The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 22, 2017, 12:40:20 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Airship Show!  (Read 1131 times)
LoneTraveler
Deck Hand
United States United States

My beloved airship, the Odyssey...

« on: July 06, 2015, 02:36:58 pm »

As we all know, airships are an integral part of the steampunk community. Why? Lots of reasons; the Victorians though of airships of the future, but  they were too big, too expensive and too dangerous, so we never really got to see them used in the mainstream. They can also be very pretty, just look at any steampunk art piece and you'll see one. Also, who doesn't think an airship battle would be cool, come on. Anyway, the point of this post is for you to show off your airship because, let's be honest, just about everyone here has one, real or not. I'll start!

This is my baby, the Odyssey. She was originally a frigate in the American Civil War (not the one in Universe A silly goose, the one that lasted thirty years in Universe B. Get with it). She was about to be scrapped by some greasy old fart, but five drinks and an three hours that I can't recall later, I took it off his hands. She needed some work, but it was worth it. She's powered by a heavy industrial steam boiler, which means she's not the fastest but she could run for months at a time as long as I have enough fuel. I removed most of the weapons but I did leave a keel-mounted 150mm cannon just in case I run into any trouble. I've used her for just about everything: trade runs, exploration, scrapping, even combat in a warzone (it was an accident, long story), and she's never let me down.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 03:32:18 pm by LoneTraveler » Logged

The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 08:33:14 pm »

Okay you asked for it.  Here are my big ones so far.  Hopefully more in the future.  See the Tactile section of BG for more images and info on each piece.

Unicorn Airship -  Warship - On loan to Bethlehem museum

Swan - Cruise Ship - On loan to Racine Art Museum

Viking Raider - Pirate ship - In private collection

Dolphin - Air Kraken Hunter

Factory Airship - Hydrogen production unit

Arrow - Communications Airship - Finalist in Cherry Creek's and Arrow's Challenge - In collection of Arrow

Skyyacht - Pleasure yacht

SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 08:48:15 pm »

Good to see them shown in one reply Mr M. I still can't make up my mind which I prefer.....

Too close to judge,  I love 'em all!

Carry on, my drooling over airships is all but over now  Roll Eyes

steiconi
Gunner
United States Minor Outlying Islands United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 09:16:56 pm »

love the bowspirits!
polyphemus
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 02:22:13 am »

Neither one has been physically realised.
Not yet anyway.

Polphemus Pomfret
"Don't be silly. He wouldn't write,"Aaarrgghhh!"
"Perhaps he was dictating."
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 02:31:12 am »

Thank you Seveneves and steiconi.

Polyphemus - I like the top one a lot.  The other one is interesting, but a little too strange for my tastes.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 01:53:37 am »

Here are the latest two.

Merchant/smuggler airship

Lightning collector.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 12:47:51 am »

And two more new ones.

The Shark, a rum runner.

Pegasus, a trawler after the elusive air kraken.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2015, 01:36:16 am »

Good to see them all together like this.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2015, 01:52:26 am »

I had kind of forgotten about this thread.  Hopefully others will join in with their work.
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2015, 05:00:19 am »

LoneTraveler,  I enjoyed your description, very well written.

This is my baby, the Odyssey. She was originally a frigate in the American Civil War (not the one in Universe A silly goose, the one that lasted thirty years in Universe B. Get with it). She was about to be scrapped by some greasy old fart, but five drinks and an three hours that I can't recall later, I took it off his hands. She needed some work, but it was worth it. She's powered by a heavy industrial steam boiler, which means she's not the fastest but she could run for months at a time as long as I have enough fuel. I removed most of the weapons but I did leave a keel-mounted 150mm cannon just in case I run into any trouble. I've used her for just about everything: trade runs, exploration, scrapping, even combat in a warzone (it was an accident, long story), and she's never let me down.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2015, 07:53:52 am »

I had kind of forgotten about this thread.  Hopefully others will join in with their work.

Might post a few of my recent drawings/doodles. If I could just find them...

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2015, 02:51:42 am »

I have updated a small booklet on Airships that shows all of the ones I have made and talks a little about each one and about the world these are part of.  It is a PDF file on Google Drive, here is the link https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_sCPPm7rPAFUWNiWTZPejVXbVk/view?usp=sharing

It is called "From Airships to Zeppelins"
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2015, 03:07:12 am »

Lovely work, Maets!
Umm, on page 20, para 1 " ... but the Shark would rather run then fight." Should 'then' be 'than'? or "run, then fight"
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2015, 01:35:29 pm »

Thank you and thanks for catching the error.  Uploading a new version now.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2015, 12:14:27 am »

Most welcome! Correct grammar, syntax and spelling is a particular bugbear of mine, and my eye seems drawn to the odd typo like a magnet! Must be the bit of proofreading I did years ago, and a career as a librarian - I also have an almost overwhelming urge to straighten the books on bookshop shelves, and put books in the right places in libraries!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: