The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 01:56:30 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Barker Street Irregulars case 1 Crowned Panic.  (Read 10452 times)
Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

https://rangerreid.wordpress.com/

« Reply #375 on: July 02, 2015, 12:32:40 am »

Reid stepped out and to the left.  He had hoped to explain to his friends about his encounter in case it had a bearing on the coming events.   But, just in case things went to quickly, better to be able to fight unencumbered.  Having a little room to move would help him do the maximum damage without hurting any of the good guys.

Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #376 on: July 02, 2015, 01:22:28 am »

Celia smiled Beety always seamed to know what she needed to hear.  "Believe me I can't wait to get home to him."  This place was bringing up memories of the day she took him home. His small frame cradled close to her chest as she ran and the sweet smell of candy floss that not all the baths in the world could not remove in the air all around them. It had been a scarry and wonderful day and she had never looked back from the moment he called her mama. No living person was as beloved to her as he was.

"Inkpot I am looking to erase a debt and get a little on the side.  I haven't been in the market in a while and I know the factions fluctuate daily so who has the deepest pockets?" Goblins were starting to come out of hiding now that the men in white had past and they wondered who this woman that looked like the queen that had rode with them was. this was the start of the game. The bait was out now to see who came to claim it.

The queen urged her king on she did not trust that witch Morgan had sent to take her child away not to have some fast way to get to them.  The golden tower had moved again and with much frustration she corrected their course useing London's eyes.  There was a sort of double vision there that made her nearly dizzy.  Her steps faltered as she looked up at him. "Never worry Dearest we are almost to the tower.  The iron will lay the way open for us.  Keep your sword pointed at it and it cannot move."  She touched gauntleted hand tenderly as one of the knights handed her a goblet.

"Ma'lady It is time for your medicine."  She drunk the bitter herbal brew that kept her pain far away. The queen sagged on her feet a little as as two of the knights pulled back,  There would be a while before before the brew kicked in and they could used the queen's powers as much as their own and they had to stop the interlopers before they could get farther into the market.

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #377 on: July 02, 2015, 02:23:01 am »

"Deepest Pockets? Weeelll now...." Inkpot considered. Considered indeed. By giving the information, he could leverage -!

"Now, Inkpot old fellow," Marley said, as if listening to the pingings of  Inkpot's brain,  "A deal's a deal, you remember? You and me, we're already bound by the Guard's oath. Celia's a Ballast and London City Avatar, that makes her a Judge of the Oath, and our contractor by Goblin Law, and Comrade-in Arms by that of the Knights. Any information she asks for, we have to surrender."

"Consarn it Marley, How d'yer keep readin' me moind!?"

"I don't! I just know how both our minds work," Marley answered, his eyes twinkling as he smirked.

"Ow, bloody alright then. Its Llartheuw and his Gag-me cronies, got the most assets all over the bloody planet, but Brilla the Bosoms (you met 'er cloimbin down 'er bawdy'ouse, Marley) what gots the most ready cash and liquid, hm, assets." He grinned lewdly at his own joke. "Lessee...If th' candlewax-fat-and-bone guilds get t'gither, they could  give Brilla a run fer it... lessee, Molly there, WHAT CALLED ME OUT A 'CLOCKNEY', YOU'LL MARRY ME YET YOU JUST WATCH YOU BEAUTY! She's ould money as well as cute as a button, 'er mum n' da could buy arf o' Gagme if they warn'ted to." He ticked the individuals off on his fingers. "Then there's Gagme's up-and comin' European competitors EuRP..." he pronounced the acronym such that it sounded as if he were about to upchuck on the spot, "Also lots o' other guilds or families could try it on for a gamble, but most'd bankrupt if they tried."  That's aboot it, I'd say."

Dammit, Marley, I coulda leveraged for a princely sum if you'd-a just let me, dammit... Inkpot fumed to himself.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 06:16:14 pm by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #378 on: July 02, 2015, 08:28:44 pm »

"Not a bad spread then." Celia chewed on her lip a bit.  It was a bad habit she had since childhood.  "So what we need is to make it to the street of the third gold that puts us near the guild halls for maximum spread and it has auction platforms for rent if we should need it. Only problem is the streets here move about however they please and unless I am mistaken someone is prodding them to more rapid movement.  If they keep it up I don't know if even the locals can find their way around."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #379 on: July 04, 2015, 04:22:01 am »

"Lately, I foind that one does best if 'e just concentrates on findin' th' opposite thing o' what e's lookin' for," Inpot suggested.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #380 on: July 04, 2015, 04:45:40 am »

"Perhaps if we all just talk and move without thinking much our feet can fond their own way." Celia started to walk along like she had all the time in the world.  "I have been thinking how to brake the circle. Inkpot am I correct in thinking the people in the golden tower still hold the deed to this place?"
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #381 on: July 04, 2015, 04:58:12 am »

"The Deed, aye, and it's where The Clock be secreted," Inkpot confided.

He was a bit reticent, was Inkpot. Affairs of the Market were not really meant for outsiders, but Celia was an ally of the Market, and thus, he reasoned, an insider - though not of goblinkind. That last bit made his position a bit precarious. But as long as he, and Marley, and Celia were protecting London, and thus the Market itself as a necessity, he supposed it was alright. Still...
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 05:03:01 am by MWBailey » Logged
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #382 on: July 04, 2015, 05:13:51 am »

"In order for the binding to be as close to unbreakable as possible the goblin that holds the deed must freely offer their blood and oaths .You can force someone in to it but the bond.that makes is weak and easily broken. If we can stop that I can set this right before lunch." She was wishing she has not left part of her breakfast behind but knew better than to eat goblin food.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #383 on: July 04, 2015, 05:37:00 am »

This was getting a bit arcane for Inkpot, but he'd  at least been exposed to the theory of such issues before. Marley was also slightly at sea, but had a sudden idea. "Does it absolutely have to be the ruling patriarch or matriarch of the Deeded Family? Could it be done by a scion of said family with teh Family head in absentia, for example?"

"Wha're you playin' at , Marley?" Inkpot asked, his own curiosity piqued. "Molly's th' Only one of 'em can be called a true "scion," if I takes yer meanin' right, but she be female..."
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #384 on: July 04, 2015, 07:59:41 am »

Something was placed in Celia's hand, a cucumber sandwich.  Magical summoning of food was fiercely guarded against by Goblin power but Beety's sleight of hand wasn't even noticed.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #385 on: July 04, 2015, 12:00:44 pm »

Celia gratefully took the sandwich. She had been extra hungry recently not quite as bad as Toby who seemed to have sprouted a hollow leg but certanly more than normal.  "It doesn't have to be the head the one with the most magic will work just as well what they are is a representation of the land's will. If they cast their lot with us then we have the aid of the land itself.  It is an old system."   
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #386 on: July 07, 2015, 08:37:01 pm »

A shadow from the old wolfs claw solidified and removed his targets head form his shoulders. His task now complete, he turned back to the group he had seen earlier. The memory was fragmented and over 400 years old but he remembered them and remembered the guilt of not having entered with them. Pulling up his hood, he made his way back to them and hid in the shadows near enough that he could intervene if need be. He could sense the power flowing around the place, but that same power was also masking something deeper, something darker, something that felt close to his own power. He watched them talking and remained hidden.

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #387 on: July 07, 2015, 11:54:29 pm »

Celia felt substantially stronger then when they had entered.  For once bathing in the glamours of the market was a good thing. She tried again to call on the city and part the vales and it worked, sort of. Instantly colors danced forming what looked like after-images and sent trails.  At first it was distracting, especially the part that looked like a ghostly picture over top everything that seamed to be showing something else entirely, but Celia recovered quickly and pointed down an ally that seamed to end in a brick wall.  "That believe it or not is our path.  I think if we are persuasive enough the bricks should accommodate us."  She moved purposely toward it only to feel herself bump in to an invisible wall. "Well that is new and it doesn't feel local."  That was the only thing she got to say before she had the wind knocked out of her as she was tossed to the ground and pinned beneeth a wall of force.  The men in white were learning.  If the Irregulars could be stopped from working magic neutralizing them was much simpler.
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #388 on: July 08, 2015, 01:51:20 am »

Of course Beety wasn't working magic, only prestidigitation. She made something appear to be passing through the  wall that Celia was prevented from reaching. It was enough to confuse the men in white for a few moments but The Irregulars probably couldn't escape completely.  Beety looked across the room "Celia someone you ought to meet either now or in the near future."
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #389 on: July 08, 2015, 02:41:08 am »

Celia was able to tale advantage of the lensing of pressure and hurled the wall back at whomever had sent it. There was a grunt from not to far away as the knight struggled to keep on his feet.  There had been a mass exodus as soon as the magic started, not too surprising considering was a settlement of merchants not fighters, leaving them alone in the street.  Normally this would make it easy to find who was attacking them but the stalls were a jumble of color, moving shapes and chickens running free it was quite hard to see what could hide among them. Celia thought she spotted them only to have her feet knocked from underneath her as she was suspended by her heels over the street.  "If You want to volley spells in hiding instead of standing like a man then have at you!" Celia said firing a ball of electricity where she thought her attacher was. "James?' She thought it was him but it was hard to tell while she was swinging around upside-down.
Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #390 on: July 08, 2015, 03:02:10 am »

Reid was unsure of the exact exchange he was observing.  But he saw Celia go down, and rushed to help.   As he came close something large bowled into him and stuck to him like glue.  He wrestled with it, but it felt like a blanket of tar.  Finaly he managed to get his knife out and cut himself free.

Seeing the possible direction of Celia's attacker, the ranger snatched up a rock and hurled it.  There was a loud grunt and a man in White fell to the curb bleeding at the temple.

Reid looked to See if that was the only one.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #391 on: July 08, 2015, 04:44:26 am »

Inkpot took an item very much like a watch from the left waist pocket of his waistcoat. Like, indeed, but also unlike; several dials superimposed over what looked like a somewhat-skewed map of London, and showing larger than the rest an animated, gear-driven grid of streets centered around a dial that seemed to be positioned so as to rule over the rest of teh dials and the grid itself. The grid was constantly changing; one moment, the lines radiated out from the dial in the center; the next, they were all jumbled, the next all lined up in a different way, whilst the central dial itself moved around eccentrically in a circle. Careful comparison to their surroundings would have revealed that, in fact, the horrifically-complex device was keeping track of the positions of the streets of the Market - among other things.

"I concur," He said. "Miss Celia, do be careful. When I says 'ere there be dragons*, it ain't a joke." He turned to Marley "Milord Whippett, keep you an eye out for shadows what ain't supposed to be there," he winked at the form that was almost invisible at the rear of the group. At least he thought something was in that general vicinity.

"Where're you going, Ink? Need a hand?"

Nay, you stay 'ere, Marl, they needs you, whether they knows it 'r not. Only one can take the road I'm followin'. Meet you at th' Tower, you lot." He waved and suddenly winked out as if a curtain had fallen across his form.

"Bloody operatic scoundrel," Marley breathed, and said, "I think he's gone to do something with the Clock. Unless I miss my guess, the path should stay open all the way, but I think he's anticipating trouble; something or someone might be trying to change the streets despite the clock's influence. Inkpot's probably planning to tweak the clock so they can't do that...much. He also has a little bit of swayt with the Tower family (Molly's lot). I imagine he might be intending to ask a favor."
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 05:38:51 pm by MWBailey » Logged
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #392 on: July 08, 2015, 06:29:52 am »

The old wolf continued to watch the group from the shadows and his had reached down for is revolver when one of the party started to walk towards an ally only to be knocked over. One minute the woman was on her back, next she was hanging upside down from an invisible force.
The party was attacking something that they couldn't see and weren't doing very well. He drew his pistol and aimed it at the shadow of a creature and fired. A ball of lightning erupted from the weapons barrel, flew across the area between him and the party hit the creature causing it to howl and let got of the woman "celia?" he asked himself, "was that her name?"
The creature became visible and looked somewhat stunned and he continued to watch as the party continued to attack.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #393 on: July 08, 2015, 09:57:33 am »

Celia scrambled to her feet and realized what was in front of her.  It was a half formless ball of panic and force that formed in to one twisted animal after another.  "Really calling on us nightmares like a hedge witch?"  she sent a ball of bright light that cause the translucent thing raged and charged again but missed them.  If she could just fond the knight that was sending it and brake his concentration his own monster would fall back on him while they ran for it.  She was guessing that they were trying to keep her from somewhere so of course they would run in just that direction.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #394 on: July 08, 2015, 06:14:48 pm »

"Need a bit of light in the darkness?" Marley said laconically, as he drew out the vial of Revelatory again. He poured out half the remnaining amount into his palm, and half blew, half threw it down the alley. A slight gesture and a nudge of impetus from a wave of the spanner sword, and the cloud of dust filtered down the length of the alley, exposing all manner of pitfalls and revealing half-hidden opponents wherever it touched.

"Hurry, it only lasts for about twenty minutes," Marley said. "Memorize their positions, and attack and adapt; they won't stay in the same place for long." So saying, he turned and laid into an armored individual, who looked like some kind of cross between a were and a turtle, smashing aside it's staff before it could loose the lightning ball on the end of it. The ball, set free by the impact, caromed off of the rather nauseating moulding surrounding the back door of a brothel, and slagged a metallic fiend a few yards down the way. "Turtlebacks in The Market?!" Marley exclaimed as he dispatched the luckless individual with a vicious slash. "What gate did somebody leave open this time?"
---------

Inkpot unbuttoned the fabric of Betwixt and stepped through into the stone entrance hall of the Golden Tower. The groined ceiling was all hung with the banners of the Goblin Elite - and the plaids and colors of Camelot. A large, rough, circular table dominated the center of the room, but there were no knights visible, just lots and lots of Goblins, watched over by a pair of green-uniformed guardsmen. It looked for all the world as if they were under guard by the greenbacks, whose repeating rifles were leveled as if they were prepared to fire into the crowd. He took in the scene in an instant, and drew his own sword, muttering the words of a fire cantrip, gesturing at the guards, who had aimed at him and were about to fire. Both disappeared screaming in a gout of flames. "MOLLY!" Inkpot shouted across the throng. "I need your 'elp!" He was beyond caring what debt he'd have to pay for such an outburst; the guards at the door and the captive Goblin nobles made it plain that things were even more desperate than he had imagined. "What's 'appened? Who's in charge?" He exclaimed as Molly ran over. It was somewhat disconcerting that she was pulling a sap from her bodice as she approached...
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 01:18:07 am by MWBailey » Logged
Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #395 on: July 08, 2015, 11:19:15 pm »

Reid watched as a flash came from behind the group and revealed their opponents even before Marley used his illuminating potion.  "Someone is helping us" thought Reid, "Will need to see about that later, but for now...."

With the ability to see their foe in the alley, the Ranger was finally home again.   He stepped between Celia and the men in white.  Slashing out with the sword, he unleashed the stored energy from the blade.   There was an electric flash as the metal and energy cut into the Phantasm facing Celia.   It exploded.  There seemed to be some kind of energy backlash, as three men in white suddenly grabbed their bleeding ears and fell to the ground motionless.

Silence settled over the alley.    Reid looked back at the group.  "Marley said it his sparkle paste doesn't last.  Let's move."

(He offered Celia a small hard smile for support.  This was her show.)

MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #396 on: July 09, 2015, 01:25:06 am »

"Already there!" Marley said as he charged past, snarling and stabbing at a smoky betentacled fiogure that stepped out from behind a garbage midden. "Foolish mortal! you dare to-!" it began, then stopped, burbled, and went down in an avalanche of chaotic flesh and energy backlash; a scream erupted from behind the midden and the boots and lower white pantleg hems of a man in White slid comically halfway into the alley. Marley gritted his teeth and did his best tio ignore the rest of the corpse as he cut his steps and forced himself to wait momentarily for teh others.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #397 on: July 09, 2015, 02:33:06 am »

She smiled back at Reid. Now they had a path and a plan. Celia ran like the devil was after her through the wall at the end of the alley like it was nothing more than a dream. They came out another street crowd with market stalls  The goblins yelled after them as they passed but she paid them no mind. Behind them the market roared with wind causing fabric and feathers to swirl around them. Something was coming up from behind and they didn't have much time until it reached them.  Celia led them on another sharp corner in it to what looked like a solid wall.  When they called this labyrinthine they weren't kidding.  She could see shimmers of the tower now close but still far in between the rooftops.  There were gold sparks at the edges of her vision getting stronger.  "Hold on tight I think someone is setting up a roadblock."
Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #398 on: July 09, 2015, 02:41:14 am »

As they ran, Reid kept looking at the brick pavers beneath their feet.  There was something bugging him about this "Labirynth". 

Suddenly he called out "RIGHT!!!"  the party swerved to the doorway to the right.  A few more feet and the ranger called "LEFT!!!" and again the group went as he directed. 

Celia looked at Reid with the obvious question at her lips, but before she could ask, the ranger called out "The glamour doesn't do lichen correctly.  The real path looks different to me.  I can pick out the main paths, but won't know which goes where we want.   But I CAN keep us from blundering into an illusionary false path."

Steampunk Away
Zeppelin Captain

Long Live The Icarus!

https://twitter.com/Steam
« Reply #399 on: July 09, 2015, 03:21:50 am »

Abraham slowed to a stop.

"Well that was a fun excursion, sorry for my earlier disappearance, it seems our paths were meant to diverge. There are a lot of odd corridors down here, but I did manage to nab this," Abraham produced a key, one with a raven top.

"Not quite sure what it is..."

Welcome aboard Steampunk Away! We are a small custom order shop, creating jewelry, props, costumes, drawings, and models. Email us at steampunkaway@gmail.com to have us create your special order on commission! Have a mechanical day!
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: