The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 17, 2017, 03:00:17 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Helicopter: This Great Forgotten  (Read 2265 times)
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2015, 06:38:12 am »

Is there any room/interest for a serious aeronautical club at Brassgoggles? I'm still trying to gauge interest on it ... given a few comments I read before on my technical rants explanations. Fantasy would be allowed, but I envision the club would delve deeply into the mechanics of flight, for those interested in deeper discussions.

Let me know if you start one. 

I should probably point out that there most likely be a duality in the thread.  Being and engineer in the field of aeronautics does not automatically qualify me to speak on practical aviation.  Those are two different things, and after having talked with jet fighter pilots at school and knowing two people who fly their own planes, I can tell you that engineers and pilots speak "two different languages."  Rare and valued is the individual who possesses both science and practice of flight.  One of our college mates at UT Austin started as an aircraft mechanic working for the Air Force in San Antonio,  and would drive every day (not kidding) from San Antonio to Austin to take classes at UT. That is a unique perspective to have worked in the practical and theoretical side of things (know all possible sides of aviation). Alas, I'm mostly an scientist, so there is plenty of room for others to teach me a few things.

Captain
Zeppelin Captain

The noblest pleasure is the joy of understanding.

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2015, 04:08:33 am »

Is there any room/interest for a serious aeronautical club at Brassgoggles? I'm still trying to gauge interest on it ... given a few comments I read before on my technical rants explanations. Fantasy would be allowed, but I envision the club would delve deeply into the mechanics of flight, for those interested in deeper discussions.

Let me know if you start one. 

I should probably point out that there most likely be a duality in the thread.  Being and engineer in the field of aeronautics does not automatically qualify me to speak on practical aviation.  Those are two different things, and after having talked with jet fighter pilots at school and knowing two people who fly their own planes, I can tell you that engineers and pilots speak "two different languages."  Rare and valued is the individual who possesses both science and practice of flight.  One of our college mates at UT Austin started as an aircraft mechanic working for the Air Force in San Antonio,  and would drive every day (not kidding) from San Antonio to Austin to take classes at UT. That is a unique perspective to have worked in the practical and theoretical side of things (know all possible sides of aviation). Alas, I'm mostly an scientist, so there is plenty of room for others to teach me a few things.

This my expensive habit now. 

-Karl
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2015, 09:12:53 am »

This my expensive habit now.  

Excellent! Then be prepared to suggest a topic.  I'll try to start the thread this weekend,and I'll suggest one from a brief set of topics I've touched in the past few years and some that I haven't touched on.

Naturally there's the Steampunk oriented subjects like Biological inspired Airships (USAS Orca) and related theory (energy recovery through "smart flapping" like fish and dolphins), Ornithopters (also explainable through "smart flapping" theory, both of which I touched on here at Brassgoggles back in 2009?

And others like the Monocopter, HPH and the ever-amusing Kutta–Joukowski Theory / Flettner Rotor.

Then there's my personal and academic projects, like my VTOL Jet passenger A/C design, and the re-sizing of a boat plane which I've procrastinated on for a long time (although I do believe that my procrastination has somehow protected the life of a batsh*t crazy friend of mine - it's a long story).

Other things include my research on hypersonic projectiles (which I'm sure we can Steampunk somehow - I'll use the excuse that powerful cannons existed by then, as well as primitive research theory on supersonic flow, which did in fact exist by the turn of the 19th. C - as a subject in physics, compressible gas flow theory.  There were in fact miniature supersonic wind tunnels circa 1900 see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernst_Mach ).

Schlieren Photography of a bullet in supersonic flight, by Ernst Mach, 1888
The photo shows a leading bow shock wave, and a trailing shock wave

Discussions of propeller theory - leading to Propfan in the late 20th. C.  Discussions on propulsion efficiency... Brayton Thermodynamic Cycle, turbines in general (actually they date back to the 19th. C), turbofans, etc. Rockets (also anachronistic very old technology - back to China BC)

Those are the subjects that come to mind off the top of my head.

Just as well it may fit in an anachronistic board.  It's all history now, as I find that even my college years were left behind over a decade ago, and I can honestly say that some of my aeronautical anecdotes may be as old as 20 years  Undecided  Where did time go?

Then we can mix in some downright fantasy topics like Sci-Fi propulsion systems. Claudia Engines anyone?

If you haven't noticed I've been rather absent lately. I just have time to post something or other every now and then before my work shift every day.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 09:55:40 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2015, 02:23:22 pm »

Just had an idea for Steampunk supersonic transport - but I'll save that for the new thread.

A little while ago I caught a programme on one of the Discovery channels (although unfortunately its title escapes me). A group of US engineers was set the challenge of building a design from history, and they did have a go at the Da Vinci air-screw, but unfortunately the conclusion was, even powered by compressed air, it couldn't fly; the materials of the time made it just too heavy.

Yours ,
Miranda.

P.S.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hope this goes well; I'd have though jewellery combining Halloween and Steampunk elements would have been very effective (steampumpkins, brass and copper spiders, etc).
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: