The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
July 16, 2018, 04:40:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Things that make you go WTF? MkII  (Read 32121 times)
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #650 on: December 07, 2017, 10:53:36 pm »

I answered a phone call at work last night, the lady asked me if we carried upholstery grade burlap. She wanted to reupholster some chairs. I very politely replied that I had never heard of upholstery grade burlap, but we had regular burlap... she hung up without saying goodbye. Burlap covered chairs? No thanks...

They staple it on the BOTTOMS of items that they are recovering.

WHOSE bott-! Oh. I see now.

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #651 on: December 08, 2017, 03:01:00 am »

Snow in Austin tonite!  Grin  I thought I'd never see this again in Austin. Most college age young ones don't even know it could get like this  Cheesy

« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 08:03:26 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

ForestB
Zeppelin Admiral

Lady of the copper frogs

« Reply #652 on: December 08, 2017, 03:22:10 am »

I answered a phone call at work last night, the lady asked me if we carried upholstery grade burlap. She wanted to reupholster some chairs. I very politely replied that I had never heard of upholstery grade burlap, but we had regular burlap... she hung up without saying goodbye. Burlap covered chairs? No thanks...

Not her, she wanted it for the whole damn chair.... Pinterest does strange things to people.

Please take a look at my website, see what I create...

http://www.forestbetz.weebly.com
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #653 on: December 08, 2017, 08:38:16 pm »

Not her, she wanted it for the whole damn chair.... Pinterest does strange things to people.

There was an ancient TV commercial about "bad ideas" .... regarding "Mom" who kept redocrating the interior of the house based
on the latest moronic fad...

at one point she re-did the entire interior in VERY ROUGH Stucco, sharp as razors, and the whole family was touching or bumping into the walls and covered with bandaids ....

fads .... meh.

yhs
prof grinch

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #654 on: December 17, 2017, 10:41:54 pm »

Wore my hat out in the snow, and my goggle lens spontaneously cracked

"Crazy pseudo-scot living in a fantasy world"
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #655 on: December 18, 2017, 12:43:28 am »

The bezel holding the lens (probably made from metal of some sort) contracted due to the cold.  Welcome to the wonderful world of mechanics of materials. Better on your hat than on your face.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #656 on: December 18, 2017, 09:47:18 am »

The bezel holding the lens (probably made from metal of some sort) contracted due to the cold.  Welcome to the wonderful world of mechanics of materials. Better on your hat than on your face.
the goggles are 100% painted plastic, though.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #657 on: December 18, 2017, 10:17:33 am »

The bezel holding the lens (probably made from metal of some sort) contracted due to the cold.  Welcome to the wonderful world of mechanics of materials. Better on your hat than on your face.

Most solid materials will contract with cold, including plastic. Also, some materials will permanently become brittle with age AND also further harden temporarily with cold temperatures.

Molecular structures can change as well depending on the temperature, which is what leads to the change in mechanical properties. In the case of plastics, though, age is probably the primary factor. This being a polymer and not metal, the molecular structure was the probably the same as yesterday, but it had become vulcanized over a long time, and it was already under stress (even internal stresses from uneven hardening). The cold just finished the job by adding more stress.

Plastics vulcanize over time, that is, the individual molecular chains start interlacing each other, and thus the material becomes hard and brittle (eg rubber tyres when they get old harden and crack).

Brittleness and hardness go hand in hand for most solid materials. Hardness is not equal to strength - quite the opposite, in mother nature, making something harder will usually make it more brittle - for an extreme example, think of a diamond; often touted as the hardest substance - it's actually quite fragile and breaks easily with the tap from a small hammer. A rubber ball, on the other hand, may be very difficult to tear apart. It is said that rubber is actually stronger than the diamond, but the diamond is harder than the rubber. Rarely, once in a blue moon, you will find a material that is both hard and strong in nature. That is why the discovery of metals was so revolutionary for humanity's development.

Your plastic was under stress, external or internal, may have already become brittle from age, and lost more mechanical strength in the cold. It could not sustain its own contraction. CRACK!
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #658 on: December 18, 2017, 10:18:07 am »

if the lenses are that tinted welder's glass, though, or especially just thin, stiff plexi, it could still get shattered from the plastic lenshousing parts contracting in the cold, if it's cold enough to make it happen (single-digit or minus temperatures, say)...
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #659 on: December 18, 2017, 12:45:38 pm »

it was certainly cold...it was snowing after all! I understand the mechanics of it happening, but i definitely hadn't expected it.
age it can't be, unless the seller had them in stock for a very long time before handing them to me.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #660 on: December 18, 2017, 08:27:21 pm »

it was certainly cold...it was snowing after all! I understand the mechanics of it happening, but i definitely hadn't expected it.
age it can't be, unless the seller had them in stock for a very long time before handing them to me.

Other factors come into play, mainly chemistry. UV rays (sun) greatly accelerate the vulcanization, like on your car dashboard. The biggest problem for the lifespan of any plastic is the fact that it's a man made material. Even if nothing is wrong with the plastic goggles, the vulcanization process also depends on additives which are meant to delay the vulcanization process. In other words, the plastic naturally hardens with age, but how fast it ages is controlled by a type of "oil" meant to slow down the polymer chains from interlacing. That depends on the type of plastic used, but also on how cheaply the material was made. Cheap plastic will age faster.  If not because it's lacking the substance meant to regulate the aging, possibly becas it retains an excess of catalyst used to purposely harden the plastic during manufacture.

Just think of cheap Epoxy glue vs a more expensive brand of Epoxy. The cheap Epoxy yellows and hardens much more quickly. Even the quality of glue is affected by cheap manufacture.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #661 on: December 31, 2017, 04:14:37 am »

In Ontario, all beverage alcohol sales is governed by the Liquor Control Act, and administered by the Liquor Control Board of Ontario (LCBO.) The LCBO holds a legal monopoly on both wholesale and retail sales of hard liquor, as well as imported liqueurs, wine, beer, cider &c., and an effective near-monopoly on Ontario wines, ciders and craft beers. (Ontario-produced soft liquors can also be sold in the producers' on-site retail outlets and, as of recently, in exactly 450 supermarkets provincewide. Pricing is still set by the LCBO, to the extent that retailers' POS systems must be programmed by LCBO employees. This is not the point of this rant.)

The LCBO is also the sole legal importer of beverage alcohol into Ontario. If, for example, I wish to purchase a French wine or a Belgian beer I must order it from the LCBO, and if it is not already listed with them there is much bureaucracy (and a two-case minimum) to face. Under Canadian law, interprovincial trade in alcohol is also considered "importation," with the effect that I can easily purchase both Lucid absinthe from France and Hill's "absinthe" from the Czech Republic, but not Taboo absinthe from British Columbia.

This is also not the point of this rant.

Since 2007, all beverage alcohol containers (glass, plastic, PET, TetraPak and bag-in-box) have been subject to a 10¢ or 20¢ deposit, collected by the LCBO at the point of purchase; however, the LCBO has no facilities to refund this deposit.

This, again, is not the point of this rant.

The second-largest alcohol retailer in Ontario is The Beer Store (formerly Brewers' Retail Inc.), which was established in 1927 and owned by the formerly Big Three formerly Canadian brewers: Molson's (now Molson-Coors) and Labatt (now owned by Anheuser-Busch InterBev); the third partner was originally Carling O'Keefe (now owned by Molson-Coors) and is now Sleeman Brewing (owned by Saporro.) The Beer Store sells Ontario-produced beers either owned or contract-brewed by its owning partners, as well as a few larger regional brews, but not smaller craft brews. (My local outlet, for example, carries beer from small breweries in The City of Steel and The City At the Centre of Itself, but no craft beers from right here in The Deforested City; for that I must go to the brewery or to the LCBO. Yet again, this is not the point of this rant.)

The Beer Store also operates (at a loss, and under protest) the LCBO's deposit-return network, accepting all beer, wine, liqueur and spirit containers. My local Beer Store has several five-foot-tall stacks of baskets for the collection of loose "single" containers. This evening I asked what the deposit was on a basket, intending to take one home to gather loose liquor and beer bottles, and was told that the baskets may not leave the store.

Huh
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 04:16:23 am by von Corax » Logged

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #662 on: December 31, 2017, 12:39:23 pm »

The Beer Store also operates (at a loss, and under protest) the LCBO's deposit-return network, accepting all beer, wine, liqueur and spirit containers. My local Beer Store has several five-foot-tall stacks of baskets for the collection of loose "single" containers. This evening I asked what the deposit was on a basket, intending to take one home to gather loose liquor and beer bottles, and was told that the baskets may not leave the store.
Huh

My parents used to occasionally get soft drink bottles from Slades, and had to get a crate full of 12(?) bottles each time. If they returned the crate full of empty bottles to Slades, they got a refund. There was no other way to get the bottles. It always had to be a crate full, even if you were just expecting one third of them to be needed in the next month (we didn't regularly drink soft drink). For years, only South Australia has a government-run recycling platform, where any cans or bottles are charged extra but can be returned for a small refund.

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #663 on: December 31, 2017, 02:15:02 pm »

The USSR had similar problems. You could take empty glass bottles in special collection points. And get money for them. But these items constantly lacked containers (boxes for bottles). And then they took.

And yet, all the time there was a queue. Don't know why. When I was a child. Probably on weekdays, they worked like all institutions, when everyone was at work. But all weekend people were going to turn. When was the package.

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #664 on: January 03, 2018, 07:45:37 pm »

You know the weather is more than just wonky when:

1. BBC reports: "the coming storm will in many ways resemble a winter hurricane. Forecasters say a severe pressure drop will lead to an explosive winter storm along the eastern US, and is already bringing snow to Florida." The storm known as " Bomb Cyclone " is an unofficial term for what is known as Explosive Cyclogenesis, according to BBC Weather. This occurs when the central pressure of a low pressure system falls by 24 millibars in 24 hours and can result in violent winds developing around the system.

2. The climate is reversed at the poles, with Alaska being much warmer than normal.  It was actually colder in Jacksonville, Florida, than it was in Anchorage, Alaska, at a balmy  48 F / 9 C, on Tuesday. Antarctica's Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station recorded a temperature on Tuesday of -12 (-24.5C)F, just one degree warmer than Indianapolis, Indiana.

Oh yeah. Central Texas was hovering between 10 F / - 12 C and 20 F / - 7 C this morning, with snow besides the more common sleet and ice. Not unusual at all for Central Texas in the 1980s and 1990s (for those who are are old enough to remember), but virtually unknown to young people born after the year 2000. Starting in 2001, we started seeing ridiculously warm Februarys with temperatures as high as 25C /72 F.

3. Winter storm Eleanor has swept into most of northern Europe, including France and Germany after battering the UK, cutting power to tens of thousands of homes and affecting transport. A skier died in the French Alps and 15 others were injured elsewhere in the country, four of them seriously. A train was blown off its tracks in Switzerland

4. Earlier this week, king penguins at the Calgary Zoo in Canada's western Alberta province were kept in their indoor shelters to avoid the bitter cold.

Since when do you have to protect the penguins in a zoo from the bitter cold? They're f*ing penguins!!   Cheesy
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 08:12:37 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #665 on: January 03, 2018, 10:20:35 pm »

The Calgary Zoo penguins have probably adapted to being kept in slightly warmer circumstances than Antarctica, and may now feel very severe cold.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #666 on: January 04, 2018, 12:56:31 am »

The Calgary Zoo penguins have probably adapted to being kept in slightly warmer circumstances than Antarctica, and may now feel very severe cold.

I say they're just spoiled birds  Grin
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #667 on: January 04, 2018, 07:49:37 am »

They probably are!  Grin
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #668 on: January 05, 2018, 06:59:35 pm »

I say they're just spoiled birds  Grin

Only Emperor and Adelie penguins actually live in Antarctica so the poor King penguins are probably very miserable in the extreme cold.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #669 on: January 06, 2018, 12:19:27 am »

On the news:

New Hampshire's Mount Washington, which boasts of having the "world's worst weather", is expecting wind chill to feel like -90F (-67C) on Friday night.

Law enforcement in the US state of Indiana issued a joke warrant for the arrest of the heroine in Disney movie Frozen, blaming her for the cold snap. Queen Elsa is wanted for "maintaining a common nuisance", the Seymour police department said.
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #670 on: January 06, 2018, 04:46:06 am »

No point in arresting Elsa for the cold weather, because, of course....

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #671 on: January 06, 2018, 05:39:35 am »

No point in arresting Elsa for the cold weather, because, of course....

Ohhh, you came soooooo close to a 30 day ban for that one!  Wink Grin

[Server Prayer]
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #672 on: January 18, 2018, 05:45:39 pm »

Quality Chinglish make read so Aardvark!...

So I was on internet looking for some replacement bike parts, when all of a sudden I heard a screaming sound. I quickly realised that it was the intelligent portion of my brain reacting to the horror laid before it :
Bike Rear Shift Hanger
It is used on bikes where the derailleur is held in place by the nuts.
Bicycle frame Rear shift Hangers belong vulnerable parts, general riders go wild ride will bring a combination of tools, spare wheel of a class in case of emergency, but the vast majority would not have thought of bringing this small part.
If you hit the right side of wrestling in horseback riding, there is a possibility of ear damage, this case is very common, especially in long distance runners, this accessory is possible to become an essential piece.

WTF??   Huh

It's language Jim, but not as we know it....  Cheesy
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #673 on: January 18, 2018, 09:29:37 pm »

So I was on internet looking for some replacement bike parts, when all of a sudden I heard a screaming sound. I quickly realised that it was the intelligent portion of my brain reacting to the horror laid before it :
Bike Rear Shift Hanger
Bicycle frame Rear shift Hangers belong vulnerable parts, general riders go wild ride will bring a combination of tools, spare wheel of a class in case of emergency, but the vast majority would not have thought of bringing this small part.
If you hit the right side of wrestling in horseback riding, there is a possibility of ear damage, this case is very common, especially in long distance runners, this accessory is possible to become an essential piece.

WTF??   Huh

And yet, I know the meaning of every single word in that paragraph...
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #674 on: January 18, 2018, 10:58:30 pm »

Bike Rear Shift Hanger

WTF??   Huh

And yet, I know the meaning of every single word in that paragraph...

Wrestling and horseback riding? Hmmm.

I propose a new sport, aimed at the Tex Mex crowd: Bronco Lucha Libre  Grin
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: