The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 18, 2017, 04:01:47 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sand Timer  (Read 906 times)
Mordicai
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: July 08, 2015, 04:08:29 pm »

Alrighty, for my first ever proper project (that isn't simply slapping some paint on a gun, a few bits here and there and calling it a day), I was largely inspired by the champion Ekko from League of Legends to build a time machine. For reference, this is his

I've always held an interest in making some form of Time Travel Device, even started on a handheld one last year before giving up because it just wasn't taking the shape I wanted. This however... this I want to do. The only problem is, where do I find a sand timer large enough and yet cheap enough to start?
I've checked Ebay, they have a few cheapish sand timers that are around 16cm in height, which isn't bad but I want BIG. You guys got any ideas or maybe locations to find such a thing, if it even exists?
Hell, anyone have any ideas on how to make my own?

« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 04:10:01 pm by Mordicai » Logged

Taste my gauntlet, it's the flavour of defeat.
Maets
Immortal
United States United States

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 04:31:29 pm »

Interesting project.  Here is an hour glass from target that looks pretty good.
http://www.target.com/p/sand-filled-hour-glass/-/A-16261680?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=google_pla_df&LNM=16261680&CPNG=Home+Decor&kpid=16261680&LID=25pgs&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=16261680&kpid=16261680&gclid=CjwKEAjwlPOsBRCWq5_e973PzTgSJACMiEp2i9VqUoVveyKok9lworRdKqWMN1ktVovTX0X2zP8_ARoCIbPw_wcB

Narsil
Immortal

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 09:38:54 pm »

I would see if you can find a matching pair of roughly conical containers perhaps large plastic wine glasses or have a search on ebay for plastic laboratory flasks and join them neck to neck.

A man of eighty has outlived probably three new schools of painting, two of architecture and poetry and a hundred in dress.
Lord Byron
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 12:00:04 am »

^this^
Excellent thought!

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
Mordicai
Deck Hand

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 01:50:22 am »

Thanks for the suggestions guys! (and the topic move, wasn't really sure if it was meant to be here or Chronautomata since it was time related)
Had a little look around for different things, checked out some DIY hourglasses using bottles and they were...ugh. The laboratory flasks look cool but at the prices for the clear ones of the height I have in mind, I think I may just go for these,

That's a 16cm version, which is about handheld size, and it looks like it'll do the trick, if I can take it apart. £8 isn't bad I suppose, maybe for a tester but there is a MEGA sand timer for quite a bit more cash and is 30cm high, which is kinda the ideal height in my mind. I may just bite the bullet and fork over the money for it and pray to the gods I don't break the timer itself, cause I want to replace the sand inside it with glow in the dark sand. Also would love to fill up the cylinder surrounding the glass timer with tonic water and install some blacklight LEDs to make it glow.
Oh the possibilities (of success of grand failure when I crack the sand timer o.o)!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: