The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 23, 2017, 05:57:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Calling all Brass Goggles of old?  (Read 4515 times)
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2015, 01:55:03 pm »

Don't Twitter or Facebook, so I rely on the forums. There is only so much information about myself I will allow in cyberspace!

A student on one of my Uni course forums started a Facebook page for the course, which defeated the whole purpose of having the Uni forum! As a result, a majority of the discussions that should have taken place on the Uni forum took place on FB, in a Uni unsanctioned, uncensored, unmoderated atmosphere and without instructor oversight, and without many of the course students - waste of time.

I don't always respond unless a topic really grabs my fancy, in which case I leave a comment, but I do read just about everything new - haven't caught up on the backstories for some topics, but am trying!
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #76 on: September 13, 2015, 02:58:52 pm »

My dear Mr Maets , you sir, are an absolute Diamond on this forum, don't you ever think we could get bored with you or your wonderfull creations, frequent posts and replies in tactile and the rest of the forum.

I think the modern way of putting things could be Respect

(just tried flicking my wrist to click my fingers together and, Bugger, I think I may have induced Carpel Tunnel or something, can't move my hand now  Tongue)

GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #77 on: September 13, 2015, 03:42:55 pm »

Well, I see I am not alone in my embarrassment for not having left more comments. I tend to not leave comments in Tactile, for example, as I am not a maker and have felt that the commentary would best be left to others who knew what they were going on about. When I comment in Tactile, it's usually because I do have a question, although sometimes I have merely gushed.

I suppose that if I haven't left a comment somewhere, it's either because I didn't have a question or otherwise felt I had nothing to add. Additionally, I haven't always replied to comments to my comments if I felt the commentor had said all that needed to be said.

I agree with SeVeNeVeS; we should make that extra effort to comment. We do not wish to appear to be "cliquey".
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #78 on: September 13, 2015, 10:29:42 pm »

I have always worried that just posting up a message saying "I love that" (and to be honest, that's pretty much the case for everything I see here in Tactile and Anatomical) might just seem like I was clogging up the thread to little advantage, but I can see I need to change my thinking on this.

In relation to other themes here, I do like the idea of an all inclusive calendar. I also, when first finding my way to Brass Goggles, found it odd that you did just drop straight into the forums page. An introductory home page which, for those who are coming across here for the first time, explains a little about Steampunk and what Brass Goggles is about could be beneficial.

Yours,
Miranda.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #79 on: September 13, 2015, 10:54:46 pm »

The page I've always thought of as the front page has this little snippet at the top, defining the term "Brass Goggles":

"1. A practical, sturdy, example of protective eyewear.
2. A blog and forum devoted to the lighter side of all things Steampunk."

Put yourself in the shoes of a complete stranger to the BG community, and Steampunk in general...One of these two pages looks more like a "home/front" page than the other.

So, do we actually need a new "front page"? One that would give the briefest of summaries of who we are (such as the bit copied above), then provides a link to the current calendar, teases new blog posts, x new posts in board x, and the like?
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #80 on: September 14, 2015, 12:10:11 am »

My dear Mr Maets , you sir, are an absolute Diamond on this forum, don't you ever think we could get bored with you or your wonderful creations, frequent posts and replies in tactile and the rest of the forum.

Thank you!

Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #81 on: September 14, 2015, 04:27:36 am »

Ah My Good Netizens -

After reading the responses from our friends Grub, I appologize to our friends Grimnir, Grub, Maets, and many others.

On the one hand, one wants to extend praise.
On the other hand, one always has excuses - not enough time, not much to say, etc etc.

There is however, my personal issue - the appearance of smarmy glad-handing. How many ways can we say "good job"?
and how many "good jobs" can one see without losing value? And so rather than repeat everyone else I have "said nothing"
which is , I guess just as bad....

yhs
prof marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #82 on: September 14, 2015, 06:12:34 am »

A lot of us, myself included will post a link or image that we found on the web that we think might be of interest to others on the site.  If people respond or comment that is nice, but no big deal.  Its just something interesting. There are a lot of interesting articles on a variety of topics that I read, but never say a word about.  I appreciate the info, glad it exists, but for me it doesn't need a response.

When you post pictures of your work, whether it took an hour or a week, you want a whole lot more feedback.  And you hope the feed back is proportional to the time and effort spent on the piece.  Spend an hour and get a couple of response, then fine.  Spend a week and a couple of responses is not very satisfying.

And what you really want most of all are responses from fellow creators.  It is especially nice to hear from other makers for me.  I would assume that writers appreciate the input of other writers more than from hat makers for example. If you just sewed a beautiful dress, I would image hearing from others that sew is more rewarding than hearing from guys that weld metal. 

Happy to see that all this is being discussed.
Major Vincent Smith
Eccentric Gentleman
Board Moderator
Snr. Officer

Vampyre Lord of the Twilight Overlord of Hellfire

jacknife98
« Reply #83 on: September 14, 2015, 12:09:44 pm »

Interesting ideas being tossed around in all quarters here! I've nothin really to add currently, other that support for most of the ideas, especially the idea of a splash page. Might try and throw a mockup of it together tonight, if I remember. As always, I'll get the SMF2.0 theme done eventually...

P.s. As we discovered SS, you could always elevate yourself to admin... Tongue

Spammers Flattened: 52
"Not on my watch!"
proteus
Devourer of Ugly Baked Goods
Administrator
Snr. Officer

Gravatar

brasstech
« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2015, 04:05:17 am »

Yes, the calendar stylesheet is an embarrassment, but it's also a zoo to actually fix. If someone wants to do the leg work of what styles to set in the stylesheet, that would expedite things tremendously.

As it sits, it's on the list but not super high -- not because I don't care, but because the spam and people-trying-to-root-the-server-lately problems have to take priority. Le sigh.

I'm thinking about the participation aspects deeply. I have noticed less discussion, though it comes in bursts. I've debated some sort of method to indicate approval that's not just a "right on" reply (this problem has been approached through votes, "Like", faves, etc... but none of those are exactly right), but I don't have it yet.

Like the above problem, it's lower on the list than getting the forum software fixed/replaced.

--
"Politics and religion are just like software and hardware. They all suck, the documentation is provably incorrect, and all the vendors tell lies." — Andrew Dalgleish

How To Financially Support Brass Goggles — now with a subscription option!
Moneaky
Deck Hand

« Reply #85 on: September 22, 2015, 08:56:23 am »

I am a new user of this forum. But was prolific on UK Runners world for quite a few years. My reasons for not posting/ visiting there so much are varied
1) My sudden retirement from ultra triathlon
2) It got very big, so hard to keep track of the events/ people you knew personally
3) the Facebook migration- which has a propensity to be more cliquey and exclusive in the scattered groups that are set up.
4) time.
What would bring me back?
1) a comeback to ultra triathlon, unlikely.
2) things can't stay the same so with lots of new users and consequently the same questions/ discussions happening over and over again- like the magazines once you have subscribed for a couple of years it's the same old stuff rolling round again. They did do a massive indexing of FAQ threads ( which we all helped do) in about 2004 but don't think this helped much. Sticky threads or restarting one annually (such as the photos of people in gear on here) work well to keep down the clutter and up the visual interest. I do drop in there occasionally and dip into longer running topics. But it is like walking back into your local Rip Van Winkle style and no one knowing who you are.
3) Facebook needs to die. In the interim, I suppose directing traffic from it to here as much as possible by having a sticky post at the top of the steampunk group pages or prominent link in the page header might help.

It has got me thinking, but being no tech expert can only comment on previous forum experience.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: