The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 24, 2017, 02:58:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Welcome message - A thought inspired by thread "BG of Old" thread  (Read 1636 times)
Prof Thadeus Q. Wychlock
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

What Watt ?!

« on: July 25, 2015, 08:07:24 pm »

Evening all.
After responding to the "calling all BG of old members" thread I started thinking about what it would be like to be a newcomer.
It then occurred to me that when you first land on the BG site there is nothing obvious to tell you where to go first??  - like a "welcome", "start here" or "introduce yourself" (and yes I know we have that inside the meta category but I'm just talking visibility here)
Whilst that may seem a little silly, it seems that a category title (or something - single thread maybe ??) that is visible at the very top level to draw newcomers into saying hello might just be a good thing.
For much of this evening we have had in excess of 80 guests but only 3 actual members.
Having somewhere immediate and obvious for them to start might be the encouragement some might require to stay Smiley

Again ..... all just my opinion Smiley

"In a world whose only quarrel with instant gratification is that it takes too long, we are practitioners of a dying art: patience."
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 10:29:10 pm »

For much of this evening we have had in excess of 80 guests but only 3 actual members.

Good idea.
But with reference to this particular section of your post....

98% of 'guests' are spammers.
We try to kill them but they seem immortal.  Wink

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Major Vincent Smith
Eccentric Gentleman
Board Moderator
Snr. Officer

Vampyre Lord of the Twilight Overlord of Hellfire

jacknife98
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 01:02:31 am »

So a thread pinned to the board index itself? It would be nice to show it only to those who haven't yet logged in, or have made an account but not posted. Unsure if this is possible in SMF though. Maybe through an addon.

Spammers Flattened: 52
"Not on my watch!"
Prof Thadeus Q. Wychlock
Zeppelin Admiral

What Watt ?!

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 08:14:56 am »

Good idea.
But with reference to this particular section of your post....

98% of 'guests' are spammers.
We try to kill them but they seem immortal.  Wink

Yeah .... as soon as I posted this I realised that most of those 80 would be bots or spammers but I guess the rest of the idea holds true Smiley
Maets
Immortal
United States United States

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 01:37:31 pm »

Good idea.  Include links on how to post images. 

All exists already.  Just needs to be more obvious to the newbies.

Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain

https://rangerreid.wordpress.com/

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 02:32:38 pm »

So a thread pinned to the board index itself? It would be nice to show it only to those who haven't yet logged in, or have made an account but not posted. Unsure if this is possible in SMF though. Maybe through an addon.

On the busiest sites I go to, there are intro threads, and no they are not hidden from current members (if I understood that part correctly)

See, part of the intro process is the handful of "welcome to the site" and "glad to have you" replies to your into post.   Seems like having a place where the newb would say hello, but could only be seen by other newbs and unsigneds would be self defeating?

Pin it like any other thread.... 

SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 03:42:50 pm »

Many years ago I was a Mod on an SMF forum, which, If I remember correctly, allowed new members to see but not contribute to the main forum until they had at least 1 post in the welcome part which included a general description, forum rules, how to post puctures and videos and an  introduce yourself thread, helped cut out spammers and unwanted content.

Not sure if possible here but it sure helped way back then.

The only kinda example of the type of  layout thing I can think of at the mo' is a fishy forum I visit.
(Not the content)
http://www.oscarfishlover.com/forum/index

Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2015, 10:39:00 pm »

That is a great idea.  No posting until you post in the welcome area and then are cleared to post further.  At least all of the spammers would be in one place.
Major Vincent Smith
Eccentric Gentleman
Board Moderator
Snr. Officer

jacknife98
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2015, 11:50:27 pm »

On the busiest sites I go to, there are intro threads, and no they are not hidden from current members (if I understood that part correctly)

See, part of the intro process is the handful of "welcome to the site" and "glad to have you" replies to your into post.   Seems like having a place where the newb would say hello, but could only be seen by other newbs and unsigneds would be self defeating?

Pin it like any other thread.... 

I didn't mean the introduction thread (which already exists by the way) I meant the 'welcome post', which could then direct them to the intro thread.
Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain

https://rangerreid.wordpress.com/

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2015, 11:51:43 pm »

Sorry,

I was fairly sure I had to have misunderstood.    Thanks!
Major Vincent Smith
Eccentric Gentleman
Board Moderator
Snr. Officer

jacknife98
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2015, 11:52:53 pm »

No problem Smiley I should perhaps have been clearer
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2015, 05:09:12 pm »

Many years ago I was a Mod on an SMF forum, which, If I remember correctly, allowed new members to see but not contribute to the main forum until they had at least 1 post in the welcome part which included a general description, forum rules, how to post puctures and videos and an  introduce yourself thread, helped cut out spammers and unwanted content.

Not sure if possible here but it sure helped way back then.

The only kinda example of the type of  layout thing I can think of at the mo' is a fishy forum I visit.
(Not the content)
http://www.oscarfishlover.com/forum/index

I can see merit in this, but if it had been in effect here I honestly don't think I would have bothered. I suspect I am not alone in this.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Wormster
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2015, 05:42:14 pm »

Moons ago, when I joined my first forum, it was compulsory that you posted an intro, before you got to "see it all" - nowt wrong with it then and nowt wrong with it now - it helps in weeding out teh spamm0rz, tr0l0lz and general time wasters!

We are the BEC,
And this we must confess,
Whatever is worth doing,
We'll do it to excess!
Prof Thadeus Q. Wychlock
Zeppelin Admiral

What Watt ?!

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2015, 11:42:27 pm »

Glad to see the idea has started to generate some debate on this.
Whilst I totally understand the points of view about limiting the spammers etc the idea was to encourage and welcome new members and give them a place to start that was instantly visible.
Smiley
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2015, 03:49:05 am »

Multiple reasons to try it, if possible without too much effort.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2015, 08:30:23 am »

let'em see everything. how else would you expect to capture their interest? Imagine a date only occurring after the marriage papers are signed.

Just don't let'em post in anything other than an intro post, and then five posts in a subforum later they get full privilages.

Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2015, 09:11:16 am »

from another forum which I roam oftenly (well actually I just play forum games on there)

"Crazy pseudo-scot living in a fantasy world"
Jimbob
Deck Hand

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2015, 09:33:06 am »

Hi there

I am pretty new here and one of the 2% that is NOT a spammer!
On another forum I am a member of we have a "shoutbox" which is where we all chat on on-line and instantly. It is for members only who have paid a small fee. Is there such a thing on here?

I am still finding my way around but that is part of the fun.
Think my first post was in the wrong section Sad

James
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: