The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 23, 2017, 04:06:10 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Site update suggestion  (Read 1313 times)
Maets
Immortal
United States United States

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« on: August 04, 2015, 03:00:03 am »

Great to see all of the work being done on the site.  Just one problem.  MOVED threads are taking over.  Is there a way to get rid of them quickly?  Rather annoying that they pretty much are taking over. I don't think they are all that valuable.  Thanks and keep up the good work.

GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 03:09:46 am »

With the new Historical board just up, there will be a lot more move notices as things get moved from Off Topic. I think the notices are justified and necessary, and they won't be seen again after one has logged off and signed back in again.
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 03:36:10 am »

Yeah, there will be a little disruption with the new boards and moving threads, but it will die down soon enough. The 'moved' notifications will be dealt with in time, as they naturally work their way down the page. Others that are simply cluttering up boards will remain for a week or two (so everyone knows where threads have gone), then will be removed to clean things up.

I'll try to keep them under controll in the meantime.  Wink

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 04:23:55 am »

The thing that always struck me as backwards is that the new thread does not appear but the MOVED notice does.  So you click on the move and then click on the new location.  It would be much nicer if just the thread appeared as new in its new location. No idea if that is possible. 

Thanks.  I think the new sections will be helpful when complete.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 05:33:25 am »

The thing that always struck me as backwards is that the new thread does not appear but the MOVED notice does.  So you click on the move and then click on the new location.  It would be much nicer if just the thread appeared as new in its new location. No idea if that is possible.  

Thanks.  I think the new sections will be helpful when complete.

You mean a direct hot link as opposed to an explicitly stated URL link to the new thread?

Removing the MOVED posts is easy - just a click away.  It is just done out of courtesy for those people looking for the thread, especially recent threads.  In fact, many threads now in the Historical were moved away from other segments WITHOUT actually issuing the "MOVED" posts because we were forming the new section out of the public's view.  
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 05:38:35 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 03:24:54 pm »

According to Brass Goggles Statistics Center, Tactile is the most viewed area.  Maybe it should be at the top of the Home page.
proteus
Devourer of Ugly Baked Goods
Administrator
Snr. Officer

Gravatar

brasstech
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 11:11:00 pm »

Putting the most popular board at the top will only serve to make it more popular. If we're going to re-order things, we should put less-popular but high-quality boards there.

--
"Politics and religion are just like software and hardware. They all suck, the documentation is provably incorrect, and all the vendors tell lies." — Andrew Dalgleish

How To Financially Support Brass Goggles — now with a subscription option!
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2015, 02:15:55 am »

If a re-order is in the cards, why not alphabetically?
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 07:27:05 am »

Honestly, I've never seen a major section as being "better" than another one. Eithe based on popularity or any other type of order. That's a little OCD in my opinion.

What I will tell you is that being able to see the thread you want without clicking a secondary link is important.  Back when I advertised on Twitter, I found out through a statistical analysis that if a person had to click a link to view a picture, instead of seeing the picture right away below the tweet, then that person was exactly 10 times less likely to go visit the link behing the picture (my store).  I learned quickly to only use those picture hosting services that were sharing servers with Twitter (those who show pictures below the Tweet - a very few selected services based on agreement between Twitter and that company).

Based on that I tell you that if the title of a section is not immediately seen on the front page manu, that section is "10 times" less likely to be visited.  Hence my observation on why child boards have significantly less traffic.
proteus
Devourer of Ugly Baked Goods
Administrator
Snr. Officer

Gravatar

brasstech
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2015, 11:55:01 pm »

I agree with your points, M. Wilhelm, but not the unstated premise -- that driving more traffic places is necessarily the goal. This site is a community, not an ads platform or product. As such, changes I make for UX need to be predicated on making the community better, not driving more traffic or views.

Also, SMF is a turd, and when I get round tuits to make improvements, they're almost always spent on performance -- a continual thorn in the side for the UX on BG.

I'm reluctant to spend much of my limited time and resources making changes based on rules of thumb or hunches. So while I sincerely appreciate conversations about how BG could be "better", understand that I will act very conservatively. And so if you think something has a big value to the community -- that is, makes the community more accessible and pleasant to use -- I'm open to doing it. But I have to be persuaded of its value, and that its more valuable to spend my time on those changes than e.g. replacing the forum software or making performance and security improvements or improving spam handling.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2015, 01:05:46 am »

I understand. This subject is not my speciality (a thorn on my side that makes me believe my masters in engineering are now useless compared to IT when I apply for jobs because all I know is "science" and a bit of obsolete structured programming), so when you write about the shortcomings of the software we use, I'm afraid I'm not much help.  I was only making a comment.  In fact I really haven't pushed for any changes at all, other than the creation of a new section (historical).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: