The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 20, 2017, 02:31:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Calling all Brass Goggles of old?  (Read 4493 times)
Maets
Immortal
United States United States

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« on: June 25, 2015, 09:35:45 pm »

Doesn't the database contain email for all of the people who have ever signed up to BG? Has it ever been considered to do a mass email to those who have not visited the site recently and invite them to check in?

Just a thought.

Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

09madasafish
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 10:49:03 pm »

In theory yes. The problem is that included in that database are hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of spambots and other banned users who we are IMHO (speaking as a member NOT AS A MOD) far better off without.

I agree with the idea you're proposing in that we perhaps would benefit from enticing some older and inactive members back, but the difficulty is how to do it, simply due to the myriad of reasons we have lost members. A lot of them have of course been lost to the book of arses faces, but many others have left for reasons of personal interest, situations, circumstances, petulance (of both themselves and other members) and/or disputes. Although I do admit we do seem to becoming much more insular as a community, just sending out a generic, pleading email to any and all saying 'please come back, we miss you' will almost certainly not help matters.

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 12:17:22 am »

or  more a "Please  come back ... all is forgiven"  message to all and sundry
Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain

https://rangerreid.wordpress.com/

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 12:31:03 am »

or  more a "Please  come back ... all is forgiven"  message to all and sundry

Oh........   If you are going to send out one of those, could I have advance notice?   

I might want to get some naughtiness out of my system before the pardons are issued............

Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 02:43:51 am »

Seems like I am always getting emails from twitter to come back, but I haven't in years.  Must work some of the time. Easy to get out of the habit of going to a website like Brass Goggles.  Maybe it is just a matter of reminding them.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 04:22:13 am »

Doesn't the database contain email for all of the people who have ever signed up to BG? Has it ever been considered to do a mass email to those who have not visited the site recently and invite them to check in?

Just a thought.

What if we just narrow down the list by recounting by memory those older members? Too few?

Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 10:52:16 am »

I wonder if it would be a faus pas inviting Tinkergirl back to the forum she created?

I'm not down on the idea, I am unsure however if there is enough collective memory retained within the regular users and mods to adequately insure not opening a "pandoras box".
I must therefore (some what heavy heartedly) side with Da Fish.

Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 01:15:23 pm »

The site went active in 2007 and I didn't join 'til 2009.

Some of our Members had ceased being active, on here at least, before I even entered the community.

I know a few are active elsewhere and what their reasons are for not visiting this site anymore I couldn't hazard a guess.

But rather than emailing from this site perhaps more of a push on the various Steampunk Facebook pages to get those actually active NOW to pay a visit?

Or perhaps ask the questions; How many of you are aware of Brass Goggles, how many have stopped using Brass Goggles and why did you stop?

But 'can of worms' and 'hornet's nests' come to mind. Some people don't like 'rules'.

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 11:33:26 pm »

Is it time for an "Awareness Campaign " on the various social medias?

Time to get your " thinking caps" on  for a creative marketing plan

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2015, 11:45:59 pm »

Is it time for an "Awareness Campaign " on the various social medias?

Time to get your " thinking caps" on  for a creative marketing plan

Looks like a nice mind control device.  Why not just brain wash them into coming back?  Grin
henrietta Devereux
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2015, 08:44:04 am »

But rather than emailing from this site perhaps more of a push on the various Steampunk Facebook pages to get those actually active NOW to pay a visit?

Or perhaps ask the questions; How many of you are aware of Brass Goggles, how many have stopped using Brass Goggles and why did you stop?

But 'can of worms' and 'hornet's nests' come to mind. Some people don't like 'rules'.

Rather than chasing past members why not do a poll on BG asking current users what they like most, dislike most an would like to see more of on BG. Past users of BG will probably think the same and return.

I am a newbie and whilst searching for SP information BG must have appeared on every search. It seems unlikely awareness is a problem. My guess is a combination of people already on visage mag being able to access the information they want readily through those pages and the assumption of "another social media group going to fill my email account full of spam and sell my contact details to advertisers".

If people are already using the spam supremo kickyouintheface joining another page makes no difference so the question really is "what do they do better than BG?"

I love BG most for the ideas, creativity and humour.

I dislike most the underlying feeling that good manners require a proper introduction before joining in a thread. Being opinionated and more Dame Edith Evans "a haaaaandbaag" than Violet Wilt I do jump in, other people are better brought up and more polite. Threads on other SM I am on are a lot more relaxed about contributions.

Would love to see more details about WHAT IS ON. I do love the costume ideas but after getting a couple of acceptable outfits why continually drop in? A local group regularly post on BG and having limited mobility I spend more time online than most so I check for updates . As far as I can tell my most local group is not on BG. If it were not for Rockula I get the impression Asylum in Lincoln would not be getting a mention. I have no knowledge of other places.

Just throwing the idea into the ether for your consideration. I am probably in the minority.
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2015, 06:28:19 am »

I check in periodically.

What do we want? Decapitations!
markf
Goggleologist

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2015, 01:25:29 pm »

Ditto for me. Well, to be honest, since I'm approaching 365 days of BG on-line time since I joined in 2007, it may be more than periodically. markf

US ARMY-WORKING HARDER, NOT SMARTER. Steampunk Smart Car & Office Cubicle, Levitating Mossarium, Dive Pocket Watch; 1915 Wilson Goggles/Swing-Arm Monocular; Boiling Tube Lamp; Pocket Watch/Cell Phone; Air Kraken Augmentotron. http://sites.google.com/site/steampunkretrofuturedesignsmd
rod-on
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2015, 12:50:13 pm »

A while ago I posted this:

I’ve gone through the members and listed everyone with the rank of Zeppelin Admiral or better who have left the forum, or have not been active this year. Yes I know  the ranking system changes now and then ... but ... to achieve the title of Zeppelin Admiral you need to be an active member of the forum.  The list is surprising and disappointingly long.  Much longer than I would have suspected, yes people move on, and lots have, but these people were some of the leaders of this forum. I’d like to know why they are no more, and even more so, I'd love to see them return.

They include:  Outa_Spaceman, Tinkergirl, bizarre_chicken, clockwork creation, The Abiliegh, Darkshines, Von Gast, Josh of Vernian Process, Jemima Annabelle Clough, Dusza Beben, Nigel Wetherby, Lilibat, Vancouver Air Privateer, Violet Rose, Skinner, Mina, Dr. Hastings, AlegrahEredschtadt, Prof. Brockworth, Taillte, Difference Engineer, Rosel, Professor Lidenbrock, Delirium Datura, Baron Verndorf, Simon Hogwood, Emperor, The Infernal Mr Adams, B. Fugu, Arcwelder, MrFats, Pheobsky, Luella Dobson, Alain Raethorne, Ugo, SalieriAAX, Prof. Friedrich VonHart, PhD, Juxtimon, Arcturon the hobo, Alexander Edmund Clough, theMadTinker, JennyWren, SteamKit, David Godfrey Esq., Angel, Ella Kremper, Minjoltr, Maj. Clive Hathaway, Burr, Miles (a sailor)Martin, Acheron, Indefinitive, PockyNightmare, Herrington, ShredsnPatches, Pnakotus, Emmeline X, Gentleman-Adventurer, MPsy, Hester, Der Tinkermann, Mrs. Sullivan, Ampère Volt, Victoria The Mistress, E.A. Claringbold, Pec, CaptainPhania, Lucius Voltaic, JohnSix, Dr. Oliver Cross, Sgt.Major Thistlewaite, Nefthys, Nyte3, Violet Rose, Mad Maxine, Sir Theodore Catchpole, dman762000,Commander Obadiah, Doctor Trakov, Hikaro Takayama, Klynt Mahryd, KatarinaNavane, Vagabond GentleMan, Lady Corsair, Zwack, Hyren von Henry, OldProfessorBear, H. MacHinery, Miss Kins, Garingling and  Arceye.

and others posted this conversation:   http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,42955.50.html

but nothing has happened. 

A few "Veterans" have been found on fb, a couple have made brief appearances but there hasn't been a returning surge of the original backbone of Brass Goggles.  When things were new and exciting, when we were evolving when there were interesting arguments (and who can't love a good argument) ... Those were the days when this forum rocked ... those of us who left and those of us who remained were the core of this the light hearted  side of Steampunk.

If you know a veteran who used to be here I please suggest they make a return visit, toss their hat into the ring and see what dust it stirs up.  It could be great, at worst it will be interesting!

Go forth and hunt them down, I relish the Brass Goggles this used to be and what it could be again.
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2015, 02:29:53 pm »

A while ago I posted this:

I’ve gone through the members and listed everyone with the rank of Zeppelin Admiral or better who have left the forum, or have not been active this year. Yes I know  the ranking system changes now and then ... but ... to achieve the title of Zeppelin Admiral you need to be an active member of the forum.  The list is surprising and disappointingly long.  Much longer than I would have suspected, yes people move on, and lots have, but these people were some of the leaders of this forum. I’d like to know why they are no more, and even more so, I'd love to see them return.

They include:  Outa_Spaceman, Tinkergirl, bizarre_chicken, clockwork creation, The Abiliegh, Darkshines, Von Gast, Josh of Vernian Process, Jemima Annabelle Clough, Dusza Beben, Nigel Wetherby, Lilibat, Vancouver Air Privateer, Violet Rose, Skinner, Mina, Dr. Hastings, AlegrahEredschtadt, Prof. Brockworth, Taillte, Difference Engineer, Rosel, Professor Lidenbrock, Delirium Datura, Baron Verndorf, Simon Hogwood, Emperor, The Infernal Mr Adams, B. Fugu, Arcwelder, MrFats, Pheobsky, Luella Dobson, Alain Raethorne, Ugo, SalieriAAX, Prof. Friedrich VonHart, PhD, Juxtimon, Arcturon the hobo, Alexander Edmund Clough, theMadTinker, JennyWren, SteamKit, David Godfrey Esq., Angel, Ella Kremper, Minjoltr, Maj. Clive Hathaway, Burr, Miles (a sailor)Martin, Acheron, Indefinitive, PockyNightmare, Herrington, ShredsnPatches, Pnakotus, Emmeline X, Gentleman-Adventurer, MPsy, Hester, Der Tinkermann, Mrs. Sullivan, Ampère Volt, Victoria The Mistress, E.A. Claringbold, Pec, CaptainPhania, Lucius Voltaic, JohnSix, Dr. Oliver Cross, Sgt.Major Thistlewaite, Nefthys, Nyte3, Violet Rose, Mad Maxine, Sir Theodore Catchpole, dman762000,Commander Obadiah, Doctor Trakov, Hikaro Takayama, Klynt Mahryd, KatarinaNavane, Vagabond GentleMan, Lady Corsair, Zwack, Hyren von Henry, OldProfessorBear, H. MacHinery, Miss Kins, Garingling and  Arceye.

and others posted this conversation:   http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,42955.50.html

but nothing has happened. 

A few "Veterans" have been found on fb, a couple have made brief appearances but there hasn't been a returning surge of the original backbone of Brass Goggles.  When things were new and exciting, when we were evolving when there were interesting arguments (and who can't love a good argument) ... Those were the days when this forum rocked ... those of us who left and those of us who remained were the core of this the light hearted  side of Steampunk.

If you know a veteran who used to be here I please suggest they make a return visit, toss their hat into the ring and see what dust it stirs up.  It could be great, at worst it will be interesting!

Go forth and hunt them down, I relish the Brass Goggles this used to be and what it could be again.

I see your point, but I feel essentially it would do those who used to post a disservice to instigate a situation whereby they HAD to attend. Brassgoggles is at it's very core easy going. A militant stance on lack of attendance is the quickest way of turning a pleasure (even an occasional one) into a chore.

These things ebb and flow. No real need to rerun Canute's experiment on the bounds of authority.
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2015, 06:06:50 pm »

No real need to rerun Canute's experiment on the bounds of authority.

Awww, and I'd just booked myself a spot on Brighton beach for the weekend, and my throne's all nicely polished  Sad
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2015, 07:25:45 pm »

That must be an old list. I know Hikaro Takayama recently returned, (there are actually two of him now, but I've forgotten the other name she's using,) and was just on on Saturday; I see Old Professor Bear's name frequently in the "Who's Online" list, and I'm fairly certain Vagabond Gentleman stops in every now and again.

I say leave them alone. Either they'll come back on their own, or they won't. Meanwhile we're still seeing new humans registering, so our numbers are by no means dwindling.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2015, 12:41:29 am »

Our biggest physical (or virtual?) asset is the forum, but it's also our biggest drawback because it keeps us bottled in.  The solution to finding ok'd friends again is the same method we need to recruit new people, in my opinion.

I can't fathom trying to have a civil exposition of ideas on Facebook, because the format is so itensely schizophrenic.

On FB I simply could not write one of my "historical rants" or be as candid with my personal life as I am here. The forum is basically like a club.

On FB it is impossible to follow a "thread of ideas" especially when everyone you follow is allowed to "scream" different ideas at the same time and reorganize the time line.

On the other hand Facebook is very practical for connecting with people you know and perhaps people with similar interests find each other by way of common acquaintances.

For those of us with with moderators' access to the hidden sections of the forum, you will remember (or will discover) that we had a major fallout with a long time member over the maintenance of the Brassgoggles Facebook page.

I'm not sure who was at fault as the member in question (whom many of us know well), also threw what I would call a very "passionate tantrum" and kicked himself out of moderatorship (!)

Either way, people get angry and leave, and we could have handled the Facebook issue better IMHO.

Like it or not a lot of Steampunks use Facebook and Twitter. I know we currently hold both Facebook and Twitter accounts.

On another note, I'm also of the opinion that Steampunk is a primarily visual discipline.  The trick to attracting new members and perhaps pull old one's back into the ranks.

There are other tools we can use, and I've talked about then before (embeddable iFrames like Rebelmouse and such), whereby we could make an embedded presence on someone else's website if we wanted to.

Imagine having a visual palette of real time posts from all the important Steampunk forums... I'm talking pictures and videos primarily (I'm just throwing ideas around).
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 12:43:59 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2015, 10:16:52 am »

Awww, and I'd just booked myself a spot on Brighton beach for the weekend, and my throne's all nicely polished  Sad

Oh I do like to intimidate the sea side!
Oh I do like to intimidate the sea!
Oh I like shouting orders at the tide tide tide.
Commanding it to drop, but I'm denied, nied nied!
Foaming to a froth quite happily!
People stare, then run and hide.
while I'm ranting at the tide.
Command the sea side!
Command the sea!
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2015, 11:28:51 am »

Awww, and I'd just booked myself a spot on Brighton beach for the weekend, and my throne's all nicely polished  Sad

Command the sea side!
Command the sea!

While the brass band plays tiddly om pom pom....
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2015, 04:09:41 pm »

Command the sea side!
Command the sea!

While the brass band plays tiddly om pom pom....

Bravo, bravo *politely claps*

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2015, 07:20:19 pm »

I do like to be beside the seaside - Reginald Dixon

Oh I like shouting orders at the tide tide tide,
While the brass band plays:
"Tiddely-om-pom-pom!"

And there's lots of girls beside,
who stare, then run and hide,
Command the sea side!
Command the sea!

Grin

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2015, 03:55:58 pm »

By the gods. This could actually become a thing...... Cheesy

Ok it could be brushed up a little. There's a bit of syllable shoe horning going in there around the tiddly om pom pom line, but hey, I was rushed. Smiley

On the other hand stringent editing was undertaken I was considering writing "I'd be inside myself with glee" but I thought that might be a little "racy".
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 04:06:24 pm by Clym Angus » Logged
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2015, 03:08:08 am »

I'll weigh in here.

Thing is, different people leave for different reasons. Reading through the list above I can recognise a good many names and can remember just as many different reasons those people left. For many, it's simply that their interest waned over time while their interests elsewhere grew. That's the nature of these sorts of things. Many are still 'involved' in Steampunk, fleetingly or otherwise, but they simply don't feel it's worth their while to be here at BG given how little they're involved in Steampunk elsewhere.

And then there's a hundred other reasons some left.

People take ill

People don't have the time

People gravitate away from forums toward facebook

People stick around their local scene rather than the online community

People forget about the site

We could send a mass email, but at the end of the day there's too many situations where doing so would be rude. Some people left because of drama, and they've moved on from it. Us reminding them of it is poor conduct on our part. It's all well and good to be nostalgic for how things were and the people that used to be here, but at the end of the day times have changed.

And that's okay.

Let's enjoy the way things are, and the people who are here with us now.

That's why I keep coming back.

I think I should also mention I had a dream about this game, only Bailey was a woman...

I assure you, that incident in Singapore was all a misunderstanding.
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2015, 08:38:00 am »

What if we just narrow down the list by recounting by memory those older members? Too few?

"I'm NOT old!
and I'm not a woman."

yhs
prof (dennis) marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: