The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 12, 2017, 11:41:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Oceanology Of The Sky  (Read 1238 times)
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« on: July 25, 2015, 12:38:51 pm »

Time this lonely Air Krakens get some company. In this thread we shall imagine the fauna of the sky ocean.

Air Kraken ( Off Course !): (One of) the titan of the sky. His ancestors develloped the behaviors than some squid species have to leap flying-fish style from the sea into true flight by morphing their ink injector into a biological jet engine

Air Whales: Stay affloat thank to two ''gasbag'' organ in his side he nourrished by periodically drinking sea water his digestive system convert into hydrogen.

Air Krill: A miniature cousin of the air kraken who serve of main prey to the tallest air critter. (This one is inspired by the child movie The Aeronaut )

Air Plancton: Wind carried micro-organisms who make the delight of small air critter.

Flish: Flying fish who mastered true flight. (Inspired by the mockumentary book The Future Is Wild)

Aetherfish: Moonfish-like critter who periodically migrate between the Moon and Earth.

Doyles Jellyfish: Gigantic flying jellyfish staying afloat thank to their capacity to generate aetheric field.

Aether Ray: Manta ray sliding into the sky in a aether field.

Air Shark: Electric-field carryed best friend of traditionalist air pirate who don't feel like letting prisoner plumetting into the ground.

Harpy: Ferocious, monstrous and primitive species of parthenogenetic winged humanoids.

Siren: More attractive and intelligent cousins of the harpys who possess the same capacity to generate hypnotic wave than mermaids, making them infamous as the airmens equivalent,

Dragon: If the sea have sea serpents, the sky have dragons, the fire breathing part being a huge extra-bummer.

Roarg and Thunderbird: Two related species of giant eagle.

Garudian: A species of avian humanoid.

Stymphalian Bird: Ancient flying automaton still roaming the sky.

Mountain Carcinos: This mountain dwelling crustaceans nourrish mostly of mountain alga.

Mountain Alga: Plant growing mostly in the more air deprived region of mountain.

Mountain Corral: Bacterial colony who grow atop mountain.

Any other suggestion (or alternative ''aero-oceanologic'' classification) ?

« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 01:37:29 pm by chicar » Logged

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
Maets
Immortal
United States United States

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 12:55:14 pm »

Fun. Looking forward to seeing more.

J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 04:59:09 pm »

You need to refer to the old Bestiarium Vocabulum thread.  There are several species of air-cats who fly in prides and sometimes attack airships, Hawk Leopards and Bald Lions. They can be very dangerous.

von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 05:26:47 am »

Air krill? Clearly not related to the air kraken!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

See my thread What the %&$# was THAT?!? in Off Topic.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 02:21:26 am »

This may be a relative of the air kraken:

http://zapatopi.net/treeoctopus/
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 06:56:54 am »

I am imagining airborne  jellyfish  . They would be beautiful  propelling through the aether.

A sky dome plecostomus  fish

The Zeppelin barnacle   and attendant sucker fishes.

Aethermaids , a more Valkyrien type

Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 12:19:30 pm »

Red Kraken: Red kraken hunt in packs of 2 to 7 individuals, displaying coordinated hunting and ambush behavoir. They are unable to produce a sufficient quantity of their own lifting gasses, instead attacking the larger true Air Kraken and stealing their lifting gasses through bites on the victim's gas envelope. Since the population of true Kraken has declined due to commercial hunting in the Easter United and Confederate States, Red kraken have learned to attack and steal gasses from the next best available source: slow and ill-defended commercial cargo airships.

~-- Purveyour of Useless Facts, Strange Advice, Plots --~
Athanor
Zeppelin Admiral
Canada Canada

Keep them off-balance and brazen it out!

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 12:06:09 am »

Philip Jose Farmer wrote the SF novel, "The Wind Whales of Ishmael", first published in 1979....

Ishmael, lone survivor of the doomed whaling ship Pequod, falls through a rift in time and space to a future Earth—an Earth of blood-sucking vegetation and a blood-red sun, of barren canyons where once the Pacific Ocean roared.
Here too there are whales to hunt—but whales that soar through a dark blue sky....

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/435294.The_Wind_Whales_of_Ishmael

Athanor

"Truly I say to you, he who seeks, shall find. And quite often, he shall wish he hadn't."

- Elias Ashmole Crackbone.
chironex
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

The typing jellyfish monster

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 03:37:31 am »

I'm thinking the reference to "Doyle's Jellyfish" is linked to this?

Orkses is never beaten in battle. If we wins we wins and if we dies we dies fightin' so it don't count as beat. Even if we runs away it means we can always come back for anuvver go, see!

QUEENSLAND RAIL NOT FOR SALE!!!!!!
Inflatable Friend
Zeppelin Admiral
Italy Italy

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2015, 04:12:09 pm »

I'm thinking the reference to "Doyle's Jellyfish" is linked to this?

I still keep meaning to try and record that as a series of audio-logs (black box style). Might as well use my dulcet tones and mic for something fun (just need to soundproof a cupboard first).

Ahem...

My own false start on a 'found-diary' type thing showing a few air-critters can be found lurking over here: Creatures of the Upper Atmosphere. (The project went from web, to book, to short film, to gathering dust. Though looking at it again gives me the itch to do more, especially now non-commercial Renderman is an option!).

Other creatures might be:

Roc - A vast airjelly that migrates with the seasons, spending most of its life riding the troubled thermals that are found ahead of storm systems.

Barnacle - Parasitic creature that attaches itself to the outer skin of lighter-than-air creatures, inserting fronds under the skin to help bond itself to the hose and extract nutrients. Once sexually mature a barnacle can eject a cloud of spores once every 2-3 months during its reproductive season (typically spring-early summer in most climates, where moist warm winds help carry the spore). If it settles on a suitable biological host this spore will quickly try to establish itself and has shown a remarkable ability to adapt to various species[1]. A heavy barnacle infestation can be fatal to larger creatures, either due to excessive nutrient draw or because their weight overcomes the host creatures buoyancy. Barnacles pose no threat to human aircraft, though spores can cause irritation to the skin and especially to softer tissues of crew as they try to grow into the skin. Eyes, nose and mouth membranes are most at risk[2]

Lightning Bird - Not a bird, but a strange relative of the knifefish. This long multi-finned fish closely resembles the aquatic electric eel, but has evolved to spend most of its life at some considerable altitude, a feat achieved by the use of its prodigious array of fins. Most often found chasing towering cumulus types the Lightning Birds are most well known for their spectacular courtship displays which tend to take place inside such clouds toward the end of summer. Their electrical discharges alone rarely pose a heath hazard to a healthy adult, but the pain, sprise and disorientation can lead to serious complications aboard an aircraft. This can also affect an aircrafts more delicate systems. Hydrogen and Methane powered airships should be particularly cautious if Lightning Birds are sighted, their discharge has been known to cause arcing in some situations and has been linked to the loss-by-fire of several such craft.[3,4]
Immen Augustus Guell
Deck Hand

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2016, 01:59:46 am »

Ziz: Titan Lord of the Sky, Third of the Bestial Trinity, Father of all Birds, the flaming wings of this Titan make it the most feared creature to roam the aether. Its ethical nature is a mystery.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2016, 10:43:49 pm »

following

"Crazy pseudo-scot living in a fantasy world"
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2016, 02:23:08 am »

I am recalling a  British childrens TV show. It was set in Victorian England and featured a family of children  and no apparent adults in the cast

It was a story about a brass / golden pheonix  bird that eventually flew off. There may have been a  rolled up Persian carpet involved.
chironex
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

The typing jellyfish monster

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2016, 04:04:50 pm »

Jellies are difficult to spot.
Peace, man!
A storm is coming.
Damn big wasps around these parts.
That ain't no weather balloon.
A tree-skimming man-o-war.
Make sure you get on the correct flight.
Metal butterflies blow, man.
Could that have been a ... GREMLIN?
Please do not touch the aircraft.
So that's why Pluto isn't a planet any more...
von Corax
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2016, 06:24:50 pm »

I am recalling a  British childrens TV show. It was set in Victorian England and featured a family of children  and no apparent adults in the cast

It was a story about a brass / golden pheonix  bird that eventually flew off. There may have been a  rolled up Persian carpet involved.
I remember that one. It aired on TVOntario <mumble> years ago, and the end credits ran over a shot of an egg "un-burning" in a fireplace. Damned if I can recall more than that, though.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2016, 11:22:45 pm »

I think the show you remember is 'The Phoenix and the Carpet' (no kidding); it was based on a childrens book by E.Nesbit, who also wrote 'The Railway Children'.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
von Corax
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2016, 01:00:17 am »

I think the show you remember is 'The Phoenix and the Carpet' (no kidding); it was based on a childrens book by E.Nesbit, who also wrote 'The Railway Children'.

Thank you. That's definitely the one I was remembering.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2016, 03:18:19 am »

That a sound very familiar to the one I remember.  It had that Victorian occidental vibe .

Thank you for the book / author information. That name sounds familiar.  Railway children was also a big movie from my childhood .
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: