The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 23, 2017, 02:51:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Calling all Brass Goggles of old?  (Read 4505 times)
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2015, 07:26:35 pm »

I seem to have a natural talent for upsetting people here so I often browse not logged in (guest).

Twice a day with something to say
, still watching with interest tho.

Dip your head beneath the parapit and observe through the arrow slit. Now and again.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 07:54:17 pm by SeVeNeVeS » Logged

Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2015, 01:56:07 pm »

I'll weigh in here.

Excellent.

Let's enjoy the way things are, and the people who are here with us now.

That's why I keep coming back.

Well absolutely. As I understand it (or at the very least this is how it was taught to me (and I have seen no evidence to contradict it)). All memories have three main consituent parts: People, time and place. The place remains constant (i.e. the forum), the people change as does the time in which those memories were formed. Alter any one and your making something new. It would presumptive to assume that if you recalled everyone, that you would make more memories on a parr with the old ones. Time, history, personal experience; whatever angle you wish to come at it from, is always changing and always will.

Nostalga is fine. but we are powerless to greatly replay past echos. Time will not let us and this is a good thing. Effort directed towards seeking out a greater new memory is time well spent.

Sorry, this is a little deep for Monday lunch time.

Maets
Immortal
United States United States

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2015, 06:08:33 pm »

My original thought was that coming to Brass Goggles or any website is a bit of a habit.  Sometimes for various reasons that habit gets broken and basically forgotten.  The idea was just to remind people that BG is still hear and they may want to check it out and see what is going on. 

No pressure, no pleading, no bribes, just a friendly reminder.

proteus
Devourer of Ugly Baked Goods
Administrator
Snr. Officer

Gravatar

brasstech
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2015, 06:22:48 pm »

I'm not a fan of spamming people with marketing messages, and a "Please come back" message is exactly that. Mass e-mailing the membership is reserved for very important messages (like when we were affected by the Heartbleed bug) that can't be targeted to specific people.

If we really think the community is shrinking to the point where we're worried about bugging people to come back, perhaps it's time to consider flipping the site into a read-only archive and calling it quits. It would certainly save a lot of money and management time...

--
"Politics and religion are just like software and hardware. They all suck, the documentation is provably incorrect, and all the vendors tell lies." — Andrew Dalgleish

How To Financially Support Brass Goggles — now with a subscription option!
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2015, 07:32:28 pm »

If we really think the community is shrinking to the point where we're worried about bugging people to come back, perhaps it's time to consider flipping the site into a read-only archive and calling it quits. It would certainly save a lot of money and management time...

NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOO!

But in all seriousness, please dear *insert deity here* NO! I don't want to sound desperate and/or pathetic here, but if BG did shut down, I'd probably drop off the radar (at least in terms of the SP community) almost entirely and given my current circumstances, lurking and posting here actually amounts to most of my social interaction and I really don't want to lose that.

I mean yeah as an online community we're getting smaller and admittedly traffic is slowing down but I don't think we've quite yet reached the stage where it's time to wrap things up. When we (or at least when I joined back in 2009) Steampunk was a little known niche subculture that when mentioned to anyone outside the community was met with a response of 'What?' and if I was talking to a new entrant I would almost immediately direct them here (if they didn't know about here), but now it's moved beyond that. Steampunk now, although still a niche interest is a lot better known and people who are interested in SP aren't going to stuff like google to find out more about it any more. I mean if you typed 'steampunk forum' or 'steampunk group' into a search engine you'd probably find BG within the top 5 results, but these days people are looking on Facebook for places like this.

I'm not going to deny that the migration of people and discussion to the book of Arses faces in line with their attempts to become to the be all and end all 'one stop shop' of online social interaction is a problem (however, I think the loss of several of our high profile and senior members, not to mention old mods is probably a bigger nail in the coffin that's being made ready), but the layout and structure of groups over on FB doesn't really encourage any serious interaction.

Just using the British Steampunk Community page as an example, unless you're checking it, and posting several times a day it's rather pointless as there's so many people posting such short one or two word responses (not to mention all the people who just try and plug their own events and stuff) it all just gets lost in the noise and most discussions disappear into the ether after a couple of days which means you get multiple people posting links to the same page and about the same news story or whatever 3 or 4 times inside a week before it disappears, only to reemerge a month or two later when someone else finds. And I simply don't want to be a part of that, admittedly I am a bit of a wallflower and don't tend to do/say a lot other than in the presence of people I know but it just doesn't feel right.

But I think the most important thing is to remember, the lid's not on the coffin yet!

I mean, I'm no tech guru or anything like that, but I think there are some ways to breathe some more life into the forum, perhaps raising our profile elsewhere (such as through the BG FB and twitter pages that were set up), and maybe we try to offer something that arsebook groups don't. Maybe someone could look at resurrecting the blog. I mean even if we just put our heads together and compiled a list of former or inactive members and a mod, or someone they know(IRL)/knew whilst they were active sent them a private email to try and coax them back it might help.

But, that's just my tuppence.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 10:04:04 pm by Madasasteamfish » Logged

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2015, 08:22:06 pm »

Shrinking we might be, but the truth is that we are still far healthier a community than our forum software was ever intended to support. Wink

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2015, 12:46:35 am »

Ha! You should see some of the other boards I'm on, chainmaille artisans receives about 2 posts a day. Hatventures gets more but it's mostly light conversational twaddle. OOlite has a hard core of posters but we have a passion for the subject matter.

Basically if we are gauging usefulness by "number of posts" then I'm afraid we are missing the vast majority of qualitative content simply because
thur-ant-enough-of-it.

There is quantity and there is quality, ladies and gentleman. One is NOT the other and whilst it's nice to have both, sometimes your forum is the road less travelled but travelled well by the few capable of appreciating it.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2015, 12:50:27 am »

After reading this thread and returning from the hospital emergency room due to the heart attack brought on by some of the comments, I'm going to just jump right in and speak for those of us who are newer to the forum. Please forgive my stumbling attempts to add to some of the thoughts expressed by earlier commenters who were much more eloquent than I.

Having been a member of various groups and organizations (all non-Steampunk), change is, as has already been stated, inevitable. Apparently, this is true also of online forums. I usually liken it to a band that you really got to know and love, and told all your friends about, but then eventually members of the original ensemble start to drift away to pursue other projects and interests, and new band members are added. It mostly still sounds the same, but there's a difference. They may not have quite the same vibe as they did before, and they perform newer material that, while good, doesn't quite give you that same familiar feeling you had when you knew all their lyrics by heart. They no longer play all the favorites you used to sing along to the car at the top of your lungs.

The thing to ask in this case is:  Is the band still good?

The lineup for the Chieftains I saw live in more recent years was a far different lineup from the group I started listening to back in *coughCOUGH*, but I still thoroughly enjoyed them. Other groups who have gone through similar transitions...not so much.

Applying this to the current discussion, is Brass Goggles still good? Does it still have value?

My answer, and again I say this with the caveat that I am a newer member, is a resounding YES! to both questions.

I first encountered Brass Goggles while researching a Steampunk topic, and quickly realized this forum offered so, so much more. Germaine to the original discussion of this thread, the poster of the thread that drew me here was someone who had become inactive before I got here. While initially disappointed, as I wished fervently for extended discourse with the poster, I discovered that this was not a new occurrence, and rather seemed the natural order of things. And, I quickly discovered, the person who drew me here might not still be available but the forum included so many other people with so many wonderful thoughts and ideas, both on and off the topic I originally pursued, that I could not help but stay.

It may not be the music that first caught my ear, but I rather enjoy the tunes being played now.

None of this would have been possible via social media, as stated previously. There's only so far "back" one can look at a subject on Facebook, and thus it is useless as an informational outlet. But here...HERE...it is like a library at my fingertips, filled with scholars, makers, thinkers who do not consider it beneath them to guide the novice towards the right stack of books, perhaps even to point out a specific book, then a page and paragraph within that book. None of that would be possible, nor even conceivable using social media, where the voice of one lonely soul in the wilderness would be drowned out by the voices of the multitudes of those seeking quick fixes, self-promotion, and imbecilic blather.

I sympathize with our older members, and understand the yearning for the golden years. But perhaps it is that you do not realize what a beacon you have been for us newer folk. Perhaps you do not understand the debt of gratitude that folk like me feel we owe you. Perhaps you do not realize that a vast number of people have been influenced in a positive fashion by you, people who would never have hung around Steampunk had it not been for you. Perhaps you do not realize that you, and what you do, matter.

To all the older members whose unflagging support and continued contributions have made Brass Goggles the preeminent place for Steampunk discussions and education, I say, thank you.

To all the moderators and administrators whose toil with inadequate tools and non-existent time keep Brass Goggles up and running, I say, thank you.

Never give up. Never surrender.
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2015, 01:01:16 am »

I'm with you brother, my band was Hawkwind. They may have a bad line up at times, but by god. They're still good.
jringling
Time Traveler

convicted Rogue and Vagabond…long story…

« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2015, 01:12:23 am »

Shrinking we might be, but the truth is that we are still far healthier a community than our forum software was ever intended to support. Wink

I can remember being surprised when we hit 10,000 members. What are we at now?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2015, 01:28:58 am »

I can remember being surprised when we hit 10,000 members. What are we at now?
I seem to recall that most of the difference was the result of a single Great Sweeping-Out.
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2015, 08:33:18 am »

After reading this thread and returning from the hospital emergency room due to the heart attack brought on by some of the comments, I'm going to just jump right in and speak for those of us who are newer to the forum. Please forgive my stumbling attempts to add to some of the thoughts expressed by earlier commenters who were much more eloquent than I.

Having been a member of various groups and organizations (all non-Steampunk), change is, as has already been stated, inevitable. Apparently, this is true also of online forums. I usually liken it to a band that you really got to know and love, and told all your friends about, but then eventually members of the original ensemble start to drift away to pursue other projects and interests, and new band members are added. It mostly still sounds the same, but there's a difference. They may not have quite the same vibe as they did before, and they perform newer material that, while good, doesn't quite give you that same familiar feeling you had when you knew all their lyrics by heart. They no longer play all the favorites you used to sing along to the car at the top of your lungs.

The thing to ask in this case is:  Is the band still good?

The lineup for the Chieftains I saw live in more recent years was a far different lineup from the group I started listening to back in *coughCOUGH*, but I still thoroughly enjoyed them. Other groups who have gone through similar transitions...not so much.

Applying this to the current discussion, is Brass Goggles still good? Does it still have value?

My answer, and again I say this with the caveat that I am a newer member, is a resounding YES! to both questions.

I first encountered Brass Goggles while researching a Steampunk topic, and quickly realized this forum offered so, so much more. Germaine to the original discussion of this thread, the poster of the thread that drew me here was someone who had become inactive before I got here. While initially disappointed, as I wished fervently for extended discourse with the poster, I discovered that this was not a new occurrence, and rather seemed the natural order of things. And, I quickly discovered, the person who drew me here might not still be available but the forum included so many other people with so many wonderful thoughts and ideas, both on and off the topic I originally pursued, that I could not help but stay.

It may not be the music that first caught my ear, but I rather enjoy the tunes being played now.

None of this would have been possible via social media, as stated previously. There's only so far "back" one can look at a subject on Facebook, and thus it is useless as an informational outlet. But here...HERE...it is like a library at my fingertips, filled with scholars, makers, thinkers who do not consider it beneath them to guide the novice towards the right stack of books, perhaps even to point out a specific book, then a page and paragraph within that book. None of that would be possible, nor even conceivable using social media, where the voice of one lonely soul in the wilderness would be drowned out by the voices of the multitudes of those seeking quick fixes, self-promotion, and imbecilic blather.

I sympathize with our older members, and understand the yearning for the golden years. But perhaps it is that you do not realize what a beacon you have been for us newer folk. Perhaps you do not understand the debt of gratitude that folk like me feel we owe you. Perhaps you do not realize that a vast number of people have been influenced in a positive fashion by you, people who would never have hung around Steampunk had it not been for you. Perhaps you do not realize that you, and what you do, matter.

To all the older members whose unflagging support and continued contributions have made Brass Goggles the preeminent place for Steampunk discussions and education, I say, thank you.

To all the moderators and administrators whose toil with inadequate tools and non-existent time keep Brass Goggles up and running, I say, thank you.

Never give up. Never surrender.

Hear hear!
Deviette
Deck Hand

« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2015, 12:09:52 pm »

I hope you don't mind me wading in with my opinion but having read the thread, I do feel that I have a bit of input that might be useful.

First off I've been a member of many forums, some are still going strong, and others have died the death, so most of my opinions are formed from what I’ve seen from these experiences (I am a serial lurker btw).

I've got to say, BG doesn't feel very inviting to new posters. Looking at the stats, we’re still getting plenty new members joining (it’s been about the same level since 2009) but the post count/new topics isn’t going up (actually it’s going down). The simple answer, new people aren’t posting.

Personally I feel a little bit like I don't know enough about SP for my opinion to be very valid on here. I'm not going to lie, most of you guys seem to know lots about SP and be massively into it. Me, I like the fashion and the style, but I'm not too about to change my house to a SP theme, and I'm not massively into reading SP stuff (a bit, but meh). You guys post a lot in the SP stuff, but not much in the off-topic area. Most SPers don’t go fully into it, maybe making it friendlier to other interests will keep people posting in the forum for other stuff making them more active for the SP stuff as well, just a thought.

Now, when I started writing this post, this next bit wasn’t going to be my main point, but now I’m just putting all my thoughts into a plausible read order, it actually does seem like it is. I’ve not edited the post, I let my thoughts make a sensible flow from one thought to the next, so it wiggles around a bit, but bear with it, it does make sense by the end:

There's too many pinned topics in each of the boards, seriously there’s 10 in metaphysical, 12 in Anatomical and at least 7 in some of the others (trading has 5 threads that are all about good/bad places to buy things from). Pinned topics should really be reserved for threads that are important, ones that everyone should have read, such as the boards rules or something similar. Just because it's a popular topic, doesn't mean it needs to be pinned. In fact quite the opposite, if it's popular then it'll stay at the top of the page anyway. If it doesn't get looked at and stops being popular it disappears down the list. Some of those topics are years old and the original posters have left the site a long time ago, so people replying to them will never get an answer from the original poster which can be a little disheartening. It very much remind you that you are new and not part of the group. That can be a right turn off. Besides, with some topics, if they vanish off then someone can make a new version of them. Someone who didn't know about the old one or have some different points. Yes, it means you have several threads for the same thing, but if they're years apart and the first one has vanished ages ago, is that really a bad thing? It means you don’t have to read through 30+ pages for a comment that someone may have made 4 years ago at is relevant you what you think.
Also, new topics mean people who have already commented on the old thread will post again, but with the 40+ pages ones, old users who have posted won’t. If they’ve discussed what they want to then they’ll ignore any new posts on it. More new topics = more new posts.

I think a key point is to make the forum feel new. If it feels new and current then people want to join and post. People don’t want to be on the old, or outdated piece of tech (even though that kinda epitomises SP) they want to know what the current SP people are up to, what’s really happening in the world of SP.
Threads like this actually do the reverse of what you want to do. Posts like this imply “it was better back when all these people were members” and not now, with a newer selection of members.

Think like this, why have websites such as myspace and bebo vanished, yet fb is still going strong, it’s almost just as old but it’s lasted much longer. Well that’s simple. It keeps reinventing itself (for better or for worse, whatever you feel, but it does). It still feels new. It still feels current. I’m not saying change the layout, change the functions, change everything. I’m just saying let go of the old things and let them spring anew. Pinned threads that are 4+ years old. Look at the topics that get the most action, and making a forum for them change around the forum and let it grow. You can’t assume that what was the right way of having the forum when it started is still relevant for your current member set.

Most forum’s I’ve lurked in have a life span of about 4-5 years before they really bite the dust. The ones that hold on either constantly keeps up to dates with the needs of their community, or slowly decline until they really do lose all their active members.

Something I did want to close on, is this:
Over the last couple of years I’ve seen an increase in hobbies and interests all over the internet moving to fb for their community hubs. The internet is an ever changing place. The way a forum worked in 3 years ago, isn’t how it necessarily works today. If you want people to join and use the forum, you’ve got to make it worth it. You’ve got to make it seem like this is the place to be.

Of course, all of this has been my own opinion, but I thought it may be helpful :/

Aaaaaah wall of text,  @_@
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 12:18:21 pm by Deviette » Logged
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2015, 03:03:18 pm »

Well, speaking as one of the new(er) members, I was undaunted by the older posts with 30+ pages, but then I was committed to doing the research.

And never, ever think that you don't know enough for your opinions to be valid here. And if you're not comfortable expressing an opinion, ask a question. I've found the membership here to be very helpful, informative, and forgiving (in that they tolerate questions that have been asked before and are willing to overlook {most of} the faux pas of the newer members). I would add that I would never have found that sort of support on any social media site.

As to the rest of your post, I'll leave those points to those here who've more experience than I.
Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain

https://rangerreid.wordpress.com/

« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2015, 11:59:37 pm »

I think the over-pinning is an interesting observation.   I agree it can create stagnation.   I moderate a different board, and unless the pinned topic is foundational, we rotate them out after activity dies in them.

Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2015, 12:24:19 am »

The number of pinned threads is an issue I've been mulling over for some time. It used to be a lot worse, I actually removed / unpinned a number of superfluous threads over the last couple of years.

It may be time for a hard pruning and possible condensing of the pinned threads... Undecided

I'll put the issue up in the moderators forum for discussion.

SS

[Server Prayer]
henrietta Devereux
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2015, 08:02:21 pm »

I've found the membership here to be very helpful, informative, and forgiving (in that they tolerate questions that have been asked before and are willing to overlook {most of} the faux pas of the newer members). I would add that I would never have found that sort of support on any social media site.

Actually Ravelry has got to be the most helpful and informative site but with over 4 million members and over 4000 on line at any one time it is not a model any other site I know of can emulate. Questions asked a million times before can be answered informatively and helpfully, when your cat is taken ill in the early hours of a bank holiday weekend, when you need info about unknown places, to know a reasonable hem length for your new sp dress, understand an american recipe or have a poorly lemongrass; Rav is there to help. They also help with questions about yarn.

We are on several sites about hobbies family history, industrial heritage, wood, gardening and yarn primarily and Rav is the one to turn to in an emergency. Most sites are naturally run by one or two enthusiasts and run their course in 2 or 3 years.

SP is not particularly active on Rav. Of the 20 steampunk groups; the largest, started 2008 currently has 2664 members, last post was 13 days ago about a hat for a comic con convention. The group most active is for listeners of the Brass needles podcasts.

Rav do keep all the old posts, sticky threads plus anyone can start a group or ask a question on any group.  Just like BG with bigger servers. The big difference is the discussion opens up in a myriad of different directions and tends towards chatty. Where else can you get your own Dr Who or 47 Spock patterns? How about this one http://totallee.net/spockpattern.php
Prof Thadeus Q. Wychlock
Zeppelin Admiral

What Watt ?!

« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2015, 06:19:29 pm »

Flying visit to weigh in.
Having thread the whole topic .......
1. I was surprised I wasn't on the MIA list Wink
2. Like a lot of people (i'm guessing), my interest in SP and BG waxes and wanes over time like a lot of my other interests.
3. I think the opinions expressed by the newer members is very interesting and whilst a lot of us old timers often weigh in on a topic, I'm guessing its really the newer members that have the most recent experience of what joining the BG forum is like. (SS - trim the pins Wink )
4. People come and people go and whilst I agree whole heartedly agree with the desire to keep the good ship BG afloat, I'm left wondering if the SP revolution that occurred (some years ago now !!) hasn't had its day and the number of members is on an inevitable decrease. This doesn't mean a terminal nosedive, merely a gradual settling to a lower level and therefore number of members.
5. I'm unsure about the mass email - I can see the case for and against.

Finally ......

6. I really really liked Maets's first post in this thread --> http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,46008.0.html
I felt it summed up a lot Smiley

Well thats my 2p worth Smiley
TQW

"In a world whose only quarrel with instant gratification is that it takes too long, we are practitioners of a dying art: patience."
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2015, 09:28:53 pm »

I did notice that Mr. Oakes logged in on the 2/9/15. Sent him a PM...and here is his reply:-

Thank you.

Who would have guessed that getting screwed over by Etsy and having to get a "real job" would see me back to doing the stuff I love?  Haha.  I am presently redoing the seafood department at the major chain grocery store I work at in Steampunk.

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
Theophania_Elliott
Gunner

Gravatar

« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2015, 10:49:18 pm »

Having been on this forum for all of four-and-a-half seconds, naturally, I have the right to get up and make suggestions regarding how I think the universe ought to be run.

As follows:
Sending out a mailshot would be a really bad idea. The forum is here. It's not hard to find. If people want to come back, they will. If they don't, they probably have a good reason (or a bad reason, but whichever, it's their reason, and they should be allowed to keep it). And as long as things aren't going down the pan, leave things the way they are.

The advantage that this forum has over Facebook is, as has been pointed out above, that it's a lot less fragmented. I'm a member of a Steampunk Facebook group, and, honestly, I'm not quite sure why. There are event notifications, yes, but since at the moment I don't have time to attend any of them... and the steampunk stuff gets mixed up with everything else. Whereas here, it's possible to have a good overview of what's going on. I can pick and choose what I look at. I browse down the list of unread posts and just look at the ones that take my fancy. Hard to do on Facebook. So, this forum is worth maintaining.

The problem of the sticky posts is a real one; there do seem to be rather a lot of them. I would suggest that one reason for that is that they have in them, somewhere, valuable information that someone does not want to risk getting pushed down out of sight, if the topic is not an active one. Any solution to the pinned-posts problem, therefore, must include a strategy to keep the information available.

Someone else has suggested that the blog be resurrected. I would concur. The blog could be used for the following:

1. A calendar of events, all in one place, so that the person looking for a steampunk event does not have to go hunting through threads on the fora for one, and then wonder whether it's a semi-private event, only for the few "in the know" or whether anyone can just show up. There's a link for 'calendar' on my menu bar, but if I click it, it just says "invalid year value", which is rather dispiriting.

2. Frequently Asked Questions. I suspect that some of the sticky posts would be better transmuted into FAQ format, or absorbed into forum rules.

3. Turning certain particularly interesting threads into blog posts, so that people don't have to trawl through dozens of posts in order to get the whole story.

Revitalising the blog might end up also revitalising the forum, since it would provide a more user-friendly source of information (thus attracting people to the forum once they'd found the blog), and would solve the sticky-threads question.

And since it's a bit off to suggest major changes and extra workload without also offering to help, if whoever is responsible for the blog (it used to be Proteus, judging by appearances) thinks that reactivating it would be a good idea, and would like a hand with it, I would be willing to help.

I spend most of my working week on the internet (FOR WORK!) so I've got a working knowledge of what is effective, from a user point of view, and what ought to be taken around the back and shot. Twice. I've also done a tiny little bit of website building, and I've worked with Wordpress as well. The parts of my working week I'm not on the internet (working!), I spend writing things for other people to read. And drinking coffee.

OK. That's it. /soapbox. Have a nice day, everyone.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2015, 04:41:07 pm »

...The advantage that this forum has over Facebook is, as has been pointed out above, that it's a lot less fragmented. I'm a member of a Steampunk Facebook group, and, honestly, I'm not quite sure why. There are event notifications, yes, but since at the moment I don't have time to attend any of them... and the steampunk stuff gets mixed up with everything else. Whereas here, it's possible to have a good overview of what's going on. I can pick and choose what I look at. I browse down the list of unread posts and just look at the ones that take my fancy. Hard to do on Facebook. So, this forum is worth maintaining...

I am in 100% agreement with you on all points.

...Someone else has suggested that the blog be resurrected. I would concur...

And, I'll add, this is long overdue. I tend to pass over forums and blogs that haven't been updated recently, as I automatically (if erroneously) presume they are out-of-date with nothing new to offer. (The most recent blog post--the Otto and Victoria cosplay--was new at about the time I joined the forum.)

...The blog could be used for the following:

1. A calendar of events, all in one place...

That would be the easiest and fastest way to keep the blog posts current, and thus show that the forum is relevant (for those people just casually perusing the aetherweb). Link to the appropriate thread in Geographical.

...2. Frequently Asked Questions. I suspect that some of the sticky posts would be better transmuted into FAQ format, or absorbed into forum rules.

3. Turning certain particularly interesting threads into blog posts, so that people don't have to trawl through dozens of posts in order to get the whole story...

I haven't thought about it long enough, so I can't offer an opinion on #2, but it sounds about right.

I don't know about using an entire thread as a blog post...Perhaps if there are sound, well-thought out and articulated posts to a thread...? But then, we would need to seriously consider what would or would not be worthwhile/beneficial for the "whole world" to see.

To Theophania_Elliott's suggestions for blog posts I'd like to add the following:

*About once a week or so, make a note of new threads/posts on the various boards. Providing a specific number would be onerous, so I'd suggest wording along the lines of, "There are new topics and/or posts in Geographical for the week beginning (ending?) September 8, 2015." Provide a link to the board.

*Call for member submissions for book, film, and music reviews. Give a tease (about a paragraph-and-a-half), then link to the appropriate thread in Textual or Aural/Ocular. (Note that these should more closely resemble an academic review of the work, and not, for example, a "book report". There are any number of good online references for formatting, length {a book review, for example, is usually not longer than 2-3 pages}, what to include or exclude, and so forth.) I would be happy to serve as an editor/proofreader of the submission before it is sent to the Mods for possible inclusion.

*Public notices. Calls for comments, such as where does the rocket pack thread belong, could be posted on the "front page" with a link to the appropriate thread. An example:  "Are you a Steampunk writer? Send a PM to GCCC for inclusion in the 'Relatively Comprehensive' lists of Steampunk works."
(Note:  Yes, I know they haven't been updated in a while. Trust me that, despite appearances, I am furiously updating my .docs so I can get them posted here. I'm also working on converting them to .pdfs so you'll only have to look at the new posts to see what was added. I want to be current before whatever this first surgery is going to be.)

I am confident other members will also be able to add even more suggestions for things that could go on the front page blog.

...And since it's a bit off to suggest major changes and extra workload without also offering to help, if whoever is responsible for the blog (it used to be Proteus, judging by appearances) thinks that reactivating it would be a good idea, and would like a hand with it, I would be willing to help...

Quick! Recruit her before she has a chance to think about it! Shocked
Major Vincent Smith
Eccentric Gentleman
Board Moderator
Snr. Officer

Vampyre Lord of the Twilight Overlord of Hellfire

jacknife98
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2015, 08:57:30 pm »

I'd also be happy to write for the blog Smiley

Spammers Flattened: 52
"Not on my watch!"
proteus
Devourer of Ugly Baked Goods
Administrator
Snr. Officer

Gravatar

brasstech
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2015, 01:01:48 am »

I'm happy to have help resurrecting the blog; I tried to keep up with it after most of the authors moved on, but well... I'm not so good at regularly blogging Smiley

The blog needs a technical cleanup and some general "housekeeping" work, but please start drafting! I'll put the housekeeping up next in the maintenance queue.
Major Vincent Smith
Eccentric Gentleman
Board Moderator
Snr. Officer

Vampyre Lord of the Twilight Overlord of Hellfire

jacknife98
« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2015, 07:05:08 am »

Didn't say I was great at being regular Tongue

EDIT: Also, we can probably now remove/archive the board for blog post ideas (Only us moderators can see that one) No need too, especially since only mods can see it, but it keeps the place tidy Smiley
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 04:12:17 pm by Major Vincent Smith » Logged
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2015, 01:31:18 pm »

^Need some fiber in the 'ol diet?

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: