The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 17, 2017, 07:20:14 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk is dead?  (Read 11837 times)
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« on: July 10, 2015, 11:40:25 am »

I asked some opinions on steampunk... here's some:

The steampunk fandom tends to showcase some forms of elitism for doing stupid things like using old english and stuff like that
Steampunk is an aesthetic that looks neat but was ruined by hordes of neckbeards overusing it and making it awful.
I was told Steampunk is the next stage after furry when you get old.
As much as I love late 19th century aesthetics, I've reached the point where I can't say "steampunk" without making a little sneery face of disgust. Any actual attempts at a good steampunk aesthetic are completely drowned out by HURR LETS HOT GLUE OLD WATCH PARTS TO A TOP HAT AND PUT THE WORD "COG" INTO THE NAME OF EVERYTHING faggots. Also, every time period before roughly 1910 is completely interchangeable when it comes to fashion, apparently, and national/regional differences don't exist.

Steampunk is dead, and should be allowed to remain as such.

what do you think?
are these people(that I won't name for their sake) right?

"Crazy pseudo-scot living in a fantasy world"
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 12:00:01 pm »

The three first seem to be nothing more than haters banters and the last one just a reflect of issue we have since the dawn of time.

Again, i might not be completely objective.

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 12:38:35 pm »

You've been on faceplant again haven't you? I've told you before no good will come of it. Cheesy

I think all these people have exceptionally valid points. I'm going to immediately burn all my Steampunk items and dress exclusively in Kappa tracksuits and trakkies from this moment until the time of my death. I can't thank these insightful friends enough for teaching me the short sighted folly of my ways and setting me upon the path of enlightenment. I suggest we all do the same, shut down the site and never speak of this shameful episode in our lives. Ever. Again.

You can't troll irony. It's physically impossible. 

Steampunk is dead? : Well I'm feeling a little peaky, but that has more to do with selling chainmaille instrument straps to rock stars. They do enjoy clinching a deal over a beverage. Couple of alka seltzer and I'll be a right as rain. So, dented but certainly not dead. Dear me no.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 12:49:27 pm by Clym Angus » Logged

Dr Fidelius
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Professor of Applied Paleontology, Miskatonic U.

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 06:40:27 pm »

What's the point of being an popular movement if we just allow anyone to join in??? Even people who are not as refined, intelligent, creative, or classy as we are?

Of course Steampunk is dead. The community of 2009 would not recognize the community of 2015. It is also continuously being reinvented. Whether it is improving or just cycling is totally a matter of opinion.

That being said, I don't give a wet slap from a halibut whether "Steampunk" is dead, alive, or idling. I was wearing tweed and telling stupid jokes about Wellsian Martians before I ever heard of "Steampunk" as a movement and I expect to continue to do so well past the abandonment of plastic goggles by all the cool kids. (The great mainstream breakout is still delayed.)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 06:46:42 pm by Dr Fidelius » Logged

The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 07:38:12 pm »

I wonder how much of their opinions on steampunk were based on how the over saturation and subsequent commercialization hit and people at cons who can be either cringe worthy and over enthusiastic or utter asses. I will admit there are some people who just want to lord things over others or act out fantasies of wealth and power and as annoying as they can be I dont realy blame them. Everyone wants to be special and a big fish but few have that outlet in their everyday lives.  But in the end if you are in to anything just to have your ego stroked you are most likely in it for the wrong reasons.

As for elitism I am sure there is some but I haven't seen much. Any movement or hobby has their own set of holier than thous and as long as you don't let them they wont bother you for the most part.  And yes the Victorian age was horrible if you weren't wealthy.  Horrible things happened to the working class there was abuse of the poor but that doesn't make someone that loves the light hearted adventure aspect of steampunk either ignorant of the past or some how condoning those aspects any more than someone going to a renfare wants to make people serfs.

If people want to say steampunk is dead they can.  I doubt the seen is loosing much by not being graced by their presence.  There will be waves and bandwagoners but it doesn't matter much(well except for some excellent bargains when the wave crashes.)  If you want to see decline you will but what I see is a ton of new steampunk flavoured things every time I go to the book store and bits of the aesthetic creeping in all over.  It may not be the same steampunk I discovered back in 2007 but nothing living realy stays the same.  We have a shallow end of gears and goggels that people can dip a toe into and that is as far as many get but I say the water's fine and the best sights are in the depths.  So dive as deep as you please and know that not everyone will like what you do but they are inconsequential little drops in a vast ocean of ideas easily forgotten on your journey.

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 07:49:06 pm »

I have been unpopular before. It is a stigma that holds no fear for me. If I am following a dead thing, wasting my life, worthy only of dismissal by the Zeitgeist people that hunger incessantly for the next big thing. Then that is fine.

Go... Go.... I have work to do that doesn't involve pandering.

I feel this thread needs calm. I want you all to put this piece of music on, shut your eyes and imagine your at the helm of your airship. Drifting effortlessly through the clouds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsShRmkR7BU
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 07:51:24 pm by Clym Angus » Logged
selectedgrub
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 09:06:29 pm »

I read that on the interweb so It must be true.
Opinions are like arseholes.
Everyones got one.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 09:25:45 pm »

Well we know how serious accusations can be agains Steampunk. Ninety nine percent of tge time they are based on complete ignorance about the subject.  Numi Prasarn, anyone?

I was told Steampunk is the next stage after furry when you get old.

This one made me chuckle.  But it can't be true because I thought it was the Goths who dropped the black and discovered brown...

Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015, 09:40:32 pm »

It may be worth mentioning the person that said that was in fact a furry.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2015, 10:11:50 pm »

The steampunk is dead.  Long live the steampunk.

Dr Fidelius
Zeppelin Admiral

Professor of Applied Paleontology, Miskatonic U.

Re:
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2015, 10:28:34 pm »

If you meet the Steampunk on the road, kill him.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2015, 10:52:07 pm »

Saying Steampunk is dead is like saying mystery novels or vampire novels are dead...
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2015, 11:03:57 pm »

If it is dead, it won't be for long — there's too many sparks & madboys around here looking for a fresh corpse to reanimate.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2015, 12:00:02 am »

I hope it never dies. Let's pray to Our Lady of Conductivity

http://silvergrey.deviantart.com/art/Our-Lady-of-Conductivity-78372418
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2015, 12:21:03 am »

Dr. Fidelius is quite correct.  'A rose by any other name . . .'  'Steampunk' is a term that has been applied to certain persons who have all their lives followed a certain leaning that causes them to recognize one another by certain affinities as belonging to a lost/never-existed/future world of the imagination and to express it in their style.  The terms do not define the thing itself, just attempt to describe it!

Kenneth: 'If you're so hot, you can tell me how to say she has ideas above her station.'
Brian:'Oh yes, I forgot. It's fairly easy, old boy.
Elle a des idees au-dessus de sa gare.'
Kenneth: 'Idiot.  It's not that kind of station.'

Terence Rattigan 'French Without Tears.'
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2015, 12:41:23 am »

Lordy, has it been that long... Around 1989 I first heard the term (well, give or take a couple or three years) "steampunk." almost every year since then, a bunch of people (it varies year by year, but it's almost always somebody overwhelmed by their own hubris and self-absorbtion) who'd managed to delude themselves into believing they represent some snooty-assed consensus on the internet has decided to come out and pronounce Steampunk as being "dead."

The first three look very much like the bunch that were posting about same on Myspace (remember the utterly regrettable Myspace.com? bleagghh...) back around 2008 or so - right before SP took off yet again (it was thereabouts or '09 that I joined BG, I can't really remember - don't go by the member list, I deleted and then returned a couple times).

The third sounds eerily like a conversation that I had with a kid about a year ago who was completely flabbergasted that to be a part of "maker culture" (a term that has always bothered me somewhat), he really ought to actually make something for himself, and was disgusted that ebay was selling coggy glue-ups as Steampunk (he was like many kids these days, who, as Vampiroteuthis Infernalis is/was fond of saying, think -to paraphrase- 'that rebellion is something they can buy at the mall.'); too, like a lot of relative newbies I encounter on the street, he thought his Steampunk was the only REAL Steampunk, and so the rest of steampunk was beneath him, yadda yadda yadda ad nauseum. Kind an apple turnover of the old "Steampunk is what YOU make it" that I personally prefer- or perhaps an inevitable misinterpretation thereof...

So... I'd take all of that with a gigantic grain of salt. Doc Fidelius is right, nobody from 07 or thereabouts would recognize much of the current BG population, and of the greater '89 worldwide crowd even fewer are now around who'd recognize the "evolved" -for lack of a better term- form of steampunk.

So do what you think is steampunk - but let the rest of us be right once in a while too, I suppose is what I'm saying.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 12:46:37 am by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2015, 02:31:46 am »

The though ocurrs to me that a perfect response is to remind critics that Steampunk is an idea, first and foremost. A state of mind. Like other genres, such as Cyberpunk, Horror and Mystery, it never goes away.  Once an idea has been generated it cannot die. 

Likewise, I'd like to bash the heads of those who'd say that any mystery written after Agatha Christie is "Post-mystery," any dystopic sci Fi after Blade Runner is "Post-Cyberpunk" and any punk style music after 1980 is "Post Punk. These are the same idiots saying Steampunk is dead.

There is no such thing as Post Punk, Post Mystery and Post Cyberpunk.  No one can stop you from writing punk music, cyberpunk novels or mystery novels.  Ideas just don't die like that, any more than Classical music has "died."
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2015, 03:45:35 am »

I say lets get the hot glue gun and hunt him down !!
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2015, 03:49:58 am »

The three first seem to be nothing more than haters banters and the last one just a reflect of issue we have since the dawn of time.

Again, i might not be completely objective.

The third quote seems more confused than hateful but otherwise I agree completely.
Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain

https://rangerreid.wordpress.com/

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2015, 04:11:07 am »

Sigh.....   I just got here and it's over?Huh?

This is disappointing......

Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2015, 04:14:39 am »

Yes, but that is what time machines are for!
Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain

https://rangerreid.wordpress.com/

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2015, 04:20:55 am »

Yes, but that is what time machines are for!

Except we have to turn them all in now that it's over........
Aubreay Fallowfield
Snr. Officer

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2015, 04:39:18 am »

faggots

The last one tells me a little more than I care for!!!  Angry
NOT IMPRESSED

Tis' bona to vada your dolly old eke.
pakled
Zeppelin Captain

Minions Local 305, at your thervice!

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2015, 05:19:51 am »

why no. The Confederacy is dead, too, and they only took the flags down this week...Wink Steampunk will be dead when the steampunks say it is.
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2015, 11:22:18 am »

Wassat? - Steampunk is dead?!...

Oh.

OK then, I'll get back to doing something worthwhile then. Probably involving lot's of Apple electronics, a 'man bag', and a suitable yet impeccably trimmed unkempt look to my no.2 shaved head and 3 day unshaven face beard. Ooh and a black polo neck!

Then I can get really serious about my audio listening - OFC copper and valves all the way! Only when I can hear the music through gold plated optical patch cables, will I then be ready and worthy to form an opinion of that music, and therefore the artist's personal life!

Then I must take my newly found opinions of other peoples personal lives, and inform the populous at large of where and why they are doing it incorrectly. To the internet!
I shall show my socially applied uniqueness by shunning forums (because they are just so dead) and apply my talents to Facebook, where I will truly stand out from the crowd, as they all agree with my unique and informative take on the world and it's media. My use of Facebook only proves to all that I am a unique individual - just like the other 1.44 billion Facebook users....

Well, goodbye. Could the last to leave turn off the lights, ta! Wink

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: