The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 21, 2017, 02:57:55 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Barker Street Irregulars case 1 Crowned Panic.  (Read 10585 times)
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler
United States United States

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #450 on: July 22, 2015, 04:43:24 am »

She blushed very pink at the fact that Reid was holding her like a child.  It was comforting in his arms however, she could use some after the visions the rejoining had caused her.  The other her had been some dark painful places with no one on her side.  She smiled at Marley and opened her mouth only to yawn deeply.  Celia was tired all the way down to the bone.  "It is taking some time to come fully back to me but I can feel the pulse is stronger than ever.  There are still places where the white knights have mucked with the order of things but without the other me they are stuck for now."

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #451 on: July 22, 2015, 02:41:41 pm »

Seems to me we Knights'll be tinkering a while," Marley responded. "The whole System must've been messed with; sure, they did a lot against this clock, but they can't have done that without muffing at least one other, if not several. Big Ben's alright, or should be, I checked and fixed her her not three days ago myself, but St. Albans and St. Paul's, their Dragon hands've* been missing eclipse dates for months now. They'll all need looking after now, of course. Guess who Mollesley's going to tell to inspect them all..." he said, a bit glumly.

"Say, anybody have a cure for an impacted raven?" The raven fledgling on Marley's shoulder actually chirrupped plaintively and gripped his vest a bit tighter, the tiny claws just barely nicking him through the layers of fabric as the bird cocked his head up and looked Marley's up and down. "Looby?"
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 02:54:05 pm by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain

https://rangerreid.wordpress.com/

« Reply #452 on: July 22, 2015, 03:04:54 pm »

Reid made no move to put Celia down.  Instead he said "let's gather our group and go back to the house.  Whatever is left to do can wait till a fair rest."

MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #453 on: July 22, 2015, 03:19:46 pm »

A sound like a Steamer blowing it's whistle at docking sounded, shaking the Tower slightly. Marley started as the raven squawked. The Knight then chuckled, pulling out his watch and pressed a stud on the side several times. "I'll join you as soon as I may," he said. "I have a report to give and a ship to send off." he stopped and thought for a second. "Care for a ride?"
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 08:04:41 pm by MWBailey » Logged
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #454 on: July 22, 2015, 04:57:12 pm »

Now that the cleansing was over and magic restored, the human turned back into the old wolf. The old wolf turned to leave but sensed something, he walked over to the broken sword sections and felt a presence still clinging to it. He gathered up both sections and calling a vail gate into existence, parted without another word.

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #455 on: July 22, 2015, 09:08:55 pm »

"Yes please." Celia wanted nothing more than to be home with Toby.  "You are welcome to come back to the club and stay as long as you like ". She found herself hoping that Reid would stay even after the bird was returned. Celia loved Toby dearly but having another adult around was nice.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #456 on: July 22, 2015, 09:30:41 pm »

"Right! Well, let me see if I can get them to let us aboard." He opened teh door at side of the stair landing, and walked into teh room; it appeared to be a sitting room, with a balcony that looked over the courtyard below. Marley crossed to the balcony's french-style doors, opened them, and stepped out onto the balcony, put his fingers to his lips, and whistled shrilly, waved at something out of sight, and then stepped back as the giant shape of the control car and lower gas envelope of the Linnaeus hove into view. Lines were tossed, and Marley and Inkpot grabbed and secured them, and soon a gangway stretched from the balcony to the control car of the airship. "All aboard who's going aboard!" he called.

"You and Molly, Ink?"

"Nay, Me girl and I've got some taklkin' to do -!"

"You bet we do!" Molly grabbed Inkpot and began hauling him out of the room. "Now, we'll see who marries who, my fine young Love, There's things we gots to do..." their voices faded off into the depths of the tower, with Ink's occasional "But Molly!"s  echoing back. All in all, the negotiation seemed to be going relatively well.

"Well. Harrumphh."

"Ha-rumf?" the raven said, then began preening his feathers.

"Shall we go?" Marley said, ushering the others aboard and generally haggling with the captain while the crew cast off and started the props.

It was nearly just an afterthought, but Marley thought of Toby, wondering where he was and how to get him back where he belonged. He glanced down to the courtyard, and saw a figure rubbing the side of his head and appearing as though he were trying to figure out just where he was. The can opener dangled from the fingers of his other hand; to Marley's whimsical side, it almost seemed to be forgotten and yet hung onto, the way a child might absently cling to a teddy bear out of sheer habit, amost not realizing it was there.

"Captain, have the crew lower the bosun's chair, will you? We have one more passenger to pick up," Marley called out. Later, as they unclipped the restraining bits of the chair and pulled Toby out and led him back to the bridge area, Marley let the raven walk down his arm and up into the gridlike network of  brass-pipe handholds that hung from the ceiling of the control car. "Going to have to name you, if you stick with me," he said. How's "Bill" sound to you?"

"Bill."

"Yeah, Bill."

"Bill. You great Looby..."

In a few moments, there was another explosion of purple electricity, and the Linnaeus vanished from above the Goblin Market, her passengers safely aboard, the raven perched among the brass handholds, muttering happily (or so it seemed) to itself...
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 11:01:42 pm by MWBailey » Logged
Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #457 on: July 22, 2015, 11:52:12 pm »

As the ship departed, three goblins stepped out of the shadow.   Reggie stood tallest of them.   He looked at the other two.  "See?  It worked.  Now we have a direct connection to the leylines of the city.   Everything we have wanted is within reach."

The other two nodded in agreement.   

"We should start gathering our people now.   Very soon we will exchange places with these humans.  They will hide in shadows, and we will rule the city."

The last goblin had not spoken before.  She finally did, and her voice sounded exactly like Celia's  "I still can not feel the city.  But soon.  As soon as we finish the permanent accord.   These others will never see the connection."

Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #458 on: July 23, 2015, 12:35:19 am »

"Toby Bluebell Cromerty What on earth did you think you were doing come out here all by yourself?"  He winced at the middle name but came running to his mother's voice. 

"Mama!"  He shouted near tears.

Celia nearly cried herself and gathered him up beside her on the bench seat. "Hush darling it is over now.  They can't ever take you from me."  There was a new smell among the candy floss sweetness that clung to his hair.  It reminded her of the forge and she wondered as she sometimes did where he had been taken from and what he would grow in to. She turned to Marley with a smile as a bit of memory filtered in.  "I think I know why St. Albans' is acting up.  Unless I am mistaken Bill's mother is locked away in the crypts.  The other me was held there for a while too.  I keep seeing flashes of her life and the little things I am betting the knights didn't think she noticed. They are in for a surprise when I get the wind back in my sails."
Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #459 on: July 23, 2015, 12:46:53 am »

Reid walked over to the rail and looked out over London.   It is amazing how similar it looks to the village version the Morrigan had shown him in his dreams.

The ranger idly wondered how things stood at home.   He knew his boss would be missing his efforts, but also knew he needed to stay gone till things cooled off for him "upstairs".     
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #460 on: July 23, 2015, 09:07:17 am »

Beety knew there would be more to do soon. Frightened as she was she still smiled at a private joke, A Little Bird Had TOLD her there was trouble ahead.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #461 on: July 23, 2015, 11:55:22 am »

"St. Alban's?!" The ship's captain was not happy. "You know we're supposed to contact the Rookery* if we changethe pkanned course! Himself'll go spare if we just jaunt across London on a whim!"

"I'll take full responsibility, " Marley said," and in any case, I'm the knight here, remember?"

In the end, they were soon moored to the iron gates of the yard of the Chapel at St. Albans. The sounds of ships and crews filled the air; the Docklands of the Port of London were all around them. This was an ancient site, and a damp one; Marley was always surprised that the crypts here managed to stay relatively dry.

"Alright, Bill lad, let's find your mum. Go to it!" Marley said, and the little raven made a sound halfway between a peep and a caw, and flew into the chapel; they could hear him calling within intermittently. Following him in, he was found to be perched atop the stone archway of a door off to the side of the vestibule. The heavy wooden door looked ancient, massive... and locked.

"I guess that's where she is," Marley said.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 04:27:30 am by MWBailey » Logged
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #462 on: July 23, 2015, 05:29:10 pm »

The carriage pulled up outside the docks and MrSmith and James Purcell climbed out.
"What ever happened at the market seams to have been sorted but why did them come here?"
"This place stinks, it's times like this I didn't have my wolfen abilities. Do you know why they would come here?"
"All I can think off is it has something to do with St Albans church."
"Lets catch up to them and find out." James replied and Mr Smith led the way.
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #463 on: July 23, 2015, 09:08:40 pm »

On his way past Beety Toby passed her a locket "Auntie Beety, an emptied man dropped this, can you look after it 'til I need it."

"Your sleight of hand is improving." she whispered as she wrapped the blackened object in a silk handkerchief.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #464 on: July 23, 2015, 09:34:52 pm »

Celia held Toby's hand she had thought about leaving him on the ship but she did not want him out of her sight.  Beety had loaned her a cane and Celia did not want to admit how much she needed it with her jelly legs.  "I know how to open it but I would suggest all of you plug your ears.  I have to call on the dead to pull the latch from the other side and that particular language can cause bad reactions if you listen for too long."  
Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #465 on: July 23, 2015, 09:42:25 pm »

Reid stepped up on the other side of Toby and ruffled his hair. 

Taking off his glove and gripping the dagger, the ranger nodded at Celia that he was ready.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #466 on: July 23, 2015, 11:06:40 pm »

She made sure Toby had his ears plugged and then let out a noise that sounded like a sigh but built in to rustling leaves and whispers. Celia turned pale as the moon as the words swirled and creaked like footsteps in crumbling houses. She could hear a stirring on the other side a soft creaking followed by a scrape of metal on metal. When the hinges started to creak Celia stopped suddenly very much hoping whoever opened the door was no longer moving.  She had to deal with the dead every now and then and did not enjoy it.   Celia signalled that it was all right to uncover their ears.  "Be careful I don't know if they have any other tricks waiting for us."
Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #467 on: July 23, 2015, 11:29:00 pm »

When Celia first started, Reid stepped back as if slapped.  He drew his dagger and held it between himself and Celia.   Things immediately seemed better.

MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #468 on: July 24, 2015, 10:53:06 am »

St. Alban's was an old chapel; it had been added onto over the centuries, so that it now more properly resembled a small cathedral, complete with crypts, which was where they were heading now, but it lacked the planned standard layout and symmetry of a full-on, purpose-built cathedral; thus the entryway to the crypts being in such a public location.

Marley stepped forward, and took the flint striker from the niche just inside by the door, struck a spark into a pinch of the charcloth-and-fuzz also located in the same area, and blew it into a flame, which he applied to the oily naptha-reeking rags in the basket of a cresset torch by the other inner side of the doorway. The rags caught, and the smoky, smelly flame showed a flight of steps curving down into the darkness.  "Let's go," he said, "these things (he gestured with the cresset torch) burn fast and leave oily charry embers all over the place, so mind your clothes."

He led the way down, his pistol at the ready. A thud-and-click from on high faded as they descended; the tower clock was apparently intact and operating, at least. At the landing, he paused, and found several prayer candles by the door, which he managed to light, and handed one to Celia, Reid, and Beety.

"Should make it easier to explore-!" A rush of wings made him duck as Bill swooped by. The fledgeling called once, and a rather weak call sounded from the far end of the crypt, by a grating through which gray light filtered down from outside.

"Bastards. To hold a bird in a place like this. Be careful, don't go rushin' ahead, lad." Marley warded Toby back with his forearm. "There'll be traps ahead, I'm sure of it."
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 04:30:31 am by MWBailey » Logged
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #469 on: July 25, 2015, 01:30:23 am »

Celia closed her eyes and tried to remember.  The smell of incense had always been heavy and they often chanted in ways that made her vision go misty.  She remembered a goblet they told her drink from that made her body in to smoke and sent her off over the city.  Those were dangerous and tricky spells and she wondered how the knights had known them.  She would have to speak with Beety after this was all done. The knights may have help to trap her and she wanted to know from who. "Avoid stepping on any of the big flagstones that have cracks running down the middle.  Some of those are rigged to snap like a bear trap and don't touch the walls if you can help it.  Some of the dead are not entirely sleeping and if the old wards they built in to cobwebs are broken we may be in for a difficult time.  Even the bravest knight avoided the lady in white's tomb but I don't know why."
Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #470 on: July 25, 2015, 01:35:43 am »

Reid stepped forward.   He knew he could take the lead and spot most mechanical traps, but he also knew his limits.  Magical traps were something he had almost no experience with.

Still, he didn't want to let Marley or Celia get too far ahead of him.  He felt like his natural instincts and abilities might still be useful, especially his ability to see in low light. 
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #471 on: July 25, 2015, 02:37:50 am »

There was not supposed to be a single inch of London she was uncomfortable with. In fact for the almost three months leading up to her 16th birthday she had waked every street the city had barefoot to connect her with the earth.  This crypt however made her heart beat fast and her skin become cold and clammy.  She looked down at Toby hoping her fear did not show too much. "Stay right next to me love.  They did some very bad things down here."

"I know mama.  I remember the smoke monster and the bone sword."  The look on his face was unreadable in the flickering fire and she squeezed his hand in reassurance and love.  She would be glad when they were safely home. "Mama there is a voice."  Toby said as he pulled her arm close.

"Yes darling. I hear it too."  It was a half whispered chant that cut across her like a cold wind. One of the dead was not sleeping.  Celia took another cautious step forward and heard something shift in the shadows. she tried to take another step forward and found her right foot stuck firmly to the floor in what looked like a spiders web.  "How on earth did they get spider steel? The last giant spiders were supposedly driven out of England before my grandmother's time."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #472 on: July 25, 2015, 05:11:12 am »

"You're in the presence of someone who's had to go back and ask Richard III for a scrap of vellum for a Fake Magna Charta to fool a mad horologist so he could wrecjk the taumic orrery that was knocking the planets out of whack, remember." He shuddered in spite of himself; the spell had literally called for the tanned and scraped skin of a calf from the hand of the 'first divine king of the realm.' That had been a horrifically tense case. "If I and the rest of the Guards can do that kind of thing, it's bound to be possible for a bunch of unscrupulous war mages. Who knows what they managed to purloin from the past, and what causal lines they've mucked up with their meddling." He reached ionto his vest and extracted a small white glass vial witha screw lid. When he uncapped it, the sweet stench of camphor clotted the air.

"It's just Dr. Steinke's Nose Remedy," he said to the disgusted looks around him. "I got it at the chemist's shop last Tuesday. it's amazing what this stuff will clear up with the right hand-wave." he dripped a few drops of the noxious stuff on the web around Celia's foot, and whispered a word that seemed to echo deafeningly while at the same time make no sound at all,  and whith a tinkling noise  the web fell to rusty red scales around Celia's shoe. sevberal other tinkles sounded from around the crypt, and something almost human-sounding grunted and griped off to their left, ahead.

"who dares to lay snares and trips in the demesne of Linnaeus' Order?" Marley bellowed as he straightened; he murmured the fire cantrip again, and flame roared out of the cresset torch and down the length of the chamber, and lit every candle and torch in their sconces throughout the crypt. cobwebs and their attendant distclouds and spindly-legged deziens caught fire and flamed to nothingness, and with themn passed away a large degree of the heavy miasma that seemed to cling to the very stones of the place. A huge shape off in the far coner that had far too many legs to be that large screeched as it caught on fire and collapsed.

"Miscreant! By the Lords of Death, and the Right and Authority of Carolus Linnaeus, I abjure ye, Show thyself!"
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #473 on: July 25, 2015, 07:04:31 am »

James purcell stepped into the crypt behind the others and let out a low growl that startled them
"Someone call for a servant of death?" he asked sniffing the air, something was odd about the smell in this place, something was unusual.
It wasn't the smell of death that troubled him because he had met Death and shared a pot of tea with him, no, something lingered on the edge of his sense's as if it were being masked. He suddenly growled startling the others for a second time and a shadow formed. On instinct he turned into lycan and regretted it as his head hit the ceiling of the crypt!
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #474 on: July 25, 2015, 02:40:57 pm »

Celia was very glad she had not run in to that spider. Normally she was not afraid of them but one of that size made her want to run away. Toby had apparently thought the same thing and hid in her skirts.  Near the center of the room there was a pristinely white tomb with a figure of a lady resting carved in to it.  It would have been very pretty to look at if not for the fact the lid happened to be moving.  Celia readied the strongest spell she had against the undead and made sure Toby was safely tucked away.  If it was strong enough to move that stone then slamming it back in place wasn't going to do much.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: