The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 01:55:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Corsets are uncomfortable and dangerous. Discuss.  (Read 760 times)
Colonel Hawthorne
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« on: July 02, 2015, 03:15:48 am »

This recent article from the ABC (that's Australian Broadcasting Commission) worries me.

Many of us will be able to identify with the empowering nature of steampunk and the attraction we have for photographers.  I have no issue with that.  My problem is with the description of the difficulties and dangers of wearing corsets.  I quote:

Wearing corsets is put simply, an ordeal.

Evonne Clough says the lacing and unlacing has to be done in stages of a little bit every five minutes to avoid deep vein thrombosis.

One of her corsets, a black leather number even requires her to lie on the ground to do up.

Ms Clough admits it's not just getting dressed and undressed for the day that's difficult.

"I try not to eat or drink too much when I'm in my corset.

It does take time to go to the bathroom."

Now, I can't speak from personal experience of corsets, but my observation of Mrs. Hudson (the younger), my constant companion, suggests to me that the above statements are, not to put too fine a point on it, bollocks.  Mrs Hudson generally requests that I check her modesty panel for straightness and tuck her laces away neatly, but having to lie on the floor to get into a corset?  Difficulty with eating and drinking (and the natural aftermath thereof)?  No!

SteamIngenious has done a very good series of articles on corset myths which seem to support my view.

It seems to me that if Mrs Clough is having so much trouble her best remedy might be to look into getting a corset that actually fits her, but as I say my personal experience is lacking.  Would any BG ladies care to comment?

Colonel Sir Julius Hawthorne
H.M. Air Privateers (Retd.)

http://capitalsteampunknz.org

Whatever did we do before retro-futurism?
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 06:46:39 am »

My dear Colonel you are, in my personal experience, quite correct.  In may be that the person in question chooses to tight lace but then that is her choice and certainly not mine.
I have worn a corset for up to 14 hours and was, at the end of that long day of mainly standing, less tired than I would have been without my well fitted and steel boned friend.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 09:51:11 am »

I have no experience with corsets, as my build does not allow me to wear then (aka, i'm too fat for most corsets)
but I do have experience with bra's, and I think a corset would be a better breast-holder than a bra...and therefore actually reduce the forse put on a ladies back.
for this you shouldn't have a too tight corset, as that would damage the ribcase and trouble breathing...which don't seem like positive effects to me... but then again, I've never worn a corset.

"Crazy pseudo-scot living in a fantasy world"
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 09:57:41 am »

Hmm is she trying to lightly adjust the contour of her midriff? Or cut herself in two?

I must say I concur. If a man wears trousers 3 sizes too small and suffers unsightly nut chaffing as a result. Don't blame the trouser blame the cut.
Somebody get that lady a properly fitted lovely this very instant!

« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 10:11:41 am by Clym Angus » Logged

Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 10:01:01 am »

Hmm is she trying to lightly adjust the contour of her midriff? Or cut herself in two?

that's the question.
there's corsets and there's corsets, indeed.
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 10:18:55 am »

Well, you can over tighten them too. An event that is prone to happen if you get an ill-fitting one.

People change body shape as well. Maybe she'll pop on and we can get some more information. Probably not a good idea casting dispersions over a mere news article.

(you know what news articles are like, they sensationalise everything)
henrietta Devereux
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 10:28:05 am »

Sounds like the writer was suffering. Maybe her corset was not properly fitted or she was ignoring the general advice not to wear a corset less than 4 inches smaller than waist size. A corset certainly helps maintain an upright posture and increases the attractiveness of the figure. Bending in a tight or poorly fitting garment would be sure to create a certain amount of rigidity.

A wire protruding from a bra is agony. Imagine some of those corset bones sticking into flesh. Ouch.

PR, Marketing and vanity are responsible for a lot of dreadful fashion advice. I know the fashion industry is very important financially but it is hard to understand why women's need to conform persuades them to follow so many styles. The corset is only one fashion and providing the garment fits properly of less harm than many heel heights. Those bodies fashionable a couple of years ago did not reduce waist size. They just gave a more flattering, pant line free, shape. Even they had a detrimental effect on certain bodily functions. Wearing those 5 days a week was a problem as it could take 4 or 5 days to restore proper functionality. Off course, properly bought up Victorians had no bodily functions to concern themselves with.  

I understand a lot of women still believe the 1920/30's advertising claiming not wearing a bra will make breasts sag in later years. The scientists disproving that claim all seem to be men. I am suspicious of their motives.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 10:34:55 am »

I understand a lot of women still believe the 1920/30's advertising claiming not wearing a bra will make breasts sag in later years. The scientists disproving that claim all seem to be men. I am suspicious of their motives.

not wearing a bra may not cause your breasts to sag, but by the end of the day I have often experienced backache from not wearing a bra (when wearing swimwear for example)....I am suspicious of their motives too.
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 12:26:30 pm »

If we are accusing a group of scientists of falsifying findings just so they have a slightly higher average of getting one layer of fabric closer to a set of norks. Can we at the very least site the paper, see who peer reviewed it?

I don't know maybe see if the experiment has been rerun with a larger sample size? That's the usual way proving or disproving things.

Anyway your going after the wrong people. Rocket scientists. Those are the ones you have to watch. Everyone knows they fudged the tests so they could build giant space willies that penetrate their way into the atmosphere. That pack of women haters practically bleed raw machismo......

Feminism has a love hate relationship with the humble bra doesn't it? One minute they're a symbol of oppression next minute they're much needed armour against the lustful minds of the decidedly caddish.

The nearest male equivalent (the sock suspender) is nowhere nearly as divisive; simply inspiring comical laughter. 
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 12:36:48 pm by Clym Angus » Logged
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 01:02:27 pm »

Let me get this straight: bra's that push up your breasts hurt, lace can cut the skin on your breasts, ill fitting bras cause back ache...this is why bras worn only to make a woman look more feminine (aka bigger breasts) are indeed oppressing. Though i do not want to think about not wearing a bra and have them jump everywhere.

Anyway, wasn't this thread about corsets?
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2015, 01:17:39 pm »

Feminism has a love hate relationship with the humble bra doesn't it? One minute they're a symbol of oppression next minute they're much needed armour against the lustful minds of the decidedly caddish.

Well, it may surprise you to learn that the humble brassiere (at least, as we know it) was in it's early days hailed as major step forward for the 'proto-feminism' of the early 20thC and women's liberty in general, simply because it freed them from corsets, and the wearing of a brassiere as opposed to a corset (for the purposes of supporting the 'fun bags' of the female of the species) was very much a symbol of being a 'modern, free thinking woman'. Unfortunately, it's (female) inventor lived long enough to see it vilified as a symbol of male oppression by later generations.

But in general I am forced to agree with the general consensus here in that this sounds like a lady who is willfully putting her health at risk by tight lacing a corset which is either too small or doesn't fit her. I seem to recall my former paramour telling me that her research into corsetry said that a reduction in the circumference of the waist by 3 inches when corseted was generally considered to be the safe limit.

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
pakled
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Minions Local 305, at your thervice!

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2015, 01:44:56 pm »

Actually, the urban legend of bra-burning refers to a single incident, a single bra, as a protest. Honestly (not possessing any myself, but just from observation) is that breasts are almost biometric in uniqueness, and what works for one woman may not work for another

I hope that the dear lady finds a better fit...
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2015, 03:07:31 pm »

Actually, the urban legend of bra-burning refers to a single incident, a single bra, as a protest. Honestly (not possessing any myself, but just from observation) is that breasts are almost biometric in uniqueness, and what works for one woman may not work for another

I hope that the dear lady finds a better fit...

Even one woman sheldom has two identical breasts. This can differ even a few cup sizes.
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2015, 03:29:06 pm »

Let me get this straight: bra's that push up your breasts hurt, lace can cut the skin on your breasts, ill fitting bras cause back ache...this is why bras worn only to make a woman look more feminine (aka bigger breasts) are indeed oppressing. Though i do not want to think about not wearing a bra and have them jump everywhere.

Anyway, wasn't this thread about corsets?

That is absolutely fair and I fully accept that your opinion (coming from experience rather than conjecture) is by far the most valid one. Hell, if someone tried to convince me to wrap my knob up in a prittification harness, I would indeed be sceptical.

Corsets, yes.  A good one is good. A bad one (I'm reliably informed) is like Satan hugging your midriff.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2015, 06:06:11 pm »

There's also a fetish known as "tightlacing," which name is, I think, sufficiently descriptive that you needn't look it up unless you're into that sort of thing. From her described experiences, I would guess the lass in question to be tightlaced.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2015, 08:03:12 pm »

I used to do the limbo on skates twice a week in a corset and I found the only time I had any pain was when the knot in the laces worked it's way in to a bad spot or the one time I drunk way too much soda in one.  Fit is super important however to make things comfortable and lacing up slowly and giving yourself a chance to adjust.

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2015, 08:09:33 pm »

I used to do the limbo on skates twice a week in a corset and I found the only time I had any pain was when the knot in the laces worked it's way in to a bad spot or the one time I drunk way too much soda in one.  Fit is super important however to make things comfortable and lacing up slowly and giving yourself a chance to adjust.

Sounds logical.
Also woah. Impressive.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2015, 08:12:02 pm »

I used to do a steampunk skate night after derby practice.  I am out of practice but I so want to try it again.
henrietta Devereux
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2015, 12:04:04 pm »

If we are accusing a group of scientists of falsifying findings just so they have a slightly higher average of getting one layer of fabric closer to a set of norks. Can we at the very least site the paper, see who peer reviewed it?

I don't know maybe see if the experiment has been rerun with a larger sample size? That's the usual way proving or disproving things.

Anyway your going after the wrong people. Rocket scientists. Those are the ones you have to watch. Everyone knows they fudged the tests so they could build giant space willies that penetrate their way into the atmosphere. That pack of women haters practically bleed raw machismo......

The nearest male equivalent (the sock suspender) is nowhere nearly as divisive; simply inspiring comical laughter. 

quite right all claims must be verified. Hope this satisfies the requirement for presentation of the claim. I leave it up to the reader to decide how to describe someone dedicating 15 years of his life to feeling mammaries http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/259073.php

personally I prefer not to have bra strap indentations but there are times when a girl needs a bit of thrust. now a sock suspender that is something to make the blood rush to a girls head. Apparently Stocking suspenders have a similar effect on gentlemen.

henrietta Devereux
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2015, 12:13:22 pm »

An extract from the article in the previous post states

Rouillon acknowledged that women wear a bra for a number of reasons, apart from hoping to conserve the shape of their breasts and to prevent sagging. Some find them more comfortable, especially those who live far from the equator during wintertime.

Why? What is the relevance of the season; other than thickness of fabric affecting nipple display? Does the same apply to corsets? Is there anywhere on the equator where corset wearing is usual?
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2015, 02:46:43 pm »

I'm thinking that since the Earth's rotation is faster at the equator, the centrifugal force helps counter Earth's gravitational pull. Therefore women who live near the equator doesn't need a corset as much, to avoid gravity's sad effects on breasts. Though I may need to get a grant to do further studies regarding the breast perkiness of equatorial women.

Incidentally if you kiss a woman from the southern hemisphere, will her tongue be moving counter-clockwise?

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2015, 03:40:50 pm »

This is good to see! As no one has mentioned it and, as with anything on the internet; a LACK of response practically screams taciturn agreement.

We all agree that rocket scientists are metal willy firing, women hating, piles of mental wrongness. Excellent! I'll get the torches and pitch forks. Cheesy

Now a sock suspender that is something to make the blood rush to a girls head. Apparently Stocking suspenders have a similar effect on gentlemen.

Only when taken off and that's due to the pressure differential.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 03:43:11 pm by Clym Angus » Logged
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2015, 04:41:57 pm »

We all agree that rocket scientists are metal willy firing, women hating, piles of mental wrongness. Excellent! I'll get the torches and pitch forks. Cheesy

Im all in for pitchforks.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2015, 07:18:21 pm »

I tried a corset for a very short time after an automobile accident back in the '80s; the doc said a regular backbrace was too rigid, so I should either wear a corset (took me about twenty minutes initially to realize he wasn't joking; the fellow has a really odd sense of humor) or do without external support. I chose the latter pretty quickly, because you wouldn't believe what a cast-iron b*!@ that corset was.

Having constant back pain plus intermittent flashes of lightning (severe sciatic nerve twinges; feels like you've had kerosene poured on you and set ablaze, all in one horrific flash. I still get them from time to time) down your back and legs in normal living is bad enough; try lacing or just simply wearing a corset with that kind of crud going on, yes, even with it drawn up tight. Nope, not for me. I do have some small appreciation for the "smashed breath" that those who wear the corset experience, however. I can't imagine how you all put up with it, in fact.

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: