mine.

So far everyone tells me that little Ember is the worlds best baby. I don't have much to compare here to SO FAR at least she is very reasonable and generally easy to please. It actually frightens me a great deal that she will grow up thinking everything I do is right, I don't want anyone to think this of me, but how do you teach dissent will stay maintaining some measure of control when it comes to safety? Luckily I think I have a least a few years to figure it out.

But fighting you is fun, Mr Tower. That's the point after all? Everyone on the dance floor, couple of punches a few loose teeth makes you feel alive. What better way to illustrate that the fight hasn't quite left steampunk yet.

I agree for my own part but many others here do not seem to enjoy fighting  and I've come to (mostly) accept that. Peace, Quiet and Order seem to be the chief personality virtues of this particular community and while I do enjoy stirring the pot from time to time it does get tiring to always be on the opposing side.

Anyway your strong when people make statements, it gives you something to get into, pare back and pull apart. So I'm not going to make any.

Yes, it is the easy way to survive but I find that survival is not enough for me. Heck, sometimes I start fights expecting to lose but I find value even in that, particulary when the format is a battle of words where there can be no real loses and all participation is voluntary.

So should Steampunk have a universal Idiom? A philosophy that should be pervasive? If so what? If not then why are we arguing?

Well, I think it should.  

Even calling it a "movement" I think would be a big step up from the more popular (from what I've seen) "Aesthetic" viewpoint.  Just the idea that steampunk has some actual purpose, even without codifying what that is, I find very appealing.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 11:07:08 am by Shadow Of The Tower » Logged

Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2015, 02:15:36 pm »

I ask this question because I have noticed conformity within youth subcultures that are supposed to be non-conformists; I.E. all hippies have to be left wingers and have long hair; goths have to wear black and smoke cigarettes, etc. Some people seem to think that you become a nonconformist by adopting the trappings of a non-conformist type.

Now the steampunks seem at first glance to be nonconformist, at least against the backdrop of the mainstream culture. But it seems to me that some people within the subculture seem to expect steampunks to conform to conventions of the subculture; you must have goggles, and you must dress in shades of brown and tan to look like a figure from a sepia photograph, and you must pretend that you are part of the crew of an airship.

Am I wrong here?

Teens are the biggest demographic of conformers.  That's where the concept of cliques formed.  They are constantly looking to others in their peer group for approval and acceptance.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2015, 02:19:10 pm »

I ask this question because I have noticed conformity within youth subcultures that are supposed to be non-conformists; I.E. all hippies have to be left wingers and have long hair; goths have to wear black and smoke cigarettes, etc. Some people seem to think that you become a nonconformist by adopting the trappings of a non-conformist type.

Now the steampunks seem at first glance to be nonconformist, at least against the backdrop of the mainstream culture. But it seems to me that some people within the subculture seem to expect steampunks to conform to conventions of the subculture; you must have goggles, and you must dress in shades of brown and tan to look like a figure from a sepia photograph, and you must pretend that you are part of the crew of an airship.

Am I wrong here?

Teens are the biggest demographic of conformers.  That's where the concept of cliques formed.  They are constantly looking to others in their peer group for approval and acceptance.

Grouping helps to explain what the hell you're doing/wearing.

and following this for a while I think there's to conclude we're not a conformist subculture.
but yet, we're all 'steampunk' in a way, are we not?
what binds the steampunks together?

"Crazy pseudo-scot living in a fantasy world"
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #63 on: November 10, 2015, 04:00:42 pm »

Bacon.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #64 on: November 10, 2015, 04:07:08 pm »

Bacon.

bacon unites everyone
Peter Brassbeard
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2015, 06:10:17 pm »

Except for some I'd rather not unite with anyway.  There are some with the silly idea that bacon is unclean.
Crescat Scientia
Zeppelin Captain

Fabricator and temporally confused.

« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2015, 06:29:42 pm »

Except for some I'd rather not unite with anyway.  There are some with the silly idea that bacon is unclean.

There is turkey bacon (meh) and duck bacon (yum!).  I would not hold a dislike of bacon as the arbiter of whom I would associate with at any rate.

Living on steam isn't easy.
-- Jessica Fortunato

Have you heard?  It's in the stars, next July we collide with Mars.
-- Cole Porter

That's not sinister at all.
-- Old family saying
J XD
Swab

« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2015, 07:16:47 pm »

Is Steampunk a Conformist Subculture?
no.   next question.
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2015, 07:29:12 pm »

A METRIC F**K TON of glue  Grin (or at least it will do until my lab assistant's sewing skills improve).

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
Crescat Scientia
Zeppelin Captain

Fabricator and temporally confused.

« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2015, 08:55:23 pm »

A METRIC F**K TON of glue  Grin (or at least it will do until my lab assistant's sewing skills improve).

Hot glue.  Epoxies.  Cyanoacrylate.

Truly we live in an age of wonders.
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #70 on: November 11, 2015, 08:29:12 pm »

Ah! This is why science is there. For those who hate the pig or dislike stripping the pig for it's bacon, science created new-bacon. The baconless bacon so all can partake of it's heavenly wonder.

http://www.fastcoexist.com/3048813/yes-this-super-healthy-seaweed-really-does-taste-like-bacon-we-tried-it
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: