The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 18, 2017, 08:31:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Calling all Brass Goggles of old?  (Read 4491 times)
Augustus Longeye
Daedric Prince of Biscuits
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2015, 03:09:14 pm »

Now Drew! I resisted SO hard to avoid the obvious joke! And you went and made it instead! Sad
~Longeye~

Quote from: Sir Nikolas
I say you, chaps down there! Piss off, see? Haa ha! Love, Space Longeye <3
Major Vincent Smith
Eccentric Gentleman
Board Moderator
Snr. Officer

Vampyre Lord of the Twilight Overlord of Hellfire

jacknife98
« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2015, 04:13:08 pm »

I probably do Tongue

Spammers Flattened: 52
"Not on my watch!"
Major Vincent Smith
Eccentric Gentleman
Board Moderator
Snr. Officer

jacknife98
« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2015, 09:18:27 pm »

Right, so a weeklyish collective of the best new threads seems like a definite plan for the blog. I also like the idea of reviewing various steampunk works, and would like to add games to the list of things to review - I recently wrote a (somewhat gushy/rambly) review of Sunless Sea I'd be happy to refine and post up on the blog when it lives again. The idea of turning certain particularly good posts into blog form is also interesting. I shall think on this further, and edit this post if I turn up any ideas for scheduled or irregular blogposts.

Note: Internal moderator discussions are also occurring on this subject, we'll get back to you Smiley

Also, I missed it when it was mentioned earlier earlier, but I agree the calendar could do with being fixed if at all possible. Perhaps all mods should have permissions to add events, so we can keep it fairly up to date. Even better, allowing users to suggest events, which mods could then check and approve. Not sure SMF can handle this though!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 09:27:10 pm by Major Vincent Smith » Logged
selectedgrub
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2015, 07:24:32 am »

Where is this blog you talk of?
Major Vincent Smith
Eccentric Gentleman
Board Moderator
Snr. Officer

jacknife98
« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2015, 07:40:50 am »

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/blog/
Theophania_Elliott
Gunner

Gravatar

« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2015, 08:48:52 am »

... I agree the calendar could do with being fixed if at all possible. Perhaps all mods should have permissions to add events, so we can keep it fairly up to date. Even better, allowing users to suggest events, which mods could then check and approve. Not sure SMF can handle this though!

Not knowing what internal mechanisms you have available, but a low-tech way of doing it would be to say "Anyone wishing their event, or a public event not run by them, to be added to the calendar should email 'BGCalendar@gmail.com' (or something) with appropriate details." All, or an appropriate number, of mods have access to that email. Next man to look at the email decides whether an event is appropriate or not. If it is, it goes on the calendar. If it's not, the enquirer gets a message back telling him/her it's not, and possibly why not.

The question is whether the time it takes would be worth it. But my personal opinion (with which others may not agree) is that the calendar needs to be either fixed or removed. Preferably the former, though!
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2015, 03:59:51 pm »

...The question is whether the time it takes would be worth it. But my personal opinion (with which others may not agree) is that the calendar needs to be either fixed or removed. Preferably the former, though!

Fixed, up-to-date most certainly. I still say it's the best, fastest way to show we're active/current/relevant right on the front page.
Major Vincent Smith
Eccentric Gentleman
Board Moderator
Snr. Officer

jacknife98
« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2015, 03:24:25 pm »

Well, the calendar seems to be at least loadable now, if slow. Testing the ability to add events currently...

EDIT: Events seem to work...they are based on creating new topics though - I wonder if I can edit the event metadata into old topics...

EDIT: It appears I can add existing events! Cheesy
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 03:28:20 pm by Major Vincent Smith » Logged
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2015, 04:38:07 pm »

Speaking of Brass Goggles of old.  I happened to notice that OldProfessorBear was online yesterday.  Interesting that his last post was two years ago.

von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2015, 05:02:40 pm »

Speaking of Brass Goggles of old.  I happened to notice that OldProfessorBear was online yesterday.  Interesting that his last post was two years ago.
He hasn't been posting, but he has been checking in regularly for several months at least.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2015, 05:44:13 pm »

The green in upcoming events really hurts the eyes. I realise this is a WIP but not green.  Shocked

Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #61 on: September 12, 2015, 12:36:09 am »

What are going to be the posting rules for the Calendar?  I do art shows that art steampunk specific.  Would they qualify?
Major Vincent Smith
Eccentric Gentleman
Board Moderator
Snr. Officer

jacknife98
« Reply #62 on: September 12, 2015, 08:20:58 am »

@Sev None of the mods have the power to edit that green, that's up to proteus.

@Maets I should think so...although we haven't yet discussed rules, I just added those two events as a test.

At this point, I should probably split the calendar discussion out to its own topic...EDIT: Actually, makes more sense to keep it here, the discussion kinda naturally flowed to the calendar.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 08:22:44 am by Major Vincent Smith » Logged
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #63 on: September 12, 2015, 02:48:52 pm »

I had to hunt for the calendar; I knew it existed, because of all the commentary.

This, or at least a link to it, should be somewhere in pride of place on the front page:  http://brassgoggles.co.uk/blog/

That's the first place a casual visitor sees, and where we need to offer our enticements to urge potential new members to come on in to the forum.

And yes, the green is awful, at least at that size. At a bigger size and/or in bold...?

Alternate color suggestions for highlighting purposes at the current size, unbolded:

Red
Yellow
Pink
Orange
Beige
Lime Green
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #64 on: September 12, 2015, 04:20:39 pm »

OK cool with me, why not just give Siliconous Skumins a copy of the keys to allow entry to the castle gates but not forage too far and have have access to the harem. We all trust him to death and would seem logical, captain.

I had to hunt for the calendar; I knew it existed, because of all the commentary.

This, or at least a link to it, should be somewhere in pride of place on the front page:  http://brassgoggles.co.uk/blog/

That's the first place a casual visitor sees, and where we need to offer our enticements to urge potential new members to come on in to the forum.

And yes, the green is awful, at least at that size. At a bigger size and/or in bold...?

Alternate color suggestions for highlighting purposes at the current size, unbolded:

Red
Yellow
Pink
Orange
Beige
Lime Green
Not just me that can't actually read the text then, is that a link to the blog that hasn't been updated for a few years now?   Undecided
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #65 on: September 12, 2015, 08:25:45 pm »

OK cool with me, why not just give Siliconous Skumins a copy of the keys to allow entry to the castle gates but not forage too far and have have access to the harem. We all trust him to death and would seem logical, captain.

Why thankyou!  Wink  But that would be up to Proteus to decide who he wants / trusts poking around the forum settings. As is, I would need to be an Admin, or the Governor permissions would need to change to allow forum administration - and there are associated risks with either option (as Admin I could really f*** up the forum, and the other option, THREE people could really f*** up the forum)...

Not something to take lightly. So forgive him if he runs a mile at the suggestion.  Wink

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #66 on: September 13, 2015, 01:16:17 am »

...is that a link to the blog that hasn't been updated for a few years now?   Undecided

It's the site introduction page for me. It's where I was first directed when I encountered this community, so I suspect that may be the case for others as well. That's why I call it "the front page", because for me, it is. From there I click on the link to the forum and log on. I gather then that others go right to the forum index page ("Home" in the tabs). Since the other is always the first page I see, I presumed it was that way for others as well.

Whether or not that's the "normal" front page for everyone else or not, a very noticeable link to the calendar should be placed permanently near the top of the "blog" page. As for the index page, I'd move the calendar link up somewhere near the top of the page; it's important enough that it shouldn't be lurking near the bottom.
grimnir
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Maker of fine Leathercrafts

« Reply #67 on: September 13, 2015, 04:46:01 am »

Want to know why I'm not very active here? Because I rarely get any response when I post. When I first found the site, I read lots, posted lots, had a lot of interactions. These days, I just don't seem to get any response. I'd get views, but no/very few comments. My comments on other peoples posts didn't seem to get responses. After a while, I just didn't post as much, since it didn't appear that what I was saying and showing was of interest to the folks here any longer, and then I started reading less, since it didn't seem like I fitted in.

The forum is still on my startup list, so I do visit regularly, but honestly, there's a very cliquey feel these days. You're in, or you're not.

Kindest regards, Raven

SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #68 on: September 13, 2015, 08:15:12 am »

Forums can be funny things sometimes, only yesterday I decided to quit posting after 5 years, but after a bit of thought changed my mind and I'm pretty sure Mr Grub felt the same a while back.

I can fully understand your feelings, we get ebbs and flows here, so please don't take it to heart. ( cant say I've noticed the cliquey feel, maybe a little apathy)

I am not free of guilt myself, I sometimes look, think oooh!, that's nice and move on without leaving comment.

I love this forum and most of the people on it, so another member giving up is just another potential nail in the coffin.
selectedgrub
« Reply #69 on: September 13, 2015, 09:13:48 am »

Sadly my sarcasm....

Yes.
grimnir posted a nice leather corset from a 1904 patent.
It was looked at just over 100 times and had 2 comments.

We like photos

Theophania_Elliott
Gunner

Gravatar

« Reply #70 on: September 13, 2015, 10:05:15 am »

I am not free of guilt myself, I sometimes look, think oooh!, that's nice and move on without leaving comment.

This is an interesting point, because it has two sides to it (which, mathematically speaking, ought to be impossible).

If a person gets no response to their post, they end up posting less. But on the other hand, if a posting has a string of replies that just add up to "I think it's nice too", then that also puts people off because they can't be bothered to read through a whole bunch of stuff that doesn't contribute anything.

Some fora have a "like" button on each post, which might be an option to introduce here, if the programming will do it. It might perform the function of making the poster feel appreciated, while not filling the forum up with posts that don't really add anything other than validation.

...is that a link to the blog that hasn't been updated for a few years now?   Undecided

From the above, I believe the intention may be to reinvigorate the blog - which makes sense if it is to be the front page.
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #71 on: September 13, 2015, 10:57:30 am »

This is an interesting point, because it has two sides to it (which, mathematically speaking, ought to be impossible).

If a person gets no response to their post, they end up posting less. But on the other hand, if a posting has a string of replies that just add up to "I think it's nice too", then that also puts people off because they can't be bothered to read through a whole bunch of stuff that doesn't contribute anything.

Some fora have a "like" button on each post, which might be an option to introduce here, if the programming will do it. It might perform the function of making the poster feel appreciated, while not filling the forum up with posts that don't really add anything other than validation.

...is that a link to the blog that hasn't been updated for a few years now?   Undecided

From the above, I believe the intention may be to reinvigorate the blog - which makes sense if it is to be the front page.

can't be bothered.......... may just about sum it up.

Read through a whole bunch of stuff that doesn't contribute anything.......... Surely interaction (this is a forum afterall) and appreciation of a persons skills and ability is, in fact an extremely important and valid contribution to any thread?

I agree on the LIKE button for us types who are sometimes limited on time and can't think of something to say.
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #72 on: September 13, 2015, 12:18:43 pm »

The fact that so many forums have a 'Like' button at all speaks volumes about the root cause of the apparent apathy and lack of comments among the users - FACEBOOK!

More and more I am seeing personal blogs an the Internet being reserected after a couple of years of inactivity, all starting with a post along the lines of "That's it, I'm DONE with Facebook - it's a blackhole that eats up all my time and leaves me feeling like crap!".
It is an interesting note that many recently undeaded blogs have a similar complaint about other users of Facebook being too cliquey and that if you are not in the right group, at exactly the right time, then you will miss an announcement of an up coming event, and that because more and more people are relying on Facebook as the ONLY form of public notification of events, LESS AND LESS are actually aware of the events and actually turning up!  Undecided

One comment on a steampunk related blog I read a few days ago, said:
"Thanks to the local Steampunk group now only announcing upcoming events via Facebook, and no longer even updating their own website and forum, only FOUR people are going to turn up at the next meeting, instead of the more normal 40 plus, because most are members of numerous other steampunk groups on facebook and are missing nearly everything announced in every group..."

Unfortunately, Facebook has a way of changing user expectations and interactions for the worse. Facebook is designed to be as addictive as possible, and it's working. As a result people are slowly becoming more apathetic in responce to other posters, because on Facebook, you can just 'click Like' and move on to the next shiny. It's like everybody is developing ADHD...  Roll Eyes
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #73 on: September 13, 2015, 12:35:23 pm »

Ok, forget the LIKE, will make an extra effort to reply to posts, anyone else with me here?

Umm what is this farcebook thing I keep hearing about, not interested really, there's another thing called twatter or something, again, not for me I guess.......
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #74 on: September 13, 2015, 01:50:55 pm »

For me any response is appreciated.  "Nice work" may not contribute much, but it is at least the equivalent of a like button and probably a lot better.  It is best when actual suggestions come in on how to improve things or on something to try next time.  I have been getting some of that on the thread for Rocket Leg designs and I am loving the input.  Made a new rocket because of the input and plan another new one because of continued comment.

I post a lot of what I make, sometimes with WIP pics and sometimes not.  I figure I am boring a lot of the people who probably are going "oh please not another one from you".  I am hoping to stir interest and provide inspiration.  Anyone who thinks someone like me posts as a marketing tool, probably doesn't realize that nothing sells via Brass Goggles.  I see BG as a teaching and learning and sharing place.  I am an old guy and want to pass on what I can while I can.

I also make it a point to comment on just about everything in Tactile.  Many times it is as simple as "Nice Work", but I feel it is important to actually show that I am doing more than just skimming the builds.

I have found a couple of times that suggestions are taken in the wrong way and the person becomes defensive.  This is sad.

One of the best ways to comment is to ask a question.  How is that made?  What material is that?  What gave you the idea? 

Anyone posting in a section their own work should post on the work of others.  As has been pointed out their are frequent posters in Tactile of their work who NEVER comment on others.

So please contribute.  Anything from "Nice" to a full page diatribe is preferred to doing nothing at all. And please ask questions.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: