The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 11, 2017, 04:28:23 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Barker Street Irregulars case 1 Crowned Panic.  (Read 10770 times)
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #350 on: June 28, 2015, 07:48:32 pm »

James walked over to where Mallard indicated and put a hand on the surface.
"What do you think James?" Beety asked
"Dunno, wasn't a Vail Gate so I can't say"
Beety turned to Celia, "Can you tell where Reid has disappeared to?"
Celia walked over to the wall, "I can feel magic here but I can't tell anything."
There was a chuckle from behind, James wiled around and crossed the distance between the hound and the group, he grabbed the hound by his throat and hoisted him off the ground and slammed him into the wall. "Where is he?" James Growled
The White hound let out a soundless chuckle, "Why are you asking me, that woman over there knows his location!" he said nodding at Celia, "she is the Avatar of London after all!"

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com
Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

https://rangerreid.wordpress.com/

« Reply #351 on: June 28, 2015, 08:10:16 pm »

"so.  this is how sacks of turnips feel" thought Reid.  The ranger was still enveloped in the black moist bubble, but he was unharmed.  As near as he could tell, he was being carried on someone........ or someTHING's shoulders.  Whatever it was, it walked upright and took long strides.  Judging by how high he was bobbing the thing must be nine feet tall at least.  It also didn't seem to be struggling with his weight.

Reid could feel his grip still tightly wrapped on his tanto, and he also knew without trying that the larger sword was still on his back.

"Sigh!  Nothing to do but see where I end up" he thought.

MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #352 on: June 28, 2015, 09:55:33 pm »

Not being entirely up to speed, Marley had hung back, staying out of the way. He preferred not to get involved with Old Ones unless necessary;  Not a bad lot, as inhuman unknowable pandimensional beings went, but he didn't feel the need to go insane just now. Too, there was the werewolf, who like most of his kind, felt the need to establish dominance with others of his kind; that was not a process he needed to interfere with. But when Reid suddenly turned up missing, with a peculiar yet familiar metaphysical stench to the air whjere he had been standing, That was somewhat closer to his area of expertise.

He walked over, pulled an object that resembled an oversized derringer from the inner breast pocket of his vest, and aimed it at the place that Mallard was looking at. He pused his lips, manipulated a stud that was located where the "trigger" would have been, while simultaneously turning a knurled knob where the "hammer" would normally be located. A beige mist emanated from the "muzzle," wrapped around the invisible form of a man in a widebrimmed hat, and promptly turned black, almost in a complete absence of light or color; for a moment the sound of wild winds blowing distantly filled the small space around them, then faded away with the image. "Seems he''s right here, but...not..." He finally said. "feels like a dimensional displacement trap; but done with some kind of dark incantation instead of intertemporal machinery, or maybe both."

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Prof. Isambard Ravenwood
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Paddle faster, I hear Banjos...

« Reply #353 on: June 28, 2015, 10:21:53 pm »

"Hmmmm, well done! and you might be?..." said Mallard, on the surface, well mannered enough, but cunningly disguised was a hint of envy. He had been out-shined by this... this... newcomer... He was the know it all detective around here...

I don't know why I have to learn algebra... I have no intention whatsoever of ever going there...

"Uh-uh. I know what you're thinking. Did he discharge 6 chambers, or was it only 5? Well, I rather forgot myself, what with all this excitement and all. But seeing that this is a .45 Civiliser, the most powerful hand-cannon in the Empire, and will blow your goggles clean off, you ought to ask yourself a question. Do I feel lucky?

"Well, do you... steampunk?"
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #354 on: June 28, 2015, 10:40:00 pm »

"Mallard don't pout just because he's got better toys."  She examined the set of three crystals, "Bad news, worse news and complications.  She turned towards Marley.  "Sir were you sent to us or merely to this temporal location?" 
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #355 on: June 28, 2015, 11:08:34 pm »

Normally Celia could access any magic around her if she could get it to filter through the city but the deep dark that Abraham was summoning was untouchable.  What worried her was that she did not know if that was because it was not something London had seen in the past or if she was doing worse.  "Abraham ease back a bit.  I am diminished and it is hard for me to feel the city so I can find Reid."  Celia fed out a finer and finer web of senses until she could almost feel Reid near her.  But then she hit something impassable.  Celia closed her eyes took a few steps probing the wall only to have the wall push back breaking her web like glass and knocking her to the ground  She turned to the white hound angrily there was blood appearing at the corner of her mouth from the force she had been rebuked.  Scrambling to her feet she lashed out at him with her boot.  "What the hell do you think your playing at!  Their will be nothing left of London if you keep this up.  A city cannot stand with two ballasts and if it dies so does a huge part of Camelot!"  Celia shook with anger and fear. She was trying her best to hold on but she felt like part of her was ebbing away and there was nothing she could do to stop it.

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #356 on: June 29, 2015, 12:05:07 am »

"Professor Sir Marley Whippett, Knights Temporal, Linnaeus Guards, at your service, sir." Marley said, equably. It was no surprise or really any bother to be held at arms length, so to speak, and scrutinized by the local alpha male (alphas tending to be alphas wherever they went and whatever form thay happened to take). Being ostensibly a glorified repairman, troubleshooter and temporal beat cop (be he a knight with huge responsibilites or no), there was really no place in his makeup for contentiousness. That was no reason, however, to simply roll over and play "bitty scared puppy" in response. "Mister Mallard, I presume? I cross your trails in my profession at times. Don't worry too much about me, I'm basically just a copper and repairman with some gadgets- but please be careful which clock you bump into, eh?"

"As for you, sir," he acddressed the hound, "is it you and your kind who've messed up the field around here? I was sent here specifically by Grand Master Mollesley to find the source of the field that's causing the aetherelectric locos to run without electricity, and I find this mess. Much more of this, and the horovortices'll go out of alignment, and we'll be wading through 300-year-old, stinking marsh mud replete with all sorts of nasty bits. Not to mention most of the buildings'll fall down..."
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 12:18:19 am by Stella Gaslight » Logged
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #357 on: June 29, 2015, 09:10:19 pm »

The hound laughed through broken teeth.  "You are just an obsolete echo. Give up and live what ever life you have left."

"This is my city and no imposter can take it." Celia looked over the the gathered irregulars trying to look stronger than she felt.  "If we can tie that dog up.  We have a bargaining chip to remove your debt Mal.  The goblins love to have wears. The market for their blood is alive and well despite my interference and I hear the organs are just as valuable."  Celia smiled but it was more a barring of teeth then an expression of happiness.  "I am going to guess Reid will end up in the goblin market. Most things turn up there if you wait long enough."
Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #358 on: June 29, 2015, 11:07:45 pm »

Reid was dumped on the floor, and the top of the black inky bubble receded from his head.  At first is seemed (laying on his side, body still encased) as though he was in a fine room.  Ornate furniture, guilded art, every thing about the room was fancy and fine.  There were a regal looking man in finery and a golden hair beauty in evening gown debating what to do with him.   The man was as handsome as any prince from a fairy tale.  The buxomous woman had the look and shape of an angel.  Even the tiny gap in her front teeth seemed to enhance her beauty.

It was obvious that the two hated each other, but when they realized that Reid was listening they turned to him as one.  Reid couldn't tear his eyes off of the two.  Their beauty was unnatural.  As he thought this, the ranger suddenly smelled rotten onions.  He sighed and shut his eyes.  He knew this smell.....

Forcing himself to see the world as it was, Reid re-opened his eyes.  The dank cave was dimly lit, and the two goblins were dressed in rags that might once have been the fancy clothing they were magicking it to appear as.  The male looked nothing like his pretend image.  The female at least did have huge sagging bosoms,  and a large gap in her front teeth.  That is where the similarity to her glamour ended.

The male finally spoke.   "So Ranger.  It is time we met.  You have been a thorn for too long."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #359 on: June 30, 2015, 01:04:24 am »

"So say many the miscreant in my experience," Marley said in response to the hound. "Your answer makes your innocence seem doubtful."

"I can bind his hands," Marley said. He did so,  using a length of leather cord (again, from the depths of his vest) and then added, "Hmmph! also, this style of garment..." and he pulled down the Hound's outer garment and used it to bind his arms against his sides. "That's the trouble with uniforms." he quipped.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 01:20:40 am by MWBailey » Logged
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #360 on: June 30, 2015, 01:49:08 am »

Celia suposed she should feel like a general leading her troops but instead it was more like she was leading herself in to a trap.  "Beety if I fall get me back to Toby as quick as you can."  She said quietly arms outstretched to feel her way to the gates as her magical sight sputtered.  The gates could feel her reluctance and showed up in the corner of her eye to taunt her but she could feel it's magic like a warmth on her skin.  Celia lost all reservations at the source of the power and drunk deep filling an aching hollow in her bones she had not noticed was there.  The river mist came back dotted with light like lazy fireflies reminding her not to drain it dry. As nasty as she found the market it was still a cornerstone of her city and something she needed to remain lively and strong.  Her cheeks were full and rosy again as the gates parted to reveal a garden of otherworldly delights.  "Ladies and gentlemen the market awaits." Celia drew herself up like a queen.  Yes the imposter was powerful but that power was hers and it would remember it's true master.
Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #361 on: June 30, 2015, 02:09:46 am »

As the goblin was speaking, Reid was trying to wiggle the tanto, hoping he could cut himself free of the black tendrils that held him. 

The male continued "You keep ruining my businesses in the states."  When he said "MY"  the female snarled "our!"

The larger goblin looked at her and nodded.  "Yes.  You see Reid.  We run the Greater Americas Goblin Mercantile Emporium.  It is a trade guild of sorts. "

Reid nodded.  "I know.  Gag-me.  You had a breeding pair of Culloo near Albuquerque.  Now I see what you meant by thorn."

"Yes Ranger"  the male said, "And now, we have a problem to solve.  Kthacklal here wants to give you to the hounds in white to try to bribe them for favors. 
I wish to free you, and hope you will drive them from our market.  Our authority in the guild is split evenly, and I am restricted by the general rules of trade.  You see my dilemma?"

The female turned to her partner and started to grunt in a gutteral language.  It was obvious that she was upset and barking complaints at the male.

Reid felt the magic bonds loosen ever so slightly as the larger goblin finished speaking.

While the smaller goblin raged at the larger, the ranger tried his arm, and it was free.

In one swift move, Reid raised his arm, and threw the knife with all his might.   It struck the female in the right eye, and buried to the hilt.

She fell without a word.

The male didn't speak.  He simply nodded at the ranger and walked away.  The black mass dissolved from his body.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #362 on: June 30, 2015, 02:41:41 am »

"Come along, you," Marley said firmly to the Hound, gripping the fellow's arm tightly.

He was somewhat worried about the market's field's reaction to his badge; the last time he'd entered through the gates, it had caused the glamour to create a special uniform for him. The fact that it had made him appear to wear a gilded back-and-breast and helmet, and a ridiculously huge sword where his pistol was holstered had been especially embarrassing. This time, however, it was just a red Air Marines Lieutenant's coat (the gold chest braid was a bit excessive. Nauseatingly so), and a midshipman's dagger that looked like the hilt, at least, was carved from ebony and gold. He tried to tug it  off of his saber links.

"S' no good, Marley" said a voice at his shoulder. "You think I loikes goin 'round in solid gold plate armor? Well, alroight, so I does, but that ain't the point. It ain't real, it just feels and looks loik it. Who's th' doggie?"

The Hound snarled in indignation.

"Somebody who tried to waylay our Celia," Marley replied. "Also a threat to the Clocks. Good to see you, Inkpot."

« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 02:44:45 am by MWBailey » Logged
Steampunk Away
Zeppelin Captain

Long Live The Icarus!

https://twitter.com/Steam
« Reply #363 on: June 30, 2015, 04:38:49 am »

Abraham walked over to where the Rnager had disappeared and placed his hand on the spot. Electricity arche to it, opening what seemed to be a portal.

Welcome aboard Steampunk Away! We are a small custom order shop, creating jewelry, props, costumes, drawings, and models. Email us at steampunkaway@gmail.com to have us create your special order on commission! Have a mechanical day!
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #364 on: June 30, 2015, 05:23:56 pm »

James turned around and walked away for the portal, "Where are you going?" Celia asked.
"Tempus fugit !" he replied walking away.
"Whats that supposed to mean?"
"I do believe it means Time Flies!"
The white hound laughed and spat on the ground, "tempus cruce would have been a better phrase!"
"What do you mean?"
"It means that he cannot enter!" Mr Smith said.
"Why cant he enter?"
The hound was almost in hysterics, "He means that the Grey Wolf cannot enter because he is already in there. I wish he would because he he meets him self there could be so much damage to time and space"
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #365 on: June 30, 2015, 07:19:38 pm »

"I will have to leave that to him.  I can't really touch time.  Any ballast who tries that risks her city and is pretty much doomed."  Celia said softly to Mr Smith.  "That is what the knights temporal are for." She smiled at Marley and Inkpot.  "So who is the regent I can get my tags from so I can begin the bargaining process for this cur?"
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #366 on: June 30, 2015, 11:12:36 pm »

"I can issue 'em, Lady Celia," Inkpot said with a rather nasty smile, directed at the hound. Celia as a queen was very convincing so far. Inkpot however, whether a Knight or no, tended to be "as common as common comes" due to his origins. It was talent more than position that put him where he was. That and expediency.  First I need your assurance that he'll be under control. Marley, I think you have the magical means to assure such..."
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #367 on: June 30, 2015, 11:40:31 pm »

"We swear to abide as he swore to the kingdom to be in it's service. He is now called to honour that bond and harm no one."  The hound felt a dagger of ice in his belly as she tugged on his oath.  To his surprise he was held by her words.  He had no idea she could do that and to be honest Celia hadn't either until she had given it some thought after her outburst.  After all if London was a part of Camelot then he was hers as much as the false Arthur.  Or it would work that way until the loyalty had a real chance to clash after that it was up in the air but maybe they would have a bit more on their side by then,  A girl could hope any way.  She could feel invisible eyes watching them it was rare for a human to sell as opposed to buying. That was good hopefully gossip would help them along without them running in to any more men it white. Celia was good a bluffing but against superior numbers that had a tendency to fall apart.
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #368 on: June 30, 2015, 11:54:31 pm »

Beety kept quiet as she watched Celia, the appalling strain she was under could crack London.  It wasn't as simple as the Captain's dilemma, Celia had to be in range of her doppelganger before they both died but when they were that close the distortions in the magic resonance could build to catastrophic proportions before either had a chance of winning. Only the fact that Beety had given her word to Celia's grandmother prevented her from dissolving into panic knowing how weak her own magic was compared to what they faced.  Her one comfort was the fact that she had taught Celia how to bluff extremely well.
Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #369 on: July 01, 2015, 12:13:48 am »

Reid could hear his friends on the other side of the wall.  There was still a small crack he could see daylight through.  Even to his untrained eyes there was some kind of energy crackling about the crevice.   The ranger didn't know what would happen, but he knew his friends would need him.

He shoved his arm into the bright glowing crack............................       and almost broke his wrist.  

He stepped back.   So.....  some kind of magic had sucked him through.  

As usual when faced with something he didn't understand.........  Reid decided to hit it with his sword.

There was a gleam of bright steel as the sword raced towards the crack.   Just before impact, a small part of the energy James had blasted the dagger with exploded out of the katana.  The effect was impressive and dynamic.   Rock blasted in all directions as a decent three foot hole was blasted through the rock wall.    

Coughing and covered with dust, Reid emerged into the hallway.    His friends were staring back at the hole.   Some looked a little panicked, but others looked ready for battle.

When the dust cleared enough, Reid looked at Celia and their eyes met.    She seemed relieved to see him, but didn't speak.  

The ranger nodded his head and touched his hat.   "Ma'am."   this was all he could manage without choking on the billowing dust cloud.

Reid waited for a chance to explain his small adventure, but he didn't want to offer it till he found out who the newcomer was.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #370 on: July 01, 2015, 12:32:46 am »

"I take it you want a binding from the Guards, Old Friend?" Marley asked Inkpot amiably.

"Aye, I be the Market's Regent in this instance, so it'd be a conflict if I tried to do both."

Very well," Marley said solemnly. He was always a bit loathe to do what he was about to do; it was a simple bit of magical speech, but it carried magic of gigantic proportions, more than he himself was really used to wielding alone. The only reason he could do so was because of the previous incantations, matrices of power and magical rituials done in antiquity right up to the present by mages amd Knights much more powerful than he. It was part of his Duty, however, which was part of the reason he was able to handle it. A copper had to have an arrest speech, after all.

He stepped forward, knelt on one knee, and drew a spanner from his left sock. He tapped it once, twice, thrice upon the flags of the gatepath, and one end morphed and lengthened into the blade of a decent-sized bastard sword. Still kneeling, he reached over and laid one hand on the side of the Hound's leg, and with the other held the sword with the spanner pommel and crossguard standing as a steel cross, and said, "By the Crosses of St. Michael, St. George, and the Holy Smiths of Camelot, I, Marley of Whippett, by the power vested in me by Realms Royal, Physical and Temporal, do bind and constrain this miscreant to the Will of Celia, The Realm, and the Judge of the Oath." There was actually a distant peal of thunder, and the Hound seemed to stagger as purple arcs ran up and down his form. "Miscreant, be thou advised that if you attempt to escape or subvert this Binding, given under province of Justice Meted, You shall most surely face The Norns of Fate."

He arose and turned to Inkpot and Celia and said, "it is done."

Inkpot answered, "By the power what's vested in me by th' Goblin Market and goblinkind the world over, I Inkpot, Regent o' th' Market O' Camelot, does strike the bargain to receive this 'ound from Celia and the Linnaeus Guardsman Marley o' Whippett." A real, loud thunderclap and then a bell away up high sounded, and the deal was struck. Marley nearly sighed in relief; he'd thought Inkpot was going to try to do a kiss and shake, or a spit on the palm and shake with Celia.

As if hearing his thoughts, Inkpot turned to Marley and said with a positively impish grin, "Ohhhm, thought about it I did, Marley lad, but I has me own scruples, WHAT THE HELL?!"

Reid had just made his explosive entrance...
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 12:47:33 am by MWBailey » Logged
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #371 on: July 01, 2015, 01:02:21 am »

Ohh hell, she thought, when Marley let loose he had one hell of a punch.  Some of the purple lightning flowed in to her not much but enough to make her feel a warmth in her belly and iron in the blood.  All in all a pleasant feeling.  Celia's hat managed to deflect some of the rubble from Reid's entrance.  She cold not help but smile numbers on her side were growing and the knot in her stomach eased a little. "Welcome back Reid." Her voice was warm. Ever since he had struck the deal to save her from the shadows Celia could not help but look at him more favourably.   

Another figure could feel the deal struck and she turned back to look at the far away gate.  Her face was pale as if stuffing a long illness and there was a crown on her head that sparkled with odd light.  She looked at the figure astride the white charger and smiled up at him. "Don't worry love they only have one of ours trough false pretences. Once we have the goblins in line that will matter little."  The face inside the armour looked back with hard eyes.  This time he would make sure they couldn't stand in the way of his ambitions.  They rode onward to the sparling golden tower in the centre of this madness where he would make the goblins bow before him like the lesser creatures they were.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #372 on: July 01, 2015, 01:25:58 am »

Shouts and the peals of bells in the distance suggested that something or someone was approaching. "Er, I'd better go ahead and say it, Marley lad," Inkpot said, a hint of worry in his voice. "The Linnaeus punchin' through last night, both ways, kinda stirred things up. It was all I could do to keep 'imself an her ladyship from goin' ta war with th' Outside.

Somethin' else, milady Celia? There's another Celia 'ere, one what looks loike you, but with a crown and all, who's got 'imself the king all up in a larther, talkin' about his bleedin' ambitions and whatnot. Seems they think us goblinfolk be their vassals or villeins or somesuch, it's like they be plannin a war and we's the gunfodder. My duty and concern's for the clock, but I think they moight 'ave desings on that as well, if you gets my meanin'.
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #373 on: July 01, 2015, 09:56:17 am »

Beety was sharply reminded of a group of elves that had created the one perfect moment and stayed in it.  They had been horrifyingly grateful when she made it possible for them to escape into death.  She really didn't want anyone ever to be trapped like that again but the crowned "Celia" and the "King" in white and gold were starting the long preparation for exactly that sort of spell.  
"Celia think of Toby, whatever they try think of Toby as you know him with all his faults and all his future before him."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #374 on: July 02, 2015, 12:25:08 am »

"I think she means your "king" is Toby. Sounds liek they cast a glamour to fool the glamourers. I did warn your folk about it last time I was through here, at your investment, if you recall."

"Wha-?" Inkpot looked at the approaching figures adn blinked, then experimentally slapped himself on the back of his head, and then gave an indignant snort. "Pretenders! Fakes! Why, I oughter -!"

"Stifle yourself and play along, that Celia's as strong as ours, an' Toby's got ways that nobody's guessed at!" Marley chided his friend. "Like that time with the Chthugan Heir, we have to wait for the right moment and play the Game!"  He whispered urgently. By degrees, Inkpot managed to silently get control of himself and even reassume his accustomed regal/cockney jocularity before the new pair came within clear ear or eyeshot. "Oi!" he called out, "Well Met, Milady Avater!"

"That's 'avatar,' you nit!" Marley leaned over at attention to whisper aside at Inkpot.

"She knows me by it, Marley, Thinks I'm a cockney or sommat!" Inkpot whispered back.

"A cockney Clockwarden?"

"aye, they thinks Inky's a 'Clockney!' a passing goblin wench quipped, to the derisive giggles of her gaggle of girlishness that walked with her, and then curtsied just a little too deeply, and smiled just a bit too sweetly as the "queen" and her "king" drew near...
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 12:40:08 am by MWBailey » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: