The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 17, 2017, 03:20:59 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to Travel Like a Victorian Lady  (Read 1070 times)
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« on: July 30, 2015, 02:56:20 am »

Apparently, "Booze helps." Also, "Don't panic if there's no bacon."*

http://www.stuffmomnevertoldyou.com/blog/list/how-to-travel-like-a-victorian-lady/

Excerpted from the article:

“It is wise never to travel unprovided with a small flask of brandy and water, a tiny case of court-plaster, with scissors, and strong smelling salts or sal-volatile.” - Hints to Lady Travellers at Home and Abroad by Lillias Campbell Davidson, 1889.

“Travel with an open mind and a charitable eye…Do not start with the foregone conclusion that every country which does not invariable provide an eight o’clock breakfast of tea, toast and bacon is not fit for habitation.” - Travelling by Elizabeth A.S. Dawes, 1900.

There are some really wonderful images here, but they're in a slideshow so I couldn't pick one for you to preview.

*Panic, hell. There could be a riot.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 07:28:58 pm by GCCC » Logged
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 07:18:28 am »

Apparently, "Booze helps." Also, "Don't panic if there's no bacon."*

I need to have a nice large sized etched brass plaque reading precisely this in our kitchen

Theophania_Elliott
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Gravatar

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 07:18:13 pm »

Oh, excellent. I've just ordered a copy. From the quotes provided above, it will be very useful for when I go to visit the in-laws next month.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 07:30:49 pm »

I don't know what happened (let's just call it "operator error" and leave it at that, shall we?), but the article's url was missing from my original post. I have corrected that.

But, just to be doubly sure:  http://www.stuffmomnevertoldyou.com/blog/list/how-to-travel-like-a-victorian-lady/
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 07:32:46 pm »

Oh, excellent. I've just ordered a copy. From the quotes provided above, it will be very useful for when I go to visit the in-laws next month.

Which of the books mentioned did you order?

And, while we're at it, once you have it would you mind giving a review?
Colonel Hawthorne
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 05:25:59 am »

“It is a great convenience to take one’s own bath with one in traveling…”

I should say so!

Very nice post, GCCC.

Colonel Sir Julius Hawthorne
H.M. Air Privateers (Retd.)

http://capitalsteampunknz.org

Whatever did we do before retro-futurism?
Theophania_Elliott
Gunner

Gravatar

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 07:20:10 pm »

Which of the books mentioned did you order?
And, while we're at it, once you have it would you mind giving a review?

The one I ordered is this one: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10929635-hints-to-lady-travellers?from_search=true&search_version=service_impr (<i>Hints to Lady Travellers at Home and Abroad</i>

It's due to arrive tomorrow; I'll certainly review it! Does one start a new thread for a new book review, or is there a particular place to put it? I'm still at the new-here-blundering-around-bumping-into-things stage.
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2015, 01:58:51 am »

Goto the 'Home' page and click on 'Textual' .

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2015, 03:55:14 pm »

Then click on "New Topic" and go from there.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2015, 09:52:21 pm »

In other words Yes, you start a new thread in Textual for a book review.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Theophania_Elliott
Gunner

Gravatar

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2015, 10:42:08 pm »

Thank you, gentlemen.

I have the book and I've started reading. So far, I have learned that in case of emergency, I should rely on a man, who will prefer to be left to manage matters without "the hampering interference of feminine physical weakness", and that putting a cushion beneath my feet when travelling by railway will prevent the transmission of the unpleasant jarring that some women find so injurious. And, should I wish to forsake the railways and embark on a tour by tricycle, I should obtain some of Dr. Jaeger's sanitary woollen underwear or some English-made goods on the same system, if travelling in winter. In summer, my underwear should be of light merino.
Colonel Hawthorne
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2015, 02:32:04 am »

Very sound advice, I should say.
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2015, 03:59:23 am »

... So far, I have learned that in case of emergency, I should rely on a man, who will prefer to be left to manage matters without "the hampering interference of feminine physical weakness", ...

I suspect that's just cunning feminine wiles - in the event of danger to throw some poor gullible chap to the wolves whilst she legs it to safety.  Grin

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

At the helm of the Frumious Bandersnatch

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2015, 06:33:19 am »

Pish-tosh, and piffle!  It is of course our DUTY as Gentlemen to stand fast and ensure that the ladies have a chance to escape.  Or to reload, if they've a mind to; attempting to put limitations on the female of the species is a thankless and occasionally dangerous pastime.  Singes the mustache, at the least.

Should there be wolves, we shall Stand Fast.  And come out wearing a dapper wolfskin collar.

Cheesy

Cheers!

Chas.

Captain Sir Charles A. Lyerly, O.B.T.
Soldier of Fortune and Gentleman Adventurer
wire: captain_lyerly, at wire office "Yahoo dot Qom"

"You'd think he'd learn."
"Heh! De best minions neffer do!"
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2015, 03:11:14 pm »

... So far, I have learned that in case of emergency, I should rely on a man, who will prefer to be left to manage matters without "the hampering interference of feminine physical weakness", ...

I suspect that's just cunning feminine wiles - in the event of danger to throw some poor gullible chap to the wolves whilst she legs it to safety.  Grin

Or of course the chap could be acting to contain the emergency thus giving the lady a chance to ascertain what to do about it, as in:

"Well done Henry for distracting that tentacled monstrosity by letting it try to eat you whilst I deduced the exact combination of compounds with which to dispatch it. Now, please wipe off all that green and smelly saliva - it's most unbecoming for a gentleman."

One thing I would add to the travel itinerary is to wear a full crinoline cage, as all manner of travel essentials can be hidden under it; for example, related to the above scenario a small chemistry set along with pistol-crossbow and range of bolts, including the very useful syringe version.

Yours,
Miranda.

Colonel Hawthorne
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2015, 01:50:33 am »

One thing I would add to the travel itinerary is to wear a full crinoline cage, as all manner of travel essentials can be hidden under it; for example, related to the above scenario a small chemistry set along with pistol-crossbow and range of bolts, including the very useful syringe version.

With enough forethought, said crinoline could be armoured, such that its wearer could retract her upper portions into its protection while still allowing (only in extremis, of course, and if they had been properly introduced) her gentleman companion to shelter there as well.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2015, 08:49:09 am »

Amelia Peabody never resorts to crinolines! Three cheers for the divided skirt (with pockets) and archaeologist's belt, full of interesting bits and bobs for the dispatch of Master Criminals and their ilk!
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2015, 03:32:04 pm »

I want to see an illustration of this "armoured crinoline."

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Theophania_Elliott
Gunner

Gravatar

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2015, 07:07:39 pm »

I think you'll find the illustration of an armoured crinoline here: http://www.mortaljourney.com/2011/03/all-trends/crinoline-or-hoop-skirt

About halfway down the page. If you click on the rather small image, you'll see it's a montage of contemporary instructional illustrations on how a crinoline might be used (or abused, in the case of the chap who's just stubbed his toe on one). One of the illustrations demonstrates how the crinoline might be used to protect oneself from marauding lions. I assume it is the armoured model, as I shouldn't think the usual one with only straps connecting the hoops would bother a lion much.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2015, 09:42:28 pm »

I think you'll find the illustration of an armoured crinoline here: http://www.mortaljourney.com/2011/03/all-trends/crinoline-or-hoop-skirt

About halfway down the page. If you click on the rather small image, you'll see it's a montage of contemporary instructional illustrations on how a crinoline might be used (or abused, in the case of the chap who's just stubbed his toe on one). One of the illustrations demonstrates how the crinoline might be used to protect oneself from marauding lions. I assume it is the armoured model, as I shouldn't think the usual one with only straps connecting the hoops would bother a lion much.

Many thanks for the link- very intersting. Yes, that would definitely be a 'special issue' crinoline cage, related to the standard variety in the same way John Steed's bowler would be related to the common-or-garden version of that headwear.

The lesson to take from this is, if one suspects danger do not leave home without your armoured crinoline, projectile-proof corset and combat bonnet! And don't get me started about how that apparently innocent looking parasol...

Yours,
Miranda.
Colonel Hawthorne
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2015, 05:26:46 am »

That is indeed the sort of thing I had in mind.  Although one must question what the chap - I hesitate to call him a 'gentleman', without further information - has done with the owner of the crinoline and the rest of her clothes.  Possible caddishness in action there, I suspect.

Ah yes, Miss Miranda - weaponised parasols are fine things indeed!
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2015, 10:20:29 pm »

yes, interesting!

-though I must admit I was expecting armor plates and a cannon...
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2015, 11:17:49 pm »

I have at least a real example, of a crinoline cage used as protection in the 1920s.  In particular, said type of cage protected one of my great grandmothers when she was trying to punish my grandfather a small child.  You see, the family's great Dane "Suki" tried to bite her derrière.

As to why this happened, it'll suffice to say that my grandfather was the ringleader of a group of cousins and friends who tried to re-enact the funeral processions they saw in the street.

Back in the 1920s, in Mexico City, there were still some horse drawn hearses and a few delivery carriages or coaches sharing the streets among the Ford Model T cars  driven by the affluent in the neighborhood.

The group of children tried to re enact the procession to the cemetery, and someone had to play the dead man. They had a coffin made from wooden boxes, and unfortunately they also decided to re enact the burial.  Fortunately, during the party, the parents noticed that a child was missing and managed to unearth the child in time, by then a deep shade of blue, but alive.

My great grandmother was a high society lady who not only was a conservatory trained pianist - noting she hated having her Chopin sessions interrupted in the evening, but she was also an expert horse rider.  In those days that meant my grandfather would get punished with the horse whip.  Suki, the dog, could not accept that one mote time, which lead to the live testing of the crinoline cage structural integrity.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 11:27:52 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: