The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 16, 2017, 12:00:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk Dollhouse  (Read 2054 times)
steiconi
Gunner
United States Minor Outlying Islands United States Minor Outlying Islands

« on: June 18, 2015, 12:56:59 am »

I'm collecting ideas and supplies to do a steampunk dollhouse.  I've seen tons of stuff on google and pinterest, but thought y'all might have different suggestions.

The project will be 1/2" to 1 foot scale (aka 1:24), so things will be pretty small; a 6' tall person will be 3" tall in this scene.  This is a challenge in itself, since I usually work in 1” scale; everything looks much too small!

I'm starting with this dollhouse kit 

I plan on adding a boat hull, wheels, and a hot air balloon.  Oh, and maybe a fish-fin rudder thingie somewhere, and a cowcatcher, a bowsprit, and possibly a single front wheel steered by a tiller. I have some lovely chandelier arms for the tiller.

Normally, I would remove the funky tabs (the oval things on roof and back) that hold the house together, but they look kind of industrial; I think they'll become stanchions to secure the balloon, or tethers for safe transit up the outside of the building.

As you can see, I've got lots of ideas, but would love more; I can sort through them as I go and discard the impractical, unworkable and just-too-hard.  It's better to start with all the options, it can be a pain to change things halfway through.

What should I absolutely include in this?  I think an artificer/inventor lives in the house, so I can make tiny clockwork-looking things. There will be 4 or 5 rooms all together; I'm planning a workshop/lab, parlor/study, and a bedroom. The hull will probably hold the boiler and have space for more. What other rooms do you think are essentially steampunk?

Also, we have a musical theme for the 2018 show, and I need to come up with a few songs that go with the piece.   I‘ve got "Just Glue Some Gears on It and Call It Steampunk" to help educate people about the aesthetic, but could use a couple others.

Thanks!
Lee
Maets
Immortal
United States United States

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 01:08:21 am »

Looks like it will be an interesting project. Following with interest.

Colonel Hawthorne
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 02:33:50 am »

I too will follow this with great interest.  That's a fascinating house to base it on.

Good thinking about the lumps on the roof.  My first thought was 'airship tethers', so we are essentially of one mind.

The inventor will probably need a white coat hanging in the lab/workshop.  Beyond that, your ideas far exceed anything that occurs to me.  I'll look forward to seeing your progress.

Colonel Sir Julius Hawthorne
H.M. Air Privateers (Retd.)

http://capitalsteampunknz.org

Whatever did we do before retro-futurism?
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 12:00:41 pm »

A few thoughts to begin with.
Some of the windows could be stained glass.
A steampunk weather vane for the top of the house. Perhaps designed to use wind power for some interesting device.
You could look at paddle steamers for a water powered effect. Also for decor.
A conservatory could be added if you want plants but don't want a garden.
A music room or just some musical instruments in the parlour
If you are going for Steampunk Gothic take a look at Charles Addams cartoons.  The T.V. series The Addams Family, and the animated series for their mobile home.  The films The Addams Family and Addams family values.  The Munsters  and 1313 Mockingbird Lane. From The Wacky Races car Number 2 The Creepy Coupe, driven by The Gruesome Twosome, a car with a belfry which housed a dragon, several bats and various ghouls and ghosts.

A song you might use is The Stately Homes of England by Noel Coward.
chironex
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

The typing jellyfish monster

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 12:25:28 pm »

Dollshouse and Miniature Scene magazine has had a series of steampunk articles lately:
http://www.collectors-club-of-great-britain.co.uk/Store/Dolls-House-and-Miniature-Scene-December-2014-issue-246/_prod2874

Orkses is never beaten in battle. If we wins we wins and if we dies we dies fightin' so it don't count as beat. Even if we runs away it means we can always come back for anuvver go, see!

QUEENSLAND RAIL NOT FOR SALE!!!!!!
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 07:48:44 pm »

I'm collecting ideas and supplies to do a steampunk dollhouse.  I've seen tons of stuff on google and pinterest, but thought y'all might have different suggestions.

The project will be 1/2" to 1 foot scale (aka 1:24), so things will be pretty small; a 6' tall person will be 3" tall in this scene.  This is a challenge in itself, since I usually work in 1” scale; everything looks much too small!

I'm starting with this dollhouse kit 

I plan on adding a boat hull, wheels, and a hot air balloon.  Oh, and maybe a fish-fin rudder thingie somewhere, and a cowcatcher, a bowsprit, and possibly a single front wheel steered by a tiller. I have some lovely chandelier arms for the tiller.

Normally, I would remove the funky tabs (the oval things on roof and back) that hold the house together, but they look kind of industrial; I think they'll become stanchions to secure the balloon, or tethers for safe transit up the outside of the building.

As you can see, I've got lots of ideas, but would love more; I can sort through them as I go and discard the impractical, unworkable and just-too-hard.  It's better to start with all the options, it can be a pain to change things halfway through.

What should I absolutely include in this?  I think an artificer/inventor lives in the house, so I can make tiny clockwork-looking things. There will be 4 or 5 rooms all together; I'm planning a workshop/lab, parlor/study, and a bedroom. The hull will probably hold the boiler and have space for more. What other rooms do you think are essentially steampunk?

Also, we have a musical theme for the 2018 show, and I need to come up with a few songs that go with the piece.   I‘ve got "Just Glue Some Gears on It and Call It Steampunk" to help educate people about the aesthetic, but could use a couple others.

Thanks!
Lee

Wow, I'd like that house - do they full it full-size?  Wink

If I was following my personal preference, I think I'd steer the inventor towards the mad scientist end of the spectrum, and have something wrapped in bandages being built in the attic...

Yours,
Miranda.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 09:42:51 pm »

There needs to be a telescope sticking out the top window of that front tower.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2015, 09:53:01 pm »

Grandpa sitting on a steampunked rocking chair.
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2015, 09:53:30 pm »

If I was following my personal preference, I think I'd steer the inventor towards the mad scientist end of the spectrum, and have something wrapped in bandages being built in the attic...

Yours,
Miranda.

Making a man, with With blonde hair and a tan?...  Grin

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
steiconi
Gunner

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2015, 11:44:56 pm »

What a lot of great ideas!
mad scientist--yes indeed!  With labcoat.
making a man...I ordered a pair of those wooden articulated artists models.  4.5" tall (11cm) to become 9 foot tall mechanical minions.
telescope; that front tower room was going to have a bathtub, but she could be watching the stars from the tub.
stained glass windows--with tentacles and things
conservatory:  I bought this tacky "wine cork barrel" at the thrift store the other day because it looked steamy AND was filled with champagne corks, which I love to accumulate but don't actually use much.  However, wouldn't the barrel make a great conservatory?  After removing the vines and leaves and things. Thanks for the idea!

thanks, and keep those ideas coming!
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2015, 12:16:02 am »

Dolls houses have certainly changed since I was a child!
Being one of the least doll-oriented children ever, I'm surprised the adults (probably the step- adults) in the family thought it a suitable Christmas gift - along with a 3' bride doll as tall as I was at the time! This one may have changed my mind!
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2015, 06:22:53 pm »

(snip)

Making a man, with With blonde hair and a tan?...  Grin

I was thinking more 1930s Universal Horror... It' been ten years sincle we've been to the Rocky Horror Show, as that was the last time our eldest would submit to having a baby-sitter! Still, she's 13 now so in a few years she'll be doing the baby-sitting for the youngest  Cheesy

Back on topic, another thought. Obtain one of those mechanical spiders tou see around Halloween. Strip off the skin to expose the mechanism, spray the plastic cogs brass and copper and set it up a guard robot for the house.

I must say I'm very much looking froward to seeing the finished article.

Yours,
Miranda.
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2015, 08:11:24 pm »

What a lot of great ideas!
mad scientist--yes indeed!  With labcoat.
making a man...I ordered a pair of those wooden articulated artists models.  4.5" tall (11cm) to become 9 foot tall mechanical minions.
telescope; that front tower room was going to have a bathtub, but she could be watching the stars from the tub.
stained glass windows--with tentacles and things
conservatory:  I bought this tacky "wine cork barrel" at the thrift store the other day because it looked steamy AND was filled with champagne corks, which I love to accumulate but don't actually use much.  However, wouldn't the barrel make a great conservatory?  After removing the vines and leaves and things. Thanks for the idea!

Love the mechanical minion idea.  A lightning collector of some sort would be helpful for supplying power.  As would a steam engine of some sort.  The mechanical spider mentioned could also run a turnspit (gerbil wheel) type generator.
The barrel would also make a great cage for air Kraken or other "Things in cages"  Perhaps combined with a venus fly trap if he really is a mad scientist.

Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2015, 06:15:49 am »

yes, glass ball and copper or brass rod on the roof with a substantial cable running down to the lab.

don't forget the walls, got to have those vibrant Victorian painted walls!

if they're not too big, take an LED votive candle and make it a cloth covered table with an oil lamp in the middle. some metal bead pieces for the lamp body and the rubber candle flame snipped a bit to look like the chimney. stick it in a dark library with loads of bookshelves built into the walls. add a little ouiji board to the table and maybe a crystal ball instead of the lamp.
Crescat Scientia
Zeppelin Captain

Fabricator and temporally confused.

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2015, 05:11:11 pm »

I love this idea and can't wait to see what people do with it.

I work in a tabletop roleplaying game scale, even smaller than this.  A person is one inch tall in that scale.

I'm planning to get some of the pretty houses from this Steampunk Kickstarter and possibly make them up into ultra-minuscule dollhouses:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/renaissanceminiature/victorian-steampunk-terrain-and-road-river-tiles-i/description

Living on steam isn't easy.
-- Jessica Fortunato

Have you heard?  It's in the stars, next July we collide with Mars.
-- Cole Porter

That's not sinister at all.
-- Old family saying
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2015, 08:55:58 pm »

The great thing about 1/24th scale is that it takes up so much less room.  I have a small village in 1/24th on a windowsill; couldn't do that in 1/12th! in fact in that scale I have to restrict myself to room boxes and I'm running out of space for them.  In fact one of the houses is actually in a boat hull, which I think was originally intended as a small shelf unit.  I love the idea of adding a hot air balloon; have you considered 'lifeboats' or balloon dinghies for sky to ground transport?

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2015, 11:30:03 pm »

Miranda T, about liking the house - I have a book of house plans about the place somewhere, all from 19th century America. Some of them are 'American Gothic' style. I will try & find it and get the title and other details for you. You never know, one day you might be able to build your own Addams Family mansion!
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2015, 12:27:04 am »

The great thing about 1/24th scale is that it takes up so much less room.  I have a small village in 1/24th on a windowsill; couldn't do that in 1/12th! in fact in that scale I have to restrict myself to room boxes and I'm running out of space for them.  In fact one of the houses is actually in a boat hull, which I think was originally intended as a small shelf unit.  I love the idea of adding a hot air balloon; have you considered 'lifeboats' or balloon dinghies for sky to ground transport?

Those villages sound exquisite - please post up a picture!

Miranda T, about liking the house - I have a book of house plans about the place somewhere, all from 19th century America. Some of them are 'American Gothic' style. I will try & find it and get the title and other details for you. You never know, one day you might be able to build your own Addams Family mansion!

Thank you - and yes, I'd love the Addams Family home! I keep thinking how nice it would be to put a turret over our car-port, but unfortunately I think the neighbours would object  Roll Eyes

Yours,
Miranda.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2015, 07:18:47 am »

I keep thinking how nice it would be to put a turret over our car-port, but unfortunately I think the neighbours would object  Roll Eyes
Just mount a death ray in one of the windows; neighbours seem to like those. No-one has ever complained about mine for some reason.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2015, 10:42:15 am »

Your death ray or your turret, von Corax? Grin
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2015, 03:09:59 pm »

Those villages sound exquisite - please post up a picture!

Yours,
Miranda.

Thank you. I haven't got any pictures, but I will try and take some, then try and upload them, then try and get them on here.
Actually it's nothing short of a miracle that I have any presence here at all, given my total ineptitude with all things IT, so please bear with me. (Did I say, firstly I've got to disinter my camera from wherever I put it when I was unpacking?)
However that will have to wait as my husband has just offered to take me out for tea and cake ..... (and I wouldn't like to disappoint him)

Best wishes
Cora
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2016, 01:32:47 am »

If there's a place for a widow's walk, place a harpooner there to combat the land kraken attacking the house.
steiconi
Gunner

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2016, 08:51:31 pm »

Sorry I haven't posted, life got in the way.
But I'm finally getting some work done on this--wallpaper!
I've even forgotten how to post pictures here...looks like I have to host them elsewhere...

one of the mechanical minions is going to fly;
started with :

is currently:

and wing framework:

Newchurch
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2016, 09:33:32 pm »

Wonderful project.

Might there be space for cellars too?  For storing essentials, such as coal, wine, and Things (in jars).
steiconi
Gunner

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2016, 10:12:46 pm »

not a cellar, but a hull.  Haven't quite figured out what's going in there, but I'm thinking a round hatch in the side that slides back on tracks.
room for barrels and crates and spare parts and UFOs (UnFinished Objects).  Just like real life!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: