The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 14, 2017, 11:08:54 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I try to write a story, do you have ideas for me?  (Read 613 times)
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« on: June 28, 2015, 02:52:12 pm »

Hello!
Sorry for spamming the forum, I'm getting really enthusiastic.
So I've been trying to write a story (note: trying!)
I've spend a lot of time on world building but I'm struggling to find a proper storyline, maybe you can help me.

This story plays in an alternate world in which besides humans live two different intelligent species. One's the Vulca. Metal based humanoids with four arms. They live in vulcanoes and in the middle of deserts. If they cool down too much they solidify and die. Humans and vulca rarely cross paths (though there are stories of Vulcan children lifting along in the engines of trains). Human kind developed a kind of obsession over observing the Vulca as they appear to be impossible.
The other kind crosses with humans a lot. They're called the Angli, often mistaken for angels.they are slender humanoids with wings. The Angli trade with both humans and Vulca but as they can't pronounce most consonants they have trouble communicate with human kind.
The main character I had in mind is a half angli boy called Calinn Anderson.
Calinn is in training at East Trading Academy to become an airship captain. (Military, east trading is only the name of the place). Due to his mixed blood he's got one sort of developed wing, and one very underdeveloped making him unable to fly on his own.
While the academy usually doesn't accept people that can't fit in their uniforms due to strange inhuman appendages Calinn's dad paid so much they had no choice.
Calinn is not very accepted among humen but he has one friend. Ember (no last name yet) who is the daughter of a scientist studying Vulca.

"Crazy pseudo-scot living in a fantasy world"
Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

https://rangerreid.wordpress.com/

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 03:06:39 pm »

I will too out an adventure based story idea, has some classic twists.

He is accepted because they paid his way in.  Naturally the rank and file is aware of this, and resent him.  They miss no opportunity to try to drum him out, or to remind him that his deformity is offensive and he will never fit in.

Deep in the recesses of the planet, old lava tubes are rumored to lead to lost civilizations.  According to the legends, there is a spring there.  Water itself is a valued commodity, but water that can heal/ repair would be exactly what he needs.

So he decides to slip out and find the spring.  His friend Ember is a natural partner since she knows Vulca as well an anyone.  She is the one who uncovered the notes on the spring.   (it could either be a natural site or a product of the science/ magic of the lost civilization.  (those people of long ago were known for blending magic and science in a way that is lost to knowledge now)

One other person tags along.  At first they are unaware, but Jared, grand nephew to the dean, and an arrogant prat followed them to get them in trouble.  He is one of the worst tormentors of your young hero.

Eventually he has to call for help, and they come back to help him.  Calinn has to choose whether to let his enemy fall/ die/ whatever, or to help him, and helping him will leave him free to turn them in.......

They help him, but the damage has shattered Jared's wing.  Now he too wants to find the spring.

There are traps, mutant beings, scavangers who would be happy to take kids from the academy hostage for ransom....   You figure it out.  But the vulvano made me think of lava tubes and the different races made me think that they all might have an unknown similar origin.  Like when they do find the spring, they also find out that the old lost race actually became the other species or something............

Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 03:15:13 pm »

The spring doesn't have to heal him either.  If his deformity is a plot device you want to keep.......   maybe they find the spring but it doesn't "heal" him.  but they do find technology from the lost race, and with it he can still fly?Huh 

Jared would get healed, and they would think he was still going to turn them in.  When they show up with the tech (or healed) and the teachers start grilling him on where they have been and how he is healed/ where he got the flying tech/ etc, then Jared would come in at the last and help them explain it or take the blame entirely  "I found it.. they followed me when I went down the forbidden tubes...."

I know it is a fairly predictable plot, but you can make twists and tweak it to make it your own.....
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 09:54:00 pm »

I love that idea! Thank you very much! I'll wait a bit to see if others have other ideas but if not, i might use this
Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 10:06:57 pm »

When I used to go to RenFairs the best part would be the first night after the paying customers had left.   All the folks that were camping would still be in character and would be sitting around camp fires and drinking and generally having fun.

I would stand up, in character and tell stories.   I would make them up on the spot, and include the different people that were sitting around the fire with me. 

Making up a quick plot line/ basic idea is easy for me.  Sitting with the discipline to write a novel, and fixing all the continuity flaws and subplot issues is hard work LOL

I hope I helped.   If you don't use my idea, maybe it will inspire one of your own.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 10:16:29 pm »

I am very thankful for your idea and...
I envy your con experiences. Sad I wish I could ever be a non-paying visitor...

But writing, to me, is an outlet. It helps me calm my mind. Especially worldbuilding is something I love to do. Angli and Vulca are worked out to the structure of their DNA...
Never mind the Cogs
Snr. Officer
England England

Chin Chin !

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 05:02:02 pm »

Why not turn it all on its head!
your 2 alien races are indigenous spieces with the 'humans' arriving to trade/ colonise etc (because humans make great bad guys)

your main character could be half of each of your aliens, giving him the ability on onehand to understand both side of the 'old world' and on the other be outcast from both communities.

His contact with the human could be a human outcast (for whatever reason).

This then could go anyway you like as per other commenters

If it wasn't for the last minute, nothing at all would ever get done!
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 08:01:06 pm »

your 2 alien races are indigenous spieces with the 'humans' arriving to trade/ colonise etc (because humans make great bad guys)

your main character could be half of each of your aliens, giving him the ability on onehand to understand both side of the 'old world' and on the other be outcast from both communities.

I like the idea(better than my origional one, I must say)
but it is unlikely because Vulca are egg laying creatures with a body temperature over 100 Celsius, and Angli are winged mammals with the genetic makeup similar to birds. (saying males are XX and females are XY, instead of what is usual in mamals, males being XY and females XX)
they are incompatible to the point they can't even touch each other.
Never mind the Cogs
Snr. Officer
England England

Chin Chin !

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2015, 12:36:12 am »

it is unlikely because Vulca are egg laying creatures with a body temperature over 100 Celsius, and Angli are winged mammals with the genetic makeup similar to birds.

they are incompatible to the point they can't even touch each other.

Who is to say it is a physical half and half mix....

A cooling down (dying) vulca's last act is to project its memories, personality, spiritual make on to a passing living being, in the hope that its 'line' can in someway continue... , it is well know that flying things are drawn to  heat, just mind your wings do not get burnt......
Antonus Fudge
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2015, 04:32:03 pm »

Calinn is in training at East Trading Academy to become an airship captain. (Military, east trading is only the name of the place).

I often struggle with plots because I get hung up on one thing, like a character, so much that I forget to have them do anything. But here, I think you have the seeds already. Calinn Anderson (love the mix of strange and normal naming btw - big fan of that Smiley ) is, for reasons known thus far only to you, at a military academy, and that can only mean one thing - WAR is brewing!

Then from that you have questions: War with whom? What is this war about? What is Calinn Anderson's role to be? What's his arc, his personal journey? From much mocked cadet to Zeppelin Warlord, good to bad? Personal redemption? How do you want things to go for him at the end?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 04:38:50 pm by Antonus Fudge » Logged

~ * ~
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2015, 04:45:10 pm »

Calinn is in training at East Trading Academy to become an airship captain. (Military, east trading is only the name of the place).

I often struggle with plots because I get hung up on one thing, like a character, so much that I forget to have them do anything. But here, I think you have the seeds already. Calinn Anderson (love the mix of strange and normal naming btw - big fan of that Smiley ) is, for reasons known thus far only to you, at a military academy, and that can only mean one thing - WAR is brewing!

Then from that you have questions: War with whom? What is this war about? What is Calinn Anderson's role to be? What's his arc, his personal journey? From much mocked cadet to Zeppelin Warlord, good to bad? Personal redemption?

war IS brewing...but...SpOiLeRs

yes, there is a war going on. it's already there. haven't quite figured out with whom though...
his reason to be there is...began very personal for him. oh this boy dreams of flying! and his father is (although merchant) a captain too...so presure and stuff...

as for his name, Calinn is ment to be a humanized version of an angli name *a'inn (* being a click sound, ' being a sound so high humans can barely hear it) and Anderson is his fathers name.
Antonus Fudge
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2015, 04:47:28 pm »

I've spend a lot of time on world building but I'm struggling to find a proper storyline, maybe you can help me.

One thing about world building I've found is that it is highly addictive, and can very easily overshadow the narrative with a big infodump / exposition plopped right in the story. I've had it in my WIP - things are just getting exciting and suddenly I'm talking about tall trees with craggy branches or hills or something. But the world is so compelling that not to write about it seems dull, right? So just have bits of the world come to life as the characters interact with it, as props, to suggest whatever it is they are experiencing / going through at that minute. Have Calinn fiddle with a Vulca shortsword, tracing his fingers round its brutal edges as he contemplates his future at the academy ... or something ... Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: