The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 21, 2017, 02:57:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Langham Hotel celebrates 150 years  (Read 1686 times)
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: June 11, 2015, 12:04:27 am »

Billed as London's first "Grand Hotel", it is exactly 150 years since the Langham began serving the whims of the rich and famous.

The hotel, which claims to have invented the tradition of the afternoon tea, was opened by the Prince of Wales - later Edward VII - on 10 June 1865.

It became renowned for what were at the time luxury touches, such as electric lighting and hydraulic lifts.

Over the years, the Langham has played host to many notable guests, including the exiled French emperor Louis-Napoleon III, Charles Dickens, one of the "Cambridge Five" spies Guy Burgess and his wartime employer, the BBC.

The hotel sought to attract well-heeled guests and ensured staff members were immaculately dressed at all times. The five men pictured above were waiters.

During World War Two much of its regular clientele decamped to the countryside but the building in Regent Street remained open and served as a first-aid point and military post.

On 16 September 1940 it came under intense fire from Luftwaffe raiders who destroyed a large section of the west wing.

As the Langham was so close to the BBC's Broadcasting House, across the road at Portland Place, it was in constant danger from German bombers.

The BBC's wartime staff used to broadcast from the roof of the Langham, in particular the US correspondent Edward Murrow.

JB Priestley was also a guest in this period to be close to Broadcasting House for his frequent late-night transmissions of Britain Speaks to North America.

In 1941 the notorious Soviet spy Burgess was involved in what became known as the "Langham incident". An internal memo from his wartime employer the BBC revealed that he tried to break down the door of his room when he could not get in.

It was some time after the war was over before the Langham could be returned to its original splendour.

In 1965 the BBC took out a partial lease and made the bar the home of the BBC's private members club.

The royal suites were used for office printing and the grand ballroom became the registry.

The Langham was eventually returned to its original use after significant refurbishment.

Today, the hotel is still capable of attracting the well-heeled guests it could in its Victorian heyday when the likes of Dickens, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and Oscar Wilde would grace its corridors.

More recently, the hotel has played host to the England cricket team, with bowler Stuart Broad claiming the building was haunted.

Broad told the Mail on Sunday how the taps in the bathroom came on for no reason and turned themselves off, leaving him "really freaked out".

From the BBC News website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-33068776

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 02:21:56 am »

Beautiful hotel.  This post could be in the main section, along with other inpirational architectural pieces of the era.  I thought we had a hotel thread...  Did we?

Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 02:37:22 pm »

I thought we had a hotel thread...  Did we?

I think we had a thread that turned into a hotel thread at one point.  Wink

I vaguely recall something along those lines, anyway.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 08:25:32 pm »

Moderators, here is another thread I would recommend for removal from "Off Topic", due to its historical nature and the fact there are a number of threads elsewhere on the forum that discuss period and/or Steampunk buildings. I don't remember which board(s), but again I would think more likely "Metaphysical" or "Tactile".
Major Vincent Smith
Eccentric Gentleman
Board Moderator
Snr. Officer

Vampyre Lord of the Twilight Overlord of Hellfire

jacknife98
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 10:25:51 pm »

Well, its not tactile...hmm...it might fit in geographical, since it says 'locations'. Thoughts?

Spammers Flattened: 52
"Not on my watch!"
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 01:31:45 am »

Once I've gotten everything settled here, I'll go looking for the threads I've participated in that discussed buildings and architecture.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 04:03:32 am »

Found it!

Threads about historical and/or steamy buildings are in "Geographical".

Reporting to Mods for possible relocation.
Major Vincent Smith
Eccentric Gentleman
Board Moderator
Snr. Officer

Vampyre Lord of the Twilight Overlord of Hellfire

jacknife98
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 09:06:48 am »

Sounds good.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 10:05:57 am »

Thanks!
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2015, 07:27:59 pm »

I've DJed there a few times.

It's a bitch to deliver to.

Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish

www.steampunkdj.co.uk  Please follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SteampunkDJ & Facebook https://www.facebook.com/steampunkdj
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2015, 07:43:46 pm »

In what respect? Accessibility?
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2015, 07:57:37 pm »

In what respect? Accessibility?
Yes.  No on site parking & the service lift doesn't align properly with the floors (among other things)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: