The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 22, 2017, 11:43:35 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What to do with a captured Pirate airship  (Read 628 times)
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« on: August 14, 2015, 08:23:49 pm »

I need some help, I have just seized a pirate airship that tried to attack me!
I have handed it back to the Brittish empire and they have taken the crew and stolen cargo but left me the ship and the bounty as reward!
What am I to do with this smaller, lighter, more agile craft?

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 11:17:26 am »

Is it suitable for use as a privateer?
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 04:50:50 pm »

Needs a bit of work as its not been cared for but its still flying and armed!
Narsil
Immortal
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 05:00:11 pm »

Your first priority is to put a skeleton crew on board. In the first instance your priority will be to install some trustworthy deck officers, and a very trustworthy captain. Apart form being trustworthy they will probably have a substantial job to make any repairs and make sure that it's up to the standards that you want and is technically compatible with your flagship, especially in terms of things like communications and the ability to share stores and spare parts. There will also be work to do in drawing up standing orders and procedures.

You will also need to recruit new crew for the vessel and rather than a whole new crew it's probably wise to rotate between the two so that there is a reasonable amount of cross training and integration between the two crews.

A man of eighty has outlived probably three new schools of painting, two of architecture and poetry and a hundred in dress.
Lord Byron
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2015, 06:12:51 pm »

Your first priority is to put a skeleton crew on board. In the first instance your priority will be to install some trustworthy deck officers, and a very trustworthy captain. Apart form being trustworthy they will probably have a substantial job to make any repairs and make sure that it's up to the standards that you want and is technically compatible with your flagship, especially in terms of things like communications and the ability to share stores and spare parts. There will also be work to do in drawing up standing orders and procedures.
That will be a problem as my "flagship" wasn't built in this world and I have to build the replacement parts by hand.
You will also need to recruit new crew for the vessel and rather than a whole new crew it's probably wise to rotate between the two so that there is a reasonable amount of cross training and integration between the two crews.
That shouldn't be too hard as I know some trusty local gangs looking for work and a chance to change their lives.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2015, 07:15:56 pm »

The good thing about a skeleton crew is that you don't have to worry about added weight.    Grin Equip them with shields and swords, like the Harryhausen movies.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2015, 07:33:34 pm »

The good thing about a skeleton crew is that you don't have to worry about added weight.    Grin Equip them with shields and swords, like the Harryhausen movies.

I think they much prefer the Enfield's and colt 1851's to swords and shields but if H2H is needed then they prefer the Marquis of Queensbury rules
Maets
Immortal
United States United States

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 12:23:49 pm »

Merchant/smuggling airship. 

Always a need.

CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 07:35:40 pm »

Always a need.

That what I'm thinking, maybe an inland transport vessel os my "Flagship" has a known large range.
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 01:39:50 am »

Always a need.

rumrunning has always been rather profitable, and the locals who are supplied are usually so grateful for reduced price merchandise that they are oft' willing to help...

a number of fortunes have been made in this manner :-)

yhs
prof ( i've never done that) marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2015, 01:56:07 am »

Having more than a passing interest in airships, I have to ask.  Is this just a fun thread, brainstorming for a story, or inspiring a build?

Rum, cattle, dry goods, whatever are always in need in the outer colonies.
Steampunk Away
Zeppelin Captain

Long Live The Icarus!

https://twitter.com/Steam
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2015, 02:06:30 am »

I like the idea of rum running, but it could also be a rescue ship. As in rescuing your captured colleagues.

Welcome aboard Steampunk Away! We are a small custom order shop, creating jewelry, props, costumes, drawings, and models. Email us at steampunkaway@gmail.com to have us create your special order on commission! Have a mechanical day!
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2015, 05:45:43 pm »

Having more than a passing interest in airships, I have to ask.  Is this just a fun thread, brainstorming for a story, or inspiring a build?

Rum, cattle, dry goods, whatever are always in need in the outer colonies.

It comes from my book that I'm trying to finish for halloween. While on a job my ship get attacked and well my crew feeling bored (former gang members) decided that they would use the pirates as a moral booster. Turns out The there was a bounty on the captain an its crew and well we got the ship and the bounty!

I like the idea of rum running, but it could also be a rescue ship. As in rescuing your captured colleagues.

Is that your way of asking for help?
Steampunk Away
Zeppelin Captain

Long Live The Icarus!

https://twitter.com/Steam
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2015, 11:43:22 pm »

Is that your way of asking for help?

No, my ship is perfectly fine thank you very much. XD

Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2015, 01:29:42 am »

One can usually make a nice profit by finding a need and filling it -

For example, certain countries "need" weapons and have experimental pharmaceuticals
other countries have a plethora of weapons and booze is highly desirable altho "technically illegal"
yet other countries have booze flowing like water ( a most happy country) but are in dire need of cancer-curing drugs

just follow the flow....
and the stories write themselves!

prof ( the spice must flow ) marvel
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: