The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 22, 2017, 01:51:14 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Barker Street Irregulars case 1 Crowned Panic.  (Read 10450 times)
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #300 on: June 22, 2015, 09:27:45 am »

Beety was looking vague again, always a warning sign to those who knew her.  "I will point out that I mentioned six circles, five have to be destroyed and one has to survive.  Would you care to suggest how we determine which we need to leave intact."
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler
United States United States

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #301 on: June 22, 2015, 01:56:45 pm »

Celia sipped her coffee and one of those sudden ah ha moments she was never sure came from herself or the city.  "Mirrors. The Morgan said not to trust that mirror and I think you and I know exactly which one she meant.  Working with it will be tricky. the thing inside is a right bastard but if we can count on it to lie that is almost as good as knowing the truth.  Granted we are going to have to be very careful they lured us in to a trap last night and they have to know I can't pull off the giant glowing avatars again so soon."   

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #302 on: June 22, 2015, 06:18:02 pm »

James was sat there listening with his eyes closed when he suddenly sat up and jumped to his feet. "What would happen if Iron was layed around the edge of one of the circles?" He Headed for the door, "I think I know I know some of the circles but there not exactly round!"
James ran up stairs and came down ten minutes later looking more human then he had when he arrived back with Beety. In his hand was something wrapped in leather, but before anyone could ask he fled out the front door.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 06:22:21 pm by CPT_J_Percell » Logged

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #303 on: June 23, 2015, 01:19:26 am »

"Good grief what got in to him?"  Celia pulsing her plate aside and lacing up her boots. "I suppose we should go catch him before he walks in to a trap."
Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain

https://rangerreid.wordpress.com/

« Reply #304 on: June 23, 2015, 01:34:40 am »

Reid paused with his mouth full and his fork halfway to his face with more.......

"Cofneking"    which was full mouth speak for "coming!!!"
He jumped up and bolted for the door, only pausing to snatch his sword out of the umbrella basket by the front door.

CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #305 on: June 23, 2015, 07:23:04 am »

Mr Smith was nearly bowled over by James as he turned the corner into Baker Street. "Sorry sir," he said grabbing the window frame to support himself, "where are you rushing to?"
James stopped, looked at the black item in the leather cover showing a map, "Am I correct that this is you time frame and that you were chosen because you live here?"
"Yes Sir, why?"
"Tell me, what do you know about the railway construction?"
"Not very much beyond where there supposed to be digging."
"Do you know where the tracks have already been laid?"
"Yes sir, why?"
James waved the map in front of Mr Smith, "I need you to take me to these places!"
"Yes sir but why?"
"Captain wait for us!" came the voice of celia and he turned back to see celia running towards him, read running behind."
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #306 on: June 23, 2015, 07:55:05 pm »

"I do believe that there is more going on here then meets the eye's. In my time there are some special locations that are hidden because of construction, but there are some things that are still consistent."
"Like magic circles, sir?"
"Yes like magic circles."
Reid and Celia came to a halt breathing hard "What has gotten into you, why did you suddenly run off, James?"
James quickly stuffed the leather bound device into his pocket. "Temporal matter's that couldn't be discussed." He said looking towards Mr Smith. "My friend here is from your time, this time," He corrected, "He may know more then he realises. I need him to show me the underground railway construction sites as I believe that there will be clues there."
Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #307 on: June 23, 2015, 08:01:07 pm »

Reid replied "I won't ask you to explain anything you consider sensitive.  But possibly you could allow us to tag along?"
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #308 on: June 23, 2015, 08:05:03 pm »

"I think I may have acted in haste running off without you but now you hear, I think you may be needed."
Prof. Isambard Ravenwood
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Paddle faster, I hear Banjos...

« Reply #309 on: June 23, 2015, 10:15:39 pm »

Mallard had just sat down, and suddenly, everybody was rushing about after the Captain. Perhaps he was tired, perhaps the ritual had had some effect on him, or maybe the stimulants he'd been using hadn't quite worn off yet, but he was still a little groggy. "B...b...but... breakfast..." he said, yawning. "oh fine, I'll come..." he said, taking off his gown and putting on his corduroy coat.

I don't know why I have to learn algebra... I have no intention whatsoever of ever going there...

"Uh-uh. I know what you're thinking. Did he discharge 6 chambers, or was it only 5? Well, I rather forgot myself, what with all this excitement and all. But seeing that this is a .45 Civiliser, the most powerful hand-cannon in the Empire, and will blow your goggles clean off, you ought to ask yourself a question. Do I feel lucky?

"Well, do you... steampunk?"
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #310 on: June 23, 2015, 11:33:59 pm »

"Just wait for a moment James.  There are very tichy things that live under the ground around here that hate humans at the best of times.  It is better if I can try and summon the city a bit before we can just dive in. They may dislike humans but they are ruled by the city none the less."  Celia hoped she had it in her to put on a big enough show to not get them all knifed in the back.
Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #311 on: June 24, 2015, 12:30:19 am »

"I have a request James. " (Reid drew his dagger) "shoot me with your lightning gun again."
James smiled as he drew and fired in one smooth flash of speed.

This time the lightning flashed in a huge ball but when it hit the ranger it sucked into the dagger like a vacuum picking up pebbles.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 12:47:44 am by Ranger Reid » Logged
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #312 on: June 24, 2015, 01:19:57 am »

Celia closed her eyes and tried to draw London over her like a blanket. What answered her call was a pale shadow of the golden power she had once commanded.  The mantle was more like a fine lace than solid stone and a greyish mist came with it.  She grimaced, if she was pulling power from the rivers enough to manifest like this she was in bad shape indeed.  Celia sorely wished she had a chance to raid the arsenal before this outing. "I am going to do my best to protect you but I am more drained than I thought. So keep close and watch my back.  If I fall go to Toby he knows how to follow the proper inheritance and if anything can call me back it will be him and Beety." She squared her shoulders this was going to be painful but it was her duty to both city and son to free them from the men in white.
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #313 on: June 24, 2015, 06:21:51 am »

Celia, Mallard and Reid followed James and Mr Smith as they walked through london towards the closest of the railway construction site, If he was correct they would find one of the magic rings that held London safe. He suddenly stopped and turned back to the others and pulled out a tattered map of old london. Opening the map and placing it on the floor he turned to Celia, (where is the Troll Market and the other gatherings of creatures?"
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #314 on: June 24, 2015, 09:34:16 am »

"You don't find The Goblin Market, it finds you." Beety must have run to keep up but she now appeared as a woman of fashion without a hair out of place.  She handed Celia an exquisitely stylish hat that perfectly matched her clothing "Style is everything when a lady is facing Goblins."  It's reasonable for a man to look disheveled but a woman must look like a queen" with deft hands she applied cosmetics and jewellery then she handed Celia a very handsome carved walking stick. "Use this for effect.  Oh, and if you need it's also a sword stick."
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #315 on: June 24, 2015, 12:40:58 pm »

Celia smiled and stood straighter.  This was her armor and with it she could face what she was dreading.  "Some rules to make sure we all get out.  Do not eat anything even if freely offered or touch what you see. There are horrifically heavy glamours all over the place and even the strongest magic user can be ensnared by them so stay close no matter what you see or hear.  Goblins are not the direct attack types so they will try to lure us in to trouble.  So as long as we walk about like we own the place and pay them little mind we should be fine.  If we see one of them so decked in gold they almost can't move that is one of the leaders and we may be able to get some information from them but it will take some careful work."
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #316 on: June 24, 2015, 04:49:37 pm »

"That's not what I meant!" Jams said feeling aggitated, " I meant, where has the entrance to the troll market normally appeared?"
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #317 on: June 24, 2015, 05:46:14 pm »

"It is in Whitechapel on what would look like a grassy field between two houses.  I don't know how easy it will be for you to see it. It has a sort of natural protection to prying eyes."
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #318 on: June 24, 2015, 07:53:46 pm »

Two Sticks and Apple,
Ring ye Bells at Whitechapple,
Old Father Bald Pate,
Ring ye Bells Aldgate,
Maids in White Aprons,
Ring ye Bells a St. Catherines,
Oranges and Lemons,
Ring ye bells at St. Clements,
When will you pay me,
Ring ye Bells at ye Old Bailey,
When I am Rich,
Ring ye Bells at Fleetditch,
When will that be,
Ring ye Bells at Stepney,
When I am Old,
Ring ye Bells at Pauls.[1]

"Hmmnn," james said muttering the old rhyme, "White chapel, yup, that ties up with one of the lines and planned stations. I think we should pay a visit to that location first.
Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #319 on: June 24, 2015, 08:12:36 pm »

From the first mention of "goblin market" Reid had a rather odd expression.  He said nothing, content to let his teammates figure things out while he dealt with misgivings unrelated to the current case.
Prof. Isambard Ravenwood
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Paddle faster, I hear Banjos...

« Reply #320 on: June 24, 2015, 10:54:03 pm »

"The goblin market?..." gulped Mallard. "Celia... do you remember we first met at the goblin market, we had that trouble with Toby, the slave traders and the captain of the guard?..." he questioned looking suspicious "Well, I got a bit sidetracked when you pulled me from my browsing- I was interrogating witnesses to a particularly nasty triple homicide... OK bribing... well... to put a long story short, it is the largest gathering of goblins in the western world... and I owe them all money..." he said,staring ahead at nothing in particular. Everyone new what goblins were like when it came to settling debts...
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #321 on: June 24, 2015, 11:02:33 pm »

Celia resisted the urge to sigh.  "Oh Good Grief Mal you sure do know how to play with fire."  She paused a smile widening.  "but it may just be in our favour.  I bet the big boss would love to collect on that and I bet we can broker with that.   Getting something to offer for debt removal might be a bit of a trick."

Steampunk Away
Zeppelin Captain

Long Live The Icarus!

https://twitter.com/Steam
« Reply #322 on: June 25, 2015, 04:52:50 am »

Abraham materialized from the shadows.

"Well the our friends in white are heading for our little goblin friends. Your call."

Welcome aboard Steampunk Away! We are a small custom order shop, creating jewelry, props, costumes, drawings, and models. Email us at steampunkaway@gmail.com to have us create your special order on commission! Have a mechanical day!
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #323 on: June 25, 2015, 06:40:46 am »

"Just as well then that I have no intention of going to the market!" James said walking towards Whitehall, "I am paying a visit to the railway construction sites. If the whites are heading to the market then we should be ok." He turned pack to Mr Smith and was speaking in a whisper while pointing to his map. Mr smith was nodding as if to say no to James whispered questions. Eventually they arrived at the site and walked through the gates. "Oh you!" James called out, We are here to inspect the construction of the railway lines!"
"But we just had an inspection!" a man in a black suit and carrying a note book called out as he hurried towards the group.
"Not by our office and were the ones who matter!" Mr Smith called back, "Take us down to see the tracks!"
"But the boss.."
"Do you want to tell him that his site was shut down due to a failed inspection?"
"No sir" he stammered and lead the way down. "This way please, Ladies and Gents."
THe party was led underground and when they reached the rails James dismissed the clark and bent to examine the iron rails. "Celia, what do you make of this?" He said pointing to a rune of protection etched to the ends of the iron track joints.
Celia knelt down to examine the rune and could feel the power coming from it. She looked back up to James with a questioning look.
"It's Old Magic Celia, if I'm correct, the whole circuit around London centred around the tower will have this rune on all the iron rails.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #324 on: June 25, 2015, 08:47:17 am »

Celia ran her hand against the runes in utter disbelief.  "This is imposable  It should not be working at all.  This isn't just old magic this is magic only a Ballast should be able to complete."  She pointed to a sequence of runes that at first glance just looked like errors in the mould the iron had been cast in because the changes were so subtle.  "That sequence there is one of the most potent ones I can use.  It taps directly in to the city to bring stagnate power back in to the flow of things using a double blood sacrifice.  It should be one bit of blood from me and an other from whatever local magic holds sway.  And both have to be live blood but I haven't authorised any of this."  She realised with a sinking feeling just what the men in white were doing.  "We have to go now this section is only half consecrated. If we can stop them from spilling blood here then the tie on the Morgan should be simple to fix but if we don't breaking a fully functioning bond is going to have some nasty repercussions."
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: