The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 19, 2017, 10:28:56 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brass Goggles running very slow  (Read 975 times)
Maets
Immortal
United States United States

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« on: June 24, 2015, 11:35:52 pm »

Brass Goggles seems to be running very slow today.  Every other site I have gone to loads very quickly, but for some reason, BG is slow.  Is everything ok?

Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 11:54:07 pm »

Nothing unusual I've noticed today, though I've been having some unexplained issues with BG loading times for several weeks (only affecting BG too, oddly enough...)  Undecided

So....uh....dunno.  Roll Eyes

Anyone else seeing issues?

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain

https://rangerreid.wordpress.com/

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 12:04:24 am »

Seems fine to me.................   

von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 12:34:21 am »

It has occasionally and unpredictably been slow to load a page (except for certain administrative tasks, which have been consistently and very predictably slow. Wink) For some reason this behaviour makes me think of contention for database access or something like that. How often does the database get vacuumed?

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 12:48:30 am »

It has not been consistent.  Actually slower than normal for a few days.  Today seemed worse, but then this just loaded quickly.
Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain

https://rangerreid.wordpress.com/

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 12:50:19 am »

Maybe I have had good timing on my side.    Intermittent issues are the worst...........
proteus
Devourer of Ugly Baked Goods
Administrator
Snr. Officer

Gravatar

brasstech
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 06:28:53 pm »

Intermittent slowness generally happens for one of a few reasons:

• New spammer/attacker has found us and is probing/mapping. I have security tools to detect and stop these, but they don't work instantly or 100% of the time (else I'd be rich!)
  • Database/server backup scripts happen to run during an unexpectedly busy period. They're scheduled for slow time, but busy isn't always predictable
  • Someone else in the data center is getting DoSsed, which slows our bandwidth and/or makes your connections drop because it makes the router we're behind slow. Again, this gets corrected by the data center, but it's not instant
  • Someone else is doing something very disk-intensive -- our DB is on a disk that's part of a SAN (it's shared with other customers of the hosting company). This is usually great, but every once in a while...

I have performance monitors running, and nearly every time they alarm it boils down to one of these things. Occasionally, it's the result of a web server thread locking up and I have to go kill it. Because SMF is shitty software...

--
"Politics and religion are just like software and hardware. They all suck, the documentation is provably incorrect, and all the vendors tell lies." — Andrew Dalgleish

How To Financially Support Brass Goggles — now with a subscription option!
von Corax
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2015, 12:21:14 am »

Adding a ban trigger consistently takes around 70 seconds and 20 database queries; my gut tells me there's some serious lock contention going on there. Is there an opportunity to do some performance tuning on the database?
proteus
Administrator
Snr. Officer

Gravatar

brasstech
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 09:22:55 pm »

The ban triggers issue isn't a database config problem, it's that the people who wrote the ban system didn't imagine having more than a few thousand bans triggers. It's inefficiently _designed_, and there's not much I can do about it except replace the forum software. Which will, eventually, happen.
von Corax
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 10:35:17 pm »

I was actually thinking of the database schema design rather than the runtime config; depending on what DBMS we're using there still might be some simple changes that would produce significant improvements.
proteus
Administrator
Snr. Officer

Gravatar

brasstech
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2015, 10:26:47 pm »

Yeah, I can't easily change schema without screwing up our upgrade paths and such, and the schema for the ban system is awful. We run MySQL under the hood, and it's fairly well optimized config-wise, but no amount of optimization can fix the way the ban system is built, sadly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: