The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 12:51:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Influence ( Steampunk Or Not) Of Your Inner Steampunk Universe  (Read 1047 times)
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« on: August 12, 2015, 02:26:48 am »

What is the source of inspiration of your steampunk daydream ?

Mine:
Walt Disney
Franquin
Animes
90's Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network
Warners Brothers, especially the Tiny Tunes and Animaniac
Fantasy movie by Jim Hensons and Ralph Bakshi, as well than The Neverending Story
1980's horror comedy movies
1990's sc-fi tv series
The King's Quest Series
My own emotions

And you ?

« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 10:26:26 pm by chicar » Logged

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 02:43:38 am »

Harper Goff's design for the Nautilus, Bill Ferrari's design for the time machine, the writings of Verne, Doyle, and Wells, the many wonderful people with whom I've interacted at conventions and the like who took time out of their busy schedules to talk to me and answer my questions, the many fine artisans and craftspeople and writers who have made themselves and their ideas available online (including those here), and the innumerable excellent conversations I've enjoyed on Brass Goggles.
Patron Zero
Gunner

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 08:50:11 am »

Mine tend to be more related to architecture than other sources, I grew up in a very old brick three story apartment house that was constructed in the 1860s, the neighborhood was of a like historical pedigree also.

That said, even more recently homesteaded, many parts of it's original feel-textures remain enough to be seen beyond modern rehabilitation.

"I carry the dust of a journey that cannot be shaken away....."
Burgess Shale
Officer

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 06:06:03 pm »

I see my Steamsona as a cross between Ernst Haeckel, paleontologist Charles Wolcott and artist Alphons Mucha. I'm often inspired by Art Nouveau and Jugendstil designs. China Mieville's Perdido Street Station and Robert E. Howard's Hyborean world both fascinate me and I've decided to establish myself in Howard's world, but about five or six centuries after the Conan stories would take place. Monsters and magic still exist, but are rare. Using industrialized technology is just easier, for the most part. Oh, and I can't forget the Field Museum of Natural History. The ethnographic and fossil collections really excite my imagination.

Overall, it's a synthesis of late nineteenth century art and design and scientific institutions amalgamated with a pulp fiction low fantasy world multiplied by a generous does of "what if?"

Dean of the Department of Palaeontology at the American Institute of Natural History and Decorative Arts
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 09:01:39 pm »

Overall, it's a synthesis of late nineteenth century art and design and scientific institutions amalgamated with a pulp fiction low fantasy world multiplied by a generous does of "what if?"

With a nice cup of Tea, on the side.?  Grin

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 12:14:36 am »

As a fully-qualified archaeologist (female) I go for the Amelia Peabody non-conformist, semi-adventuress type, with the archaeologists belt and by necessity, as I don't wear dresses or skirts, the trademark Peabody divided skirt or more casual flowing trousered look!
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 07:19:19 am »

Sunday afternoons soaking up silent movies and  substandard sci fi as a small child
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 07:07:29 pm »

Sunday afternoons soaking up silent movies and  substandard sci fi as a small child

Such a good place to start. Indeed, such a childhood is where I "met" Vincent Price, Basil Rathbone, and a host of others via their fantastic and adventure tales, which then sent me to the stacks for their "loosely based on" books.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2015, 07:33:05 pm »

I see my Steamsona as a cross between Ernst Haeckel, paleontologist Charles Wolcott and artist Alphons Mucha...

A quick note of thanks to Burgess Shale and other newer members, and a reminder that you don't realize what you bring to the table until you've shared it. As a result of Mr. Shale's post, I am now acquainted with Haeckel and Mucha.

And, now, WAlcott...

(Spelling matters! It makes the difference between:

Charles WOlcott, 1906-1987, Musical Composer for Disney and MGM, and member of the Bahá’í leadership
http://bahaikipedia.org/Charles_Wolcott

...and...

Charles WAlcott, 1850-1927, invertebrate paleontologist, who has an award named for him, "...presented by the National Academy of Sciences every five years to promote research and study in the fields of Precambrian and Cambrian life and history..."*
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Doolittle_Walcott )

*Source of quote, and the following image: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Doolittle_Walcott_Medal
Mazrim260
Deck Hand

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2015, 10:40:44 pm »

My inner steampunk universe?  First off I publicly define it as Aetherpunk as there is a strong magical influence, but that is another topic all together.

So, the influences:

--  pre-Victorian automatons such as the Jaquet Droz Writing boy
--  early aviation attempts
--  the other artists and crafters I meet at conventions
--  Novels ranging from Wells and Verne, to Tolkien and Lewis, and even the warhammer 40,000 series

So much is snip-its and cut and pasted together that i can't point out a good list.  Things are too complicated.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2015, 11:05:58 pm »

...So much is snip-its and cut and pasted together that i can't point out a good list.  Things are too complicated.

Actually, that probably pertains to a lot of us.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2015, 12:55:25 am »

Mine tend to be more related to architecture than other sources, I grew up in a very old brick three story apartment house that was constructed in the 1860s, the neighborhood was of a like historical pedigree also.

That said, even more recently homesteaded, many parts of it's original feel-textures remain enough to be seen beyond modern rehabilitation.

Apart from the building where you grew up, what other buildings/other architecture inspired you?
pakled
Zeppelin Captain

Minions Local 305, at your thervice!

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2015, 01:02:27 am »

Girl Genius
Dr. Phibes movies (not period, but interesting gadgets)
Wild Wild West
The Difference Engine (yeah, I know)
Verne and Wells, et al

a good start...
Jedediah Solomon
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

If all else fails, get a larger hammer

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2015, 06:14:33 am »

20,000 Leagues Under The Sea
Willie Wonka
Zulu (both movies)
The Nutty Professor (first 1 ...no offense to Robin Williams fans)
Forbidden Planet and of course ....
anything manufactured by Sir Rube Goldberg, esq.

Adventure awaits
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2015, 09:41:08 am »

It is perhaps best described as a wild (and still evolving) blend of childhood passions, interesting tidbits of knowledge accrued over the years, books and films that have stayed with me and ideas and objects found along the way.  If I were to list them all we would be here all day, and I'm sure some people would read it, then scratch their heads thinking 'how does that relate to that?'.  Anyway. 

Silent films from about 1900 to about 1930 (ranging as far as The Keystone Kops and Laurel and Hardy to Metropolis and Nosferatu). 
The Verne and Wells film adaptations of the 1950s/60s (20,000 Leagues, Centre of the Earth, The Time Machine but not War of the Worlds).
'Wild Wild West' and 'League of Extraordinary Gentlemen' (my first experiences of SP, and if I know better now well I'm allowed guilty pleasures...)

The works of Jules Verne, H G Wells, Arthur Conan Doyle, Wilkie Collins, Mary Shelley, Horace Walpole (I could go on all day listing authors)
The Difference Engine, The Peshawar Lancers, The Dancers at the End of Time, Pavane, The Prestige (ditto books)

Dreadnoughts, aircraft carriers that have funnels, masts and guns sticking out the middle of the flight deck, obsolete cruisers slugging it out with each other thousands of miles from home and other such oddities of World War One. 
Early heavier-than-air aircraft and the myriad breeds of airship. 
The Tsar Tank and land ironclads.
Early motor cars (you know, the ones with a starting handle and which are designed to be driven by somebody with three legs and four arms).
Steam locomotives of the period 1850-1920. 
The Aeronef wargames.

The Pre-Raphaelites. 
William Morris and the Arts and Crafts Movement. 
Art Nouveau. 
The Futurist Movement.
Rowland Emmett's whimsical drawings, models and creations.   

Viollet-le-Duc's architectural theories. 
High Victorian Gothic and Arts and Crafts architecture. 

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Burgess Shale
Officer

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2015, 06:51:52 pm »

Sorry about the misspelling. That medal is lovely.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2015, 07:53:03 pm »

No worries; I went back and typed in Wolcott, but added the word "paleontologist" to that and it showed up in my search results.

Hey, it happens.
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2015, 01:11:01 am »

How interesting -- so many different roads to (more or less) the same strange land.

I came by way of Sherlock Holmes, in all its literary and filmed forms, Verne, Wells, Wilkie Collins, etc., etc., 'The Wild, Wild West,' 'The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen,' Amelia Peabody and an immersion in Victoriana stemming from my mother's love of antiques and the restoration of houses to period. 

But mostly it arose out of an uncanny sense of recognition.

Kenneth: 'If you're so hot, you can tell me how to say she has ideas above her station.'
Brian:'Oh yes, I forgot. It's fairly easy, old boy.
Elle a des idees au-dessus de sa gare.'
Kenneth: 'Idiot.  It's not that kind of station.'

Terence Rattigan 'French Without Tears.'
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2015, 02:53:19 am »

Was it the trauma of being subjected to   "The  Railway Children"? Upstairs Downstairs scandals? Onedin line and Poldark foreboding  and vengeance.  The dark mystery and mourning of Jane Eyre  and other pre dickensian  dystopia ??

Monty Python titles or Eric Sykes?  The Goodies !!!! for you and you and you...
VampirateMace
Zeppelin Captain

Mein Hexapod

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2015, 05:33:08 am »

Heh, sorting out what I've looked because of Steampunk, from what lead into it, is probably a bit of a chore here. Definitely a lot of old Horror and Sci-fi, and fascination with science, art, Ancient Egypt, Victorian aesthetics, fossils. . .

Okay:
- Way too many Horror movies, books, pseudo-horror cartoons
- Plenty of Sci-fi movies, books, anime
- The history that isn't on your exam, like what Campbell's has to do with the FDA, and what organs went in what canopic jars
- The history of chairs (or why I never want to take a history class at an art school again)
- Prehistory
- Antiquing (basically trolling estate sales)
- Lots of time with grandparents (who like to watch old sci-fi and westerns) and vaudevillian great grandfather
- Fascination with the paranormal, and naturally knowledge of the spiritualist movement

The Nutty Professor (first 1 ...no offense to Robin Williams fans)
I think you're confusing Flubber (Robin Williams) with The Nutty Professor (Eddie Murphy). But yeah, not the best remake.

Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2015, 01:15:30 am »

For me it is all about the materials.  I see the old stuff and I just want to make something out of it.

RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2015, 05:29:29 am »

For a time during my childhood I was obsessed with turn-of-the century electrical apparatus, and read up on electricity and the early history of radio, so I have a familiarity with actual vintage equipment and tend to imagine functional looking equipment.

Then, on the other hand, I saw some of Rowland Emett's sculptures as a child, and his design work for Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. That florid aesthetic, very different from the practical designs of real Victorian-era inventors, had some influence on my daydreams.

And then there were all the fantasy films that I saw on TV as a child; many influenced by Disney's 20,000 Leagues. I particularly remember a TV movie called Frankenstein: The True Story that was a lush period film that featured an elaborate laboratory set. I think that the influence of horror films on steampunk is underappreciated.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2015, 05:39:30 am »

...I particularly remember a TV movie called Frankenstein: The True Story that was a lush period film that featured an elaborate laboratory set. I think that the influence of horror films on steampunk is underappreciated.

I thought that film was rather well done, myself. And, according to James Mason, solar power is bad.

From the trailer, shots of the lab begin at the 41 second mark:

Frankenstein The True Story - Extended Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx83SjnHxBo
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: