The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 08:10:36 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steam MMOG...?  (Read 12529 times)
5tephe
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2007, 02:18:58 am »

stiletto, Aetherscapist, ProfDelphiniusTucker, Mr Fats, RPFolkers- Welcome and thank you for your offers of assistance. Gratefully accepted.

Tell you what, if anyone wants to help, send me a PM with an email that you check attached (I will be INCREDIBLY respectful and careful with them). I will set up a web-based project location for it, and we can start work-shopping in earnest.

<em>One is all for religion until one visits a really religious country. Then, one is all for drains, machinery and a minimum wage.</em>
-Aldous Huxley
Eraamion
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2007, 07:21:42 pm »

Hehe, speaking of shameless plugs, you might want to check out the Effacrum project at http://www.itlaw.sk/effacrum/. I am attempting to create a novel steampunk-like setting running on a retro Ultima V-like MMORPG engine. The engine is already fully functional, it is all about adding content and scripts now.
Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2007, 10:42:58 pm »

MMOs are one of the hardest things to create, especially when you have no consistent talent. My advice is to find an engine that COULD be used for an MMO and use it to create smaller projects, single player games, graphical chat rooms and the like(who said these have to be either steampunk or even released?). After all, we really do need more steampunk and or neo-steampunk themed games.

Cheapie Theatre
Want something to read? Got ten minutes to kill? Here you go!
MrFats
Snr. Officer

Heretic Chronogadgeteer

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2007, 03:58:45 am »

It may be a complex project, but I feel we can handle it (those who are helping to create it, anyway). I'm sure, for those of you who are willing, that some extra people to aid in our endeavor would be greatly appreciated.

Fueled by coffee, powered by steam
Scientist, philosopher, photographer, writer
Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2007, 04:44:25 am »

I do have a suggestion. Why not go wit hthe world that's being played out in the Portrayal subforum? it already has governments, privet factions, airships and mobile cities as well as pirates and other things. Its europe, but its not the same old same old.
redfly
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2007, 11:18:56 pm »

Hmm has anyone played Bang!Howdy? If that isn't steam punk I don't know what is...
MrFats
Snr. Officer

Heretic Chronogadgeteer

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2007, 04:11:48 am »

Well, Mr. Lazarus that is a fine idea. However, we are currently in process, and have decided on setting and them. We could always incorporate some of those elements into the game.
Esher
Gunner

« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2007, 12:23:25 pm »

if you'd like i can do charater design sketching. i dont have much experiance in vehacils but i could give them a bash with a nice description. gadgets, weapons, and clothing too.

check out my gallery @ http://internalclock.deviantart.com/

(fyi yes i have the spelling ability of a fish. everything is phaneticly and without the use of grammer. just read it out loud and you should get what i mean b^-Qd sorry in advance for any mind breaking)

pps HIYA IM NEW *does a lil jig*

"Good health is merely the slowest possable rate at which one can die."
Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2007, 04:59:51 pm »

As this is a project already in development might I suggest a base so that the core engine and such is already taken care of?

http://www.realmcrafter.com/

I do not know if you already have an engine set or not, but from what I've seen this is a good place to start. Granted you'll have to do a fair bit of importing of weapons and models and such because the intended setting is far from generic fantasy, but it gets the basic problems of zones and network code and the like taken care of and includes a support forum(and I think there's also some steamish type stuff included, dunno though).

Postscript:
Now that I look at it many of the buildings are usable as they have that distinctive 'old' European feel that could be used for non-metropolitan settings and the like. there's also the castles and prop items(beakers, rugs, and the like) as well as swords and animals. Also I'm sure someone could figure out how to make use of the built in skeletons for whatever new models are needed. Its a bit higher in requirements than I'm capable of...but I dunno, give me a few months and I might be able to come up with a computer able to start the actual mapping out process. Do we want 'our' earth as a base, with Europe and the Americas and the like, or just a oddball place? How big do you want to start as  he initial settings? Will we have London/surrounding environments with steamer port to boston/india/wherever, or are we going wit ha single city as the initial playground for testing? Who's doing modeling? Who's doing coding? What of quests for advancement? Anyone working on that?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 05:06:07 pm by Lazaras » Logged
Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2007, 12:09:48 am »

I take it either my idea is still under deliberation or it has been rejected?
5tephe
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2007, 06:54:32 am »

Not at all, Lazarus!

I think Easter simply got in the way.

We are currently attempting to work in the Multiverse platform, still in Beta at the moment.
If you are interested, pop me a PM with a functional email address (I am VERY careful with such things, of course) that you actually check, and I will give you a Guest account at our Online Project Base. If you like what you see, then you could probably join the team.

Escher, same thing goes for you, of course. Gratefully accepting all offers of help at this point.
David Devereux
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2007, 12:53:29 pm »

This sounds like a smashing idea. A PM has indeed been sent.
Adml. Etherington
Snr. Officer

Airship Pirate

« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2007, 06:27:23 pm »

Smashing!
More members for the team means a better chance we can get this idea off the ground.
I hope to see some of you over on the project soon!

The walls between art and engineering exist only in our minds.
 - Theo Jansen
Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2007, 10:35:44 pm »

I'm unsure on what I can do to help, but if my machine is capable of running the client I'm willing to help beta.
MrFats
Snr. Officer

Heretic Chronogadgeteer

« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2007, 01:58:02 am »

Well Sir, you can aid me in writing storyline, or help coding, rendering, the list is quite long. If you have access to a computer and knowledge of something I'm sure you can help.
Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2007, 04:31:17 am »

PM me so we can agree on where my particular viewpoint and writing style can best be applied.
BlueViking
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2007, 08:01:48 pm »

I too am more then interested in joining this project,
I've been reading these forums for quite a while and never really had a reason to make an account,
i've been on 4 halflife modding teams,
and I have quite an extensive history in mmo's
send me a pm,
Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2007, 09:07:32 pm »

I've pemed 5teph and have yet to receive a reply on the matter. However while i am interested in contributing lore and other written tidbits for this project I have issue with the steep requirements for the game engine as while it DOES produce quite wonderful environments it also excludes a fair majority of people(myself included).

Still, I wait for a reply on the general ideas I've posted so I'll know which to go into greater detail on, which to leave alone, and in general what I can do to help make this project, in short, not suck.
MrFats
Snr. Officer

Heretic Chronogadgeteer

« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2007, 04:17:58 am »

Ok, so due to the fine people out there who want to put forth ideas and opinions for the MMO, 5tephe is presently creating a board on the project's site.

Lazarus, I'm sure 5tephe will get to you, it may take some time. As for viewpoints and writing style, we have not begun the storyline aspects yet, as we are still ironing out the basic functions, game play and other fundamentals. One cannot build a tower from the top down! So, whatever ideas you may have, send me a message, so we may mull over them.

BlueViking, please state any experience you may have so that we may better know where to place you in this project.

Esher, I'm sure any experience you have will aid us well, so by all means, join us. Send a pm to 5tephe to discuss the matter.

Mr. Devereux your help is most appreciated as well!

Better still, wait a bit, as 5tephe is creating a board for those of you who want to contribute, but are not sure what to do yet.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 04:23:38 am by MrFats » Logged
BlueViking
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2007, 06:23:26 am »

Ohh, I guess I didnt mention my field of work, lol, sorry
I'm a mapper,
as in, I make environments, (not a calligrapher Mapmaker, completely different thing) lol,
I have a few programs but they all export in way to specific file types, and i'm sure none would be accepted by whatever engine y'all plan on using,
It's been about a year since I've really done anything though, so I may be a bit rusty, but I can tackle most anything y'all try to throw at me.  although I may not have alot of time as my final exams are coming up / I party . . alot, I should be able to squeeze in a few hours a week, which will help,
I checked out the site with the username / password provided, Its pretty cool, I like what y'all have goin' on there, really well organized, we could very well get this project off the ground.
Lilithgow
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Spiff.

« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2007, 11:07:58 pm »

Being new here, I fear I am to late to the show, and even then, I fear that it's not like I could do that much. I do however, place myself at your disposal in the department of writing anything, and anything. Be it characters, quests or anything, I would plunge my heart and soul into it. Plus, it would give me an out for my constant daydreaming.

"I am a wordsmith. I take the words available to me and shovel them into the furnace of literature."
MrFats
Snr. Officer

Heretic Chronogadgeteer

« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2007, 01:35:17 am »

Well Sir, I would invite you to send a message to 5tephe. Some help and input in the writing department would help (I'm the writer, you know, so I personally wouldn't mind).
Lilithgow
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Spiff.

« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2007, 01:37:10 am »

Glorius.
heavyporker
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2007, 08:30:40 am »

Who is doing the concept art?

I hope you all enjoyed Air Kraken Day
Esher
Gunner

« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2007, 02:47:21 pm »

i offered to do as much as i possably can between my two other comic projects O.o i wouldnt rely solely on me tho as progress might take time. i also need descriptions of what i am to draw
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: