The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 19, 2018, 10:40:54 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Things that make you go WTF? MkII  (Read 23784 times)
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #500 on: February 19, 2017, 08:13:22 pm »

So, whilst preparing some meals for next week, It appears after a nano second of distraction, I  did infact, without a doubt, deep fry my index finger by mistake in boiling oil Shocked .

OK, it smarts like a bugger now, ouch!, ouch!, ouch!, Ooooh! big swelly blister already! Should my finger be that swollen?!! Gaaaagh! WTF! and everything inbetween!

If this don't taste good, I'm gonna be really pissed off!....... Ouch!,  Ouch!...... Iced water.........Aaaaaaaaaaaaa!!  Roll Eyes
Impressively it doesn't seem to have affected your typing. Unless, of course, you did that with your stiff upper lip.

Hope it heals quickly.

Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #501 on: February 20, 2017, 04:24:39 am »

So, whilst preparing some meals for next week, It appears after a nano second of distraction, I  did infact, without a doubt, deep fry my index finger by mistake in boiling oil Shocked .

OK, it smarts like a bugger now, ouch!, ouch!, ouch!, Ooooh! big swelly blister already! Should my finger be that swollen?!! Gaaaagh! WTF! and everything inbetween!

If this don't taste good, I'm gonna be really pissed off!....... Ouch!,  Ouch!...... Iced water.........Aaaaaaaaaaaaa!!  Roll Eyes

Do take care of that. It just took one quick splash of oil while making pancakes to create a giant blister the size of a large marble or a Euro coin, in the webbing between the thumb and the index finger.

I opted to not open the blister for fear of infection. The blister lasted one week, and as I removed it after it opened I saw in horror that an alien looking web, resembling ultra sheer lace within the clear fluid had filled up the blister in those few days. Luckily after removing the blister, the webbing collapsed into nothingness, and peeled off revealing the smoothest whitest porcelain-like skin underneath that you have ever seen. The patch of skin fully regained colour in the few weeks afterwards and left absolutely no scar whatsoever. My gamble paid off, but it was scary.

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #502 on: February 20, 2017, 04:27:34 am »

Well, if you'd make it a painted-on kilt you could somehow argue that you are wearing some sort of weird looking sporran  Roll Eyes  Cheesy  Cheesy

Better to claim that Scottish Haggis are similar to kangaroos in that the young, called "Stiffies", are raised in a front pouch like a joey (baby Kangaroo) - and you just happen to be looking after a recently orphaned newborn. In Fact you could say you have been nursing a 'Stiffie' all day....

That should make things interesting, or at least make people keep their distance from you!  Grin

Grin
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #503 on: February 20, 2017, 12:17:38 pm »

So, whilst preparing some meals for next week, It appears after a nano second of distraction, I  did infact, without a doubt, deep fry my index finger by mistake in boiling oil Shocked .

If this don't taste good, I'm gonna be really pissed off!....... Ouch!,  Ouch!...... Iced water.........Aaaaaaaaaaaaa!!  Roll Eyes

Never use ice or iced water for burns. Cool running water is the way to go.

My WTF:

What the heck is the point of those semi-circular bits on boxes that say "Open here" if you friggin demolish the box because they're impossible to open using those semi-circular bits ?!

I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #504 on: February 20, 2017, 06:49:49 pm »

Impressively it doesn't seem to have affected your typing. Unless, of course, you did that with your stiff upper lip.

Hope it heals quickly.
6 and 1/2 good digits and 2 stubby thumbs. Umm, typing...... I'm pretty much a a single finger stabber at best and spend more time back spacing and correcting in the end.

Do take care of that. It just took one quick splash of oil while making pancakes to create a giant blister the size of a large marble or a Euro coin, in the webbing between the thumb and the index finger.

I opted to not open the blister for fear of infection. The blister lasted one week, and as I removed it after it opened I saw in horror that an alien looking web, resembling ultra sheer lace within the clear fluid had filled up the blister in those few days. Luckily after removing the blister, the webbing collapsed into nothingness, and peeled off revealing the smoothest whitest porcelain-like skin underneath that you have ever seen. The patch of skin fully regained colour in the few weeks afterwards and left absolutely no scar whatsoever. My gamble paid off, but it was scary.
Alot of seeping liquid, ich!

Never use ice or iced water for burns. Cool running water is the way to go.

My WTF:

What the heck is the point of those semi-circular bits on boxes that say "Open here" if you friggin demolish the box because they're impossible to open using those semi-circular bits ?!
Thanks for that advice, will keep in mind for the next time I'm a dopey pillock and try to fry my body parts.

On the upside, the Chinese Pancake Rolls are actually quite tasty.

Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #505 on: February 20, 2017, 07:18:54 pm »

Long Pork Pancake Rolls... maybe not. Lips sealed
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #506 on: February 25, 2017, 07:25:25 pm »

Long Pork Pancake Rolls... maybe not. Lips sealed

Fried finger food anyone? ...  Grin
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #507 on: February 25, 2017, 09:30:54 pm »

Obviously somebody is on the Santa Clarita Diet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjRnbOgoAUQ
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #508 on: March 06, 2017, 04:08:27 am »

Last month the external hard drive I use to boot Ubuntu went belly-up. (See GAAH!) On Thursday I went to my local branch of the big red office supply store an bought a new internal SATA drive spindle to replace it; when I got it home and open I discovered they do not include cables or mounting screws in the package. (Every PATA drive I ever bought included a ribbon cable and screws.)

Today I got back to the store to look for an installation kit and discovered that the chain that sells hard drives without cables or screws apparently does not sell the cables and screws needed to use the drives they sell. Huh

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #509 on: March 06, 2017, 05:54:27 am »

Last month the external hard drive I use to boot Ubuntu went belly-up. (See GAAH!) On Thursday I went to my local branch of the big red office supply store an bought a new internal SATA drive spindle to replace it; when I got it home and open I discovered they do not include cables or mounting screws in the package. (Every PATA drive I ever bought included a ribbon cable and screws.)

Today I got back to the store to look for an installation kit and discovered that the chain that sells hard drives without cables or screws apparently does not sell the cables and screws needed to use the drives they sell. Huh

PATA!? I trust you mean Parallel ATA and not Portland Area Theatre Alliance  Roll Eyes Maaan! When was the last time I saw one of those? Buying PATA drives happened a long time ago, Mr. Ultra DMA...   Grin
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #510 on: March 06, 2017, 06:32:28 pm »

... Buying PATA drives happened a long time ago, Mr. Ultra DMA...   Grin

UDMA?...  I've still got machines using PIO mode 1 & 2 access!

You can prise my Connor Peripherals 40Mb ATA with stepper motor driven head from my cold dead hands !!

(the 20mb is with the rest of them - in the bin with no lid on and a stack of coins and blu-tack on the head to get that one last read....) Grin

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #511 on: March 06, 2017, 09:25:39 pm »

... Buying PATA drives happened a long time ago, Mr. Ultra DMA...   Grin

UDMA?...  I've still got machines using PIO mode 1 & 2 access!

You can prise my Connor Peripherals 40Mb ATA with stepper motor driven head from my cold dead hands !!

(the 20mb is with the rest of them - in the bin with no lid on and a stack of coins and blu-tack on the head to get that one last read....) Grin

It's just like when I was at the University of Texas. Thanks to some arcane state laws, the university can't sell old equipment and they have to store obsolete equipment until all other Texas schools or government agencies have had a chance to look at it. The result is that the university is like a technology museum, with the latest side by side with the oldest technology.

I remember in 1994, using a dumb terminal to connect to a UNIX mainframe computer across the street, and then having to cross the street to get my printout from giant line printers, in scrolls of giant paper, hung from wire hangers like it was your dry cleaned suits! Sadly "bongo" the computer, was finally retired in 1995

The saddest thing was that engineering students used FORTRAN punch cards as bookmarks  Grin
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 11:16:18 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #512 on: March 06, 2017, 09:59:14 pm »

Aah, the good old days of continuous feed paper, slave terminals and 5.25" floppies! Our 'slaves' used to link to 'masters' in Canberra, over 3 hours drive away - fortunately, we had our own printers!!

I recall doing my first ever computer course (late 80s) on an Apple Apricot!
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #513 on: March 07, 2017, 10:49:02 am »

I still use a continuous feed paper printer (Epson LQ-850+)...  Grin Why replace something that ain't broken ?
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #514 on: March 07, 2017, 11:20:21 am »

Aah, the good old days of continuous feed paper, slave terminals and 5.25" floppies! Our 'slaves' used to link to 'masters' in Canberra, over 3 hours drive away - fortunately, we had our own printers!!

I recall doing my first ever computer course (late 80s) on an Apple Apricot!

My first computer course was around 1988, learning DOS and programming in FORTRAN using "IBM Compatibles" as we called them back then, with Intel 80286 processors  Grin and Windows 2.1. Cutting edge stuff!  Grin
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #515 on: March 08, 2017, 01:39:01 am »

My first computer was an IBM 5150, back in 1988 or so, running an unlicensed translation of CP/M by Iskra Računalniki, a local company that went under in the 1990s.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #516 on: March 13, 2017, 02:45:16 am »

WTF? The forum being so slow for 9 days
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #517 on: March 15, 2017, 05:04:13 pm »

An exercise in ridiculousness

$3 million Patriot missile used to bring down $200 civilian drone as part of a military exercise.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-39277940
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #518 on: March 18, 2017, 04:21:20 pm »

Man dies charging iPhone while in the bath

A man was electrocuted as he charged his mobile phone while in the bath, an inquest has heard.
Richard Bull, 32, died when his iPhone charger made contact with the water at his home in Ealing, west London.
A coroner ruled his death was accidental and plans to send a report to Apple about taking action to prevent future deaths.
Safety campaigners have warned about the dangers of charging mobiles near water following the inquest.

Mr Bull is believed to have plugged his charger into an extension cord from the hallway and rested it on his chest while using the phone, the Sun reports.
He suffered severe burns on his chest, arm and hand when the charger touched the water and died on 11 December, the newspaper said.

Assistant coroner Dr Sean Cummings, who conducted the inquest at West London Coroner's Court on Wednesday, is to write a prevention of future death report to send to Apple.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39307418

Annnnnnd THAT is the reason we have the "nanny state" telling us how to behave. Roll Eyes

FYI the UK has a 230 / 250 Volt mains system in the home. We also have a distinct lack of electrical sockets in the wet bathroom areas (except in some cases electric shaver sockets with a special two pin plug). There is a reason,  LEARN IT!
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #519 on: March 18, 2017, 05:14:53 pm »

Yep. That sounds like something a person named "Bull" would have done (ref. 1980s American TV sitcom named "Night Court") Grin

von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #520 on: March 18, 2017, 08:54:39 pm »

Yep. That sounds like something a person named "Bull" would have done (ref. 1980s American TV sitcom named "Night Court") Grin

Yeah, but Bull Shannon wouldn't have died, he would have merely complained about how much it tickled.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #521 on: March 18, 2017, 11:05:09 pm »

Nominee for a 'Darwin Award'?
Just what is it about not mixing electricity and water, especially in the bathroom that people just don't get - probably "It's only a phone, what harm can it do", forgetting that it's not the size of the appliance that matters!!
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #522 on: March 19, 2017, 08:51:03 am »

Yeah, but Bull Shannon wouldn't have died, he would have merely complained about how much it tickled.

I guess I'm showing my age, but I miss Night Court  Grin

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 09:04:33 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #523 on: March 19, 2017, 03:19:24 pm »

So the charger was plugged into an extension corn and then placed on his chest.
So the extension cord plug was resting on his chest?!
So maybe the mains voltage is the culprit?
Hello?

Next!

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #524 on: March 20, 2017, 12:07:07 am »

So the charger was plugged into an extension corn and then placed on his chest.
So the extension cord plug was resting on his chest?!
So maybe the mains voltage is the culprit?
Hello?

Next!

Well outside of the burns, I'm not a medical doctor, but I remember being told in highschool by a professor who was an electrical engineer, that regardless of the voltage, only 0.5 Amperes is enough to stop your heart.

Electricity is like a river. You have current intensity - that is the net number of electrons being pushed - which is analogous to how wide the river is (how much water).

And then there is Voltage, which is the potential for motion of the electrons, its like the height of a cascade or the speed attainable by the river.

You can have tens of thousands of volts pumped into you (e. g. a stun gun), and not stop your heart, but is the current (number of electrons), which will stop the heart.

Edit: So I've been thinking:

The actual intensity of a current (using DC values or RMS values for AC current), would depend on Irms = Vrms/R for AC current or IDC=VDC/R for DC current.

The tub of water reduces the resistance of current through your body greatly. So the Intensity of the current increases a lot when you are wet, because the resistance to the ground is much lower through your body than when you are dry not immersed in water - perhaps not as low as the copper "neutral" or "ground" wires in the extension cord, but still low enough to provide an alternative path to the electricity.

The idiot placed the transformer right on his chest. Right above his heart  Roll Eyes  Grin  

So would the intensity  IDC of the +-5V wires in the USB output been enough to provide the 0.5 A? Probably not. The maximum amperage from one of those wall USB chargers is about 1A. And the burns clearly indicate that a lot bigger current passed through the body. So this means probably the AC means current was the culprit. Irms = 0.7071*220V / R wet body >> 0.5 A.

However, if this were a 1A 12V rated power supply, I think THAT would have killed him as well (If you have worked on cars you have a feel for it  Grin) But it looks like the power cord was on his chest...
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 04:30:23 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: