The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 21, 2017, 04:37:19 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lovecraftian magic  (Read 581 times)
Jobasha
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: September 01, 2015, 07:01:04 pm »

Hello I am a newcomer to the forum and I apologise as such for making a request as one of my first posts. I make props for bizarre magicians. For those of you who don't know bizarre magic it is an area of magic which involves tricks themed around stories, folklore, horror and fantasy. The Victorian era is one of the most popular subject areas for routines.

You may enjoy having a browse of some of the main producers of tricks (not my props, I'm not trying to advertise).
http://www.lebanoncircle.co.uk/
http://www.alchemymoon.com/
http://www.outlaw-effects.com/store/

I am working on creating a routine with a steampunk flair. It is going to have an element of the stories of HP Lovecraft. The story I am working on for this routine involves a team of paranormal investigators trying to fight a great evil. I am making up a number of props and documents to go with the story. For this routine I need to make up four cabinet photos. I need two of women and two of men. If any of you have a digital photo of yourself in costume you don't mind sharing it would be much appreciated. Ideally I want several different characters for the routine. They need to just feature you and preferably no modern backgrounds.

I can't offer anything in return past my heartfelt thanks and I will let you know how people respond to the story I perform with your character.

Almost no one dances sober unless insane.
H.P. Lovecraft
Maets
Immortal
United States United States

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 07:13:17 pm »

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with that you can share here on BG.  Welcome to Brass Goggles.

George Salt
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 11:08:36 pm »

eBay has plenty of genuine cabinet photographs, no danger of a modern background.

Just check the stated dimensions, not every seller knows what they're talking about and you'll sometimes see the smaller carte de visite advertised as cabinet photos.
Jobasha
Deck Hand

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 08:41:30 am »

Thanks for the welcome Maets.

In terms of the look I could use genuine cabinet photos (which I have stacks of for other projects), but I'm after that mixture of past and future this effect. I need to make the cards myself as part of the effect will be printed on the back, but thank you for the suggestion.
George Salt
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 05:45:36 pm »

Thanks for the welcome Maets.

In terms of the look I could use genuine cabinet photos (which I have stacks of for other projects), but I'm after that mixture of past and future this effect. I need to make the cards myself as part of the effect will be printed on the back, but thank you for the suggestion.

You can always scan them and use them as source material for your own cards.

Just bear in mind..
- You're a new member and an unknown quantity
- What you're planning on doing is unknown
- People tend to be very protective of their image and their persona
- You're planning on using peoples image/persona to tell one of your stories.  Each of these persona already has a story
- With the best will in the world people will start out wanting to like you but slightly uncertain about trusting you

If you could start out using images from genuine cards, develop the routine, maybe share a video on Youtube of at least part of the routine.  That might make people open up a bit more with images of their persona.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: