The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 16, 2017, 11:18:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: steampunk books  (Read 457 times)
curiouswonder
Swab

United States United States

« on: July 19, 2015, 05:50:40 pm »

I have started to read steampunk books. I was wondering if anyone out there who may be of help. What book would you suggest to someone looking for more of the steampunk books? The only one I have read and came across was called " The Constatine Affliction" by : T. Aaron Payton. Who also goes by Tim Pratt (T.Aaron Payton is his alter ego.) I love how Tim Pratt writes but at the same time hes the only one I have read when it comes to Steampunk books. The only other steampunk I have read was a manga book that my friend lent to me. It was different yet interesting itself seeing as it was manga. If anyone has any good ideas that maybe close to what I have read from the author I have previous read from please let me know what book and by who. I will also take any suggestions that maybe different from what I have already read. When reading the book I found I loved it and now seeking for more steampunk. Please and thank you : )
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 06:11:05 pm »

Mr. Payton's work is not on the list...yet...but try the following threads. These are the first three of five threads covering a range of literature/mediums.

Also, would you mind providing the name of the Manga you enjoyed? I'd like to see if it's already on the list or not.

A (Relatively Comprehensive) List of Modern Steampunk Novels:
http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,42449.0.html

A (Relatively Comprehensive) List of Steampunk Graphic Novels:
http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,42803.0.html

A (Relatively Comprehensive) List of Steampunk Anthologies:
http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,43749.0.html

I have a standing offer of sending anyone copies of the original Word .docs if they pm me here on the forum.

Additionally, there are other threads in Textual with suggestions.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 06:11:54 pm »

Hey, Moderators...Shouldn't this thread be in Textual?
Narsil
Immortal
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 07:37:24 pm »

I'd definitely recommend Robert Rankin's 'Japanese Devil Fish Girl' series. They are well written and intelligent but easy to read and have an edge of humour running through them without being full blow comedy or parody. They also tick most of the steampunk boxes with airships, magic, aliens, space travel and advanced Victorian tehnology but it certainly goes beyond being a generic genre novel and there is a lot of nice real world period detail woven into the fantasy which gives it a very convincing period  atmosphere. 

He's also written quite a few books before this series which are mostly not so definitely steampunk but have a similar feel and style and are well worth a look in themselves.

Another SP classic is 'The Difference Engine' by Gibson and Stirling. This is more of a serious alternate history work and is a bit more heavy going, especially as it adopts a pseudo Victorian writing style which isn't always completely fluent. This is more of a serious look at how history might have played out differently and doesn't have any of the fantasy elements.

A man of eighty has outlived probably three new schools of painting, two of architecture and poetry and a hundred in dress.
Lord Byron
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 07:46:07 pm »

I loved " the phenomenals"  by FE Higgins.

"Crazy pseudo-scot living in a fantasy world"
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

09madasafish
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2015, 07:50:52 pm »

Hey, Moderators...Shouldn't this thread be in Textual?

It should be.

*Mod magic*

et viola. Or as the French would say; 'there ya go'
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 07:52:33 pm by Madasasteamfish » Logged

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2015, 07:58:28 pm »

Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: