The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 19, 2018, 03:13:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... 33   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Things that make you go WTF? MkII  (Read 35991 times)
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

09madasafish
« Reply #550 on: May 06, 2017, 02:24:33 pm »

My the WTF is, alot of people slag off the NHS, I have just found out that a male nurse that works there has been coming in on his only day off and checking in to see how my dad is doing, feeding him and other stuff.

Apparently, the other day my dad said he could use some fresh air, so, he was dressed, plonked in a wheelchair and ferried up to the roof for a view over our fair city, all unpaid.

As far as I am concerned this is above and beyond the call of duty and that man should given some kind of caring award!!

My Giddy God, there are some fantastic people in this world.

Hear hear. The people who work in the NHS do an often unpleasant job under increasingly horrible conditions and what do they get in return? Constantly slagged off by the Tabloids, criticised by members of the public for any mistake that's made no matter where the fault actually lies and beaten over the head with an ever larger stick by the govt.

Why do we never hear the papers talking about stuff like this?

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #551 on: May 06, 2017, 03:05:15 pm »

Hear hear. The people who work in the NHS do an often unpleasant job under increasingly horrible conditions and what do they get in return? Constantly slagged off by the Tabloids, criticized by members of the public for any mistake that's made no matter where the fault actually lies and beaten over the head with an ever larger stick by the govt.

Why do we never hear the papers talking about stuff like this?
I was sure I had mentioned this before, but a search comes up with a blank.

Another outstanding NHS person I witnessed was an ambulance paramedic, again called out to my dad. I could only watch in awe and amazement in how she handled both the situation and the compassion she showed for the patient. Everything was done with so much care and consideration , I was gobsmacked and very impressed.

So, yes, why do we not hear more stories in the news about these wonderfull, passionate people on piss poor wages working shitty hours, because it seems they genuinely care for the welfare of strangers. Bless 'em all!!!

Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #552 on: May 06, 2017, 04:13:58 pm »

The frontline NHS staff are truly amazing, caring people.  In the past they have saved both my and my husbands life (on different occasions), but a visit to A&E recently showed that they are stretched almost beyond capacity - and yet they still care.  I don't know what the solution is I only know that we, as a nation, will be infinitely poorer if we let these people down.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #553 on: May 06, 2017, 07:47:02 pm »

My Giddy God, there are some fantastic people in this world.
My experience tells me that cancer care has a much higher proportion than in the general population. Bizarrely I have very fond memories of my time on the cancer ward - due entirely to the people there.

Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #554 on: May 07, 2017, 12:42:33 am »

Yes, SeVeNeVeS, health services do get slagged off a lot - except (generally) by the people who've been in 'em, & their families - although I have hear patients moaning to their relatives that 'morning tea was 5 minutes late' or some such.
Yes, you sometimes have to wait, even for help to the loo, but what some people don't seem to recognise is that emergencies take precedence over everything! People running and the crash cart belting down the hallway mean something else a bit more serious than your twisted sheets or blankets

I've had a lot to do with local hospitals, having been in and out of a couple of them over the last nearly twenty one years since the first of my accidents. Not one insulting or offensive remark will cross my lips! I have been attended too, treated and cared for so well - the staff's of hospitals do go above and beyond, and are duly appreciated.

Commiserations for your dad's situation - it's a tough time for everyone in your family. Thoughts are wth you.

And we never hear very much about the good that people do, because it doesn't sell newspapers, or switch people on to news services.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 12:45:07 am by Banfili » Logged
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #555 on: May 14, 2017, 03:46:35 pm »

Asparagus creme brulé. Seriously those two flavour should never be combined. Expecially not be served as a sweet dish.

"Crazy pseudo-scot living in a fantasy world"
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #556 on: May 14, 2017, 09:02:26 pm »

I generally recommend talking to the disabled and those with chronic conditions in certain countries, who will go unnamed, for anybody who is all in a huff about their countries national healthcare systems.

if nothing else it's a good illustrative example of what has to appreciate.

J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #557 on: May 14, 2017, 09:20:14 pm »

Asparagus creme brulé. Seriously those two flavour should never be combined. Expecially not be served as a sweet dish.

Avocado (aka alligator pear) ice cream anyone?  Tongue Blegh! According to Wiki, in a few countries where the Avocado was last introduced, such a Portuguese speaking countries and Indonesia, for example the avocado is consumed as a sweet dish or even a type of sweet milkshake  Tongue  Tongue

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #558 on: May 15, 2017, 01:28:31 am »

I don't really have a WTF to add in here right now; I just want to weigh in on this healthcare thing and people running down the professionals and practices in that field:

A number of years ago, I friended a person on a certain social media site who is absolutely vehemently and militantly into the Antivax movement in her own country (and worldwide as well), so I tend to get bombarded with messages about such from her end of that spectrum.

I'm not into that kind of thing much, though I am a bit "there and all" for curbing doctors' tendencies to force their opinions and diagnoses on patients when other answers and solutions are obviously just as valid.

That being said, however, I would not have survived my recent brushes with pneumonia and with dehydration (and other issues) if I did not trust my doctors, and doctors in general, and the vaccine that saved my life (in the case of pneumonia), if I carried it so far as to be militant about and against such things. I'd most likely be dead, now,  if I did or had done that. Vaccines, doctors, and medicine in general have been much more beneficial than detrimental to me in my personal experience. Spare me the tirade about how it's all appearances and smoke and mirrors and some grand conspiracy yadda yadda. My continued mostly-sane existence is proof that that particular brand of hysteria is mostly hogwash, as far as I'm concerned.

Buuuttt...(lol), I let the tirades and obvious misappropriations of seemingly-valid but actually-erroneous info slide off my back, mainly because friendship is more important to me than a person's views.

My two cents.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 01:31:43 am by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #559 on: May 15, 2017, 10:03:34 pm »

My WTF is what people consider a rentable space and a reasonable rent.

Just went to look at a 'place'. 8x10 living room/bedroom, with 6x4 bathroom, and 10x 5 kitchenette. Chipping lead paint, ceiling tiles showing a few mismatched paint spots suggesting covering stains (maybe water from upstairs, maybe blood from the last person who asked too many questions). No utilities included. surrounded by other tenants, one is owner occupied, the rest including the one offered are "Not intended for long term renters."

When I asked about the ceiling he basically told me I was imagining things. lol. When I pointed out that painted white on unpaired ivory colored tiles stands out and if he's saying it wasn't done by him, a previous tenant may be covering signs of water damage. "If you're going to be this picky then this place isn't for you." backed me out the door a pulled the door out of my hand as I was going through.

He wants somebody to pay him $600 a month for that.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #560 on: May 16, 2017, 11:15:28 am »

Just went to look at a 'place'. 8x10 living room/bedroom, with 6x4 bathroom, and 10x 5 kitchenette. Chipping lead paint, ceiling tiles showing a few mismatched paint spots suggesting covering stains (maybe water from upstairs, maybe blood from the last person who asked too many questions). No utilities included. surrounded by other tenants, one is owner occupied, the rest including the one offered are "Not intended for long term renters."

When I asked about the ceiling he basically told me I was imagining things. lol. When I pointed out that painted white on unpaired ivory colored tiles stands out and if he's saying it wasn't done by him, a previous tenant may be covering signs of water damage. "If you're going to be this picky then this place isn't for you." backed me out the door a pulled the door out of my hand as I was going through.

He wants somebody to pay him $600 a month for that.

In these parts a 1975 era apartment complex with un-levelled floor (the whole complex is sliding toward the freeway because its has a slab foundation over mud), with two 10x10 rooms, 2 baths and an RV-sized kitchen with a rusty half size oven, pint sized fridge (because in the 1970s we were all going to cook in a microwave, remember?)... and ah, yes! while clean upon delivery, it has an an thriving ecosystem inside the walls, comprised of small German cockroaches, tank-sized American cockroaches, mice AND rats (I killed one mouse and two rats and several thousand cockroaches in the space on 11 months... plus a couple of raccoons trying to destroy the roof... costs....$1200 per month!

Did I mention that civil engineers would come in twice a year to measure the cracks in the foundation?

Why? Because Austin is a "hip" city. Because the apartment complex is sitting on a high mesa with a clear view to downtown Austin. Because those apartments are rented by students. Because said students have parents who can co-sign for their children none of whom could pass the $3000/month income requirement to be able to rent in that complex.

Just spackle the walls, change the carpets, paint the bricks. It looks new when you sign the contract.

So what's next? Probably the demolition ball next year, because the city council who was bought with money from Dallas developers has decided to change the classification of that land and intubate the environmentally sensitive creek running next to the complex (Mexican salamander habitat), and build a multi-million square foot, 5 storey plus complex of buildings over that whole area - with about 500  habitable units (of which about 10% will be "affordable" whatever that means) with a clear view of the downtown Austin area.

Can you say "expensive executive building?"

The expected increase in traffic around the intubated creek will be 500%. They will include two small parks with swings for the kiddies and reduce the green areas to 27% of the original area "with native plants." Immediately after the news were released, the rent per single bedroom apartment rose from $800 to $975 within a 5-mile radius of of that particular intersection.

Oh yes. The clincher.  The same cowboy boot-lapping city council has approved a new bus network system which will cost several millions to add a few bus routes, but will ELIMINATE all bus transport to that exact area I'm talking about, up to a 5 mile radius. two large avenues filled with medical offices, emergency clinics, 2 supermakets, about 3 churches and a synagogue, one highschool, a small commercial center, and about, oh, 10 apartment complexes WILL NOT HAVE ANY BUS SERVICE by the end of the year.

Why? "Low ridership." People in that area are expected to drive cars not ride buses.

Can you say "gentrification?"

The first thing you need to do is remove the services of the poor people in the area (buses), then you need to expel all the rabble, and condemn the existing buildings and replace them with high-value property which brings in more tax revenue. Make sure you use the highway to split the city. A rail road track runs along the highway as well. So literally you are defining the "right and wrong side of the tracks." Literally.

Way to go Austin! SCREW THE PEOPLE. Call yourself a "hipster," roll that $100 bill real tight, and insert it up your rectum, drive your Jaguar and go buy a $7 cup of coffee at Starbucks!

Then try to convince us that Austin is still "weird" and "cool," while politicians in the capitol work hard to push laws back to the way they were in the 1950's. HOW COOL ARE WE NOW AUSTIN?

*whew* Sorry for the rant....
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #561 on: May 16, 2017, 12:12:34 pm »

A friend used to live in a rented share house. The ceiling in his room sagged a foot in the centre. It was in awful condition. The only reason he put up with it was that he severely short-sighted, so he could never see it.

Sorontar

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #562 on: May 16, 2017, 07:49:29 pm »

we have pretty much zero public transport, no free clinics, and the cheapest double apartment you will find will either have heroine addicts, bed bugs, or both and cost you $780 per month each nothing included. The cheapest single with a communal bath (essentially a dorm room in a non-campus area, or crack house) was probably the one I looked at yesterday 600$ nothing included.

Keep in mind we live in an area where we had about 6 feet of snow and several nights below negative seven degrees F this winter. While summers can get into 95 degrees with humidity over 87%. So heat in winter and cooling in summer are a big part of costs. Utilities per month for a 3 person apartment (heat, hot water, electrical, internet) easily runs $350 a month, and for a single person unit you're probably talking around $210 a month.

But lets not forget that for 5 months out of the year snow plowing means you have to park off the street, which means parking garages a mile or two away from your apartment unless you find a place with off street parking (usually raises rent by about 50-100$. Parking fees for a years are insane, as are tickets for expired meters which they watch like hawks to catch as many people as they can. And remember no public transportation. If you want a job you have to have a dependable car and a liscence. Which brings car registration and inspection each year, which will run about $230

oh, and laundry, if you are looking for a place under the $1000/month rent you will be going to a coin op laundry. which will cost you about 7-10$ a load.

The pre-tax income of most middle and lower class people in this region is about 975$ per month.

All of this info is the situation not just for a five mile radius, but 35 mile radius.

Section 8 housing has a 4-6 year waiting list, and I've known people who got in... it's a miserable hell of drug dealing prostituting multi children apartments with noise 24/7, and once in you cannot earn too much or you are kicked out but too much is defined as so little you couldn't possibly afford anything outside of section 8. Basically it's an attempt to sweep up and hide in the attic anyone who isn't upper middle class or better.

This region has been Gentrified since before the Declaration of independence was signed.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #563 on: May 17, 2017, 02:40:42 am »

Rents in cities are high everywhere, in relation to income. The preferred ratio is 25%-35% of weekly income for rental. I don't live in cities anymore. Rent for a three bedroom house in a country town (depending on where you start defining 'country', and how small the town) can range anywhere from $500-$800 per calendar month.

Electricity, landline phone and water rates are extra. Owner pays the property rates. It is possible, even now, to pay a months rent in advance, bond, electricity & water & phone connection fees for under $2000. Standards for rental properties are monitored. Owners/utility suppliers have 24-48 hours to complete essential repairs. Yes, there are dodgy landlords and estate rental managers, and yes there are problems, including a marked shortage of public housing and affordable rental properties. And yes, there are some God-awful tenants, too. It's pretty much a lottery.

I rented houses/flats until I retired - the most I paid for anything was $150 per week, and that was for a three bedroom house, with yard, garage etc., and the least was $24 per week for a two room flat with kitchen, bathroom & loo - so I have been lucky that even when I was on a minimum income I could still keep a decent roof over my head.

Where I live now I own. Small, actually tiny, hamlet in the mountains - no public transport, nearest larger village 43km away, nearest large town/city conglomerate 70-80km away, so own transport is a necessity, not a luxury.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 02:42:41 am by Banfili » Logged
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #564 on: May 19, 2017, 02:27:44 am »

skipped a social event to night to go check a room out. The room was on the small side of tolerable but he had some massive queen sie bed taking up a third of it. I said I had my own smaller bed. "well the bed that's in here has to stay" um okay, maybe as a short term move until I get something figured out. In the kitchen, you are not allowed to turn the stove on past medium and there must always be something on the burner before it's turned on and before you turn it off because six inches above it is the microwave which will burn (seriously this is an idiotic design.), which is alright I have a large enough pan I can use to cover the whole burner... "Oh no there is no room in here for any pots or dishes, you have to share the ones that are already here." also don't use the microwave after 10pm because he'll hear it down the hall upstairs. Oh and the house is kept at 65F in winter, no space heaters allowed. There is a list of chores, you will be assigned some each week.

Thanks but no thanks. $500 month to be treated like some surrogate teenager to strange guy, pass.
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #565 on: May 20, 2017, 04:50:41 pm »

I could have the inland revenue (IRS?) crawling up my nether regions, probing for any potential issues or abnormalities soon, aah, just what I need atm. More sleepless nights ahead.............

Slightly on edge and screaming WTF more than I should be methinks. Gin, give me more Gin! Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 08:24:00 am by SeVeNeVeS » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #566 on: May 28, 2017, 08:13:40 am »

OMG! The stupidity of advertisement campaigns.

From the BBC: "Burger King ad angers real-life Belgian royal family"
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-40073285

On the ad website, if a user chooses "Burger King" no more prompts appear. But if they choose Philippe, they get asked twice whether they are sure. The ad, on whoistheking.be, asks those who choose Philippe: "Are you sure? He won't be the one to cook your fries (chips)." And on the second time the user chooses Philippe, the only option is "no".

This is really the most retarded campaign I have ever seen. No disrespect to King Burger I, Ruler of all Fat and Salt, but I never though he looked like a Belgian prince. He always appeared to me to resemble Holy Roman Emperor Charles V a/k/a Charles I of Spain.  Just my two royal fries on the subject.

Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #567 on: May 28, 2017, 11:12:13 am »

On the ad website, if a user chooses "Burger King" no more prompts appear. But if they choose Philippe, they get asked twice whether they are sure. The ad, on whoistheking.be, asks those who choose Philippe: "Are you sure? He won't be the one to cook your fries (chips)." And on the second time the user chooses Philippe, the only option is "no".

This is really the most retarded campaign I have ever seen. No disrespect to King Burger I, Ruler of all Fat and Salt, but I never though he looked like a Belgian prince. He always appeared to me to resemble Holy Roman Emperor Charles V a/k/a Charles I of Spain.  Just my two royal fries on the subject.

But in France is he a Royale with cheese...?

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #568 on: May 29, 2017, 01:44:40 am »

But in France is he a Royale with cheese...?

Royale Avec Fromage, to be more precise  Grin

Hungry Jack in the Antipodes used to be a subsidiary of Burger King, so I ignore what he'd be called down under. His Hungriness Emperor Jack I? Grin
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #569 on: May 29, 2017, 06:23:57 am »

Royale Avec Fromage, to be more precise  Grin

There has got to be a really sharp pun in that somewhere...
Synistor 303
Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #570 on: May 29, 2017, 07:37:22 am »

My WTF is the latest from the Australian Gen Ys and Millennials... Apparently they want their 'long service leave' to accrue because they never stay longer than a couple of years in a job, and "it isn't fair!". Yep, each time they leave a job they want their long service entitlement to be rolled over to their next job.

In case you don't know what long service leave is, it means if you stay with the same company for 15 years, you get 3 months paid leave. Still, if they bought it in, companies may suddenly find Gen Ys and Millennials just weren't suitable for the job if they had been working for 14 years...
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #571 on: June 07, 2017, 02:20:18 am »

there was a rubber band on the floor from goodness knows where, I picked it up and fiddled with it while talking to housemates, and then the toddler wanted to play with it. I supervised so he didn't do anything with it. Then took it and put it away.

Now my hands stink even after several washes, and I can taste the rubber even though it never got near my mouth. It's very unpleasant, and I don't know if being super aware of it is making my mouth, nose and eyes feel dry or if this is some kind of reaction. I'd image I'd have had some other reaction from things that contain rubber if it was a rubber allergy. No itchy hands or anything from playing with it, just the smell, taste, and dry eyes, nose and mouth.

Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #572 on: June 15, 2017, 03:01:46 am »

The ongoing fire in a London residential tower block, Grenfell Tower, has been burning for around 24Hours, and is still not yet out. Many people have died, but numbers will not be known for some time, though officially it stands at 12 so far - it may yet be a hundred or more.

How the hell does a tower block have a fire in ONE room of a single flat on the forth floor, and within 30 minutes it is burning all the way up to the 24th floor?!

This is shit that should not be.

To me, and from everything I have seen of the fire, it was spread by the newly installed exterior foam insulation beneath the new aluminium composite cladding that is to blame, and not so much the cladding itself as many people are focusing on. However the cladding is certainly playing a part in the fire due to being a polyethylene core - under high temperature it will flow like a thick wax and burns quite fiercely.

Somebody needs to face prosecution for this...

However there may be other issues involved with the fire, much of the footage I've seen had some unusually coloured flames evident in many of the flats - there was a lot of blue - white flames evident, the nature of which I'm unsure. Possibly magnesium or similar metal. A number of the residents who escaped and other witnesses have also mentioned seeing blue flames which they attributed to burning natural gas (there had recently been large gas main pipes installed in the stairwells, much to the disapprovement of the residents on safety grounds).

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #573 on: June 20, 2017, 09:07:30 pm »

I remember learning about this in college in Flight Dynamics, and Aircraft Design classes. But I never thought that I'd see it in the US.

Today, temperatures in Phoenix, Arizona are expected to be so high, 120 F/ 49 C, that dozens of airplane departures from the airport were cancelled.

As temperature rises, the atmosphere expands and the density of air decreases (because the atmosphere is not contained in a rigid vessel). The net result is that during takeoff wings on aircraft can't produce enough lift. The problem will affect the maximum lifting capacity of the airplane, and in extreme circumstances whether the plane can take off at all.

The same happens when an airplane tries to take off from a high altitude location, say Lima, Peru. We got taught to design an airplane for takeoff at the highest altitude possible and the hottest temperature at the location, that way the airplane can take off from any airport in the world.

Problem is, that design criterion is not enough. Phoenix, at a relatively low altitude has bested that baseline.  Today one of the largest airports in the country is partially paralyzed due to high temperatures...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40339730
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #574 on: June 21, 2017, 12:58:26 am »

They might still take off, if they had enough runway or enough power to get going fast enough, soon enough, to get airborne before the existing runway runs out - or if they could fly without a payload. Unfortunately, the combination of engines that powerful with enough fuel to do the job would be so heavy that they might still not be able to lift off. The weight, speed and air density problem is a rather frustrating and thorny one (there's a ring on E 6B pilot computing reckoners that deals with the  air density equation(s) in question).

C-47 pilots ferrying supplies and personnel between Japan and Korea during the Korean war faced a similar problem; conditions were borderline OK for getting airborne under normal weight  standards, but they were under pressure from the upper-echelon brass to carry as much materiel and personnel as possible each trip. The overloaded transports (usually) got airborne, but in many or most cases were unable to rise farther than a couple of hundred feet above the waves (and often were forced to fly much lower). A few, including the one that my Dad almost went back on at the end of his leave, didn't make it and crashed into the Sea. He got bumped off by an officer (Dad was a corporal), and stayed behind, taking the next "gooney bird" an hour later. Fortuitously, as it turned out...
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 01:00:10 am by MWBailey » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... 33   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: