The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 21, 2017, 05:34:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: looking for steamy places in...Scotland  (Read 1703 times)
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« on: July 03, 2015, 10:44:00 pm »

in august I'm going to Scotland for two weeks. I plan on bringing my costume to do some photo's on pretty locations.
do you have any suggestions? we'll be traveling around, visiting places including but not limited to: Stirling, Inverness, Fort Augustus, Aberdeen, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Saint Andrews, Skye... =]:{)

"Crazy pseudo-scot living in a fantasy world"
henrietta Devereux
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 10:54:47 am »

Edinburgh definitely. What sort of theme have you in mind?

I have never been to Balmoral or seen the film Mrs Brown but that could help you. I would end up on the railway and staying at the Station Hotels en route but SP today seems to have very little connection with steam as known by the Victorians; so that is probably not the direction you are heading.

Check out The Highland games, Scone, Oban station, the folly at the top of the hill at Oban. Have your camera ready at all times. I once missed the definitive photo of Scotland by having the camera on the back seat when I saw the stag in Glen Coe. Doh.

I have a suspicion the current, romantic, Victorian image of Scotland will bear as much to the reality of Scotland in 1820 as say the Welsh Stovepipe hat does to Wales in 1820. That is to say not invented yet.

Not SP but the best view in the United Kingdom was traditionally regarded to be from Applecross. All I can say is, not on the day we were there. If isolated splendour is your objective it may be worth checking before you set off. Do not forget the border counties en route.

Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 11:06:43 am »

Edinburgh definitely. What sort of theme have you in mind?
I'm not too sure yet. I thought to inform about the possibilities before trying to make a plan.
I have never been to Balmoral or seen the film Mrs Brown but that could help you. I would end up on the railway and staying at the Station Hotels en route but SP today seems to have very little connection with steam as known by the Victorians; so that is probably not the direction you are heading.

Check out The Highland games, Scone, Oban station, the folly at the top of the hill at Oban. Have your camera ready at all times. I once missed the definitive photo of Scotland by having the camera on the back seat when I saw the stag in Glen Coe. Doh.
Will have a camera in hand at all times. I don't drive, so I'll be in the passenger seat with the camera.
[Quote[
I have a suspicion the current, romantic, Victorian image of Scotland will bear as much to the reality of Scotland in 1820 as say the Welsh Stovepipe hat does to Wales in 1820. That is to say not invented yet.

Not SP but the best view in the United Kingdom was traditionally regarded to be from Applecross. All I can say is, not on the day we were there. If isolated splendour is your objective it may be worth checking before you set off. Do not forget the border counties en route.

[/quote]
I'm afraid you're right... we're taking a ferry so i don't know how much border we get to see...
George Salt
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 12:05:45 pm »

in august I'm going to Scotland for two weeks. I plan on bringing my costume to do some photo's on pretty locations.
do you have any suggestions? we'll be traveling around, visiting places including but not limited to: Stirling, Inverness, Fort Augustus, Aberdeen, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Saint Andrews, Skye... =]:{)

Eilean Donon - a bit more Highlander than Steampunk, but a classic backdrop.

I'm not sure which exact location, but somewhere near Stirling with The Wallace Monument as a backdrop.

Perhaps Fort George, near Inverness?

With the Forth Bridge as a backdrop.

RRS Discovery in Dundee.

Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2015, 01:00:51 pm »

Highlander is great too! All advice is welcome, I'm very interested in celtic, pictish, Caledonian and scottish history.
SteamHunterUK
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2015, 02:18:15 pm »

http://www.westcoastrailways.co.uk/jacobite/jacobite-steam-train-details.cfm

Running: Monday 11th May to Friday 23rd October 2015
Tickets for the 2015 season are on sale now
The service will run Mondays to Fridays throughout, and Saturdays & Sundays, 20th June to 20th September. The afternoon service runs Monday to Friday, 18th May to 28th August, boarding at Fort William and Mallaig.
Described as one of the great railway journeys of the world this 84 mile round trip takes you past a list of impressive extremes. Starting near the highest mountain in Britain, Ben Nevis, it visits Britain’s most westerly mainland railway station, Arisaig; passes close by the deepest freshwater loch in Britain, Loch Morar and the shortest river in Britain, River Morar, finally arriving next to the deepest seawater loch in Europe, Loch Nevis!
creagmor
Zeppelin Captain
South Africa South Africa

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 12:49:00 am »

How I envy you. I've wanted to visit there for over three decades, but the money just ain't there.  

If possible see the Art Nouveau Willow tea room constructed after designs by Charles Rennie Mackintosh in Glasgow; and Abbotsford, Sir Walter Scott's mansion, a couple of miles west of Melrose.

If you have in interest in such things there is The Museum of Transport, in Glasgow, containing "historical vehicles of all shapes sizes and ages, from steam locomotives and horse drawn trams to early Arrol Johnson cars", and The Barras. this is a flea market (boot sale) held on the weekends and supposedly one can find "anything from a needle to an anchor". There are supposed to be over a thousand stalls, and several pubs. If you, or anyone else get there, or have been there, please let me know your impressions; either here or via a PM.

Something one must be prepared for in the summer, until September. These are midges, pesky little flea-like critters that swarm in great hordes, mostly on the west coast and in the islands. Though not deadly their bite can be quite bothersome. Fortunately repellents are readily available, as are veils, should the need arise.  

Useful websites:
Turing - www.visitscotland.com
Gaelic interest - www.cnag.org, www.ambeile.org.uk,
Heritage groups - nts.org.uk, www.historic-scotland.net
Weather - www.onlineweather.com  

be forewarned that except for the first one, which I found quite helpful, I have no first hand knowledge of these. They were simply gleaned from my copy of Fodor's See it: Scotland, as was the vast majority of the information contained herein.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 03:55:30 pm by creagmor » Logged

“Love is an emotional thing, and whatever is emotional is opposed to that cold true reason which I place above all things.” Sherlock Holmes, in The Sign of Four.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 04:35:35 am »

There are many great castles  and castle ruin in Scotland. It would be a blaspheme to not see some of them.
Never mind the Cogs
Snr. Officer
England England

Chin Chin !

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 10:53:48 pm »

You could see if 'Aidrian has finally finished his wall....

Or

See if nessie likes the look of your costume....

Or

Join in with the local haggis hunt...

If it wasn't for the last minute, nothing at all would ever get done!
henrietta Devereux
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2015, 12:39:31 am »

You could see if 'Aidrian has finally finished his wall....

Or

See if nessie likes the look of your costume....

Or

Join in with the local haggis hunt...

och aye; you got ta try some haggis and gravy although there seem to be thousands of opportunities to try that every January o'er the border. I wondered about suggesting Rabbie Burns and some o the trackways but thought someone living in Scotland would be posting details of the not to be missed places rather than me mentioning random places I liked. It is not really Scotland but do agree, if you like walking Aidie's fence is well worth a few days walk.

I think I am right in believing that the horror of forestry commission conifer planting and schedule B tax breaks are now absolutely consigned to the dustbin of history. In my youth we foolishly spent a day clambering up to some historic viewpoint only to discover we were in the middle of a modern day pine regiment with no hope of seeing anything other than lines of trees.

Where does the ferry dock? Will you be pre-booking your hotels?

Some friends take the train to the Edinburgh festival each year. Sounds too much of a test of stamina for me but they are planning to visit this lady http://www.steampunkcoffee.co.uk/the-road/. She may be able to put you in touch with people who can give you up to date advice about what to see.

When planning a trip to Scotland I humbly suggest you give serious consideration to the amount of time you wish to spend in the car and the type of activities you would like to include in your holiday. Have you calculated the distance that round trip you mention in your first post actually covers? I reckon doing it as Edinburgh, Stirling, St Andrews, Dundee, Aberdeen, inverness, Fort Augustus including Portree and Fort William, Oban, Glen Coe, Loch Lomond, Glasgow; you are travelling over 600 miles without stopping for sightseeing, diversions, meals, etc. Do you want to include distillery/fishing/golf/shoot/retail experience.

The challenge is the distances between keynote places. We all get used to our own comfortable travelling distance. Living in the English Midlands I start looking for overnight accommodation if visiting somewhere a hundred miles away. In Scotland that mileage could be an evening out at a restaurant.

I recall meeting a lovely lady in the Cotswolds. She had travelled over 600 miles from her home near John O Groats for the weekend. She was spending the Saturday sightseeing Stratford, Birmingham, Banbury and Oxford. The distance meant nothing to her as a round trip to a hairdresser is in excess of a 100 miles.

Unless you really enjoy shopping try and cover your desire for tartan/tweed/sporrans/whisky/Nessie in one shopping trip in one of the cities en route. It leaves you free to sightsee; fear not; everywhere has a gift shop for impulse purchases.

As I starting point for touring trips I always see what the coach companies include in their itineraries. I then haunt tripadvisor.com.

Have a good holiday with wonderful memories.

May I suggest you pack a single burner camping stove, kettle and small frypan for coffee and egg butty breaks en route.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2015, 09:33:10 pm »

I honestly believe i responded to this... anyway! Thank you all! Currently staying in bishopton for a few nights... I don't recall if anyone named this but Greenock(did I spell that right?) is really pretty, and historical...
creagmor
Zeppelin Captain
South Africa South Africa

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2015, 09:59:01 am »

Glad that your trip is going well. Hope the rest of it is even better.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: