The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 11, 2017, 06:46:24 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Pics of Homemade Crossbow!  (Read 3080 times)
savatreatabvr
Deck Hand
United States United States

« on: June 21, 2015, 03:49:21 pm »

MODERATOR'S NOTE: This thread originally included a rather heated argument between two members. As this argument contained language deemed unacceptable by the Moderators and contributed nothing to the subject of the thread, it has been edited out, and several posts have been modified from their original form.

Finally finished! I've seen steampunk weapons and fantasy type weapons before but nothing like this crossbow, it is a highly polished aluminum and brass Barnett Commando with a handcrafted steel prod! Not just for looks, this thing is fully functional and deadly! I thought I'd share this crossbow with people who can appreciate the workmanship that went into it. Here are a few pics....

« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 07:49:19 am by von Corax » Logged
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 03:57:23 pm »

I really like that! I take it this is your own handywork?

Could you show a better pic of the butt if poss'

Nice........... Really nice...........

Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain

https://rangerreid.wordpress.com/

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 04:35:07 pm »

want!!!!!!

savatreatabvr
Deck Hand

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 10:05:22 pm »

want!!!!!!

I love this crossbow, I get rave reviews from everyone who touches it but it can be bought for the right price!
Prof. Isambard Ravenwood
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Paddle faster, I hear Banjos...

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 11:27:06 pm »

Yes, it is pretty, but having the whole thing highly polished brass is not really all that steampunk […]. Decorate it with some pipes, gears and STEAM tanks (technology based on steam?!?!?!) and it would be more steampunk, perhaps some engraving and curly bits in a true Victorian style. […]

« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 01:07:23 am by von Corax » Logged

I don't know why I have to learn algebra... I have no intention whatsoever of ever going there...

"Uh-uh. I know what you're thinking. Did he discharge 6 chambers, or was it only 5? Well, I rather forgot myself, what with all this excitement and all. But seeing that this is a .45 Civiliser, the most powerful hand-cannon in the Empire, and will blow your goggles clean off, you ought to ask yourself a question. Do I feel lucky?

"Well, do you... steampunk?"
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 12:00:23 am »

I must admit that I fail to see anything steampunk about this crossbow.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 02:11:52 am »

Deleted by Moderator

If you ask ten people "What is Steampunk" you will receive twenty different, mutually-contradictory answers, some of which will be defended with undue vehemence. While there are guidelines as to what is or is not Steampunk, there are no actual rules, and ultimately what matters most is your own personal definition.

I, for one, look forward to seeing what else your personal vision can produce.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 01:10:00 am by von Corax » Logged

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
savatreatabvr
Deck Hand

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 02:39:16 am »

Deleted by Moderator

If you ask ten people "What is Steampunk" you will receive twenty different, mutually-contradictory answers, some of which will be defended with undue vehemence. While there are guidelines as to what is or is not Steampunk, there are no actual rules, and ultimately what matters most is your own personal definition.

I, for one, look forward to seeing what else your personal vision can produce.

Thank you for the encouragement! This is exactly what I thought members should do!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 01:11:26 am by von Corax » Logged
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2015, 03:37:08 am »

A touch of wood and a brass sight...nothing else.
...oh, except WIP shots, yes, lots of those! Wink

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
savatreatabvr
Deck Hand

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2015, 05:19:43 am »

A touch of wood and a brass sight...nothing else.
...oh, except WIP shots, yes, lots of those! Wink

The brass scope is an excellent idea! The scope that's on it now is the 2nd one, the first I ruined by trying to strip the gun bluing off and polishing the bare metal. Obviously didn't work lol, so scope #2 stayed black. WIP shots?
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2015, 06:07:35 am »

When a project comes along,
You must WIP it.
Before the toolmarks are all gone,
You must WIP it.
When there's something going on,
You must WIP it.

Now WIP it
Into shape
Shape it up
Get straight
Go forward
Move ahead
Try to detect it
It's not too late
To WIP it
WIP it good!

(That's "Work In Progress," if you haven't heard the term before.)
savatreatabvr
Deck Hand

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2015, 07:48:01 am »

When a project comes along,
You must WIP it.
Before the toolmarks are all gone,
You must WIP it.
When there's something going on,
You must WIP it.

Now WIP it
Into shape
Shape it up
Get straight
Go forward
Move ahead
Try to detect it
It's not too late
To WIP it
WIP it good!

(That's "Work In Progress," if you haven't heard the term before.)

LOL! Devo! Got it!
SouthernGothic
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2015, 10:37:27 am »

Steampunk?  Well maybe/maybe not.   Dieselpunk?  Absolutely and totally beyond cool!

I would play the up polished aluminum and almost art deco look of this piece.  It is a unique work and shows incredible craftsmanship.

I can see it as the main weapon for a 1930's airship where such a non-explosive weapon would be of benefit to a hydrogen filled dirigible.

Give me a fedora, a leather jacket(and some hair) and this crossbow and I am ready for adventure.
I really am quite taken with it.  The beauty of this piece is in its refined and streamlined simplicity of form.

The idea of a brass scope sounds delightful.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 12:46:52 pm by SouthernGothic » Logged
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2015, 12:35:40 pm »

It's shiny I like shiny.

It has a Martian aesthetic to it which I find very appealing. I feel gentlemen, that it could be argued that some of us are making too many statements and not asking enough questions? In so doing certain people could be accused (rightly or wrongly) of attempting to chalk up some nice easy victories that flatter fleeting vanity, more than they serve any other good purpose?

See? Questions. Not statements. Smiley

I like it. It has the clean lines of postulated science fiction from around the turn of the century. I would have looked forward to this gentleman's future works posted here. It would appear that I'm in distinct danger of having to book mark him instead. I'm useless with bookmarks I keep loosing the bloody things.

As a side note. I found savatreatabvr answers to be fairly "punk". I like a man who doesn't just sit there and take a beating. Can't get much more Steampunk than that.

(Arrogant? (well that's open to debate, enthusiastic certainly) but I'd be bloody "arrogant" if I'd had to hand file that much sodding metal! Also what's wrong with admitting your bloody brilliant every once in a while eh? It keeps the melancholies at bay. Natures own antidepressants; Occasionally admitting your genius!)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 12:47:08 pm by Clym Angus » Logged

SouthernGothic
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2015, 12:58:00 pm »

@Clym Angus

Excellent reply sir.  I do very much like the idea that this could be Martian technology and therefore a bit ahead of our steampunk period.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 12:47:04 pm by SouthernGothic » Logged
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2015, 01:45:58 pm »

It is the yin and yang of it all that makes it so interesting in the first place.
It is heartening to see the even thoughts of calm minds but no one's going to back away from a bloody good shoeing.
Tally-ho!
Silk Willoughby
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2015, 02:23:35 pm »

As the proud owner of several crossbows - both re-enactment and seriously vicious - I am most interested in the way you have strung this beastie of yours. Does the tension come from the bow or the wire? With all my bows the tension  and draw weight comes from the compound make up of the bow, but it looks like you have put something on the string - more detail pleeeaaaase!!!
Also you say it is lethal - do you have any idea of the draw weight?

I am drawing up plans for my own crossbow - it's about no. 496 on my to do list  Roll Eyes and the bow is my main stumbling block.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 02:32:26 pm by Silk Willoughby » Logged

In the jungle town where the sun beats down to the rage of man and beast
The English garb of the English sahib merely gets a bit more creased.
In Bangkok at 12 o'clock they foam at the mouth and run
But mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the mid-day sun.
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2015, 02:31:32 pm »

I too am quite interested in the nature of your tension sir. What precautions, are employed into making sure that any metal deformations that might occur err on the side of "elastic"?
Getting half a bowstave in the face (even after a few hundred firings) would be most unfortunate.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 02:35:19 pm by Clym Angus » Logged
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2015, 06:47:49 pm »

[…]

It is a beautiful crossbow, but I would agree that it doesn't scream steampunk.  Saying something is not very steampunk is not saying it is a piece of crap. It is just saying it doesn't fit the steampunk ideal of the viewer. There are of course things that are amazing works that are not at all steampunk and things that are VERY steampunk, but not very good otherwise. ie glue a cog etc.

One of the great things about Brass Goggles is the give and take is generally in a gentlemanly tone.  Hopefully we can keep it that way.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 01:16:47 am by von Corax » Logged

savatreatabvr
Deck Hand

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2015, 07:11:02 pm »

I too am quite interested in the nature of your tension sir. What precautions, are employed into making sure that any metal deformations that might occur err on the side of "elastic"?
Getting half a bowstave in the face (even after a few hundred firings) would be most unfortunate.

I jumped the gun by saying it was steampunk and it was finally finished. I was hoping to get steampunk approval but I've got a lot to learn. Interesting enough, in the beginning this crossbow was meant to be a prop, kind of a conversation piece to hang on the wall. The more the project progressed the more I saw the potential this crossbow possessed. The original prod was a 175lb draw weight but I wanted something more powerful, that could be polished and look more steampunk so I handcraft a prod out of a golf cart leaf spring. If anyone has ever done such a project you'll know how much time plus blood, sweat and tears goes into handcrafting a such a thing.

Anyways, after cutting, grinding, filing, sanding, quenching and polishing I got what I wanted. I don't have a hanging scale to accurately determine the draw weight but comparing it to the original 175lb prod and my old 220lb prod I'm thinking it's pushing 220lbs plus.The reason I used a steel cable for a string was for looks but after shooting it a few times I figured I'm not hunting with it and I'm not a competition archer so it's good enough for my purpose.

The only thing I'm dealing with now it the angle of the prod and string to the brass flight rails, I want the string to just barely touch the rails so I'm fine tuning with some steel shims and spacers.

All in all yes I'm very proud of the way this crossbow turned out, I'm aloud to show confidence and excitement and if you don't approve of it feel free to express your opinion with constructive criticism and encouragement.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 01:22:28 am by von Corax » Logged
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2015, 10:51:10 pm »

(snip)

...but it looks like you have put something on the string - more detail pleeeaaaase!!!

(snip)

Vibration dampers I presume?

I have to agree it's very art-deco, and definitely eye-catching; it would certainly be a talking point at my archery club. Not one for hunting or covert action - too easy for a flash of light to be reflected from the metal. Quite the opposite, it screams 'look at me'! In the context of a Stampunk/Diselpunk/fantasy scenario it is one for showing off; it seems to make the statement "I've this powerful bow, do you really want to pick a fight?" I concur a brass or chrome sight would be more in keeping, and maybe thinking of some way to make it (the sight) look less modern...

Yours,
Miranda.
Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain

https://rangerreid.wordpress.com/

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2015, 11:04:44 pm »

I like it.  I could easily imagine a gleaming metal automaton standing guard over a moutain pass, never moving until someone creeps by.  He calls a challenge, and if the right response fails, gears grind, he moves and fires.

By itself, gears might improve.  But as part of an over a image, I like the clean simplicity.

SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2015, 11:06:04 pm »

it looks like you have put something on the string - more detail pleeeaaaase!!!

Not being a crossbow expert here, I thought the two shiny bits on each side of the string were merely wire clamps to keep the string taught and prevent slipping under tension. Undecided
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2015, 11:08:17 pm »

...but it looks like you have put something on the string - more detail pleeeaaaase!!!

Cable clamps.
savatreatabvr
Deck Hand

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2015, 02:37:17 am »

it looks like you have put something on the string - more detail pleeeaaaase!!!

Not being a crossbow expert here, I thought the two shiny bits on each side of the string were merely wire clamps to keep the string taught and prevent slipping under tension. Undecided

That's exactly what the are. $0.90 each at ACE HARDWARE.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: