The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 22, 2017, 11:02:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dear Guest, Visitor, Lurker, Steampunk Curious  (Read 2033 times)
Maets
Immortal
United States United States

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2016, 08:35:09 pm »

Please stay around and post pictures of your outfit and anything else that suits you.

wolfmanyoda
Deck Hand

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2016, 01:58:10 am »

There we go, you can see my pic to the left now.
I made that for the last comic convention, told everyone I was Dr. Jekyll. Had so much fun that I want to try a little harder this time around, maybe come up with a nice backstory and whatnot. Will end up re-using some of that costume.
Dr.B.Goodall
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Be Good All! ;)

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2016, 08:27:42 pm »

Just stick with it wolfmanyoda, I'm sure you'll be fine and have fun Wink

No matter what you choose to do as a hobby / lifestyle, there are ALWAYS people that will tell you that you are doing something wrong (a.k.a. "The Haters").  Or, some people will just try to point out any flaw they feel is valid, in anything that you have done (a.k.a "The Trolls").  Ignore therm both ... with prejudice!

The only people to listen to are those that give you CONSTRUCTIVE criticism.   They may not like what you have done, or how you have done it, but ... they will appreciate the work that's gone into it, and offer advice on how to improve it / develop it further.  I have a simple rule for the forums I run / have run / been a member of in the past ... Don't reply unless you (I) have something constructive and/or supportive to add ... and I have encouraged other members to follow suit, banning those that just offer negative views. Wink

Meanwhile, going back on topic...

I suppose I'm a "Lurker" for the time being, as I'm new to Steampunk, so I'm doing a lot of reading on here just to get myself "in sync" with the whole Steampunk ethos.  I'll only post where I think I can help, based on my past and current skills (and what I'm learning at the time).
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 08:34:22 pm by Dr.B.Goodall » Logged

"People call me a "Doctor", but only for my skills.  I know nothing of healing the flesh.  Metal, steam, and what I discover in the wastelands are the tools and techniques for my creations in the new world." - Dr.B.Goodall, Wasteland Explorer
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2016, 06:46:44 am »

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen.
A steampunk artist?

I remember seeing one at a Steampunk photo shoot in Valencia, Spain-  An artist's smock, satchel for paints, brushes and paper, a portfolio full of his works and a bandolier full of oddments. He would sit down occasionally and sketch something.

At a Steampunk picnic last summer a talented illustrator simply came magnificently dressed and did pencil and watercolour sketches of people who asked (and paid for) little portraits of themselves. By the by, she was kept busy and made a tidy sum of money, to boot.

I reckon a steampunk artist would be a perfect character to have about an event!

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily

wolfmanyoda
Deck Hand

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2016, 01:36:45 pm »

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen.
A steampunk artist?

I remember seeing one at a Steampunk photo shoot in Valencia, Spain-  An artist's smock, satchel for paints, brushes and paper, a portfolio full of his works and a bandolier full of oddments. He would sit down occasionally and sketch something.

At a Steampunk picnic last summer a talented illustrator simply came magnificently dressed and did pencil and watercolour sketches of people who asked (and paid for) little portraits of themselves. By the by, she was kept busy and made a tidy sum of money, to boot.

I reckon a steampunk artist would be a perfect character to have about an event!

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily

That's exactly what I'm thinking! Well, except the part about actually sketching people. I've never gotten the hang of that. But with a year to practice before the next con just maybe...
I've been working on a piece to fit on my thigh that will hold small jars of paint or powders and I was thinking up a forearm piece to hold pencils and brushes and even a small palette.

I could throw a tube of paper across my back...didn't think of a small easel. Mine is actually pretty tall but I could easily make a shorter one.

Thanks for the comments.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2016, 04:06:26 pm »

That's exactly what I'm thinking! Well, except the part about actually sketching people. I've never gotten the hang of that. But with a year to practice before the next con just maybe...

I think Professor Cecily may have a point; even though it wouldn't be asked of other 'characters' I think a steampunk artist would get a lot of requests for drawings.  Perhaps if you had a portfolio on display about your person they could see if they liked your style - maybe use your hat as a gallery?

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
wolfmanyoda
Deck Hand

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2016, 05:20:29 pm »

A hat gallery, eh? What an interesting proposal, thank you for that.
I'll have to process that idea for a bit, see if I can come up with a practical application of it.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: