The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 22, 2017, 12:25:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brass derringer.  (Read 1080 times)
lorddarke
Deck Hand
United States United States

« on: September 02, 2015, 09:48:58 am »

Hello. I thought I would show one of my guns here and see what the people who are familiar with this venue think.  It's my first attempt at a "Steam Punk"ray gun. It's Just a small derringer. It's solid machined brass and some iridium/nickle tube parts. The "vacuum tube" is poly-carbonate and the grip is a single piece of hand-carved African shedua. Comes with a custom stand to perch it on.  (If someone could show me how to post a picture of it here, I will do so.) Thank you.   Ed.

Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 12:52:31 pm »

Welcome to BG. 

To post a photo it must first be on a photo sharing site.  Copy the IMG URL for the photo.  How this is done can vary with the different photo sites. The URL must have a GIF or JPG ending.  Paste that link in between the [ IMG] and [ /IMG] tags (without the space).  USE PREVIEW to see if it worked.

Looking forward to seeing your work.

lorddarke
Deck Hand

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 12:13:00 am »

Thank you very much for your advice. I'm going to try and see if I understand your instructions and post a picture. (Digits appropriately crossed.)
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 12:15:10 am »

Beautiful piece.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 01:44:47 am »

Ditto.
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 05:17:52 am »

A nice, elegant looking prop. Not a lot of extraneous non-functional-looking add-ons. The metal part inside the glass reminds me of the little Tesla coil inside a plasma sphere.
lorddarke
Deck Hand

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 07:38:15 am »

Thank you. I will try and post another one of it resting on its mount.
lorddarke
Deck Hand

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 10:07:49 am »

Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 01:16:21 pm »

Holy steamed crap, that is nice!

So...quit the teasing, how'd you make it? Huh? Huh? Come on, show us a LOT of WIP shots!
That's a mighty fine little bundle of awesomeness you got there and I'm interested in how it came about. Smiley

but seriously...it is very nice and seeing more pics would make my day.

Is this your first foray into making items?

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
lorddarke
Deck Hand

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 10:27:30 pm »

Thank you very much for such an enthusiastic comment! Sadly, I lost the pictures that were taken of the work in progress, along with a number of stills. However, I am trying to post the other pictures today if I can remember how I did it the first time.??. I will post pictures of my other work as I complete them. As to the construction, I design my own devices, starting with some part or idea from the many parts bins I have in my shop... In the case of the derringer, I had the innards from a custom vac-tube from a friend whose father worked at a government research lab back in the early fifties, said to be made of iridium-nickle alloy. The tube broke and he often took the parts home to his son rather than throw them out, which they often did back then I guess. I was inspired by so many strange looking "steampunk"weapons I'd seen online, I thought it mite be fun to try it myself. The frame is made from 1/4" brass plate, the type used for engraving. the grip was made from a chunk from a plank of African shedua I have. I have many rare vacuum tubes that I could have used, including some actual radio-active ones.  But I stuck with the iridium-nickle parts and used one of those pre-bottle test tubes for the envelope instead of glass. Add a few pieces of florescent amber and violet hard acrylic "jewels" and that's it.

The next project I'm working on is a little sleeker design, and is functional with a 6.4 watt diode laser, sound effects, and power level (digital.) readout. I'll be posting some pictures of the work in progress soon. Thank you for your time, Ed.     
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2015, 02:59:43 pm »

So you machine some of the pieces yourself, brilliant!
And ....real brass, nice!

You might have to post a few of those tubes ya got for the drool factor. Wink

I await your further exploits and photos there of. Grin
lorddarke
Deck Hand

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2015, 09:26:29 pm »

Hello. Thank you for the comments. I made the derringer from scratch, except for the vacuum tube parts.
If I can figure out how I managed to post the other photos I'll show my latest work, a derringer like pocket gun with a 6.4 watt laser in it.

Thank you for your time.  Ed.
Burgess Shale
Officer

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2015, 06:45:22 pm »

That's stunning! Thank you for sharing. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Dean of the Department of Palaeontology at the American Institute of Natural History and Decorative Arts
lorddarke
Deck Hand

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2015, 10:17:28 pm »

Hello. I thought I would try and post my latest work in progress, a working laser derringer. This is a picture of my latest ray gun. it's machined from 70/76/T6 aluminum, and some brass for contrast. This will be a fully functional device, With sound effects recorded by me (From the laser in "Goldfinger" the James Bond movie.) It has a digital readout that monitors the lithium-ion battery that powers it, and a 6.4 Watt laser diode! I should have it finished and ready for testing by October. I'll post more photos then.

Ed.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 10:21:19 pm by lorddarke » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: