The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 16, 2017, 09:53:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Airship Class  (Read 6707 times)
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« on: July 25, 2015, 12:08:28 pm »

In this thread, we shall try to imagine different type of airship.

Airliner

Cargo

Cruise Airship

Cruiser|Frigate

Destroyer|Man-O-War

Privateer|Airship-Of-The-Line|Pirate

Fishing|Harpooneer

Troop Transport|Air Dragoon

Any other suggestion ?

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
Maets
Immortal
United States United States

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 12:50:56 pm »

I'll be watching and contributing to this thread  Thanks.

Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 03:46:42 pm »

How about Border/Coastal Patrol (with ground attack capabilities)?

"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 04:54:02 pm »

You're missing aircraft/ornithopter carrier (I don't see why early fixed wing aircraft could not be involved).

Prof Thadeus Q. Wychlock
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

What Watt ?!

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 07:56:05 pm »

Air-yacht
Bobardeer
Dreadnought
Flying (floating) prison hulk.

Smiley

"In a world whose only quarrel with instant gratification is that it takes too long, we are practitioners of a dying art: patience."
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2015, 10:52:08 pm »

Science/research vessel, and, closely related, Explorer class.

Ultra-high altitude experimental vessel.

Hospital ship.

Yours,
Miranda.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 02:27:14 am »

So far I have made:
Battleship
Cruise ship
Fishing vessel
Viking raider
factory ship
Communications ship
Sky yacht
along with several small fighters and just basic transportation ships

I will be starting a new one this week.  At the moment I'm leaning toward a science vessel or a pirate ship.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 02:50:56 pm by Maets » Logged
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2015, 02:42:24 pm »

As an aside, I've just been doing some quick research on high-altitude airships in preparation for a story I'm about to write. For anyone else intersted, have a look at the first half of this page: http://sped2work.tripod.com/zeppelins.html

Yours,
Miranda.
Burgess Shale
Officer

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 05:52:55 pm »

A scudabout - a small, quick airship for quick jaunts from an untethered airship to the ground or another airship. Like a runabout boat, but named after the rapidly moving cloud.

Dean of the Department of Palaeontology at the American Institute of Natural History and Decorative Arts
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 06:35:24 pm »

A scudabout - a small, quick airship for quick jaunts from an untethered airship to the ground or another airship. Like a runabout boat, but named after the rapidly moving cloud.

I like that. Mind if we use it?
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 06:49:46 pm »

You're missing aircraft/ornithopter carrier (I don't see why early fixed wing aircraft could not be involved).

I'd been giving some thought to a carrier-type of aeroship myself. How might that work? Do you mount the flight deck on top of the gas envelopes, so that the vessel more closely resembles a pontoon boat...? Or would carrying the weight above rather than below the envelopes bugger the stability...?*

On a related note, would aeroships be classified by how their envelopes are configured? If, for example, you employed a pontoon arrangement such as I've posited above, versus an arrangement of multiple spherical envelopes either in a line or as points of a square, versus two envelopes arranged like the nacelles of a certain Constitution-class starship, versus...?

*(I also see this as potentially the ideal configuration for astronomical and meteorological research vessels, as these would provide the best unobstructed views.)
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 07:03:06 pm »

You definitely need a double-envelope design to provide stability and enough weight to keep the vessel "right side up.". Another solution is to run a bit of a risk by designing the take off platform in beyween the two airbags such that the overal center of mass is slightly below the cross section center for the gas bags.  Basically the equivalent of a top-wing design in heavy lift aircraft, where the fuselage acts lime a pendulum.
Matthias Gladstone
Zeppelin Admiral

Call me Ishmael

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2015, 07:59:20 pm »

You definitely need a double-envelope design to provide stability and enough weight to keep the vessel "right side up.". Another solution is to run a bit of a risk by designing the take off platform in beyween the two airbags such that the overal center of mass is slightly below the cross section center for the gas bags.  Basically the equivalent of a top-wing design in heavy lift aircraft, where the fuselage acts lime a pendulum.

You can use a single envelope - just put the engines and bunkers in the bottom.

Southampton University Steampunk Society:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/184948814914233/
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2015, 08:19:05 pm »

I have made several small airships and call them jaunters.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2015, 08:21:20 pm »

I have made several small airships and call them jaunters.

That's a good one, too.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2015, 08:40:46 pm »

You definitely need a double-envelope design to provide stability and enough weight to keep the vessel "right side up.". Another solution is to run a bit of a risk by designing the take off platform in beyween the two airbags such that the overal center of mass is slightly below the cross section center for the gas bags.  Basically the equivalent of a top-wing design in heavy lift aircraft, where the fuselage acts lime a pendulum.

That may not be enough weight. But you can always make a pendulum by lowering the gondola and creating a "keel" that doubles as supporting structure.  It's basically a vertical stabilizer to discourage roll

(sorry for the typos - iPhone grammar).
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 08:43:37 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Matthias Gladstone
Zeppelin Admiral

Call me Ishmael

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2015, 09:17:55 pm »

You definitely need a double-envelope design to provide stability and enough weight to keep the vessel "right side up.". Another solution is to run a bit of a risk by designing the take off platform in beyween the two airbags such that the overal center of mass is slightly below the cross section center for the gas bags.  Basically the equivalent of a top-wing design in heavy lift aircraft, where the fuselage acts lime a pendulum.

That may not be enough weight. But you can always make a pendulum by lowering the gondola and creating a "keel" that doubles as supporting structure.  It's basically a vertical stabilizer to discourage roll

(sorry for the typos - iPhone grammar).

It would also lower the CoG - you can balance a single hull to suit, it's just a case of design. But that's by the by; a double hull could potentially give you a greater area to land on.

Edit: also, a side by side hull wouldn't actually increase stability in an airship - the centre of buoyancy would still be at the same height.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 09:20:28 pm by Matthias Gladstone » Logged
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2015, 09:39:12 pm »

How about a hanger style landing platform like in the space movies?
Prof Thadeus Q. Wychlock
Zeppelin Admiral

What Watt ?!

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2015, 09:58:18 pm »

Ooooh - a super carrier !! Smiley
Matthias Gladstone
Zeppelin Admiral

Call me Ishmael

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2015, 10:14:26 pm »

I'm sure most of you have seen this - but its worth repeating Smiley :

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2015, 10:35:43 pm »

That was really difficult, though... At least to my eyes and from the perspective of the pilot.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 10:37:20 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2015, 10:39:09 pm »

Fun concept to have a hangar platform. Reminds me of Last Exile with Van Ships.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 10:40:45 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2015, 10:40:08 pm »

Is this your card...?

(From War of the Worlds:  Goliath, this carries not only the fixed-wing fighter squadrons but also a squadron of Earth alliance battle tripods.)
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2015, 12:43:16 am »

Of course all of this is fantasy, and I should not be a pedant about it.  But being an aeronautical engineer I feel too bad if I don't point out that is way too much mass for the gas bags, not to mention balance and stability issues.

When hauling that much weight, I find the argument of a fantastical magnetic of gravity levitation system much more appealing.  Hence I go back to Last Exile type ships... If I'm doing fantasy, I prefer to use a bit more fantasy to justify my fantasy  Wink
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 12:50:35 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2015, 01:10:11 am »

Of course all of this is fantasy, and I should not be a pedant about it.  But being an aeronautical engineer I feel too bad if I don't point out that is way too much mass for the gas bags, not to mention balance and stability issues.

When hauling that much weight, I find the argument of a fantastical magnetic of gravity levitation system much more appealing.  Hence I go back to Last Exile type ships... If I'm doing fantasy, I prefer to use a bit more fantasy to justify my fantasy  Wink

Not a problem with the Leviathan; that world posits a 1914 where the nations of humanity have scavenged technology from the failed 1899 Martian invasion, so they're using Tesla's interpretations of Martian technology for propulsion, lift, weaponry, etc.

You should really check out that film; the animation for the various bits of Earth-Martian hybrid technology and the overall design work is quite impressive. (The animation for organic beings, and some of the story elements...meh, but overall it's still worth watching.)

War of the Worlds Goliath Official Trailer #1 (2014) - Animated Sci-Fi Movie HD

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: