The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 21, 2017, 11:12:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Things that make you go WTF? MkII  (Read 21955 times)
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #600 on: August 05, 2017, 06:05:49 am »

For those with sweating issues, I can see it as a practical, if inelegant, solution to the problem.

However, I can't see this as a way of spicing up one's love-life...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-40822957

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #601 on: August 05, 2017, 06:31:09 am »

One had to wonder what people are thinking if at all.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40793544

Now when they say temperature over 100 F, that is what we have now in Texas, but I imagine it will be hotter in the desert and they have no shade to go to.

I've noticed a trend among the younger set of hikers, fitness types and thrillseekers lately; whereas before (say around 1990 and before, up to about 2003 or so) everybody usually cultivated a sense for safety and the avoidance of dangerous conditions, these days, for whatever reason, everybody seems to be trying to kill themselves.

I'm not joking here. People like myself, who are used to pushing a heavy lawnmower in 100+ degree heat, not to mention the professional mowers, A/C repairmen, landscapers, and other "outdoor professionals" who labor day in and day out in the horrifically hot weather, are used to such conditions, and we know how long we can last going full tilt in the heat, and have enough sense to carry water and hydrate as we go. But apparently, even though there's a veritable craze on in the fitness fad kingdom for fancy and ever more ridiculously expensive canteens and water bottles, the people who are into that don't have any idea what the things are for, or what to do with the liquid in them. Not too much trouble there, really, what with water fountains and convenience stores dotting the landscape ad nauseum (another problem, though, it's hard on the heart to be nearly dead with heat exhaustion and then drink an ice-cold drink; I've seen otherwise healthy young people have heart attacks doing that), but then there's the fact that they just can't seem to tell when they've had enough and need to rest, shade or no shade.  I see it in the gym and all over the neighborhood; people seem to think that getting overheated and dangerously exhausted is good for you.

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #602 on: August 05, 2017, 09:34:41 am »

One had to wonder what people are thinking if at all.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40793544

Now when they say temperature over 100 F, that is what we have now in Texas, but I imagine it will be hotter in the desert and they have no shade to go to.

I've noticed a trend among the younger set of hikers, fitness types and thrillseekers lately; whereas before (say around 1990 and before, up to about 2003 or so) everybody usually cultivated a sense for safety and the avoidance of dangerous conditions, these days, for whatever reason, everybody seems to be trying to kill themselves.

I'm not joking here. People like myself, who are used to pushing a heavy lawnmower in 100+ degree heat, not to mention the professional mowers, A/C repairmen, landscapers, and other "outdoor professionals" who labor day in and day out in the horrifically hot weather, are used to such conditions, and we know how long we can last going full tilt in the heat, and have enough sense to carry water and hydrate as we go. But apparently, even though there's a veritable craze on in the fitness fad kingdom for fancy and ever more ridiculously expensive canteens and water bottles, the people who are into that don't have any idea what the things are for, or what to do with the liquid in them. Not too much trouble there, really, what with water fountains and convenience stores dotting the landscape ad nauseum (another problem, though, it's hard on the heart to be nearly dead with heat exhaustion and then drink an ice-cold drink; I've seen otherwise healthy young people have heart attacks doing that), but then there's the fact that they just can't seem to tell when they've had enough and need to rest, shade or no shade.  I see it in the gym and all over the neighborhood; people seem to think that getting overheated and dangerously exhausted is good for you.

Have you seen the temperatures in Italy and Spain yesterday? They reached 110 F / 44 C ! Welcome to some of the hottest Texas temperatures. I guess it's just the right time to film another Spaghetti Western movie. The weather will make a very realistic set for method actors.  Grin

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly Theme • Ennio Morricone

For those with sweating issues, I can see it as a practical, if inelegant, solution to the problem.

However, I can't see this as a way of spicing up one's love-life...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-40822957

Kinda reminds me of the late 1960s fashions.... like the really hot actress Sherry Jackson, rocking a halter jumpsuit in the set of Star Trek episode "What Little Girls Are Made Of"  Grin

http://www.startrek.com/article/exclusive-interview-sherry-jackson-andrea-on-the-original-series

http://www.startrek.com/watch_video/episode-preview-what-are-little-girls-made-of

Star Trek - Androids

You have to give it up for Gene Roddenberry's cast in the original series  Grin

http://funsubstance.com/fun/51822/spocks-got-the-moves/
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 09:59:37 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #603 on: August 05, 2017, 02:03:15 pm »

J Wilhelm, when I first moved up here in the summer of 2009, I nailed up a thermometer on the inside, shady part of my then front verandah, & kept a record of the temperatures. The weekend I moved in was pretty mild, 40-42oC, but by the end of the week I recorded 47.6oC & that was in the shade!! For the first time since the little town was founded the creek we drew our water from ran dry and the shire council had to truck water in. Then we had bushfires. Then it started to rain, and rain, and rain, and rain etc.!
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #604 on: August 06, 2017, 12:57:18 am »

J Wilhelm, when I first moved up here in the summer of 2009, I nailed up a thermometer on the inside, shady part of my then front verandah, & kept a record of the temperatures. The weekend I moved in was pretty mild, 40-42oC, but by the end of the week I recorded 47.6oC & that was in the shade!! For the first time since the little town was founded the creek we drew our water from ran dry and the shire council had to truck water in. Then we had bushfires. Then it started to rain, and rain, and rain, and rain etc.!

46 C / 115 F are the hottest temperatures I've experienced in August in the San Antonio/Austin area of (Central) Texas since I started visiting in the 1970s/80s as a child. It is by no means the highest temperature (Maybe Yuma in South East California and Southern Arizona might be worse - at least higher temperatures most of the year).

Read my comments on the "Confederate Arizona Theatre of Operations" of the US Civil War. That territory was won/lost in less than one year at the beginning of the war, because no real battles were actually possible in daytime during the Summer. The fight in fact lost steam by March and it was all over by June 1862.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 06:33:02 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #605 on: August 07, 2017, 03:53:47 pm »

« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 05:39:49 pm by SeVeNeVeS » Logged

rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #606 on: August 07, 2017, 05:01:30 pm »

I'm inclined to support you on this, but I'm also aware that in actuality a funeral isn't about the person who is no longer with us as much as it is a chance for the people to who they mattered coming to some kind of resolution of the sense of loss they feel.

I lost a couple of friends in highschool, and a few years before in a conversation they'd specifically said they wanted everybody to wear dayglow colors with safety orange reflector vests to their funeral and sing silly songs. Nobody did, not even I (though I did sing a silly lymeric in the parking lot, for which I was scowled and and hushed... until I asked the hushers what the two friends would have thought about my lymeric and they had to admit they would have appreciated it). and I could see the weight and pain in their parents the whole time, and knew making light at the time would have hurt them.

But when given the opportunity to tell stories, and share a eulogy I think there is some room for doing things ... "in the spirit" of the departed.

Also you might be able to get the herse driver to play ride of the valkyries in the herse at least, where only those there at the start, end and near while it goes by will be aware of it.

O fortuna during cremation might also be possible, though I'd make sure nobody is attending that who would take that as offensive.

after the funeral during whatever gathering there is it should maybe be an opportunity to do a toast with a song by the goons sung by the both of you. with a preamble of telling people about his love of music and a particular song he'd be pleased as punch to have the family sing together.

Hmmm, maybe not the whole family but just those who might be engaged in a discussion of memories of his musical sense of tastes.

von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #607 on: August 07, 2017, 05:25:36 pm »

The funeral is for mourning the departed, the wake is for celebrating them. Play the Goons at the wake, as you raise a glass to dear old Dad.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #608 on: August 07, 2017, 05:39:05 pm »

The funeral is for mourning the departed, the wake is for celebrating them. Play the Goons at the wake, as you raise a glass to dear old Dad.
Will do, thanks for the advice.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #609 on: August 07, 2017, 05:40:49 pm »

I have been told by several people that in no way can I request a certain track be played at my Dads funeral and I am still more than slightly miffed, isn't the funeral supposed to be about Dad, his life and interests, not what people consider reverent and traditional ?

He had a wicked sense of humour and loved the Goons, so this is off the menu it seems, my brother loves the idea and really gets it, Mum and other relatives on the other hand........
Oh well, maybe as the coffin goes into the furnace, one of these.......

Honestly, I am determined to make the event something Dad would appreciate somehow.

Any suggestions?

Speaking as someone who has gone through 3 or 4 immediate family funerals (not counting friends' families), I can tell you there is an alternative: the wake. No I'm not talking about an Irish wake, but rather an informal meeting after the funeral, where the life of the person will be remembered. In that case, the music, family home movies and accounts by people who knew the deceased, including all the funniest parts of their life is 100% appropriate.

The solemn and religious part of the ritual with open casket was done BEFORE the wake, and the wake is an open invitation for whoever may want to attend. That's the best way to do it.

For my grandfather we had a wake 6 months after his funeral. For my aunt we had a wake immediately after the funeral, but at a different location (a women's club mansion). There was food, live music, and people were celebrating the life of the dearly departed.

I can attest that in both cases it was absolutely beautiful and respectful. We all cried a lot and recounted their lives, in a way in which we all felt much better afterwards. It's one of the best ways to say goodbye. If some people don't want to attend, that's OK.

Seven, perhaps you need to lead by example. Why not organize a wake for your father after the funeral. Take as long as you need.

PS Sorry about the typos. My iPod's spell check makes me sound like I have a speech impediment or something along those lines...
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 06:08:52 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #610 on: August 07, 2017, 05:45:02 pm »

I have been told by several people that in no way can I request a certain track be played at my Dads funeral and I am still more than slightly miffed, isn't the funeral supposed to be about Dad, his life and interests, not what people consider reverent and traditional ?

He had a wicked sense of humour and loved the Goons, so this is off the menu it seems, my brother loves the idea and really gets it, Mum and other relatives on the other hand........
Oh well, maybe as the coffin goes into the furnace, one of these.......

Honestly, I am determined to make the event something Dad would appreciate somehow.

Any suggestions?

Speaking as someone who has gone through 3 or 4 immediate family funerals (not counting friends' families), I can tell you there is an alternative: the wake. No I'm not talking about an Irish wake, bit rather an informal meeting after the funeral where the life of the person will be remembered. In that case, the music, family home movies and accounts by people who knew the deceased, including all the funniest parts of their life is 100% apropriate.

The solemn an religious part of the ritual with open casket was done BEFORE the wake, and the wake is an open invitation for whoever mat want to attend. That's the best way to do it.

For my grandfather we had a wake 6 months after his funeral. For my aunt we had a wake immediately after the funeral, but at a different location (a women's club mansion). The was food, live music, and people were celebrating the life of the dearly departed.

I can attest that in both cases it was absolutely beautiful and respectful. We all cried a lot and recounted their lives, in a way in which we all felt much better afterwards. It one of the best ways to say goodbye. If some people don't want to attend, that's ok.

Seven, perhaps you need to lead by example. Why not organize a wake for your father after the funeral. Take as long as you need.
The wake it is then! Cheers chaps!!
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #611 on: August 07, 2017, 06:13:41 pm »

Yeah. If no one else had the initiative, then it falls on you. But I can say that I appreciated the wake far more than the funerals, having never seen a wake before, especially because it's a family gathering. It's the time when everyone comes together to say goodbye, people lift each other up, and people mark the start of a new chapter, especially if there are younger members of the family. We all come to this Earth, meet each other and then we have to leave. We should see it like the event that it really is. We celebrate the arrival as well as the departure.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #612 on: August 10, 2017, 07:35:25 pm »

This link below. WTF? I'm starting to think that all of humanity has lost its marbles.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-40889511
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #613 on: August 11, 2017, 12:03:25 pm »

A shaman wearing a fur suit, Bigfoot, Sasquatch, the Lizard Man and "The Swamp Thing." All to be found in North Carolina.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40892336
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #614 on: August 12, 2017, 08:14:53 am »

I think I'd better start looking up when I'm walking downtown. This happened here in the city where I live about a month ago. Both drivers survived without injury (which is very surprising for the driver). Apparently BMW sedans (a/k/a saloons) can survive a 7 storey fall with the passengers unharmed.

http://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-40904076/car-plunges-seven-storeys-off-us-parking-garage
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #615 on: August 12, 2017, 04:51:47 pm »

That would give you some confidence in their safety features, then, wouldn't it!  Grin
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #616 on: August 26, 2017, 06:09:14 pm »

« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 07:00:07 pm by SeVeNeVeS » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #617 on: August 27, 2017, 02:01:53 am »

Really? I thought ;
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #618 on: August 27, 2017, 02:42:39 am »

Actually I did think 'WTF..?'
  Well played, Mr SeVeNeVeS.  Wink
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #619 on: August 27, 2017, 04:55:08 pm »

@_-_-_-_->!~*~!<-_-_-_-_@
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #620 on: September 05, 2017, 09:50:07 pm »

"Woman trapped in window while trying to retrieve poo"

The amateur gymnast got jammed in a toilet window trying to retrieve poo she had thrown out of a window

Quote from: BBC News
A woman who threw her poo out of her date's toilet window because it "would not flush" had to be rescued after she got stuck trying to retrieve it.
The amateur gymnast was on a first date with Bristol student Liam Smith when she "panicked" and threw the faeces out of the window.
It did not land in the garden, but became wedged between two non-opening windows.
After climbing in head first after it, she became wedged.
Mr Smith had to call the fire brigade for help.

After the fire service had "composed themselves," Mr Smith said they set to work freeing his date from the window

Mr Smith, who is hoping to raise funds to fix his broken window, wrote that he was on a Tinder date with the woman and they went back to the shared house he lives in. He said the woman went to the toilet and when she came back she had a "panicked look in her eye" and told him what she had done.
He said the toilet window opened into a narrow gap separated by another double glazed window.
"It was into this twilight zone that my date had thrown her poo," he said.
He went to find a hammer to smash the window, but she decided to "climb in head first" after the "offending package" and became jammed.
"I was starting to grow concerned, so I called the fire brigade and once they had composed themselves, they set to work removing her from the window."

The "offending package" was trapped between two "non-opening" double glazed windows

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-41167296

"Unsurprisingly, the woman does not want to be named but Mr Smith said he had seen her since and "who knows what the future holds".

I sense this man may be pretty desperate for female company - Nope, I would drop her like the turd flinging mental case she clearly is!  Cheesy

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #621 on: September 06, 2017, 12:33:27 am »

To be fair ... Bristol, so who knows  Grin

I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #622 on: September 06, 2017, 10:07:18 am »

So the solution was to throw it out the window... And now the guy is "trying to raise funds" to replace the window (I presume the turd was properly removed and not just thrown out again into the street...)

Me thinks, these two (not just the girl) would make ideal candidates for forced sterilization. Seriously, this was a Tinder date! They're going to end up reproducing and making kids with well-below-average intelligence.

PS

There might still be an opportunity to sterilize her. I fully expect her to go back to a hospital any time in the next few months, with some emergency such as a door knob stuck in a nostril.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 10:21:43 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #623 on: September 06, 2017, 06:24:25 pm »

To be fair ... Bristol, so who knows  Grin

They're going to end up reproducing and making kids with well-below-average intelligence.

*See above comment.  Should fit right in with the locals...  Wink Grin          (Joking!)

Seriously though, the correct procedure is to hide the "Danger to shipping" sized turd in the toilet CISTERN where nobody will be any the wiser for at least 24 hours. THEN make your excuses and leave, and on your way out of the door - delete your Tinder profile and all other contact or personal info you may have shared. Then ditch your mobile (cell) phone and buy a new one with a new SIM card (new number).

If you make a habit of this (please don't!), it's probably best to only carry a cheap 'burner' "pay as you go" mobile (cell) phone - it's a lot cheaper and quicker to replace.

Oh and if the above advice fails, contact me and I will pass on a number to call, upon which for a fee paid in advance, a nondescript white Transit van, a roll of old carpet, two spades and a bag of quicklime can be provided within 45 minutes. Help disposing of bodies and cleanup costs extra and is charged by the hour...
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #624 on: September 06, 2017, 07:17:19 pm »

wtf indeed. it poo, not concrete (unless you snack on bags of concrete, in which case I'm sorry for the misunderstanding). You literally should just cut the $#!+. make it more managable and flushable portions. Unless you are eating your play-doh a plunger or toilet brush should work fine.

what kind of chimp grabs and flings their poo out a window?
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: