The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 18, 2017, 09:25:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ITV programme - Jekyll and Hyde  (Read 1505 times)
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: July 23, 2015, 10:42:05 pm »

At some point between now and the end of the year ITV has a new version of Jekyll and Hyde, apparently set in the 1930s and penned by Charlie Higson. From the brief clips I've see there seems to be a strong Steampunk aesthetic in the production.

Yours,
Miranda.
Prof Thadeus Q. Wychlock
Zeppelin Admiral

What Watt ?!

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 11:00:21 pm »

I've seen the clips too. - looks interesting Smiley

"In a world whose only quarrel with instant gratification is that it takes too long, we are practitioners of a dying art: patience."
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 01:42:17 am »

Either of you have a link for the clips?
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 06:40:56 am »

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com
Prof Thadeus Q. Wychlock
Zeppelin Admiral

What Watt ?!

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 07:24:30 am »

Just the teaser trailer ......
http://youtu.be/eNxn7YHwyb0
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 02:40:55 pm »

Thanks!
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 07:34:41 pm »

A longer version of the tailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tei6HcAlG5U

Yours,
Miranda.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 07:40:33 pm by Miranda.T » Logged
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2015, 03:20:36 am »

Back in the late 1970s or early 1980s (I'm thinking specifically sometime between 1979-1981) there was a production of Jekyll & Hyde that showed up on this side of the pond over a couple of nights on PBS. (I missed it.) Does anyone recall a year, an actor, a production company...anything? I've been unsuccessful finding it. It's hook this time was that Hyde was the good-looking, charismatic one. Actor had dark hair as Hyde, if I recall.

p.s. As an aside, I believe I was the only young lad in the Western Hemisphere who stayed up to watch the made-for-televison musical version with Kirk Douglas in the dual role, which aired the same night as the premiere of The Six Million Dollar Man...

Dr Jekyl Mr Hyde Kirk Douglas Musical part 1

« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 04:05:11 am by GCCC » Logged
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2015, 05:41:51 am »

That's right, I saw this preview before, but had forgotten about it. Thanks for the reminder! Smiley

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2015, 07:14:28 am »

Back in the late 1970s or early 1980s (I'm thinking specifically sometime between 1979-1981) there was a production of Jekyll & Hyde that showed up on this side of the pond over a couple of nights on PBS. (I missed it.) Does anyone recall a year, an actor, a production company...anything? I've been unsuccessful finding it. It's hook this time was that Hyde was the good-looking, charismatic one. Actor had dark hair as Hyde, if I recall.

p.s. As an aside, I believe I was the only young lad in the Western Hemisphere who stayed up to watch the made-for-televison musical version with Kirk Douglas in the dual role, which aired the same night as the premiere of The Six Million Dollar Man...

dunno, there are several listed on imdb.
http://www.imdb.com/find?q=Jekyll+%26+Hyde&s=tt&ref_=fn_al_tt_mr
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2015, 08:23:05 am »

dunno, there are several listed on imdb.
http://www.imdb.com/find?q=Jekyll+%26+Hyde&s=tt&ref_=fn_al_tt_mr

Most likely it's the 1980 David Hemmings film, as that appears closest to the time frame and description as I remember it. (Listed separately as the two-part Masterpiece Theater episodes with Vincent Price hosting in 1981 on the link you provided.) It appears to have been released as a Region 2 DVD at some point according to one of the reviews, so I'll have to see if I can get it in Region 1 or region-free.

Thanks!
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2015, 11:39:09 am »

I quite liked Steven Moffat's spin on the tale in the 6-parter Jekyll. Taking a tale from Victorian times, updating to a modern setting and working with Mark Gatiss - now he'll never do that again...

I loved the trick used for the transformation scene in the early theatre productions and film - using two layers of makeup and changing the lighting to make the second visible. One day I must sort out how to do that for Haloween.

I also have a bit of a soft spot for the Hammer film Doctor Jekyll and Sister Hyde, can't think why... Wink

Yours,
Miranda.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 11:41:16 am by Miranda.T » Logged
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2015, 11:49:15 am »

I quite liked Steven Moffat's spin on the tale in the 6-parter Jekyll. Taking a tale from Victorian times, updating to a modern setting and working with Mark Gatiss - now he'll never do that again...

I loved the trick used for the transformation scene in the early theatre productions and film - using two layers of makeup and changing the lighting to make the second visible. One day I must sort out how to do that for Haloween.

I also have a bit of a soft spot for the Hammer film Doctor Jekyll and Sister Hyde, can't think why... Wink

Yours,
Miranda.

Haven't seen the first, and it's been a long time since I've seen the latter.

I used to (many, many decades ago) have a book that detailed how that was achieved. In a nutshell, the "transformation" makeup was red, so when filmed under red filters "Jekyll" looked normal. Then by slowing pulling up lighting with green filters while dimming the red caused the red makeup to show, revealing "Hyde". Actually quite a neat effect when pulled off in a home haunt during Halloween.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2015, 05:49:55 pm »

Just in case anyone has missed the adverts, this is on tonight (25.10.15) on UK ITV1, 6:30 GMT (just in case you forgot about putting the clocks back  Cheesy).

Yours,
Miranda.
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2015, 06:00:53 pm »

Going out tonight so recording it  (on +1)  along with Crusoe, Murdoch Mysteries, The Pinkertons, Downton Abbey, TNA Impact Wrestling & Strictly. (well I have to have some variety)

Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish

www.steampunkdj.co.uk  Please follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SteampunkDJ & Facebook https://www.facebook.com/steampunkdj
Heckler
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2015, 05:42:06 pm »

Well what do you folks think?

Personally I think it was an interesting take on it, I just hope it isn't going to turn into 'Jekyll fights vampires, Jekyll fights werewolves, Jekyll fights Noel Coward', endless series of monster of the week nonsense.

They obviously dropped a lot of money to make it, so why bury it in the God slot at 6.30 on a Sunday?

We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
H.P. Lovecraft
"The Call of Cthulhu"
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2015, 09:14:30 pm »

They obviously dropped a lot of money to make it, so why bury it in the God slot at 6.30 on a Sunday?

I liked it to. And it's supposed to be 'family viewing'; they always used to put this kind of thing on a Sunday.

But I don't remember kid's programming at that time on a Sunday having quite the level of body horror, violence or use of the word 'arse' in the 70's. Maybe my memory is going... Smiley

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2015, 09:18:42 pm »

It is put on earlier so that the gutter trash can claim the 9pm slot which mean that it's been made "child Friendly"
Heckler
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2015, 01:11:18 pm »

But I don't remember kid's programming at that time on a Sunday having quite the level of body horror, violence or use of the word 'arse' in the 70's. Maybe my memory is going... Smiley

Songs of Praise was a lot more gritty in the 70's.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2015, 09:58:43 pm »

Derivative yes, but enjoyable. Certainly the 'secret organisation fights assorted monsters' is a well-worn path but we'll see where they go with it. Did anyone else think there was a reference to the 1970's The Incredible Hulk TV series where Banner/The Hulk lifts the car in the first episode?

Yours,
Miranda.
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2015, 10:02:08 pm »

Songs of Praise was a lot more gritty in the 70's.

Have you seen what there watching and playing now a days?
If i have kids, i'm going to ban them from watching football as that promotes violence!

this could have been more.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2015, 12:06:20 am »

Enjoyed the first episode but haven't got around to the others yet, which I suppose tells its own tale.  I really liked the look of it but am not surprised at the furore the timeslot has caused. I feel there will probably be far too much talking and not enough action as it progresses while we find out the back story for every character, as this seems to be the case in so many series these days, so I doubt if it will really appeal to children anyway. Personally I still think some of the acts on Britains Got Talent are more terrifying.....

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2015, 01:23:07 pm »

700,000 viewers for the 1st episode leads to around 800 complaints and an Ofsted investigation.

I'm wondering if the people that complained were aware of the nature of the source material. 'Jekyll and Hyde' is hardly a children's book is it?

Oh well. ITV say they have no plans to move it from it's 7pm slot. They also point out that a warning is shown before the start of 'Jekyll and Hyde' which says it includes ''violence and scenes that younger children may find scary''.

I say people should familiarise themselves with the 'off' button on their remotes if it offends; and I do accept that some viewers will be offended because the level of violence in that timeslot. It surprised me as well.

But it's also funny how the 'Jurassic Park' is often shown on Sunday afternoons and receives no complaints. Not even when a dinosaur eats a lawyer on a toilet.  Smiley
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2015, 08:26:06 pm »

I'm quite enjoying this. The Steampunk elements are subtle but well realised (I liked the dart-gun in the last episode) and I'm loving the period detail and costuming. Neat how they are also using flashbacks to span the two eras. Some nice television in-jokes too.

Yours,
Miranda.
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2015, 04:15:26 pm »

Sunday's missing episode of Jekyll & Hyde is on ITV1 tonight at 8pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: