The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 17, 2017, 01:29:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Poll
Question:  Are these ventures successful
YES - 1 (10%)
NO - 0 (0%)
Potentially - 6 (60%)
hhmm - 3 (30%)
Total Voters: 10

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Businesses & Ventures of a Steampunk - Old Timey- Nostalgic nature ???  (Read 1775 times)
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2015, 07:18:02 am »

^^ Originally "Uncles"

I thought you might know the history.  That would be  going back a ways .   It is looking a little "battered" now.  I have never  been brave enough to  sample the goods.

What was it like back in the day ?
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2015, 07:27:37 am »

It did have a  rather  dieselpunk look  - on looking back at it.

UNCLE'S Queens Arcade street frontage Queen Street Auckland April 1982 Ref WA-76015-F
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2015, 09:35:11 am »

To my eyes, Uncle's / Bonanza food bars look more like the kind of off-campus eateries that one finds at the university. It has a really "grungy" feeling to it, with an Atomic flavour.

Oddly the best Atomic Age hamburger I can find locally is a 1958 small chain called "Jim's Restaurants"

http://www.jimsrestaurants.com/

In reality more of a greasy diner very similar to "Denny's" it still nonetheless has a genuine Texas hamburger pedigree, having started in San Antonio, as a Tex Mex joint, and I find the charcoal grilled burgers to be the tastiest in any diner.  There are many better hamburger bars in Austin, including 1950s era joints, like Top Notch and EZ's, and upscale DIY hamburger bars like Hopdoddy's.

But Jim's has a decidedly "President Lyndon B. Johnston Space Age" Texan feel to  it, as a waitress named "Flo" in a pink dress serves you a double deck "Frontierburger" wrapped on paper over a heap of shoestring chips/fries, a plate of chicken tacos to your significant other, along with a pair of strawberry malted shakes and slices of pecan pie. It will give you dripping wet hands, a serious case of heartburn, and eventually a heart attack, but the taste is commensurate to the health risk. It's a "fake not so fake" or "honest fakeness" Texas grub grub that only a 1950,s Texas diner could give you.  Grin

I'm sure this is what astronauts in the 1960s ate outside of the hotel in Houston the night before flying to Cape Canaveral in Florida for launch preparation. Being at one point (10-20 years ago), an Aerospace Engineering student studying in a 1950s building, full of fossilized Cold War era books and hardware related to planes and rocketry, with a professor who knew von Braun Personally, you can see why I would appreciate this, and it would be part of the "Right Stuff" experience. Eat a burger, and a taco, light that candle and beat the Russians. Grin

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim%27s_Restaurants
Restaurants is an American chain of restaurants owned by Uptown San Antonio, Texas-based Frontier Enterprises. Jim's, best known for its breakfast and charbroiled Frontier Burgers, was started in 1947 when founder G. Jim Hasslocher built his first burger stand. The burger stand grew and became a drive-in burger concept with carhops, which eventually led to full-service restaurants in several locations. Prior to 1980, the restaurant chain expanded into the Houston, TX metro area until Frontier withdrew and sold off the Houston locations. As of April 2010, Frontier operates 16 locations in the San Antonio area and 3 in Austin.[quote/]

« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 10:30:55 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2016, 04:15:37 am »

To my eyes, Uncle's / Bonanza food bars look more like the kind of off-campus eateries that one finds at the university. It has a really "grungy" feeling to it, with an Atomic flavour.

Oddly the best Atomic Age hamburger I can find locally is a 1958 small chain called "Jim's Restaurants"

http://www.jimsrestaurants.com/

In reality more of a greasy diner very similar to "Denny's" it still nonetheless has a genuine Texas hamburger pedigree, having started in San Antonio, as a Tex Mex joint, and I find the charcoal grilled burgers to be the tastiest in any diner.  There are many better hamburger bars in Austin, including 1950s era joints, like Top Notch and EZ's, and upscale DIY hamburger bars like Hopdoddy's.

But Jim's has a decidedly "President Lyndon B. Johnston Space Age" Texan feel to  it, as a waitress named "Flo" in a pink dress serves you a double deck "Frontierburger" wrapped on paper over a heap of shoestring chips/fries, a plate of chicken tacos to your significant other, along with a pair of strawberry malted shakes and slices of pecan pie. It will give you dripping wet hands, a serious case of heartburn, and eventually a heart attack, but the taste is commensurate to the health risk. It's a "fake not so fake" or "honest fakeness" Texas grub grub that only a 1950,s Texas diner could give you.  Grin

I'm sure this is what astronauts in the 1960s ate outside of the hotel in Houston the night before flying to Cape Canaveral in Florida for launch preparation. Being at one point (10-20 years ago), an Aerospace Engineering student studying in a 1950s building, full of fossilized Cold War era books and hardware related to planes and rocketry, with a professor who knew von Braun Personally, you can see why I would appreciate this, and it would be part of the "Right Stuff" experience. Eat a burger, and a taco, light that candle and beat the Russians. Grin

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim%27s_Restaurants
Restaurants is an American chain of restaurants owned by Uptown San Antonio, Texas-based Frontier Enterprises. Jim's, best known for its breakfast and charbroiled Frontier Burgers, was started in 1947 when founder G. Jim Hasslocher built his first burger stand. The burger stand grew and became a drive-in burger concept with carhops, which eventually led to full-service restaurants in several locations. Prior to 1980, the restaurant chain expanded into the Houston, TX metro area until Frontier withdrew and sold off the Houston locations. As of April 2010, Frontier operates 16 locations in the San Antonio area and 3 in Austin.[quote/]

It would be nice to think that something like that would be the prefered last meal on Earth for astronauts.

Frontier Burger  has a ring to it .
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: