The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 17, 2017, 03:11:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Barker Street Irregulars case 2 A vision in pink  (Read 9042 times)
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #250 on: October 12, 2015, 03:33:44 am »

"Right you are, Milady," Marley answered, and set about the task with a will, breathing life onto and into each as he finished them, borrowing hues from the surrounding colored layers. They'll need a bit more life, nore than I can give them, to be any real threat to Greenpeepers when he gets in," Marley said. "My old headmaster'd go apoplectic if he saw me drawing on a painting. Old scarecrow Used to go spare if I so much as drew a kitten in my copybook."

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #251 on: October 12, 2015, 09:53:50 am »

"If we each just give a little bit of life it should be enough especially if I make another set to look like was are sneaking off in another direction." She rubbed her hands together like working with clay and a little ball of light formed in her palm. Celia pressed it in to the chest of the other her and suddenly the figure shuddered and took on a warm human look.  "Not bad at all."  She said admiringly.  Tobias was next and as he saw his mother making the more static figures to fool old green eyes He whispered and idea to her.  Celia burst out laughing.  "Well you do have a sense of humour after all."  Together they drew another passage and made images of themselves just a little down the way.   "I would love to see his face when he tries to chase us in to the wall."  Light started to pour under the crack in the door as the last bit of crystal knob firmed up.  "Every one ready for a journey in to the unknown?"

Joseph watched as the door grew almost like a living thing. He had given up on the idea that he would ever leave this sunny Greek villa. Time passed oddly in this perfect eternal sunny day and he wondered how long he had realy been gone.  Who knew what the people coming were like but at least it would be interesting.  Perhaps if he did get out He could find the lovely lady that was suposed to share this world with him.  For once there was hope.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 02:15:05 am by Stella Gaslight » Logged

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #252 on: October 13, 2015, 04:15:02 am »

Marley drew a silverpointg stylus from his pocket; made from a silver alloy that would write either silvery on dark surfaces or black on light ones, he used it to mark where teeth should be cut on a new gear, or often on painted walls to mark where teh armnature of an escapement and time train would be installed. "completely forgot about my silverpoint," he said. "Let's go ahead and see what we'll see..."

"get ready da transform, Looby, " Bill quipped. "If we go off a cliff you'll  need it..."
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #253 on: October 13, 2015, 09:45:43 am »

Celia cautiously pulled the door open and the room was full of bright warm sunlight.  A warm breeze rolled in to the room smelling of salt.  "It is lovely."  Celia said very much surprised.  She had been expecting the painter to be held in a much harsher place,  "Verity you go last.  That should keep the opening more stable and as soon as you are safely on the other side rip the picture up,  That should stop Greenie  from following us."  Celia stepped through in to the sunshine and was greeted by a worn looking young man. "Well hello I think you are the one we have been looking for."
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #254 on: October 13, 2015, 12:44:55 pm »

Thomas was startled when two ravens flew in followed by a whole group of people. They were led by a graceful woman who acted as if she was there for afternoon tea in spite of the fact that her dress was disheveled and she had a gaping hole in her stocking.  "Well hello I think you are the one we have been looking for."

Each of them carried a pencil even the birds. The last one in was a young lady who slammed the door and leaned against it ripping up a piece of paper as if life or death depended on her actions.

But when another woman handed him a sandwich and a cordial he was too delighted to worry.  Food, real food by Jupiter! He could even smell pickled cucumber.
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #255 on: October 13, 2015, 05:32:38 pm »

Tobias looked around in supprise, he knew how to travel from one world to another via Vail gates, but this was new.
"Mama, did we use some sort of Dimensional crossing to get here?" He looked around feeling the warm sun on his face and feeling a tad bit warm in his uniform.
"Is this a real world?"

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com
Steampunk Away
Zeppelin Captain

Long Live The Icarus!

https://twitter.com/Steam
« Reply #256 on: October 14, 2015, 01:45:39 am »

Abraham awoke on the ground of a strange land, instinctively rolling onto his stomach.

"This is the land of the Fae and powerful magic, tread lightly. Whatever we do here may send reverberations to other nasties we do not want to see."

Welcome aboard Steampunk Away! We are a small custom order shop, creating jewelry, props, costumes, drawings, and models. Email us at steampunkaway@gmail.com to have us create your special order on commission! Have a mechanical day!
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #257 on: October 14, 2015, 04:46:09 am »

"This is a world made from passion.  The fae of both courts have been know to reward the talented with certain boons and the ability to paint what you love to life is a very strong summer fae gift."  Celia smiled at Thomas who looked very relived and nervous at the same time,  "Let me guess. You were down to your last bit of money and were close to giving up when you saw someone worse off and helped them instead of yourself?"

He thought about the poor old lady hungry and caught in the rain and how he had helped get her dry and fed her the last of his food. "Yes she was gone in the morning when I woke up but I guess that was when my paintings started coming to life."  He stepped back from Celia unsure about her.  "What are you?" He asked suspiciously.

She suposed if her first exposure to magic had been greeny she would think poorly of the profession as well.  "Celia Cromerty, Ballast of London. It is my job to keep the city on an even keel.  When magic goes a bit sideways I step in to set it right again."

"So you are not a part of the order?' Thomas asked.

"Oh heavens no.  If you are speaking of the knights I am pretty sure you are, they are a thorn in my side,"  Celia said adamantly. "I think we can free you bit it is going to be a bit tricky,  Fae gift magic can be a bit unpredictable and I don't know what Green eyes has done to bind you here.  You should have been able to draw yourself a door back in to the real world at any time."

Luis screamed in anger.  They had vanished in to thin air!  His clothes were covered in dust from their little false hall trick.  They would pay for that.  Raging he remembered the hair.  He opened the jewel of the ring and was surprised to see it softly glowing silver.  She had to actively be using magic and that gave him an in.  He summoned some of the thick black ink and placed the hair in a pool of it hoping to see her location reflected.  What he got back was a picture of an ankle. Frustrated he almost tossed the ink away but then realised what was happening,  She was infected along with another of her party.  Not enough to affect her yet but the other one had almost succumbed.  If he could force it a little more he could blot out the man entirely and then take control of his body.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #258 on: October 14, 2015, 08:12:53 am »

Bizarrely (for a bird, at any rate), Marley began to chime furiously, as if a tiny bell alarm clock were buried inside of his chest. He concentrated, and said a few words, and suddenly morphed from a largish raven to man form in his usual vest-and-trousers, but overlaid all with a heavy black Knights temporal military topcoat, high collar and silver braid and all. it contrasted a bit with the nickeled casquetelle helmet on his head, but he paid it little if any mind at all as he reached into the coat and retrieved the Burleigh, whose superimposed rule dials were spinning of their own accord, as a hazy, dusty golden halo of light played all around it and the chiming gear train rang loudly.

"Milady Celia!" He barked, perhaps more sharply than he actually intended. "We've got trouble; something or somebody very powerful is either approaching or attacking form afar, and taking no apparent steps to mask their intentions. Judging by previous readings and similarities thereto, I think perhaps it's our All-Too-Dark adversary." He pulled out his silverpoint again, said a few words, and tapped it against his helmet; it grew into a longbladed dagger. "Anybody has magic or a strong weapon, or both, best get it ready..."
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #259 on: October 14, 2015, 07:46:49 pm »

Tobias Drew his sword and started looking around, his image blurred a second time but instead of the golden armoured human form of earlier his form took on a slender elven form in matching mithril silver armour. The only thing that was the same was the wolf and dragon emblem that formed on the armours breast making it look a bit to feminine. A crystalline revolver materialised on his hip and he studied it as it glowed.
Steampunk Away
Zeppelin Captain

Long Live The Icarus!

« Reply #260 on: October 15, 2015, 01:46:30 am »

Abraham drew his Dragoon Revolver, but this time, he felt the urge to point it at his party of friends.

"What on Earth is happening," he thought to himself.

He began slowly cocking the trigger before a deafening roar came from in front of the party, knocking all of them back several feet.

Grabbing his revolver from the dirt, and slowly getting to his feet, he approached a black clad figure in the cloud of dust in front of them...

but on no will of his own.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #261 on: October 15, 2015, 02:50:17 am »

There was something warm and wet flowing near her ankle.  Celia looked down expecting to see blood from the bite and almost screamed. There were slithery balls of ink oozing in to her skin through the bites. She called up fire quick as thought and slammed a burning palm on to her wound. There was a heavy smell of iron and a blast of pain that was far worse than she was expecting. White faced she looked for the source and saw Abraham moving like a man in a dream sweating black ink.  "No.  He has Abraham and we have to stop him before he can finish whatever green eyes is making him do,"  Celia tried to turn and run only to find herself rooted to the spot. Where the ink had fallen the ground was warped and wrapped around her foot.
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #262 on: October 15, 2015, 05:51:39 am »

Tobias could see that there was something wrong with Abraham, he turned his revolver towards him and fired. A ball of lightning hit Abraham in the back and he collapsed face down in the dirt. Turning the revolver back on the attacker, he opened fire, releasing glowing ball after glowing ball until the revolvers charge was depleted. He placed the revolver back into his holster and watched as five glowing balls of lightning struck.
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #263 on: October 15, 2015, 08:57:38 pm »

Verity took a small jar of blue paint out of her bag loosened the screw top and flung the whole jar directly at the dark figure. He had been too busy magically diverting Tobias's power strikes to notice the mundane weapon until it hit.  Now they could see it was the green eyed man trying to get the paint off.  Areas of sky were beginning to show through him, his robe fading into wisps of cloud at the edges.
Steampunk Away
Zeppelin Captain

Long Live The Icarus!

« Reply #264 on: October 16, 2015, 03:02:46 am »

Black tendrils of ink erupted from Abraham, lifting him from the ground and moving him to Luis' side.

And then he started raising his revolver, aiming directly at Verity.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #265 on: October 16, 2015, 03:49:37 am »

Maerley and Bill, of course, were ravens; Bill as usual, and Marley, well, a raven again. He had seen the viscous stuff welling up arpound him and had managed to ytransform and lift off, and flamed away what little stuck to him in midair while Bill told him how to do so and not just carbonize himself as he fanned his own flames, as it were; it involved simply letting feather and down flare and die, and replacing them as they fell out and burnt away. "Learnt it firom a phoenix I knew once," he said. Marley wasn't sure if he was joking or actually meant it.

The feathers falling away, and the way the ink gouted into flame and burned away where they fell gave him an idea, though. He'd already learned two things as a raven at the Tower:
1. that he actually had just as much power in raven form as in the human.
2. the somewhat unfortunate (for teh sake of decorum) fact that once a raven eats something, it goes thriough the bird's gut in the usual way of all birds, meaning that at some point it was necessary to eject, shall we say, the end product out of the other end of the bird. The various statuary and in fact almost every perchable place in teh Tower bore discolored testamemnt to this fact. Ravens tend to eat a LOT of food, so when Luis moved toward Verity, and once Bill caught on, a pair of somewhat diminutive divebombers commeced an airwar against his person; soon, both Luis and teh ground around him erupted in flame...
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #266 on: October 16, 2015, 09:28:40 am »

Verity rolled into a ball, her bag held against her body.  Beety ran in with the rag to scrub at Abraham's bindings before he could take aim again. Verity had been doing something hidden inside the bag. delicate flowers scattered from her hand and stuck in the black stuff holding Abraham turning it from monstrous black tentacles into flowering brambles. Thomas added his power and green leaves began to appear. Beety turned the smears she'd made into soft long grass.  Gratefully Abraham stopped shooting.  The counter spell had saved him from killing his friends.

Luis snarled. He should have had complete control.  But these people were acting like the man he'd taken was theirs and not his. That wretched girl should be running not freeing the man who shot at her.  Why hadn't they scattered or shown proper terror?  Worse, these people worked together. He'd thought  that trapping their leader would cause panic but she was calmly disentangling the spell that held her whilst the rest used his own symbolic magic against him.  Those birds!  The indignity of it!  
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #267 on: October 16, 2015, 10:02:49 am »

Having chipped herself free Celia tried to call on the rivers to keep the flames from spreading too far.  The rivers were sluggish to answer like she was far away but that couldn't be right.  She was still in the city, she was unsure of where but Celia could feel the borders of her domain in her blood.  This was like trying to raze her power in non incorporated ground,  "Oh I see this is truly his." Celia muttered and broke in to a grin. Thomas was watching the change with awe and laughed as he saw Luis struggle under the birds assault.  "Give him hell young man. Show him he isn't welcomed in your world.  He has no power here."  She said watching as Luis finally managed to put himself out.  The black had become gray and ragged.  It gave Celia an idea.  Smiling she turned to Verity and Thomas. "I think he looks like one of the tower gargoyles with that bird mess. Maybe we should help him look the part.  He wont be able to bother us if he is locked in stone."
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #268 on: October 16, 2015, 11:44:39 am »

"That'd be rude the tower gargoyles" said Bill, "Jus make 'im a into a decoration."

The green eyed man was was swiftly drawn into a statue with blindfolded eyes and twisted drapery trapping his limbs. Beety drew in chains around his feet as an extra precaution whilst the ravens gleefully perched on top of his head.

"Now" said Celia "a few questions."
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #269 on: October 16, 2015, 09:17:34 pm »

"I want to know who put you up to this. I have felt your magic and you are untrained.  It would be hard for someone scavenging on the edges to know London's secret.  So how did you come to know me?"  Celia listened and heard an angry snort at the idea he was lesser.  "I think this statue needs a bit more." Celia said drawing a name plate in front of Luis. "I think this is a auspicious name." She stepped aside showing the title of truth speaker in spite of himself.  "Sign you names to your masterpiece and I think he should be a bit more talkative."  The name plate became more real the their names.  "Now lets try this again.  Are you working with the white knights?"

"Ya...ya...yes" The words were forced from his mouth much to his horror.

"It works." Celia said happily.  "So we have him for the moment fire away."  Celia knew she had a few questions but they were a team and she respected them to help her look at this from all angles.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #270 on: October 16, 2015, 10:05:27 pm »

Oi, What're they wantin' wi' paper kings and fae?" Bill interjected. "Seems an awful lot o' trouble to go to majkin' 'em if it's just for sound and fury. Who're they tryin' ta overpower? Celia's an impartant lynchpin, but why pull that pin (no offense ta ye, Milady Ballast)?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 04:00:51 am by MWBailey » Logged
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #271 on: October 16, 2015, 11:18:39 pm »

It took a full minute for the words to force themselves through his locked teeth.  "Harm."

Celia blinked that was not what she had expected. "How would paper people harm them?"

"The soul is in the image." If looks could kill he would be crushing the life from her body.

"Oh that is very old magic. Wait is that how you stole my breath?"

"Yes." Luis said sullenly.

Celia looked back at the others. "Sounds like the knights are trying to move up in the world."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #272 on: October 17, 2015, 04:17:08 am »

"That could bode Ill for the Gyre," Marley said, using the common collective word for the river eddies that teh city's regulatory clocks kept under control; the idea was that all of the eddies together made up parts of a whole, parts which formed a gigantic "Gyre" or meta-vortex that ruled causality in the precincts of London and its environs.

"Still, that's probably only a facet of the larger picture," Marley added; his own voice rang in the raven's ears, albeit rather tinny and raspy due to the size and type of throat that projected it. "Harm, you say. What is it specifically that you wish to 'harm?' You can't destroy the Gyre, you know; that was here before there were humans. The river was power itself long before the Ballasts and the TransTemporals came along to help it." A really disturbing thought occurred to Marley then. "What are your masters' plans for the River?" He asked, with venom on his tongue. He began to marshal hellflame, just in case a new level of threat became necessary.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 04:29:00 am by MWBailey » Logged
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #273 on: October 17, 2015, 05:44:01 am »

"F..Freeze it over. Remake the world."  His face twisted to a mask of disgust and contempt.

"You can't."  Celia said dumbfounded.  "No one can do that and live."

"Merlin."  Luis said quietly.

"He is not real. Merlin is just an amalgamation of the Ballast of the time and the four courtly wizards.  Oh oh no."  Celia looked at Marley worried.  "Could they realy do that?"
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #274 on: October 17, 2015, 07:04:14 am »

"There was a time when the river commonly froze over for the winter," Marley answered. "Human records record a time when it did so in about a twelve-year cycle, and interviews with older beings, so I have read, indicate that it was commonly frozen over three months of the year back before Men came here and giant hairy beasts roamed the land. So, yes, if they could reverse-loop an Ice Period from then to the present, it's just possible. It'd be one hell of a feat, though, they'd have to subvert or silence Westminster and St. Paul's both to bring it off, I'd think."

Marley had a really horrifying thought. "It did happen to commonly freeze completely solid, back just when the Hunters first came across from the mainland; that was the time when there was dry land with teeming hunting grounds between what we call Jutland and the Dogger Bank. Don't stare so, I had a case where I had to go back  to that time, and i saw it for myself. People died when it happened; famine was the rule. There were no clocks, not even any river-taming spells; even the Seelie faeries 'went into their tuaths when the cold winds blew, and didn't come out 'til the river flowed again, the floods were gone, and the sun was hot at midmorning. The Unseelie ruled the land in the interim then, and any humans they found suffered at their hands,' " he quoted. "or so it was said, and written down. I've only been back that far once, and would not go again if I had my own will in the matter. If that's what they're planning..."
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 07:14:46 am by MWBailey » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: