The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
July 23, 2018, 12:43:06 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... 32   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Things that make you go WTF? MkII  (Read 32420 times)
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #475 on: January 31, 2017, 08:02:55 pm »

J.Wilhelm, I sincerely hope things go really well for you and your (hopefully) young lady. Smiley
Thank you. Let's see what happens.

You make it sound as though you are quite older than her and sound as though you think you are old.
Midlife crisis?
This usually happens around 40-45 so they say....and they're right!
If you're in your 30s, don't wait, and if you're older it's not time to quit!

Live it up now!!

It was not a 1/2 life crisis. More like a 1/3 life crisis induced by a most unusual and severe case of anxiety disorder since I was 1.5 years old through childhood and then grossly compounded during puberty.

I'm 48, though I like to think I look 15 years younger at least (according to my latest apprentice at the shop and younger to some probably vision challenged people  Grin ). I certainly behave much younger, as I've been an introvert most of my life. 

And when I tried at age 35 to put a stop to my crisis and introversion with professional help, my life decided to take a dump on my head and I lost another decade taking care of my grandfather and closing two businesses.

My challenges are more "unique" shall we say? I'm not your average man.  And finally at middle age I'm happy with not being an average Joe, but try as I may, I can't extend my lifespan. The finish line is now closer than the start line.

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #476 on: February 01, 2017, 01:11:46 am »

Perhaps I should explain. My WTF isn't down to being propositioned (I mean I KNOW people use tinder to arrange casual sex, and having these moments is something that can happen. And I say good luck to those people, but that's not what I'm after), so much as the sudden and abrupt segue from general small talk into immediately being propositioned (I had literally sent this woman 3 messages, two of which in essence said 'hi, how are you?') and my own profile (to my eyes) doesn't give any indication that I'm using the app for the purpose of arranging casual sex (believe me, I've seen the profiles of people who quite clearly are). It was also driven by the fact that the lady female woman in question continued to message me with details and requests obviously related to arranging to meet for casual sex even after I'd said 'thanks but no thanks, I'm not here for that'.

I mean if I'd sent her a message saying something like 'Nice tits. Can I have feel?' or a picture of my genitalia I'd have been prepared for that sort of response, but I don't think it's odd to consider adding that kind of offer onto the end of answering a question about your job is a bit extreme. I mean how would you feel if you walked up to a stranger in a bar or a party, introduced yourself and they responded with "Nice to meet you. Fancy a shag?"

See, that's the thing. For some people that's normal. Maybe I'm not normal (quite likely).

My 20-something y/o coworker at my job is of the kind of guy to have that kind of casual relationship. I wouldn't say fairly often, but say at least 4 people this year; either new girls he just met in Austin at a meeting (he's a hard core Harry Potter fan) or some friends from back home who just came to  visit (he comes from the state of New Mexico, where he studied at college and has family).

He seems to put great effort into organizing parties at his apartment, and inviting strangers to his place to meet new people.  Yet, he's very family oriented and has a very active relationship with his parents, siblings and extended family, so you'd think a nice kid actually who seems decent (and who is an extremely talented DIY/maker), but a bit liberal on the drinking and partying side. He's been known to be disappointed when the last casual relationship didn't lead to something deeper, so I know he cares about more than just sex.

I'm "shocked" a bit (not really that much) with how natural he thinks this casual sex lifestyle is. Doesn't detract anything from him as a human being though. Obviously a generational or perhaps a cultural gap between the two of us.

I've thought about pursuing a similar approach to relationships, but somehow that is so alien to me. Maybe because I come from a different time and culture. Maybe because I'm so shy and I stopped my anxiety disorder treatment . Ha! It's not like I have a low sex drive! I know that!

My psychologist, a decade ago, told me to "keep my mind open" to those types of encounters. She was hoping I'd learn from repetition to deal with different people the way a normal teenager/young man does, and learn to accept rejection by actually being rejected repeatedly - and thus conquer my fear of being hurt by the one I love (the basic kernel of my anxiety disorder and my fear of getting close to the opposite sex - stemming from being left by my mother as a baby - does that make sense? ). When the  whole world came on top of my head ten yrs ago, and I had to take care of another human being my life was no longer mine and all chance to normalize my sex/relationship development came to a halt.

So I'll never know of I'd would have liked to have casual relationships like that. That is a hypothetical for me. Maybe I will have a casual relationship. Who knows?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 01:05:33 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #477 on: February 01, 2017, 01:35:24 pm »

Ah, I see, and sorry if that came off poorly. It wasn't meant to discourage.
Many others think I am younger in looks, too, I certainly act younger (like 15 at times, HA!), but the age is slowly starting to catch up (I'm 47).
Of course at a certain time it seems as though age is not a factor nor, sometimes, should it be, within reason. Theres approx 5 years between my wife and I.

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #478 on: February 02, 2017, 12:44:53 am »

Many others think I am younger in looks, too, I certainly act younger (like 15 at times, HA!), but the age is slowly starting to catch up (I'm 47).
Of course at a certain time it seems as though age is not a factor nor, sometimes, should it be, within reason. Theres approx 5 years between my wife and I.

5 years is a drop in the bucket. Important only to 20-something year olds  IMHO. It makes sense, but only percentage wise, in terms of what stage of life you're on (teenager vs young adult, or middle age vs senior citizen, for example).  The difference between a 90 year old and a 95 year old is negligible -  and note it's perfectly possible for the 90 year old to die before the 95 year old!

However you may have noticed that in the USA, couples with age differences have been judged ever more harshly, say in the last, 2-3 decades or so.  That, as opposed to when I was growing up in the 80s and 70s in México City. It's definitely a cultural thing as well as a generational thing.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #479 on: February 02, 2017, 01:01:07 am »

*snip*

No worries no discouragement perceived!  Cheesy
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #480 on: February 02, 2017, 04:27:51 am »

....well, I was going on 21 when I first started going out with my future wife.
So, 5 years was a lot to some at that time, but we've been happily together since!
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #481 on: February 02, 2017, 06:37:27 am »

....well, I was going on 21 when I first started going out with my future wife.
So, 5 years was a lot to some at that time, but we've been happily together since!

Which is entirely commendable, by the way. Congratulations. It means you're doing something right.

*snip*
 I mean how would you feel if you walked up to a stranger in a bar or a party, introduced yourself and they responded with "Nice to meet you. Fancy a shag?"

Cheesy

Actually I think that is EXACTLY how my co-worker and sometimes my roommates go about it.

My co-worker, after meeting that Harry Potter fan girl for one night and going to a Harry Potter event - right after that is when they had their... "encounter." Then the bastard brags about it at work the next morning. "Oh! I'm so tired. We got back at 10 PM, but she didn't let me sleep until 4AM"  Roll Eyes And before that, when the TWO (not one) college girls came to visit from New Mexico, the next day and sporting a "hickey" on the neck he complained: "I loved having them overnight, but I hate the scratches they left on my back."  Cheesy  I'm not kidding. That's exactly what he said! To which I replied "I'm not too kind on people who brag."   Cheesy Cheesy

Granted my roomates are a musician and a bartender - so the rules are different for them - they are more liberal than most. They're in their 40s and neither of them shows any inclination whatsoever to ever getting married or even having a long time relationship; they're "40 going on 17" until their sex drive just stops due to old age, or smoke, if you know what I mean. My 20-something y/o co-worker on the other hand has expressed frustration at wanting to evolve his relationship with the Harry Potter girl to something more permanent. She shows no interest in him, however.

So yeah. It is exactly like that. "Hello. Fancy a shag?"

"No my name is not Randy. By I could be"
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 06:51:09 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #482 on: February 02, 2017, 10:31:29 am »

My younger brother and his then girl friend started going out when they were both 14. Married at 19 and still going strong - my brother was 56 just after Christmas! So it can work!
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #483 on: February 02, 2017, 12:07:53 pm »

I said, I have a website – Zovem.ru (to call someone). The poster with all manner of strange events. There are different: fans, freaks and concerts in libraries.
The project Amateur. I'm almost one. He is already 8 years old one (sometimes I'm very stubborn).

Have my website and "competitors". If I may say so. I compared them too small and insignificant. But still I hate them and seek to destroy 

But really I hate to project КудаГо. I hate long ago and even forgot why.
But today I decided to ask what and how. Found an interview with the owner. It turns out that he has poured $ 500,000. It calmed me down. It is difficult to compete Amateur draft with a bunch of money.
But I remembered why I hate them. He describes the idea of "their" project. This is almost a verbatim quote, with a description of my site from our home page. It is for this audacity, I hate them.

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #484 on: February 11, 2017, 05:53:12 pm »

Ouch!

Winds in Wyoming blow a two-trailer semi truck onto a patrol car.

http://www.bbc.com/news/video_and_audio/headlines/38940832
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #485 on: February 14, 2017, 08:16:26 pm »

So Disney has cut ties with the world's highest paid YouTube star PewDiePie over allegations of anti-Semitism.

This is because several videos he released over the past few months were found to contain Nazi references or anti-Semitic imagery. PewDiePie, whose real name is Felix Kjellberg, accepted the material was offensive, but said he did not support "any kind of hateful attitudes".
In one of the controversial videos, Mr Kjellberg paid two Indians through a crowd-sourcing website to hold up a sign which read "Death to all Jews".
In a response to the criticism, he said he was "trying to show how crazy the modern world is, specifically some of the services available online" and that people "would say anything for five dollars". In other videos he also showed swastikas drawn by a fan, played the Nazi Party anthem and did a brief Hitler salute - all of which he says was done as a joke. Roll Eyes

He has been associated with Disney via Maker Studios, a company with a network of YouTube stars, drawing several billions of views per month - generating vast income from advertising. The Swede is reported to have made $15m through YouTube in 2016.

Now the fact this twerp has done this is not the reason I go "WTF" - no, that 'wtf' is down to the simple fact that DISNEY of all companies is the one who has booted him out for "allegations of anti-Semitism"....   Roll Eyes 

From what I've heard, PewDiePie would have been in good company, because Walt Disney was allegedly a Nazi sympathiser and a hostile anti-Semite.

Oh the irony....  Grin

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #486 on: February 14, 2017, 09:24:02 pm »

because Walt Disney was allegedly a Nazi sympathiser and a hostile anti-Semite.

There's little enough 'allegedly' about it. The modern company execs generally try to keep it quiet as best they can, and usually downplay/gloss over it, but a huge number of people (including a lot of major business people) in the US (and tbf the UK as well, not to mention elsewhere) were Nazi sympathisers and anti-Semites (and in many cases they were quite open about it right up to, and in some cases even during the war).

OK, Walt Disney may not have had the relationship Henry Ford had with Hitler and Nazism, but he WAS one of several people in the US who had to rethink their political stance (at least in public) when the war came. So I don't think it's a case of 'allegedly was' so much as ' "allegedly" was'.

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #487 on: February 15, 2017, 08:28:02 am »

THIS WORLD. THIS F*^%ED WORLD WE LIVE IN MAKES ME GO WTF. If I was an alien visiting Earth, and I had watched all the news recently, I would definitely get aboard my ship and leave, warning others not to come close to this planet and advising them to allow this inferior race of humans to self destruct.
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #488 on: February 15, 2017, 01:32:45 pm »

...15m from YouTube...........!?!

or is that an...
alternative fact?
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #489 on: February 15, 2017, 04:05:10 pm »

...15m from YouTube...........!?!

or is that an...
alternative fact?

Very few on YT are willing to discuss their earnings from Google Ads, as there used to be strict rules not to discuss, or some kind of a Google imposed penalty if it was openly discussed, but that is not so much the case any more. However few if any who make over the $1M range are going to discuss their financial situation willingly. Big time earners will have accountants and financial advisers dealing with their money and telling them what to reveal or not.

But yeah - estimates of his earnings are around that value (based on known google ads payments per views etc).

Actually, that amount may be too low for his full income, as it may not factor in other side earnings from his content and merchandising revenue streams. Either way, he makes a shed-load of cash every year.
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #490 on: February 16, 2017, 04:55:46 am »

Phewy, gotta jump on that bandwagon before it's too late!
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #491 on: February 16, 2017, 08:12:25 am »

Damn, and I've been posting my loads of utter crap on here for free...    Shocked

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #492 on: February 17, 2017, 04:38:34 am »

Jeggings. Yes Jeggings, you know? Those leggings that are made to look like jeans, but are not and their pockets are fake - as in they just look like pockets from the outside.

To paraphrase a certain golden hirsute-headed person, "how sad."

Same goes for the hybrid sweater-blouses, the ones which made to look like there is a blouse under a sweater, but in reality it's just a bit more than a collar, and perhaps an illusory segment protruding at the bottom.

So what's next? "Pantsocks" pants which have fake sock attachments when in reality you're barefoot under your shoes? How about "Wighat"? Like the clowns wear.  You know a bowler hat with some colorful hair sticking out, so you can pretend to have neat hair, when in reality you are having a "bad hair day" or worse, you have no hair at all!!
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #493 on: February 18, 2017, 05:28:58 pm »

Jeggings. Yes Jeggings, you know? Those leggings that are made to look like jeans, but are not and their pockets are fake - as in they just look like pockets from the outside.

Same goes for the hybrid sweater-blouses, the ones which made to look like there is a blouse under a sweater, but in reality it's just a bit more than a collar, and perhaps an illusory segment protruding at the bottom.

So what's next? "Pantsocks" pants which have fake sock attachments when in reality you're barefoot under your shoes? How about "Wighat"? Like the clowns wear.  You know a bowler hat with some colorful hair sticking out, so you can pretend to have neat hair, when in reality you are having a "bad hair day" or worse, you have no hair at all!!

"restrains himself from posting a pic of painted-on jeans* I really don't understand why you're complaining.

From a fast-dressing angle, I can see the attraction of clothing that can be thrown on as as single piece, and still look like one is wearing a "respectable" number of clothing items. it'd also be quite a bit cooler (less hot in hot weather) than wearing all that layered cloth that one gets when one wears shirts-sweaters-socks etc. To each their own, I'd say.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 05:31:12 pm by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #494 on: February 18, 2017, 05:34:00 pm »

"restrains himself from posting a pic of painted-on jeans* I really don't understand why you're complaining.

From a fast-dressing angle, I can see the attraction of clothing that can be thrown on as as single piece, and still look like one is wearing a "respectable" number of clothing items. it'd also be quite a bit cooler (less hot in hot weather) than wearing all that layered cloth that one gets when one wears shirts-sweaters-socks etc. To each their own, I'd say.

Though in addendum I'll have to admit that such a getup in a Living History event or similar would most likely get one thrown out on one's ear, or at the very least engender a severe talking-to (and rightly so in both cases) from the event's leaders.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #495 on: February 19, 2017, 10:00:11 am »

So what's next? "Pantsocks" pants which have fake sock attachments when in reality you're barefoot under your shoes? How about "Wighat"? Like the clowns wear.  You know a bowler hat with some colorful hair sticking out, so you can pretend to have neat hair, when in reality you are having a "bad hair day" or worse, you have no hair at all!!

*snip*

It'll be a very sad day when I walk out of the house with painted-on pants   Cheesy  I do hope you didn't get arrested for indecency doing that  Grin
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #496 on: February 19, 2017, 10:03:35 am »

Well, if you'd make it a painted-on kilt you could somehow argue that you are wearing some sort of weird looking sporran  Roll Eyes  Cheesy  Cheesy
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #497 on: February 19, 2017, 01:22:07 pm »

Well, if you'd make it a painted-on kilt you could somehow argue that you are wearing some sort of weird looking sporran  Roll Eyes  Cheesy  Cheesy

Better to claim that Scottish Haggis are similar to kangaroos in that the young, called "Stiffies", are raised in a front pouch like a joey (baby Kangaroo) - and you just happen to be looking after a recently orphaned newborn. In Fact you could say you have been nursing a 'Stiffie' all day....

That should make things interesting, or at least make people keep their distance from you!  Grin
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #498 on: February 19, 2017, 01:33:34 pm »

SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #499 on: February 19, 2017, 03:04:39 pm »

So, whilst preparing some meals for next week, It appears after a nano second of distraction, I  did infact, without a doubt, deep fry my index finger by mistake in boiling oil Shocked .

OK, it smarts like a bugger now, ouch!, ouch!, ouch!, Ooooh! big swelly blister already! Should my finger be that swollen?!! Gaaaagh! WTF! and everything inbetween!

If this don't taste good, I'm gonna be really pissed off!....... Ouch!,  Ouch!...... Iced water.........Aaaaaaaaaaaaa!!  Roll Eyes
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... 32   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: