The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 21, 2017, 10:17:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do I modify this jacket?  (Read 1150 times)
josecou
Snr. Officer
United States United States

« on: August 09, 2015, 10:09:27 pm »

Hello all. Recently, I put together a steampunk mad hatter costume for a banquet hosted by my school. I thought it turned out all right, but now that I have more time, I'd like to improve it.

The main thing I thought would improve it would be changing the style of jacket. The cut is a bit too modern for a steampunk costume. I'd like to try and modify it somehow. Unfortunately I'm not too good at sewing, so I'd prefer to keep that at a minimum. Thanks!
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 04:19:59 am »

I

It is a splendid jacket , in an attractive  shape of purple.

whether you wish to jazz it up in a burlesque  / vaudeville way   or  out fit it in military style;  accessorising could be the answer to a Steampunk revamp.  Epaulettes for the shoulders.  Metal buttons on the pockets and or cuffs . Gold braid or ribbon  around the lapel. Officer stripes on the  arms, medals .

josecou
Snr. Officer

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 05:23:08 pm »

Thank you! I was actually lucky enough to get it for a dollar! I'll be on the lookout for accessories and such. Thanks for the tip!
frances
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 11:22:32 pm »

Is that your waistcoat I see peeping out below the jacket?  or torn pocket linings?
river rat
Gunner

Gambler. Grave Robber. All around fun guy.

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 09:40:35 am »

Glue gears on it!!!! .....sorry I couldn't help muself.  Smiley

Spray paint! I'm lucky enough to know someone who does professional costuming for events, TV and such. She needed to make a orange plaid suit coat. Couldn't find any material that would work. So she used spray paint to make the plaid.

Perhaps on your jacket you could tape off and spray the cuffs and collar a darker color. The use brass studs to jazz em up a bit.

I'm not all bad. I rob graves. I don't add to their numbers.
Aubreay Fallowfield
Snr. Officer

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 02:48:08 pm »

have a look at the store on Dr geofs website
http://islandofdoctorgeof.co.uk/iodg/

Some of the embroidered patches are quite fantastic

Tis' bona to vada your dolly old eke.
josecou
Snr. Officer

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 04:21:13 am »

Frances, those are some small leather pouches I hung off my belt. I found them laying around, and I figured they fit fairly well with the costume. I actually have yet to get a snazzy waistcoat for this costume. I only have a black one right now.
josecou
Snr. Officer

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 04:25:31 am »

River Rat, do you know if there is a special spray paint for clothing? I've actually thought about spray painting a jacket, but I wasn't sure if it would mess up the jacket too much.
josecou
Snr. Officer

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2015, 04:29:33 am »

Aubreay Fallowfield, those are nice, but do you know if they ship to the US?
river rat
Gunner

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2015, 11:05:58 pm »

The earliest I can contact her would be next Tuesday. Her daughter just got back form Japan and they hit the ground running. I'll email her and see if I can get any info sooner.

i'm going to guess a good quality oil based spray. And done in very light coats. You wouldn't want it to be thick. A thick coat of paint will crack when the material is bent. 
river rat
Gunner

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2015, 04:22:49 pm »

Got her email! Here's a copy,

"There are a couple of options,  a good quality spray paint with good masking.  Pros -fast   Con- could be stiff. 

The other option is to use acrylic art paint mixed  with textile medium.  The medium adds flexibility and is available at Joanns or Michaels.  Pro - control of color and fabric more flexible.  Con - harder to gind medium than spray paint.  Another good point is since you would use craft paints there are more options for color. "

Knowing Chris when she's talking about craft paints she's talking about the quality brands. Not the stuff you'd find at Walmarts.

Really hope this helps.
Narsil
Immortal

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2015, 05:57:16 pm »

Personally I would focus on other aspects of the outfit if you a a novice at sewing. Although the jacket is a modern cut it's not a million miles away from period evening war and altering the cut would be a huge job. In comparison adding a waistcoat (vest)  or differnt trousers would probbay give you more return on your effort.

Sewing a waistcoat yourself will probably be challenging but achievable and there are lots of affordable options form ebay etc plus they are much easier to alter as being sleeveless you have much less measurements to worry about and many have built in waist adjustment so you oly really have o consider length and chest size.

Trousers are perhaps the most tricky thing about steampunk costumes as they are the part of the suite which has changed the most in terms of fit and cut, especially around the waistline. Having said that SP gives you a lot of leeway in interpretation, and a waistcoat of the right length helps a lot too.

A man of eighty has outlived probably three new schools of painting, two of architecture and poetry and a hundred in dress.
Lord Byron
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: