The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 17, 2017, 01:31:54 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dear Guest, Visitor, Lurker, Steampunk Curious  (Read 2091 times)
Maets
Immortal
United States United States

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« on: July 10, 2015, 03:01:33 am »

Welcome to Brass Goggles.  A forum of and for people from around the globe interested in Steampunk and related topics. 

If you are reading this you may already be a Brass Goggles member.  Then again you may just be stampunk curious, a guest, a visitor or a lurker.  Why not sign up and join the fun.

If you have just signed up or recently did, what are you looking for in a Steampunk forum?
What would make you would make you want to stick around a contribute?

Don't be shy.  Join in.

Looking forward to meeting you here online at Brass Goggles!

Taran
Swab

Canada Canada

Gravatar

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 05:45:05 am »

What would make you you want to stick around a contribute?

Detailed specs on how to build a complete working life-sized ornithopter from macaroni and Popsicle sticks would be a start.

Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

09madasafish
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 09:14:32 am »

Detailed specs on how to build a complete working life-sized ornithopter from macaroni and Popsicle sticks would be a start.

We do have some, although I'm not sure how much use they'd be. The middle section was eaten by a flock of marauding dodos (don't worry you'll get used to them shambling about the place after a while) when they got put down for five minutes once. And what's left are covered in tea and gin stains, mug rings, greasy fingerprints and blood splatter. About that's legible is the parts list.

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 11:33:20 am »

I joined mainly hoping to find some light hearted fun, hand in hand with more serious discussions.
I found just that, so that's good...I'm only active on two forums in total, so I don't have much to compare...
I /am/ enjoying  myself on here.

"Crazy pseudo-scot living in a fantasy world"
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 02:10:24 pm »

Ooooo, this ones a keeper. I like him!

selectedgrub
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 10:58:37 pm »

Lurkers are cool.
They are the ones that look at my stuff.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2015, 01:59:48 am »

Guess that makes me a lurker, then... (lol)

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Quin
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

Not mad, just a little odd...

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2015, 07:26:01 am »

... About that's legible is the parts list.

Does it just say "Popsicle sticks, macaroni, glue, one oscillation overthruster, lots of intestinal fortitude."?

In answer to the original question, I was a lurker here for a short while -- and I confess to still being a lurker on a few other forums even after years -- but I chose not to be so passive in this instance because I want a place where I can brainstorm with/bounce ideas off others, and maybe even show off a bit (because as many of you probably know, when you wax enthusiastic about wunderkammer and clockwork gizmos with non-steampunk folk, they tend to stop asking about your hobbies).  Even the showing off is of course not strictly about showing off as it can in turn provide inspiration, and allows others to proffer their suggestions for tweaking/improving/changes for the next version/etc.

It's taken so long to finally find an interest I can feel enthusiastic about (not just steampunk, but the makers movement as well) that I want to feel like I'm a part of it.  The internet is such a valuable resource when learning in relative isolation.  I just wish I had these resources 20 years ago.  

Hmmm, can I add a request for plans for a working chrono-reversal machine made from clock parts and silicone putty?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 07:27:56 am by Quin » Logged
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2015, 01:42:52 pm »

The clock parts are easy, but silicon putty ... difficult.
Would gutta percha be a satisfactory substitute?
Madasasteamfish
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2015, 09:59:40 pm »

Not really, I tried the same substitution once and the result now lives in my cellar, I'm not sure if I'll ever dare release it.
selectedgrub
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2015, 08:29:12 am »

Cheesy.
Thanks. But I'm getting a bit tired just sharing with the lurkers.

von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2015, 08:33:30 am »

Cheesy.

Don't think of them as "lurkers." Think of them as "speechless." Wink

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Quin
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

Not mad, just a little odd...

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2015, 09:31:26 am »

Thank you!  I've been trying to remember this name since Wednesday's pub quiz.  Now that brain cell can relax.
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2015, 05:48:24 am »

Cheesy.

I am sorry.... I do not want you to feel unappreciated!

I love you grub.
In the abstract .

please continue to post your amazing creations fashioned from the oddest uncommon items!

yhs
prof marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2015, 07:17:20 am »

Only if you're local to the Great Lakes percha fisheries, as stale percha guttas tend to explode.
Madasasteamfish
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2016, 11:09:54 pm »

Come on you lot, we know you're out there.... Wink

We're all a decent friendly bunch here, and we don't bite (unless you ask us to, VERY nicely). I'll put the kettle on and make some tea shall I? Unless you'd prefer something stronger...

But seriously, if you've taken the time to register an account and have been nosing around long enough to move up to Deck Hand, you've probably found something to interest you, so why not post a reply, even if it is just 'nice job. I like it.', or join in one of the games in Off Topic?
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2016, 07:07:21 pm »

I 'observed' for a while before I joined, just to see what the forum was like.
And I like BG because it is CIVILISED as well as interesting, friendly and fun.
Oh yes, and the page backgrounds are brown.
And tan.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2016, 09:53:32 pm »

Not really, I tried the same substitution once and the result now lives in my cellar, I'm not sure if I'll ever dare release it.

Good thing you live in the U. K.  If you lived in the U. S. of A., you might find that it was registered to vote in Chicago...

"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."
Madasasteamfish
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2016, 10:25:34 pm »

Good thing you live in the U. K.  If you lived in the U. S. of A., you might find that it was registered to vote in Chicago...

Well to be quite honest, given the noises it's been making recently I have a growing certainty that someone created Donald Trump in the exact same manner.
Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2016, 01:25:19 am »

Well to be quite honest, given the noises it's been making recently I have a growing certainty that someone created Donald Trump in the exact same manner.

Well, please don't make any more!  We have enough over here!
wolfmanyoda
Deck Hand

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2016, 03:09:50 pm »

I came here because of a google fail on my part.
You see, there's an upcoming convention and I thought I'd go Steampunk but I don't want to be an engineer, airship pilot, or any of the more well-known professions. I was thinking a Steampunk artist, as in a dude in the Steampunk world who paints airships sailing into the sunset or portraits of famous engineers. Every world needs art in it and someone to make that art.

The problem is that, while I do have a few ideas, I was hoping to find some images online of Steampunk artists but no matter how I try to phrase "steampunk" and "artist" into google images I end up with steampunk art...not exactly what I'm looking for. Surely I can't be the first to come up with this, there little to no more original ideas.

So I guess I'm looking to see if anyone has seen a Steampunk artist our there and secondly, is this even a good idea? This is a general comic convention I'm going to but it has plenty of  Steampunkers(is that even a word? Steampunks?) every year and while everyone seems very nice on this website the real world is quite different. Should I expect to run into snobs who tell me "that's not Steampunk,  you're a waste of oxygen"?

morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2016, 03:46:05 pm »

I came here because of a google fail on my part.
You see, there's an upcoming convention and I thought I'd go Steampunk but I don't want to be an engineer, airship pilot, or any of the more well-known professions. I was thinking a Steampunk artist, as in a dude in the Steampunk world who paints airships sailing into the sunset or portraits of famous engineers. Every world needs art in it and someone to make that art.

The problem is that, while I do have a few ideas, I was hoping to find some images online of Steampunk artists but no matter how I try to phrase "steampunk" and "artist" into google images I end up with steampunk art...not exactly what I'm looking for. Surely I can't be the first to come up with this, there little to no more original ideas.

So I guess I'm looking to see if anyone has seen a Steampunk artist our there and secondly, is this even a good idea? This is a general comic convention I'm going to but it has plenty of  Steampunkers(is that even a word? Steampunks?) every year and while everyone seems very nice on this website the real world is quite different. Should I expect to run into snobs who tell me "that's not Steampunk,  you're a waste of oxygen"?

You can take a chance to do it:

It would probably be funny. Dress like Oscar Wilde. To come to the festival of steampunkers. And start to preach..... Not the gears in the happiness. The world is in decline. Mechanisms while you're wasting your life. Life is short and we must enjoy. And all of that.

This idea came here - http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,47676.msg965102.html . I'm sorry that there are a lot of unknown. Translator.

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
Madasasteamfish
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2016, 04:01:24 pm »

Surely I can't be the first to come up with this, there little to no more original ideas.

Ah, alack and alas you're not (but it's still fairly original). An artist friend was rocking this particular look at last year's asylum (although it was more along the lines of 'standard 'vicwardian' with a few paintbrushes stuck into the brim of their boater). But I'm sure you could rig something up with a portable easel and (brass) paintbox.

This is a general comic convention I'm going to but it has plenty of  Steampunkers(is that even a word? Steampunks?) every year and while everyone seems very nice on this website the real world is quite different. Should I expect to run into snobs who tell me "that's not Steampunk,  you're a waste of oxygen"?

Really it depends on the crowd/individual. I personally haven't heard any comments like that from attendees of Steampunk gatherings here in the UK but that may be down to the involvement of the VSS and their rule of;

"BE SPLENDID!"
Unfortunately, there are people out there who do have a stick up their a*se about what is and isn't 'Steampunk' and so will criticise others and make that kind of comment. However, they're becoming increasingly rare and although (to my knowledge) they're not outright banned or otherwise prevented from engaging with anyone/anything in the community (except in extreme cases), they certainly aren't made welcome, and so tend to willingly remove themselves from anyone and anywhere that doesn't meet their "standards" and the wider SP community.
wolfmanyoda
Deck Hand

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2016, 06:46:24 pm »

Thank you kind people, I shall make a go of it  Smiley
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2016, 07:18:35 pm »

Thank you kind people, I shall make a go of it  Smiley

welcome on board