The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 24, 2017, 08:48:12 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GSN Steampunk'd  (Read 2657 times)
VampirateMace
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Mein Hexapod

« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2015, 03:42:39 am »

Well, I'm watching episode 3 now, and I have to agree that 2 was better then 1, so I have hopes that the drama will lessen, because they're making some cool stuff, but I don't care for the bickering and complaining. It's kind of a cultural thing here in the US though.

(I don't think I buy the 'accidently cut up a skirt' thing either)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 03:44:23 am by VampirateMace » Logged

Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2015, 04:00:05 am »

Heard today from a person at the art show I was at, how much they LOVED the GSN Steampunk'd show.

VampirateMace
Zeppelin Captain

Mein Hexapod

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2015, 05:17:07 am »

Hmm. . . time to spam etsy with some steampunk jewelry then?
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2015, 12:34:31 pm »

I was just on vacation and saw an episode in our hotel room.....sorry, it was horrible.
Stupid drama and lots of it. The Judges loving everything and saying this and that were fantastic, etc.

Too much crap, yes crap, thrown into builds just to try to make it interesting looking and not look good.

IMO the showings are fairly generic and not really professional or, at least, that's was I was expecting with forgetting that this is a TV show...maybe I'm just too over the throw some stuff at it to make it look good phase, maybe I'm predispositioned, maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2015, 12:39:25 pm »

Interesting to get your take.  I would really like to see it, just to be able to get a real feel for how steampunk is being portrayed.

Any additional input from those that have regular access?
Dr. Nikola
Officer

« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2015, 06:04:30 pm »

I've watched all four episodes and had an opportunity for a nice long talk with judge Thomas Willeford and would strongly encourage people to give this show a chance and to urge GSN to do a second season. 
I too dislike "reality" competition programs and do not watch any other than Steampunk'd.  But I'll put up with the drama and enforced situations to see some creative designs and young talent getting an opportunity to shine.  I was prepared to dislike the show and decided my cynicism was premature. 
I agree it got lots better after Episode 1.  Each challenge gives different makers an opportunity to strut their stuff; eg, episode 4 was mostly costume based, so gave the women designers more of an opportunity. (This was both Willeford's and my wife's favorite episode; I like Episode 2 "the villain's lair" best so far.)

Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain

https://rangerreid.wordpress.com/

« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2015, 02:11:54 am »

I remember when the movie "Batman" came out.  Everyone had pre-judged how Michael Keaton would do in the lead role, and so they hated it.

Those who didn't know his work came in with very set ideas of what they thought the movie would be, and hated it.

But.........  those who discovered it with no foreknowledge and said "Oh look!  Someone made a new Batman film!"  and took it at face value enjoyed it.

(Please understand this is all my own opinion, which is as strong and often wrong as the next guy)

In the great scheme of things, I am still learning Steampunk.   I knew who one of the judges was before the program aired, and had heard of none of the contestants.   Because I am still sort of new to this, I didn't mind that the show decided to make "theme rooms" the vessel to drive the artists creativity.  Some folks I heard review the show said they hated this because it didn't show off enough sewing.  Others wanted more mechanical devices.
Seems many are finding reasons to not like this show, and I am not, other than the annoying trend of "reality" shows to focus on the interpersonal drama and less on the creations.

But, that being said.........  I have enjoyed seeing the creativity realized so much that I have been able to happily ignore the silly side show drama.

I believe that if anyone puts aside their own biases, and simply watches the show to see the creations, it can be very entertaining, and inspiring.  I know I have seen some techniques employed that taught me something.   And I have seen some used that reminded me of stuff I used to know when I built props for theater.   I just hadn't thought of rediscovering those skills as a Steampunk maker.

Compared to the other silly trash on the idiot box, I don't mind this at all.

GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2015, 02:34:22 am »

New, from A&E:  18 Steampunks and Counting

New, from E!:  Steaming Up With the Babbagshians

New, from History:  Ice Dirigible Aeronauts

(But seriously, folks...)

I haven't seen the program in question, so I'll have to reserve judgement. However, I loathe shows where the emphasis is on the histrionics and less on the creative design. So, I'll just have to wait and see if the good outweighs the bad.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2015, 08:53:55 am »

Do you think an (illegal) download will be available?

"Crazy pseudo-scot living in a fantasy world"
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2015, 06:16:03 pm »

It seems like eventually everything makes its way to YouTube, if the copyright holders are "meh" on the subject.

So, yeah, that's what I'm waiting on, as well.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2015, 06:42:21 pm »

It seems like eventually everything makes its way to YouTube, if the copyright holders are "meh" on the subject.

So, yeah, that's what I'm waiting on, as well.

Likewise.  Will have the great advantage of skipping through the episodes as desired.
ZeroID
Gunner
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2015, 03:11:17 am »

'a reality tv show that actually offers a serious and in depth look at it's subject matter'
Thats an oxymoron... <sigh>
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2015, 12:16:22 pm »

'a reality tv show that actually offers a serious and in depth look at it's subject matter'
Thats an oxymoron... <sigh>

My first question is who are they trying to convince?

So by that metre, there is "GSN Steampunk" which is the proper stuff (because it's on the telly)
then there is the stuff we do which is like frogs mating in a pond; A bit wet, furtive, embarrassing and unsavoury to watch.

It is always refreshing to be told in no uncertain terms:

Ok I'm being a touch facetious here. But lets not dress something up to be something it's not eh?
The act of putting it in front of a camera renders it unreal. Learned that on the first day of the B-Tec Media Production course.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 12:20:59 pm by Clym Angus » Logged

Dr. Nikola
Officer

« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2015, 02:36:57 pm »

Watched Episode 5 last evening.  They were building steampunk nurseries, complete with cribs, mobiles, toys, and clothes.  Not my main interest, certainly,  but eye-opening to see what talented people could come up with in a short amount of time. 
Next week is a steampunk  bathroom with a nautical theme, which promises to be interesting.
I know there's lots of "reality tv" haters, myself included, but I'm overlooking that aspect and appreciating some public exposure for the ingenuity and hard work which goes into steampunk creations.

Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2015, 03:05:27 pm »

So good content on a bad genre. Did we not deserve better? Couldn't they just have scrap heap challenged this?

When will people realise the very, very simple premise; "Less is more."

Sorry I just find this so much Vietnam can kicking.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 03:12:12 pm by Clym Angus » Logged
Knight Walker
Gunner

« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2015, 03:24:38 pm »

I keep forgetting this is on. I'm watching Ghost Hunters, less drama.   Grin

A well place stick of dynamite solves all problems.
Dr. Nikola
Officer

« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2015, 03:44:03 pm »

....sigh....
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2015, 08:20:45 pm »

Thanks Dr Nikola.  Please keep the updates coming.
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2015, 09:58:12 am »

Thank you Maets, your candor is registered and appreciated.

I have nothing constructive to bring to this and I'm beginning to sound like a terminal bore. If you see the silver lining then honestly I envy you and I'm sorry I couldn't be more evenhanded. I'll get out of the thread before I'm carried out. Cheesy
Dr. Nikola
Officer

« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2015, 02:57:21 pm »

Episode 6, a steampunked bathroom, surprisingly produced one of the best rooms yet.  JW and Ave did a room that looked like it came out of a vintage submarine.  Steampunk Eddie's room was good as well, but not as awe-inspiring. 
Not much drama in this episode;  it's been down-played as I think the producers perhaps got to understand the underlying art a bit better; or perhaps they sensed the audience wants to see steampunk design and execution, not temper tantrums. 
Down to 4 competitors;  it's hard to see anyone but Eddie and JW as the final two.  They probably both prefer to work alone anyway, though they are far weaker on the clothing skills and will be hard-pressed if the final challenges have substantial costume requirements.
I would love to see a second season as I think GSN will improve on the format.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2015, 03:04:50 pm »

Sounds like it has been only rooms that they have been doing.  Is that it each week or are they making costumes and objects?
Dr. Nikola
Officer

« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2015, 03:14:39 pm »

The room is the basic challenge, but they are tasked with making appropriate costumes and equipment as well.  This gives the different team members a chance to shine in their own field.  With the nautical-theme bathroom, for example, one team came up with a spear gun (admittedly nothing I keep in the loo) and an Archimedes screw style pump to get water from a bucket into the tub.  They added portholes, complete with an illusion of moving water and fish outside.  Each made costumes as well.  Normally, the hostess dictates a few of the elements, but the team  is left to their own devices in coming up with a story line and how they'll execute the theme.
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2015, 04:50:49 pm »

I've managed to find a pretty reliable online source for this, updated as they air.

Typical gameshow format type thing with specific design challenges and eliminations etc, mainly based on room themes and costumes, gadgets found therein. Think Scrapheap challenge/ any room makeover series but with Steampunk as the style.

Kato is a judge  Roll Eyes

Watched 1-6 so far and can't say I warm to any of the contestants, all come across as arrogant  (sorry).

One bathroom in no6 is a great looking thing and I may be pinching some ideas for the home.

$100,00 is the prize, each weekly winning room is transfered to the studio Steampunk Mansion, will keep watching but give an overall 6/10 so far...........

Dr. Nikola
Officer

« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2015, 03:02:17 pm »

Last evening's challenge for the four remaining builders was to build a post-apocalyptic vehicle, a garage for it, and a costume for its rider. We preferred Eddie's converted jet-ski to JW's ATV, but for once the judges had the audacity not to agree with my wife or me.  Cheesy 
Glenn Hetrick, who is a judge for "Face-Off", a special effects/makeup contest, was an enthusiastic special guest judge.
Ave was eliminated, which has seemed inevitable for some time now, leaving just Eddie, Miss Morgan, and JW.  Morgan was certainly the most gifted costume designer from the start, but whether she can design and build a room or mechanisms seems doubtful, as she has not undertaken these tasks previously.  JW and Eddie are pretty evenly matched in impressive maker skills, though Eddie appears to have learned something about sewing and costume design which may help him on that aspect of whatever they are called upon to do in the final next week.
I continue to believe a second season would be even better and will urge GSN to bring the show back.  Actually, if they dropped the competition aspect and concentrated on makers and their techniques, it would be fantastic, though it wouldn't be a game show anymore would it?

Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2015, 03:25:04 pm »

Thanks again for keeping us informed.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: